PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin workout regime

Raipizo
08-18-2008, 09:18 PM
anyone know the shaolin workout regime???

uki
08-19-2008, 03:38 AM
punch, kick, bow... :)

Raipizo
08-19-2008, 10:03 PM
i was looking into possibly more depth than that...

Lucas
08-19-2008, 11:58 PM
full body warm up, stretching, running, pushups, situps, crawling, etc., qigong/meditation/stances, conditioning, form/technique, sanda/two man drills, cool down.

give or take.

throw some food in there.

give or take its about the same as a lot of other peoples. its some of the material and methods that you would notice some differences in.

SevenStar
08-26-2008, 05:42 PM
strength training - padlocks, boulders, etc.

Shaolin
08-28-2008, 08:17 PM
1st exercise: Wake up at 4:30am, meditate. Do your 8 section brocade. 5 minute stretch. Go run a mile or two. Another 5 minute stretch. Next, (to start) practice the 18 Arhat skills 20 x each side. If you can do more, do more. Heavy stretch, this time hold each stretch for 5 minutes.

2nd exercise: 5 minute stretch. Practice 18 Arhat skills as warm up. Forms practice. Play with all of your older forms 5x each. Play with all newer sets 10x each. Heavy stretch holding each stretch for 5 minutes.

Do this Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday to start. Others will tell you train everyday, remember you're just starting out, build your body up don't burn it out. Train hard, stay pure.

Peace and Love,
Shaolin Kung Fu

Raipizo
09-14-2008, 06:01 PM
so your a sensei eh?

uki
09-15-2008, 03:14 AM
so your a sensei eh?sensei is japanese...

MightyB
09-15-2008, 08:09 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Shaolin-Workout-Days-Transforming-Warriors/dp/1594864004/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221491309&sr=8-1

here ya go! ;)

iron_leg_dave
09-15-2008, 12:49 PM
1st exercise: Wake up at 4:30am, meditate. Do your 8 section brocade. 5 minute stretch. Go run a mile or two. Another 5 minute stretch. Next, (to start) practice the 18 Arhat skills 20 x each side. If you can do more, do more. Heavy stretch, this time hold each stretch for 5 minutes.

2nd exercise: 5 minute stretch. Practice 18 Arhat skills as warm up. Forms practice. Play with all of your older forms 5x each. Play with all newer sets 10x each. Heavy stretch holding each stretch for 5 minutes.

Do this Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday to start. Others will tell you train everyday, remember you're just starting out, build your body up don't burn it out. Train hard, stay pure.

Peace and Love,
Shaolin Kung Fu

For sure, this is an awesome post.

I would add that in addition, in the evening you should do this when you can work up to it:

Warm up the muscles with your qigong, then hit the floor and do hands near the armpit pushups, roll over and do bicycle kicks, repeat three times, roll back over and do wide pushups, roll over and do flutter kicks, repeat three times, roll over and do standard pushups, roll over and do a static V.

Then practice all your kicks independent of any forms, in a line back and forth and any hand techniques you need to work on.

Also, drink plenty of water throughout the day.

Fa Xing
09-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Heavy stretch, this time hold each stretch for 5 minutes.

I didn't look for anything on this but generally holding a stretch longer than 30 seconds causes the stretch receptors to disengage. You are not really benefiting much from this "heavy" stretching.

IronWeasel
09-15-2008, 03:45 PM
I didn't look for anything on this but generally holding a stretch longer than 30 seconds causes the stretch receptors to disengage. You are not really benefiting much from this "heavy" stretching.

...stretch receptors?

iron_leg_dave
09-16-2008, 06:22 AM
...stretch receptors?

Akron, do you train at Tony Yang's?

If not, just out of curiousity, why?

Fa Xing
09-16-2008, 07:48 AM
...stretch receptors?

From eMedicine.com (http://www.emedicine.com/asp/dictionary.asp?keyword=stretch+receptors)
stretch receptors

Pronunciation: ( strech re-sepĒtŏrz) receptors that are sensitive to elongation, especially those in Golgi tendon organs and muscle spindles, but also those found in visceral organs such as the stomach, small intestine, and urinary bladder.

Golgi tendon organ

Pronunciation: ( golĒje tenĒdun orĒgan) A proprioceptive sensory nerve ending embedded among the fibers of a tendon, often near the musculotendinous junction; it is activated by any increase of tension in the tendon, caused either by active contraction or passive stretch of the corresponding muscle. syn: neurotendinous spindle

Honestly a stretch lasting any longer than 30 seconds tends to hurt the stretch even more. Keep the stretch down and focus on some body weight exercises with the stretching in order to maintain strength, as well as flexibility, in full range of motion.

IronWeasel
09-16-2008, 02:20 PM
Akron, do you train at Tony Yang's?

If not, just out of curiousity, why?

I've heard that it's a good school, and I watched his tournament last spring.

Personally, I don't think I would be happy training in Mantis *ONLY*. I'm glad that I learned techniques from multiple styles.

I trained at Green Dragon, and now Ho Chun, and I'm very happy with my training.

IronWeasel

iron_leg_dave
09-16-2008, 03:17 PM
I've heard that it's a good school, and I watched his tournament last spring.

Personally, I don't think I would be happy training in Mantis *ONLY*. I'm glad that I learned techniques from multiple styles.

I trained at Green Dragon, and now Ho Chun, and I'm very happy with my training.

IronWeasel

They are the best Baji school in the U.S from what I'm told, there is also longfist and Tony's abstract tai qi form.

There used to be a good LF school in canton too, I'm told, called red dragon kwoon, but when I was last there a few years ago, I found it, it was at the YMCA or a gym or something and it was a joke.

Anyway, I learned the first traditional baji form from someone that went to that school. It is just called "baji piqua" not the small frame baji. I must say, it is quite deep and powerful gong fu.

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Honestly a stretch lasting any longer than 30 seconds tends to hurt the stretch even more. Keep the stretch down and focus on some body weight exercises with the stretching in order to maintain strength, as well as flexibility, in full range of motion.

Reply]
I know a high level gymnastics coach who would have her athletes hold 2-3 minutes at a time, generally 2 minutes. They were the most flexible people i have ever seen.

Before I became a fat out of shape middle aged man, I could do splits all the way down, ice cold, no warm up. I also held each for 2-3 minutes. I can stilll do it for the most part, but I need an extensive warm up now.

30 seconds is not nearly enough to get the muscles to fully relax and stretch to thier full length, let alone develop any more flexibility.

In both my experience, and my daughter's old coach, anything more than 3 minutes does nothing productive, but it won't hurt either.

Over stretching is when you try to go too far beyond your current range. This is most people's mistake. It actually causes your muscles to fight the stretch as they see it as a potential injury that must be avoided. It is better to hold longer, but push the limit of your range of motion less.

There are several keys to getting really flexible.

1. Warm up as much as you can before doing flexibility workouts that are designed to improve range of motion. After the day's workout when you are still very hot, and tired is best.

2. Stretch lightly AFTER a cardio warmup, and PRIOR to every workout session. Hold each stretch for 30-60 second prior to the workout for injury prevention (not improving your flexibility)

3. Relax and stretch slowly and evenly, never bouncing, and never pushing hard. Take it one small slice at a time, never try to eat the whole pie in one bite.

4. Hold each stretch for full 2-3 minutes to actually improve range of motion and develop greater flexibility. More is fine, but not very productive.

Remember, the body can only develop so fast. It is better to do a greater variety of stretching exercises, holding for less time (no less than2 minutes) than hold less stretches longer (over 3 minutes). Stretching fully is for after every workout. Stretching light is for injury prevention Prior to a workout, but after the warmup.

Don't workout every day. Make sure you have scheduled recovery time. Also, eat 50% fruits and veggies, 50% lean meats, with more fruits and veggies early to mid day, and more meats later so you are protine loaded when you recover during sleep.