PDA

View Full Version : Amateur Athletic Union 2008 Review

SanHeChuan
08-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Amateur Athletic Union Chinese Martial Arts Tournament 2008 Round Rock Texas.

Myself and Masherdong Both competed here although we had no clue the other was there, even though I did wear a shirt that said SanHeChuan on the back.
Htowndragon was also there but didn't compete since there was no san shou.
I was surprised that Yutyeesam wasn't there. Sha0lin1 might have been there too, I don't know. :confused:

It was a fairly small venue, one price to compete in as many events as you wanted which was cool. You did have to pay an extra 27 dollars to become an AAU member for the year which was gay, but necessary I guess. We ran out of time and didn't get to do all the events like continuous sparring. Shuaijiao and some other events got cut off which sucked hard. I was suppose to compete for 3rd in Shuaijiao but they wouldn't do it. I want a refund man!

It was fun save for the time issue. They should have put the Wushu guys in a different ring while the traditional guys went to save time. I don't think they had enough judges though. And whats with Wushu guys competing in Traditional with paired down wushu forms, that's gay.

Masherdong and I competed together in the emptyhand forms he took 1st I got 2nd, just based off scores I think I was suppose to win though. I think I got 8.3 across the board what did you get? It only bothers me that I might remember incorrectly. I'm not that old that I can't trust my memory yet am I, scary. :D

I have video but only of myself.

SanHeChuan Kung fu Badass (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEhExP511jo) :rolleyes:

masherdong
08-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Masherdong and I competed together in the emptyhand forms he took 1st I got 2nd, just based off scores I think I was suppose to win though. I think I got 8.3 across the board what did you get? It only bothers me that I might remember incorrectly. I'm not that old that I can't trust my memory yet am I, scary.

My scores were 8.3, 8.3, & 8.2. I think you had 8.3, 8.2, & 8.2 because I remember my Sifu telling me that I beat you by a tenth of a point.

It was a good tournament and probably the best run as I have seen. Everything was going smoothly up till the last 30 min when they were cancelling events and rushing people away. I didnt get to compete in knife sparring! WAAAAAHHHH!!

GLW
08-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Just to clarify...

The Contemporary Wushu division was run in the same ring as the traditional...but the scores and medals were not connected. The medals given out for those were Contemporary Wushu - like a Gold in Changquan or whatever.

The only mixing there was was in gender. The men and women in one division - Adult Traditional Northern - Intermediate - for example, ran as a group and were scored using the same yardstick... But, when the places and awards were made, the women and men were split out.

You are right about why they were not split into other rings...we had too few judges. We were expecting at least 3 to 5 more judges to show up for Traditional events. Seems that the cost of travel this year hit a lot of people. One teacher not from Austin stated that their students did not come because the cost of gas and food and hotel was too much for them this year. (Gas was the big one).

The time out - when things were canceled.... there was another event that had the area earlier and we were told we had to be out by 7 PM. This will be addressed next year.

The single price for as many events as you wish will be kept as far as I know.

Personally, I enjoyed it..and all of the competitors were great in sportsmanship and understanding.

Of course, any ideas for improvement are 100% welcome...the AAU meeting was held Sunday. There was Board business but it was open to anyone who wanted to attend. There were AAU supplied breakfast tacos from the hotel - even :)

masherdong
08-18-2008, 02:00 PM
The other thing I noticed, was that I was in the Adult Men's Int group. I signed up for the Executive (35+) Int division for empty hand, staff, and broadsword. But, that is ok. It is nice to see that the old guy can hang with the youngens. :)

masherdong
08-18-2008, 02:19 PM
GLW: Were you our Head Judge??

SanHeChuan
08-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Suggestions :D
Start Earlier, Skip the demos, Let the junior BB judge the kids to free up the senior guys to judge multiple rings. Don't kick us out until we're done. Find a loop hole for the SanDa. :D

Masherdong,
What style of northern mantis do you do? I'm wondering if we are gongfu cousins.

masherdong
08-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Masherdong,
What style of northern mantis do you do? I'm wondering if we are gongfu cousins.

We do Taiji Plum Flower Mantis, but we have a few Wah Lum Forms from Sigung Arthur D'Agostino's previous style.

GLW
08-18-2008, 03:36 PM
guilty as charged.

One thing that I mentioned in our review of things Sunday was the sign up.

I hate it when the competitor has to sign up at the judge's table. To me, it slows things down. It is confusing. I had no sheets with the divisions on them so I had to make it up on the fly as to how to get everyone signed in and into the correct divisions. I am glad there was only one Sr. in the adult...had I known, I would have made the award for that one as a gold...

Don't know how well things went...but I try to follow all of the rules and make sure that ALL required judge meetings happen. Basically, when you have judges that you are not familiar with, you need to have a short one when changing levels (Beginner to Intermediate to Advanced) and when you change divisions so you can make sure everyone is looking at the same thing. I tend to be at the lower end of the scores...but I often am more critical.

One thing that will be coming is a slight change to scoring ranges. 6-7.5 for beginners, 7.5 to 8.5 Intermediate, and 8.5 to 9.5 for advanced with 9.5 to 10 being for very advanced. The highest score a you can get for beginner is 7.5, Intermediate - 8.5 and advanced...if you get over 9.5 it is that you are approaching International level....

So...without killing me too badly, what should I do to improve as a judge?

GLW
08-18-2008, 03:41 PM
As for the other suggestions... all on track..

The idea of getting advanced people to judge the juniors for Beginner and Intermediate is something we are talking about.

We want to be able to apprentice new judges...but we also want to make sure that a person will not get either an inflated or deflated score at the same event if they judge at a lower level.

This is doable...but requires that we structure the schedule in such a way that the advanced folks can be identified and allowed to judge without messing up their preparation or the schedule for their events.

masherdong
08-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Start Earlier, Skip the demos, Let the junior BB judge the kids to free up the senior guys to judge multiple rings. Don't kick us out until we're done. Find a loop hole for the SanDa.

^^ Start earlier and dont kick people out for something they already paid for. If you do, then get ready to give some partial refunds back. I would still like to see the demos, those are what get people into the MA's.

xcakid
08-19-2008, 06:37 AM
Just to clarify...

Seems that the cost of travel this year hit a lot of people. One teacher not from Austin stated that their students did not come because the cost of gas and food and hotel was too much for them this year. (Gas was the big one).

That's what kept me out. I woulda had to either drive down a get a hotel or fly down rent a car and get a hotel. I just couldn't spare $200-300 for a weekend right now.

Good to hear fun was had by all and that there would be a next year.

masherdong
08-19-2008, 06:57 AM
My videos are up:

www.youtube.com/user/masherdong

As stated before, I won Gold for Empty Hands, Silver for Staff, and Bronze for Broadsword. Enjoy!

sha0lin1
08-19-2008, 07:37 AM
[QUOTE=SanHeChuan;878156]Amateur Athletic Union Chinese Martial Arts Tournament 2008 Round Rock Texas.

Myself and Masherdong Both competed here although we had no clue the other was there, even though I did wear a shirt that said SanHeChuan on the back.
Htowndragon was also there but didn't compete since there was no san shou.
I was surprised that Yutyeesam wasn't there. Sha0lin1 might have been there too, I don't know. :confused:

Yes I was there, for coaching my students though, not competing. I was the guy in the red pants with the vest. I had three competitors for forms and as a school we did pretty good. I had one in childrens 8-11 and he got a silver for open hand. I had one in northern traditional intermediate open hand, and staff, and beginner wushu long fist. The guy with the beard and bald head. He got Bronze, Gold, and Gold respectively. I had another adult competitor for beginner northern open hand and he tied for third but ended up loosing by the way they broke the tie.

They didn't have enough judges, there should be 4 corner judges and a center and all rings only had 2 and the center. I thought the judging left much to be desired. My guy should have at least got silver in his open hand, he rocked it! His stances were high though but his speed, power and form were right on. He almost got disqaulified because he completed his form in 29.5 seconds with a 30 second minimum. This kind of irks me, when we train we train to burn our forms, the way wushu is supposed to be. Seemed like you got rewarded for slow, methodical performances that looked like dancing. Heck, one guy dropped his spear almost spearing one of the shuai jiao competitors in the back and one judge gave him an 8.9? I guess they gave out extra points for errors. One of Shi Yan Feng's students (the little boy in the yellow) was there as well. This kid was phenomenal for 8 years old. He was clearly better than the rest of his peers but still got second in his open hand division.

Wished I would have known you guys were there, I would have liked to have met you in person. I do remember seeing you in that shirt, but I didn't put two and two together at the time.

masherdong
08-19-2008, 08:10 AM
Seemed like you got rewarded for slow, methodical performances that looked like dancing.

I was slow and methodical?? I looked like I was dancing?? Based on everyone's feedback at the tournament, I rocked. :confused:

GLW
08-19-2008, 08:17 AM
Well...the things that everyone always talks about in reviewing a competition are :
Did the competition start on time
Did it seem organized and under control
Was the judging OK.

I agree 100% about the time. I am used to starting with competitors around 10 AM... At Taiji legacy, we usually hit the rings around 11 due to he demo portion. 2 PM is just too late for my tastes.

I agree about the number of judges. I prefer having 5 scoring and then the head judge (does not score). There is a lot going on for a Head judge to do to have to score as well...

I would also like to add that while I can't speak for all judges, I know that most - especially myself - appreciate it when a competitor comes up and asks for clarification on their score and what we were looking at.

Now, keep in mind this has to be done AFTER they are done competing in areas where they may be judged by the judge they are asking. We can't talk about technique or specifics with any competitor while I am judging. It would be inappropriate and close to score tampering.

GLW
08-19-2008, 08:17 AM
As for the time limits :
The time limit for Traditional is set at 30 seconds. It will be changed to 45 seconds for Advanced and left at 30 seconds for Beginner and Intermediate. There is going to be a proviso in this. That is, if you KNOW your routine is not 45 seconds long, you must inform the judge of the expected time and you will be given a leeway - that is not yet determined but it will be something like you saying..My form is 30 seconds long...so you would be held to 25 to 35 seconds for time.

No one was disqualified for time. What was told to all competitors at the sign in when everyone was supposed to be standing there was that time limits would NOT be enforced for Beginner and Intermediate competitors. However, we WOULD inform them when they went under time so they could adjust for that in the future. There were only a few that were under, NONE were in advanced. The advanced competitors had the time limit enforced...and there were no time limit problems there.

Time limit deductions are not a disqualification. They are a Head Judge deduction. This means that you get your scores...do the calculations to get the final score...announce that score and then announce the under time deduction and announce the final score with deduction...which is the one that is used for placement.

GLW
08-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Tiebreakers:
For ties...if there is a tie and one of the people had a Head Judge deduction, the leading place goes to the person with the deduction. The reasoning is that the person would have been ahead had they not had the deduction.

Now is where the ties get tricky... With 5 judges scoring, you drop the low and high..average the 3 remaing scores. If there is a tie, you add in the low and high and average again. If there is still a tie, you look at the high score. If there is still a tie, you look at the low score. If there is still a tie, you award two medals of the place and no medal for the following place. (as in, if there is a tie for first that can't be broken in the 3 tie breakers, you award 2 first place, no second, then a third.

With fewer judges...and we only had 3...I would have preferred to run 1 less ring with both rings have a full set of judges....but that was not my call....

So...with 3 judges, you can't add in a dropped low and high...so you go to tiebreaker #2...look at the high score. Then you look at the low score if there is still a tie...and then if it is still tied, you give 2 awards for the position.

We had one actual tie that could not be broken this way.

There WAS a problem with at least one other ring... They were doing ties with re-performing. None of the competitions around for Chinese Arts do re-performing. This was a hold over with a couple of people being used to Karate events and it WAS how the AAU CMA rules were specified a few years back...3 or 4 years ago.

The reason for NOT doing a reperform:

If you do the same form: Judges will know what to look for...and this boils down to at any time, two close individuals can jockey for 1st and second....IF they are truly tied....so we assume they really are...so we don't want to do this. Tiebreaker reperforming also takes more time...

Then...do you allow the same routine or require a different one...? If so...how do you handle things like: Taiji - sword...most only know one sword set. Traditional Broadsword...how many sets do most know for this... I know 2 or 3...but generally practice only the one I am performing when I have a demo. Other weapons... You walk in to do Kwan Dao and tie...now you have to do another set...Kwan Dao...I only know one...would I have to create one or change weapons?

We took more of the gymnastic approach - no re-performing in those..and NEVER in the Olympics. (as we saw last night).

GLW
08-19-2008, 08:23 AM
I posted those things separately because they are all good points needing information and clarification.

What I described was the rules as they sit right now. If anyone wants to submit a suggestion for the rules to be changed...send me a note here...or post it or send me a note asking for my email.... We are ALWAYS looking for suggestions. What happens then is the ideas are taken to the Rules Committee...if all of those people agree...the changes are submitted to the Executive Board. The Board rules are such that there has to be a 2/3 majority vote to NOT accept the Rules Committee recommendations...so..basically, if the Rules Committee says yes...it is pretty much a done deal.

In fact, if anyone wants to get active and be ON the Rules Committee, we have open slots and are looking for diversity in styles. You probably do NOT want to still be competing as that looks a bit strange. :)

mkriii
08-19-2008, 08:52 AM
Does Nick Scrima (of Florida) still have anything to do with the UUA? He used to be president of it didn't he? Or am I mistaken?

xcakid
08-19-2008, 09:31 AM
As for the time limits :
The time limit for Traditional is set at 30 seconds. It will be changed to 45 seconds for Advanced and left at 30 seconds for Beginner and Intermediate. There is going to be a proviso in this. That is, if you KNOW your routine is not 45 seconds long, you must inform the judge of the expected time and you will be given a leeway - that is not yet determined but it will be something like you saying..My form is 30 seconds long...so you would be held to 25 to 35 seconds for time.

Confused here. Are you talking about 30 minimum or maximum??:confused:

Cause if it is maximum, even Lien Bu Chuan or Gung Li Chuan(taught at begging or intermediate in Long Fist) is going to be over 45secs. Only form I know that is less than 30secs is Lien Huan and Lohan Shi Ba Shou.

I don't think I have ever learned an intermediate/Advanced form less than 50 secs. And I've taken 3 different kung fu styles.

Taiji Legacy limits are 30sec min/2min max for beginner to advanced traditional forms. Matter of fact most kf tournaments I have been to are much in the same way.

Please say it isn't so with the 30sec time limit. That would definitely put me out. 99% of the form I know of and/or compete with last 50secs+ Unless I do a white belt form in the advanced division. :confused:

Am I reading your post incorrectly??

GLW
08-19-2008, 09:45 AM
It is a 30 second minimum time. I don't believe the AAU rules specify a maximum time limit for External...definitely for internal - and the Internal minimums are different. We just don't want someone to come out and expect to be judged on the entire Yang long form.

The minimum time for external for advanced level was/is being changed to 45 seconds...with the proviso I outlined earlier. For beginner and intermediate, the minimum is still 30 seconds. (the AAU national org did not get the updated rules on the web site even though they were turned in around 9 or 10 months ago - so we had to use the old rules in many places)

The proviso for shorter was something I pushed for. I know people who do Fanziquan. One of those sets is like a lightening set...and should be less than 30 seconds with tons of fa jing. a very hard routine to do well...but not seen too often.

Currently, David Pickens is the Chairman of the AAU CMA. When Nick Scrima stepped down, Dug Corpolongo became the Chairman. He stayed in the job about 2 years. During that time, the bylaws and rules were reworked. The rules were brought in line with what other groups use. The bylaws were changed to make the entire organization accountable to the members and more democratic. The original bylaws put pretty much all of the power in the Chairman's hands and no real accountability.

Now, when there are openings for board positions or committee positions, anyone can submit names and there are voting procedures. There are also procedures for doing no-confidence votes and removing people who are not doing what the membership wishes. That in itself is a giant leap forward for any Chinese Martial Arts org.

xcakid
08-19-2008, 01:50 PM
It is a 30 second minimum time. I don't believe the AAU rules specify a maximum time limit for External...definitely for internal - and the Internal minimums are different. We just don't want someone to come out and expect to be judged on the entire Yang long form.

The minimum time for external for advanced level was/is being changed to 45 seconds...with the proviso I outlined earlier. For beginner and intermediate, the minimum is still 30 seconds. (the AAU national org did not get the updated rules on the web site even though they were turned in around 9 or 10 months ago - so we had to use the old rules in many places)

The proviso for shorter was something I pushed for. I know people who do Fanziquan. One of those sets is like a lightening set...and should be less than 30 seconds with tons of fa jing. a very hard routine to do well...but not seen too often.

Cool thanks for the clarification. I DID read the incorrectly then. :D

GLW
08-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Sure...

Just to clarify on what the judges are supposed to be looking at:

There are a total of 10 points possible for a perfect score.

Of the 10 points:

6 points are for technique.
This means how you throw a punch, how you use stances, stepping, stability, etc... So, say you bobble on landing in Ma Bu instead of being solid, this is where the deduction happens. If your foot always collapses a little inward when doing Gong Bu (front stance), there is a deduction. If you are doing straightsword or broadsword and hit yourself with the sword or draw the sharp part of the blade across your body, this is where the deduction happens... and that last one is a biggie... (There was one competitor with a bladed weapon that drew the blade - sharp side - across their body at least 4 times in one set...and the last one was actually across the neck and could have been fatal with a razor sharp sword.)

Then there are 2 points for speed and power.
Speed and power are supposed to come out of correct technique - hence the smaller number of points.

Then there are 2 points for spirit, focus, displaying the aspects of the style you are doing, sense of application usage, ...and so on.

Now, these are the guidelines...and if there is disagreement with the items evaluated or the points for them, then this is where and what to make suggestions on.

So, if a competitor comes out and displays a lot of speed, power, spirit, and such...but every time they hit a stance in front of the judges, the rise up, slide, lose balance, etc...or if they punch fast and with power, but the fist and wrist are not aligned well...as in you would break your wrist if you hit something... The points a competitor gets for the speed, power, and martial understanding can be heavily offset by missing stance work or mistakes in technique.

Form competition is different in this way from Sanda. In Sanda, if your stance is off but you make contact and do damage...bingo - not much else matters.

masherdong
08-19-2008, 04:51 PM
(There was one competitor with a bladed weapon that drew the blade - sharp side - across their body at least 4 times in one set...and the last one was actually across the neck and could have been fatal with a razor sharp sword.)

Whoa! I hope that wasnt me! I mean, there were only 4 of us doing broadsword in the Intermediate division.

GLW
08-19-2008, 06:27 PM
didn't say if it was broadsword or straightsword... or anything...and not gonna do it :)

But it was NOT you.... on any weapon.

masherdong
08-19-2008, 07:14 PM
But it was NOT you.... on any weapon.

Ok, I feel better now. :D

sha0lin1
08-20-2008, 07:22 AM
I was slow and methodical?? I looked like I was dancing?? Based on everyone's feedback at the tournament, I rocked. :confused:

Not a personal attack at all, please don't take it that way. What I meant were the majority of competitors in general. Your routine was one of the better ones.

SanHeChuan
08-21-2008, 12:02 AM
GLW

Who was that austin custom sword maker you mentioned at the tournament?

masherdong
08-21-2008, 05:38 AM
Not a personal attack at all, please don't take it that way. What I meant were the majority of competitors in general. Your routine was one of the better ones.

Ok, well thanks! :D

GLW
08-21-2008, 08:31 AM
Dan Watson with Angel Sword.

http://www.angelsword.com/

He does pretty much all custom stuff. If he has a blade that you like already made - the price is cheaper...but if you want one 100% custom, he does that too.

right now, he has no Jian, but those and his Yang style Taiji Daos are excellent.

sha0lin1
08-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Dan Watson with Angel Sword.

http://www.angelsword.com/

He does pretty much all custom stuff. If he has a blade that you like already made - the price is cheaper...but if you want one 100% custom, he does that too.

right now, he has no Jian, but those and his Yang style Taiji Daos are excellent.

Yes he is good, he also sells antiques that have been restored or repaired. A few years ago he made a Jian for my friend and it was and is an excellent sword. It was cool because when we went there to check it out he gave us a really amazing 2 hour tour and showed us how he makes his swords as well. He is also an excellent swordsman and a very nice guy. I would definitely recommend him to anyone in the market. But his swords aren't cheap.

ngokfei
08-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Wasn't able to attend but definetly support the AAU CMA as one of the oldest Organizations in the US Promoting CMA.

Having spoken to quite a few individuals who did attend, certain items came up as "Bumps" to the overall success of the event.

1. Started Way to late in the day - AM start times is the Norm. in this industry.

2. Unlimited Event Participation seems nice but as we see it overwhelmed the judges and the time constraints. Not practical - perhaps if the Individual pays for 3 events then all other events would be free. Prevents frivalous competition.

3. Understandable the time ran out but there should be some compensation for those individuals who primarily attended the tournament to compete in those events that were canceled.

4. IMO since we are trying to promote AAU CMA and gain representatives throughout the US. Then perhaps waiving the Membership Fee for the 1st year seems logical.

SanHeChuan
08-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the sword info.

SanHeChuan
08-21-2008, 11:03 AM
2. Unlimited Event Participation seems nice but as we see it overwhelmed the judges and the time constraints. Not practical - perhaps if the Individual pays for 3 events then all other events would be free. Prevents frivalous competition.

You can SHUT THE HELL up with that one. :mad: There wasn't too many competitors there were too few judges. Frivolous competition my ass, :rolleyes: the more the better, ever been in a division where you were the only one, or got a medal only because there weren't any other competitors in your division. :eek:
If the competition is too lite the whole thing isn't even worth doing.

masherdong
08-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Frivolous competition my ass, the more the better, ever been in a division where you were the only one, or got a medal only because there weren't any other competitors in your division.
If the competition is too lite the whole thing isn't even worth doing.

Werd! As stated earlier in this thread, I was the only one in the Executive age group for Int Forms. Yeah, sure I would of won a Gold medal because no one else was in my division. I think that I would take a Bronze over that Gold because I feel that the Bronze was more earned. Dont get me wrong, I would still take the gold, but it just would not be the same. Plus, it is nice to know that I can hang with the younger crowd, because those guys look FLAWLESS!

GeneChing
08-21-2008, 11:26 AM
The AAU promised to donate spectator proceeds and raffle proceeds (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=866976&postcount=28) to the Tiger Claw Foundation's Martial Arts Benefit for Quake Victims Fund (http://tigerclawfoundation.org/friends/Quake/index.html).

masherdong
08-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Dont know. It looked like a small turnout due to gas prices.

SanHeChuan
08-21-2008, 01:47 PM
I would guesstamate around 60 spectators. I do know they got like 500 dollars from the raffle. :eek:

GLW
08-21-2008, 03:45 PM
I don't know how much the raffle brought in...but it was not 500....maybe around 200. It looks like more when each chance is a dollar...and you have lots of dollar bills....

Anyway, I have been in contact with Dave Pickens.

He is pretty busy trying to get all of the after event things summed up as well as dealing with this time of year. Those with schools know that public school starts soon for kids...so the school kids programs are all gearing up making things hectic.

Anyway, he passed this on...:

Thanks to Gene Ching for mentioning the event and for the opportunity to help out the earthquake victims.

He also stated that he should have the bookkeeping things done and the final figures in a week.

ngokfei
08-21-2008, 04:18 PM
sanhequan

yeah it may be of benefit to you but what about the judges.

they do this out of the goodness of their heart. No financial benefit or ideal compensation for them. So like alot of tournaments thats why the numbers of judges has dwindled.

Tell me of another tournament that allows a Competitor the ability to jump into a minimum of 8 divisions for only 1 fee!!!

there's always those who want something for nothing and willing to give nothing in return.

PizzOff:p

Wow that was fast Gene - must be the Buddha Palm you've been training:D Not as bad as Jessie James (the bike builder) who tattooed on his palm "Pay Up Sucker".

On the positive note I see the AAU CMA events getting more popular and numerous to the point where the title "National Championships" actually means what it says. Takes time.

GeneChing
08-21-2008, 04:43 PM
...I'm fast as Usain Bolt. ;)

Don't get me wrong. I know Dave is a good man and will make good on his promises. I was just curious how it went.

SanHeChuan
08-21-2008, 08:37 PM
He said someone made a generous donation so maybe that's where the other dollar amount I'm thinking of came from.

yeah it may be of benefit to you but what about the judges.

they do this out of the goodness of their heart. No financial benefit or ideal compensation for them. So like alot of tournaments thats why the numbers of judges has dwindled.

Tell me of another tournament that allows a Competitor the ability to jump into a minimum of 8 divisions for only 1 fee!!!

there's always those who want something for nothing and willing to give nothing in return.

PizzOff

I've been a judge before. Sitting there is not hard work. And AAU was not that big of an event that they needed to limit the field of competition in any way. The extra money doesn't go to the judges, anyway. They are giving there time just the same. If I have to pay out the ass, they better be paying the judges and make **** sure there is enough of them. If we're going to roll big then lets play big. Paying near a hundred dollars for a tournament that you get kicked out of before it's done. :rolleyes: Tournament fees and judges are two different issues anyway, when my fees go to the judges then we can talk.

GLW
08-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Hmm...I guess being a scoring judge is not that bad. You do get to basically sit there watch and score. Although, usually the chairs are totally uncomfortable and you bet lead butt after a while.

As for Head Judge job...different. It is like herding cats sometimes. You try to get the competitors in one place...they aren't too bad...but then you give your judges a "10 minute" bathroom break - and are still trying to round them up 20 minutes later. You wake up the next day with no voice because of calling out scores and names. You have to make sure the timekeepers and scorekeepers do it right because you virtually never have someone who has done it before. (Dug Corpolongo was lucky this time...he had my wife doing scorekeeper...and she is an accountant...fast with the adding machine....)

GLW
08-22-2008, 03:41 PM
A note from Dave Pickens, the Chairman of the AAU Chinese Martial Arts division (he was having trouble getting online here...I imagine he may not have a current account set up...)

Cut and pasted from a note he asked meto post when he discovered the problem :

--------------------------
I can say with complete certainty our event next year will be the best yet in set up and event time and quality.

It isto be held on Saturday August 22,2009 at the Clay Madsen Center and the Marriott.

First we are getting software that will do away with our archaic way of registration. Our registration form is being transformed to include everything we need to make sure you only need to on line register, sign in, and compete at one cost!
Our date is set for Saturday August 22, 2009 and workshops will be at the Marriott on Sunday the 23.
Late registration will be at the site Clay Madsen Center Saturday morning from 8 – 10 AM.
10 AM Opening Ceremonies will include Team competitions

A Ring Clinic so that Parent, Competitors, and Spectators will

receive insight into what to expect.

Children’s forms competitions starting immediately following the clinic. There

will be 4 separate rings for each child division and we will run

them until all but applications are finished. They then will go

to the applications rings participate in Sparring and Foam Sword & Staff

in one ring and Wrestling and Form Swords in the other.

Immediately upon completion of Children’s Forms All Adult

divisions will begin we will be flexible to allow internal and

external competitors to move back and forth between rings.

Adult applications will take place in four different rings, one

for Sparring, one for Wrestling, one for Pushing Hands, One

for Foam Weapons and rubber knifes.

Saturday night have the Masters Demo and finals mixed with advanced form champions expo at the hotel with a friendship party following the event right in the same ballroom.

We are working to make this as competitor friendly as possible and we will continue to make every effort to work on humanitarian projects such has the China relieve fund.

Our raffle took place and drew $206....the gate took in approximately another $200, I am personally going to add to this to make it $500 and anyone else that feels compelled to donate would be gladly accepted. While China puts on it's sunny shinny face for the world via the Olympics, there is still some serious aid that is needed. We need to address this situation as the major problem it is and follow up closely on where the money is going and who it is helping. I value the Olympic movement, I also think as a citizen of the world we insist that we get a full accounting for the aid and the peoples well fare.

So that is where we are so far I will be in San Francisco next weekend by then we should have the totals on the AAU contribution to the Tiger Claw foundation.

Dave Pickens

ngokfei
08-22-2008, 03:50 PM
Sanhequan

See, you've just proved my points:D

GLW

and the benefits are:
1. Sitting on a Chair all Day till you butt goes numb.
2. Limited if any bathroom breaks.
3. If your hungry you better brown bag it.
4. Only able to see the performances in the division your judging.
5. Sharing a room with a strange/r.

Judges minimum expectation wish list:
1. Breakfast, lunch and perhaps dinner/Drinks:D
2. Room Compensation (based on the number of divisions being judged)
3. A video of the tournament - or at least the Master's Demo

SanHeChuan
08-22-2008, 04:19 PM
I think we are having two different arguments then.

I am not arguing against the compensation of the judges. I'm arguing against spending more to compete, the proceeds of which don't go to the judges and there for don't relieve the judges burden in any way.

ngokfei
08-22-2008, 04:33 PM
for such a new Tournament it isn't feasible to offer unlimited competition for 1 fee.

this has burdens.

The limited number of judges get burned out from the enormous # of competitors in each division. (ex: what would normally be around 10-15 might jump to 25-30)_

So it may not be popular with the competitors we have to remember the generosity of the judges. this will also prevent the judges from just throwing out whatever score just to get through the division quicker.

Perhaps in a few years when the tournament Circuit for AAU CMA grows and there is now a healthy pool of judges then a 1 fee for all would be welcomed and appreciated.

Also this might have been the reason why so many divisions were canceled. Time just ran out - too many compeitors in the divisions:confused:

SanHeChuan
08-22-2008, 04:41 PM
The limited number of judges get burned out from the enormous # of competitors in each division. (ex: what would normally be around 10-15 might jump to 25-30)_

Most tournaments are not that big, certainly none I've been to. This one wasn't, 10 would have been about the max for any division. Second the # of judges will always be proportional to the # of competitors, because save for a few lone wolves it is the judges who bring their students to the tournament in the first place.

sjnation
08-23-2008, 02:26 AM
How did the Shuaijiao division go? I was contemplating whether to come out or not but i was tied up at work.

SanHeChuan
08-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Well, there was a good number of competitors, but time ran out so we didn't get to play for bronze. Other than the time it was great fun.

sjnation
08-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Sounds nice! I was meaning to come down and compete and watch but time and funding issues got in the way. For the competitors can you estimate some sort of number? I'm trying to keep track of shuaijiao tournaments across the country. Also do you know anyone that would have the results? It sucks that time ran out, hopefully they could make things work more smoothly next time, I plan on going to that one for sure. Thanks.

yutyeesam
08-24-2008, 01:17 AM

Hey there. Yeah, I've been out of the loop in the world of CMA. I've switched gears a bit. I'm at UT these days.

Although, I have been coming up with some really fun drills, that just may turn into a sporting event! :D

Your mantis form looks good.

I am committing acts of treachery, vandalism, and totally violating my CLF forms. AND, I'm going to teach them to my students! [insert techno music]

Wii Chuan

htowndragon
08-24-2008, 04:01 AM
yutyeesam

you teach at UT?

masherdong
08-24-2008, 07:23 AM
Your mantis form looks good.

Mine or SanHeChuan's?

yutyeesam
08-24-2008, 08:06 AM
yutyeesam

you teach at UT?

htown-
I am an administrator in the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement, and I will have a faculty appointment in the spring.

I've been meaning to contact you, actually. We have some friends in common. Also, there's an organization who I think would love to showcase your San Da talents.

yutyeesam
08-24-2008, 08:08 AM
Mine or SanHeChuan's?

I was talking about SanHeChuan's....I haven't peeked at yours. Will do. I'm sure it is good.

What school do you train at?

masherdong
08-24-2008, 08:24 AM
I was talking about SanHeChuan's....I haven't peeked at yours. Will do. I'm sure it is good.

What school do you train at?

Oh, ok. I have the links to my vids here in this thread back on page 1.

I train at Jade Mountain Martial Arts in Katy, Texas.

Here is our website:

www.jademountain.org

SanHeChuan
08-24-2008, 11:40 AM
yutyeesam

Are you still getting some of your students San Da ready? How's that coming along? Did you move all your classes up north?

htowndragon
08-24-2008, 02:13 PM
email me at htowndragon@gmail.com and ill give you my number. i live on west campus and am attending ACC for a semester, so i should have some time outside of work.

yutyeesam
08-24-2008, 06:16 PM
yutyeesam

Are you still getting some of your students San Da ready? How's that coming along? Did you move all your classes up north?

Yeah, we're up north. Unfortunately, none of my current roster has much of a desire to compete in that realm.

The dudes that were were in the South, but I had to close that location b/c of my new position at UT (I also hated the commute from N. Austin to S. Austin in 5pm traffic).

You finding some more arenas to compete in around here/central Texas?

SanHeChuan
08-25-2008, 12:06 AM
How did the Shuaijiao division go? I was contemplating whether to come out or not but i was tied up at work.

Besides the shuaijiao already in my video, here is another shuaijiao video from the tournament.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdUTnrN95L0

masherdong
08-25-2008, 05:59 AM
Besides the shuaijiao already in my video, here is another shuaijiao video from the tournament.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdUTnrN95L0

The white belt is from our school! Hooray for Whit! Now, the Blue Belt I had to go against in Push Hands. Keep in mind that he was in the Lt Hvywt division for Shuai Chiao. I am 156 lbs and I was being tossed around like a little rag doll in push hands!!

SanHeChuan
08-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Yes he was 191 lbs :eek:

masherdong
08-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Yes he was 191 lbs :eek:

Well no wonder he wouldnt budge!

SanHeChuan
08-25-2008, 01:26 PM
I can budge him either, and we weight the same. I don't have much experience in push hands though. He definitely has some skills behind all that weight too.

sjnation
08-26-2008, 02:20 AM
Thanks SanHeChuan for the clips, I'll be making a post on my site soon about the tournament. Check it out in a few days! If you guys have anymore info on the shuaijiao division or pictures or anything, email me or contact me through the site. I'd love to check them out!

GeneChing
10-06-2008, 01:17 PM
I've just received a gracious personal letter from Dave Pickens, USA AAU National Chair, along with donation for $500 for the Tiger Claw Foundation's Martial Arts Benefit for Quake Victims Fund (http://tigerclawfoundation.org/). Thanks to Dave and the AAU for their generous contribution to the cause.