PDA

View Full Version : For an example of how not to do an armbar...

MasterKiller
08-12-2008, 07:38 PM
...see page 34 of the new issue.

WinterPalm
08-13-2008, 06:41 AM
Obviously you don't understand that when you find the mystical armbar hidden deep within form number 34, it isn't the same as BJJ but about 600% better and more effective on the street. If you want to fight on a mat then BJJ works ok, but on the street, you need form number 34 and the hidden movement called armbar.:D

I haven't actually seen the article...:eek:

SimonM
08-13-2008, 06:52 AM
Not going to be able to torque the elbow too well from that position.

Still I have bigger issue with certain comments on page 10 column 2.

SanHeChuan
08-13-2008, 07:33 AM
Ok I'll bite,

What is wrong with the armbar

MasterKiller
08-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Ok I'll bite,

What is wrong with the armbar

Well, first of all his knees aren't pinched, which A) means he's going to rack his own nuts on the guys elbow and B) isn't going to have the proper fulcrum to lock the elbow out anyway.

Second, he's too far away from the opponent, which A) means he probably won't be able to hold the guy down to prevent a reversal and B) getting underneath the opponent's shoulder (getting it off the ground) helps provide a better fulcrum.

Third, he's wearing sweat socks, which A) don't match his silks and B) probably stink.

wiz cool c
08-13-2008, 08:45 AM
September October issue of kung Fu Tai Chi?

SimonM
08-13-2008, 10:57 AM
That's right.

Three Harmonies
08-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Just saw it!:( Another example of some CMA (Benny Meng) trying to adopt BJJ principles and fill in gaps of their training, without actually getting any actual training from an ACTUAL instructor in BJJ!
Jeez, just go learn some! It is obviously not in the CMA!!!!

Jake

lkfmdc
08-13-2008, 12:13 PM
It's always sad to see an "instructor" rattle on or demonstrate something, showing they have no clue, and yet being completely unaware of how painfully obvious it is that they are out of their depth....

SanHeChuan
08-13-2008, 01:10 PM
I admit that it isn't a photo perfect arm bar, but assuming he actually got that far he could still finish the job. In real life it doesn't have to pretty.

SimonM
08-13-2008, 01:11 PM
I know from personal experience (I suck at arm bars) that there are some fairly awful things a person can do to you if you screw one up.

MasterKiller
08-13-2008, 01:15 PM
I admit that it isn't a photo perfect arm bar, but assuming he actually got that far he could still finish the job. In real life it doesn't have to pretty.

Even IF he managed to get enough leverage on the elbow without destroying his own nutsack, he's not going to pull it off against anyone with more than 2 weeks of grappling experience.

Position before submission, young Padawan. There are too many gaps between him and the opponent to allow for any sort of body control.

The feet, for example. He should be sitting tight on the guy and using his feet to hold the opponent's head in place to prevent an escape or reversal. His feet are dangling in the air.

You are right that in real life things don't always happen according to textbook, but that picture is staged. If you take the time to stage it, at least make it correct.

David Jamieson
08-13-2008, 02:59 PM
when boxers talk about wrestling, they are usually wrong.

when wing chun guys start talking about wrestling, it's the same.

I wish people would stop trying to be experts in everything. They aren't and you can't be so leave it at that.

When you seek the approval of someone else, you become their prisoner.

FTS. :D

冠木侍
08-13-2008, 03:42 PM
When you seek the approval of someone else, you become their prisoner.

QFT. Me likes it.

David Jamieson
08-14-2008, 03:10 AM
QFT. Me likes it.

It's attributed to Lao Tze