PDA

View Full Version : Pulling up the Hui Yin / Tai Chi / Yi Chuan

Andy
08-21-2008, 01:08 PM
I've been taking a look at Yi Chuan's standing meditation. From all of the sources I've come across, I find no mention of pulling up the hui yin point. Is that an important part of standing meditation for both Yi Chuan and Tai Chi?

Please let me hear you thoughts and comments on it.

Three Harmonies
08-21-2008, 01:31 PM
It is overemphasized, and misunderstood for the most part. You do not want to push your hips (butt) back. But you also do not want to "tuck" too much either. Your pelvis should feel like it is floating in a fish bowl. Not pushed. Not tucked. Not ****ed side to side.

Hope that helps.
Jake

Doc Stier
08-21-2008, 10:23 PM
I've been taking a look at Yi Chuan's standing meditation. From all of the sources I've come across, I find no mention of pulling up the hui yin point. Is that an important part of standing meditation for both Yi Chuan and Tai Chi?

The primary agenda priorities for standing meditation, as with seated meditation, are focused more on developing a passive mental awareness of deeper states of consciousness leading to personal self-cultivation and spiritual Self-Realization, rather than focusing on the physical aspects of the training. Although there are certainly a number of easily validated physical benefits to any regular standing meditation practice, ranging from improved structural alignment and enhanced physical strength to establishing a strong root, these are not generally the main points of consideration in the training.

When techniques of breath regulation are incorporated into the training, however, the standing practice immediately becomes a method of stationary chi-kung. In this instance, the mental attention and intention is consciously shifted to properly regulating the breath, and mental awareness is actively focused more on monitoring the physical and energetic experience of the training.

In many stationary chi-kung methods, the breath regulation methods that are employed advocate a constriction of the anal sphincter muscle when exhaling the breath. Other techniques also advocate performing constrictions of this kind during a retention of the breath following a full inhalation. In each case, the muscular constriction usually causes an increased surface tension in the perineum, where the Hui-Yin energy point is located, which creates an upwardly lifting and inwardly drawing physical affect of the rectum and surrounding area. This anatomical phenomenon will normally be absent from the more physically passive experience of standing meditation practices that simply advocate unregulated, natural abdominal breathing.

Doc

Zi Zheng
08-22-2008, 09:03 AM
to what Jake said. Keep the spine erect but not to where it's uncomfortable and an ever so gently bend in the knees.

When in standing posture, bend your knees slightly and relax the shoulders at the same time and the spine will find its naturally erect comfort zone. This will also take the pressure off the ming men and that is the tuck your looking for. people hear tuck and try to force a tuck. Things have to happen "naturally" with compliance from all parts in association with each other.

It is over emphasized because if you tell someone to stand straight, but relax and breathe naturally/normally, they will achieve the goal of standing meditation. It is by thinking about "it" and the correct alignment of things that places unnecessary strain on our minds and we lose the intention of the practice.

Pulling up the hui yin is done in "micro cosmic orbit" practice to open the small circle which will lead to a being being able to feel and guide their qi. There are other ways to do this, but fo the sake of using micro cosmic as an example here, pulling up the hui yin is necessary in conjunction with breathing and circulation. This is an important aspect of taiji practice (as i was taught anyway). So, yes, I would say pulling up the hui yin is important... but not just for standing meditation as micro cosmic can be done sitting as well.

Andy
08-25-2008, 11:23 AM
There is a very distinct difference between "tucking the pelvis" and "pulling up the hui yin". I am asking specifically about "pulling up the hui yin point." Please address all responses strictly to the role of pulling up the hui yin as it is practiced in both / either tai chi or Yi Chuan.

BenDavid
02-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Sorry to "bump" this thread, but these cats don't know what you're asking about regarding pulling up the Hui Yin. If you want to speak about Yin Yang Kung, then write to me off here at Mikhah@gmail.com.

Peace.

SPJ
02-27-2012, 10:55 AM
ti gang liu tun.

elevate anus and tight up butt cheek.

basically concentrate or "contract" a bit at your tail bone or sacrum.

so that your qi is consolidating and not letting go or out in the perianal area or hui yin area.

it is like collecting qi or water in a basin or pot. jui qi ning shen.

consolidate qi and shen/spirit.

you do not a have a hole leaking at your bottom of collecting vessel/pot.

---

jdhowland
03-09-2012, 09:40 AM
In my experience this is not emphasized in yiquan. Yiquan is not strictly a meditative practice or qigong per se. It is primarily for strength development and neuromuscular training for efficient movement. The practitioner is aware of the hui yin condition as well as other parts of the body. It is not strongly engaged or particularly relaxed. Natural breathing is emphasized over vessel breathing.

taai gihk yahn
03-10-2012, 07:05 PM
man, so much fuss about actively engaging pelvic floor in conjunction with the breath as a pre-cursor for dynamic core stability...

yeesh;

jdhowland
03-11-2012, 07:04 AM
man, so much fuss about actively engaging pelvic floor in conjunction with the breath as a pre-cursor for dynamic core stability...

yeesh;

Yup.

'Course in tantric yoga it's also done to create sensations in the body that help to envision pathways of light in an imaginary body. I suppose that's legitimate.