PDA

View Full Version : so how lame is this?

TenTigers
08-13-2008, 08:56 AM
People are demonstrating against the opening of Tropic Thunder because Ben Stiller plays someone who is mentally challenged.
Sure, I can understand these groups' points, but....
what about:
1) Laurel and Hardy
2) The Three Stooges
3) Jerry Lewis
4) Steve Martin in 'The Jerk"
5) Dumb and Dumber
6) The Waterboy, and probably every other character Adam Sandler has played

these are just off the top of my head, but we can go on and on.
So, can someone explain why suddenly Ben Stiller is being singled out for his role by these groups?

Apparently, these groups are being run by the mentally challenged.:rolleyes:

SimonM
08-13-2008, 09:10 AM
I'll still go to see it.

MasterKiller
08-13-2008, 09:13 AM
People are demonstrating against the opening of Tropic Thunder because Ben Stiller plays someone who is mentally challenged.
Sure, I can understand these groups' points, but....
what about:
1) Laurel and Hardy
2) The Three Stooges
3) Jerry Lewis
4) Steve Martin in 'The Jerk"
5) Dumb and Dumber
6) The Waterboy, and probably every other character Adam Sandler has played

these are just off the top of my head, but we can go on and on.
So, can someone explain why suddenly Ben Stiller is being singled out for his role by these groups?

Apparently, these groups are being run by the mentally challenged.:rolleyes:
Well, it's because the way the "movie" in the movie is marketed...It's called "Simple Tim" or something and the poster caption says "There once was a retard..."

Personally, I think retards should just lighten up.

Mr Punch
08-13-2008, 09:33 AM
Yaddadah Yaddadah... they have a point, but it's a bit silly.

I'm more disturbed by the predictability of world news.

Eat this! (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/aug/12/3)

Lucas
08-13-2008, 10:17 AM
Yaddadah Yaddadah... they have a point, but it's a bit silly.

I'm more disturbed by the predictability of world news.

Eat this! (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/aug/12/3)

now THATS world class news!

SimonM
08-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Isn't there a war on somewhere?

uki
08-13-2008, 12:05 PM
it's the age of political correctness...

SimonM
08-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Actually the era of identity politics was really the 1990s. The ideas of "political correctness" have since been largely subsumed into society and as such aren't as blatant as they used to be.

uki
08-13-2008, 12:14 PM
yeah there's war in georgia. warships are streaming towards the persian gulf, bush sent troops into georgia for humanitarian efforts... some folks are squeaking that the russian military has been ordered to destroy the incoming american fleet... just your everyday morning news anymore.

BruceSteveRoy
08-13-2008, 12:59 PM
yeah but none of that matters. i would hardly call the conflict between georgia and russia news worthy unless russia was attacking the US state of georgia. i mean seriously. why cover that when you can read the BBC coverage of Barrack and McCain both liking Frank Sinatra? Or MSNBC's coverage of old people still having sex? I am sure my local news will string together a bunch of segments about local store openings and such. bc its just not news if it isn't a string of advertisements masquerading as important local events. I mean seriously. Isn't that what matters?

o and to answer the initial question pretty **** lame. i am really looking forward to seeing this movie.

David Jamieson
08-13-2008, 02:54 PM
A tard u say? I will likely get the dvd in that case.

You forgot something about mary. I love those tards. lol

too much time on their hands and no work available is my guess.

uki
08-13-2008, 02:58 PM
i'd say the general american population are like tards in light of films such as... borat...

Shaolin Shi
08-13-2008, 07:07 PM
...the poster caption says "There once was a retard..."

And here I was thinking that describes every movie Ben Stiller has ever starred in.

uki
08-13-2008, 07:11 PM
And here I was thinking that describes every movie Ben Stiller has ever starred in.empire of the sun might be the only exception.

rogue
08-13-2008, 08:05 PM
I think Ben Stiller missed these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5GAb5MQapo&feature=related

Eric Olson
08-15-2008, 11:39 AM
I don't even know that the hell that is that I just watched.:confused::eek:

Becca
08-15-2008, 12:54 PM
... That's what they do. They are too ugly and boring to make headlines on thier own merrits. They didn't choose that movie to protest, that was the only thing left to protest after those pesky PETA people took all the good protest material.

冠木侍
08-15-2008, 03:50 PM
I don't want to be disrespectful to TT's original post but I am wondering if anyone went to see this movie and their thoughts about it.

Becca
08-15-2008, 04:09 PM
I don't want to be disrespectful to TT's original post but I am wondering if anyone went to see this movie and their thoughts about it.

Not yet; It was just released to the general public today, I think.

Becca
08-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Well, I went and saw the movie today. I took my oldest son, but not my yougest. And boy was I glad I didn't take him! It was a fantastic movie, but it was also a parody of every friggin bad Hollywood Vietnam movie out ther, including profanity so think you could cut it with a knife. My 12-year-old is old enough to know that you can enjoy a movie without thinking he needs to act/talk like the actors. My 6-year-old would have been parroting it back like a prized Maccaw.:o

And after seeing the movie, I have to say: I can see why the huggy feely types would be up in arms. It wasn't a few lines about 'retards", it was a main theme of the movie. And not a flatering theme, either. Still a great flick if you want some borderline mindless, gut busting good time.

SPJ
08-18-2008, 07:13 AM
talking about vanity or insecurites of men.

1. one has to be "retarded" to be liked or recognised.

2. one pretended to be a black dude character to be "somebody".

3. one "needed" to smoke pot to feel "better". b/c everyone laughed at him that he only knows how to f a r t and no talents.

4. one has to pretend to lose both hands and wrote a fake war tale and "live" a honored legend.

--

they all found themself back after some clashes and near death experiences (real) in the jungle of golden triangle.

--

yes, it is a long path to know what and who we really are.

but we are what we are and not other think who we are.

--

the asistant is good and not a monkey,

--

--

:D

BruceSteveRoy
08-18-2008, 07:41 AM
yeah, i thought it was a strange set of circumstances when a movie gets protested bc of making fun of mentally challenged people but robert downey jr can run around in black face and no one bats an eye.

i mean seriously he was one step away from singing "mammy."

anway, the movie was funny and i enjoyed it.

The Willow Sword
08-18-2008, 07:58 AM
This was the funniest most entertaining comedy i have seen in a very long time.
The cameos were great and the subject material was very well done. You know Ben Stiller is ridiculous, and i think that is what makes him a pretty decent comedian/actor. Now i will admit that Stiller has been in some really crappy films but flicks like "Something about Mary, Zoolander, and now Tropic Thunder are a testament of what good comedy in these days and times are about.
I left that theatre with a sore tummy:o i was laughing so hard.

Peace,TWS

Becca
08-18-2008, 10:28 AM
I loved the part where Tom Cruis's charachter was looking all intend, hit a button on a remote. Out comes Low by Flow Rida and then he starts dancing. The look on whats-his-name's face was great!:D

The Willow Sword
08-18-2008, 10:33 AM
I was thinking that Cruise's character was an amalgamate of ball bustin exec producers that Stiller and others have had to deal with over the years.:D TWS