PDA

View Full Version : Just started Wing chun At Stockport Academy

trebor782
08-23-2008, 01:11 AM
Hi Guys,

I have just started Wing chun at stockport wing chun academy.

I have been looking for a martial art to do for about 4 months now to get fit and get my teeth into something after my mothers death from cancer.

I have looked at Karate, Judo And thai Boxing. When i saw Clips on you tube of wing chun my mind was made up.

I was very nervous on my first lesson as i didnt know what to expect, but ged put me at ease, and started teaching me the basic stance and punch. I must say my legs hurt like hell but im going to keep going, then after time hopefully they will not hurt as much.

I have looked at quite alot of forums and searched the internet for information but if any of you guys have any tips big or small please just let me know.

Thanks

David Peterson
08-23-2008, 02:46 AM
Hi Trebor,

Welcome to the "extended Family" - you're in great hands with Ged's instruction and all the Lads at the Stockport Club will look after you and ensure that you make steady progress - the rest is up to you ;)

Hope to see you when I'm back in the UK this September,

Regards,
DMP

Ps: lots of material on my website for you to read regarding WSLVT, ...and Ged can point you in the right direction too :)

Lee Chiang Po
08-23-2008, 08:56 PM
Have you told your instructor about the painful legs? And if so, what did he tell you?

trebor782
08-24-2008, 05:01 AM
I have only been to one lesson so far, and my legs are not used to the stance, so thats why they are hurting.

But i will ask Ged, to see if im doing the stance right.....!!!!!

Maybe after a few lessons my legs will get stronger and used to the stance and then i can start to learn more and more things.

My first lesson was on thursday last week, and on friday my legs were killing me, but today (sunday) they are ok.

I have been trying to stay in the stance everyday for 10mins or so.

trebor782
08-24-2008, 05:12 AM
Thanks David for your kind words, and your right all the guys there are great.

I think Ged has his work cut out with me, as i have never done anything like this before.

Your website has got some great information, and i have had a look on you tube for some clips of you and also your Sifu Wong shun leung.

I must say you guys make it look so easy.

Yes i hope to see you in action in september, thats if Ged dosnt kill me first (ha ha).

Thanks

Ernie
08-24-2008, 07:02 AM
Trebor ,
I just missed you ;)
but no worries ,,I'm just the appitizer you will get the main course when David gets there !
your in good hands ,, Ged will get you through the '' teething '' process once you get your legs under you the fun begins ...

best advice I can give you ... avoid any and all wing chun politics , try not to get sucked into in forums and enjoy your training ;)

Ernie

trebor782
08-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Thanks Ernie,

Im just trying to learn all the terms etc, and get my head around the history of wing chun.

I can not wait for my second lesson, im just starting out and so excited.

Ged makes it look so easy, so im going to listen to every word he tells me and practice practice practice.

Im not going to get into any wing chun politics, just listen to ged and then take it from there.

Thanks, and i hope to see you in the uk soon.

Katsu Jin Ken
08-25-2008, 11:28 AM
if your standing in "goat clamping stance" its normal (atleast for me) to have sore legs as that is what the stance is for, building leg muscles.

Paul T England
08-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Hi Trebor,

The legs are normal if the trainng and instruction are good.

Ged and his guys are a great bunch and the system taught is excellent.

Paul