PDA

View Full Version : Internal in the Bay Area

SeaAg
08-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Greetings:

I will be moving to the area (somewhere around Hayward) and want to study the internal arts. The particular art isn't all that important to me, it's more important that it be a good instructor that offers solid training in that art. I'm not looking to do any forms competitions or such. I know there are schools that kind of focus on that--and I respect that--but that's just not what I'm looking for.

I'm sure there are lots of schools around there. I've read numerous websites, but I would rather have some input from folks that are familiar with them.

As far as distance, I'm not going to have a whole lot of time for commuting, but maybe within 15-20 miles.

Some schools that I have checked out (Read their website):

Bernard Langan
EBM (maybe a little far)
Three Treasures (maybe a little far)
USA Omei
USA Kung Fu Studio/Castro Valley (Dr. Johnny Jang)
Wu Chi Kung Fu
The Taoist Center (Alex Feng)

Again, I'm just looking for recommendations. I know that it really depends on me and my comfort level with the school/instructor. I'm sure there are more schools, but these are just a few that I came across. If there are others you recommend, feel free to let me know.

I appreciate any suggestions you may have. I read these boards a lot and there seems to be some very knowledgeable, and sometimes entertaining folks, on here.

Cheers!

ShaoliNeophyte
08-25-2008, 05:57 PM
I haven't trained here (I live more inland), but I've heard good things.

http://www.chenfamilytaiji.com/index.html

Three Harmonies
08-26-2008, 06:18 AM
David MEyer is there and his BJJ is top notch. Fairtex is no joke. Joe Crandall in outside of San Fran.
Jake

Rockwood
08-26-2008, 03:23 PM
I've been to all the schools you've listed here except for Wu Chi Kung Fu. There are others besides. The only advice I have is the same old thing that I always say- go visit and see for yourself. Depending on what you are after, different schools will offer different things.

As Jake mentioned, Joe Crandall is in the bay, but up in Pinole, which would be far outside your commute range. Fairtex is in the city, and there are many worthy schools there as well.

Me & some friends are going to start up a Xing Yi study group in Oakland this fall. If you want to get some practice time in, drop me a line.
xingyiquan5ATyahoo.com

Sincerely,

Jess O'Brien

SeaAg
08-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks, guys!

I really appreciate the replies. I will check into the schools I didn't list. But, I agree, it's really just up to me to see what I'm comfortable with and what best matches my goals and learning style. I've been places that had highly experienced instructors, but their teaching style didn't really fit well with my learning style. It seems I've got some good options down there, and I'm sure one of them will click with me.

Once again, thanks for the courteous replies!

Cheers.

Buddy
08-27-2008, 12:33 PM
I can highly recommend Bernie Langan.

Mas Judt
09-10-2008, 06:35 PM
Google Vince Brown - he's an acupuncturist - that's how you'll find him. Just make sure you are serious about training before you contact him.