PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think

Shaolin Dude
08-20-2008, 09:45 PM
about having a criminal training in your school's?

1bad65
08-20-2008, 10:06 PM
It depends on the crime. I wouldn't train with a rapist or child molester for example, but wouldn't care if I trained with a tax cheat.

Kevin Huang
08-21-2008, 05:43 AM
I have had people with criminal records training in my school, but they typically didn't last.

These people typically had trouble with the discipline, humility, respect, focus, and other aspects of training that is required to do kung fu regularly.

Shaolinlueb
08-21-2008, 08:03 AM
i had a student who i found out down the road was on probation and was a level 1 sex offender. i asked him to Elva. he understood. nice guy but i can't have him around.

one of my older students he had a record for stuff he did 30 years ago, he was fine.

Lucas
08-21-2008, 08:46 AM
definatley depends on what makes them 'criminal'

ittokaos
08-21-2008, 10:58 AM
If they know their stuff and are a good teacher, it shouldnt matter. You are there to learn from them, not to judge them on their past mistakes. Perhaps you wouldnt want to become a formal disciple but as a student you should be ok.

I would understand if they were a serial killer and you were afraid to take that risk but if there is no such risk then it really shouldnt matter.

1bad65
08-21-2008, 11:13 AM
If they know their stuff and are a good teacher, it shouldnt matter.

I disagree. Sex offenders have a very high recidivism rate.

Shaolinlueb
08-21-2008, 11:48 AM
I disagree. Sex offenders have a very high recidivism rate.

level 3's do. in mass there are 3 levels

1 they dont release the name cause they are low cause.

2 is semi, they release names.

3 will 99% strike again and names released.

but from a business point, they might be good and stuff. but you have to look out for the well being of the kids you have at the school. if you dont have any kids, you still have to watchout for the female and maybe male students.

golden arhat
08-21-2008, 01:48 PM
theres a guy at my gym who got out of prison after 8 years for manslaughter, it was murder but they couldnt pove it.

he hasnt harmed anyone tho, i dont really care

he broke my arm once tho, accidentally.

Lucas
08-21-2008, 02:02 PM
they couldnt prove it was murder, and he accidentally broke your arm....once.

:p;)

WinterPalm
08-21-2008, 02:13 PM
My BJJ coach did 9 for manslaughter a long time ago. People can and do change and overcome their hardships and downfalls.

Judge lest ye be judged.

That said, I would not allow a child molestor or rapist in my club. In terms of petty thugs, actively engaged in mugging old ladies and all the rest of it would not be allowed either.

Lucas
08-21-2008, 03:23 PM
how about if you know someone is involved in organized crime?

Kevin Huang
08-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Gentlemen, I have a question.

Has any sifu you've ever known actually performed a background check on a specific student?

So far, I haven't performed a background check on anybody yet. The few times I've met guys with criminal records, they've told me. But for all I know, the people training with me right now could have horrible records and I don't know it.

How far should a professional martial arts go to ensure the safety of his class and the community?

Raipizo
08-21-2008, 09:45 PM
prolly just check his record thats all if the people were involved in anything like decently bad i probably wouldn't teach them. Don't want like Charles Manson as your sparring partner or something lol

ittokaos
08-22-2008, 06:08 PM
That said, I would not allow a child molestor or rapist in my club.

I have seen that a lot of you feel the same towards those that have done this but unless you are afraid of beign raped yourself or your child is constantly present, I really dont see the problem. I would understand if this was the person teaching your child but this discussion is about you if I am not mistaken.

While I may not like what they have done or are possibly currently doing, I wouldnt not train with them because of it. If they are good then i dont see the harm.

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-23-2008, 09:00 AM
yeah but technically paying my mother for sex is a crime. i know at least half of you would never be able to train if people started gettin all uppidy.