PDA

View Full Version : Recovering from fractured wrist...

Cimaroon
08-09-2008, 08:30 AM
Few questions for anyone who has fractured or broke a body part....

I had a ladder kick out from me on June 10th, landed partially on my left wrist and fractured my left radius. I waited two weeks to go to hospital, mainly because I live 2 hours away from it. Anway, after a few visits to the DR I was told I had healed good and expected to be fine.

I still have scar tissue on the radius side but the pain is on the other side of my wrist from the fracture. Im trying to work out the scar tissue with different wrist range of motion exercises and whatnot. Pushups and some other weight lifting give pain.

OK, long winded here but for those with experience, should I expect the pain and scar tissue to eventually work go away??

Kevin Huang
08-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Does your primary care physician know about your injury?

RUFNTUFGIRL
08-19-2008, 06:04 PM
I broke my wrist seven years ago and I have pins in it. It took 3 months of physical therapy. I have pain more now than then. I feel it when doing push ups or using my wrist in certain positions, especially with weights. I was told back then that if the pins bothered me in the future they could go in and remove them. I do not think it is the pins that cause the pain. Hope this was helpful.

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-19-2008, 07:29 PM
did you rub some tussin on it?

Becca
08-20-2008, 10:23 AM

I had a ladder kick out from me on June 10th, landed partially on my left wrist and fractured my left radius. I waited two weeks to go to hospital, mainly because I live 2 hours away from it. Anway, after a few visits to the DR I was told I had healed good and expected to be fine.

I still have scar tissue on the radius side but the pain is on the other side of my wrist from the fracture. Im trying to work out the scar tissue with different wrist range of motion exercises and whatnot. Pushups and some other weight lifting give pain.

OK, long winded here but for those with experience, should I expect the pain and scar tissue to eventually work go away??
Unless you are working with an *actual* theripist to hehab it, no. The injury will never quite go away. With a good, experianced, liscensed therepist? Possibly, though 2 months without proper treatment might hinder recover.

My kid broke is arm pretty badly this past May; 8 weeks in a 3/4 cast and another 4 weeks in a half cast. When the cast came off the doc wanted to know if I was willing to commit him to 8 twice weelky rehab sessions. Of course I was. Not having an injury proper rehabed by a qualified therepist can cause more problems than you started out with. And my son, at 12, didn't need that kind of handicap right at the beginning of his teen years just so Mom could save a few bucks on co-pays.

So, long windedness over. My answer: go see a doctor who can get you a referal to a good therepist for rehab, distence to the doc be d@nmed.:D

RUFNTUFGIRL
08-20-2008, 12:08 PM
I am curious, did they give you an mri and tell you it was healing? I suggest that if they did not, you need to get one. If the wrist is healing in the wrong place it will never be the same. I know it may be hard to travel to the doctor, but it will be worth it.

kwaichang
08-20-2008, 03:05 PM
If the bone was X rayed and is healed then find someone to assess the arm to see if what you have is actually scar tissue and if MFR or other manual therapy can help it KC

冠木侍
08-20-2008, 06:35 PM
You should confirm with an MRI and/or an X-ray. Your long term health and safety are at risk here. I hope you have a decent insurance plan with a reasonable co-payment. :)

SAAMAG
08-22-2008, 08:02 AM

Pain...possibly, but not likely. It may go away and then return on occasion. That's the funny thing about injuries; they can cause pain even after healing "properly". For the scar tissue -- try using some of the scar cream. I used that on my wrist when I broke it and needed surgery. Worked quite nicely.

Just make sure to check with an actual DOCTOR about your injuries and pains. Though they probably won't have a good answer for you either other than to take ibuprofen when you feel pain -- it's always good to have a pro give you their opinion. A physical therapist is good for post injury rehabilitation and pain management.

Good to hear though that overall you healed. I had to take a couple YEARS off of hard training because my wrist break and subsequent surgeries. My wrist will never heal because of the damage it took -- but I've been able to accustom myself to the pain level and have worked through to be able to lift heavier weights again and make hard contact when sparring, punching, blocking, etc. So there's hope even with very bad injuries.

Good luck with everything!

Cimaroon
08-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the replies. ITs feeling better in the past few weeks. The pain is travelling though down my wrist. i think that some of it is from computer use!!