PDA

View Full Version : Pak Mei - New York Cultural Preservation - S.L. Fung - ???

Li.
08-25-2008, 08:21 PM
Just a couple of questions,

1) Does anyone know anything about the 'New York Pak Mei Kung Fu Cultural Preservation Association' or 'TNP Multimedia' - http://nypakmei.com/index.php ? Who runs this?

2) Has anyone heard of S.L. Fung and the book he has written (listed on site)? I do not recognise this name in chinese or english on any lineage charts and can't seem to find any information as such on the internet.

3) Also can not find Kwoon Man Fong on the global pak mei lineage table, is there any reason for this?

Thanks in advance.

Yum Cha
08-26-2008, 02:35 AM
Not bad for a first post, who are you, S.L. Fung?
:D

Li.
08-26-2008, 03:07 AM
haha nah just a long time lurker. (now that you mention it, my post does make it sound like i am this S.L. Fung :D)

Anyways, I was just curious about that book, the people mentioned and its points its putting forward.

Fung Ngan
08-26-2008, 01:12 PM
New York Pak Mei Kung Fu Cultural Preservation Association looks like a organisation of student(s) of Kwong Man Fong.

S.L. Fung is a senior student of Kwong Man Fong. The book is trying to clear some of the stories about Pak Mei. Seems to have a fresh look, but for the well informed Pak Mei student no real new info. No texts about techniques, nor much photo's.

Southern Fist
08-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Li:

Just to answer your questions.

1) The N Y Pak Mei Kung Fu Cultural Preservation Association is an unaffiliated and politically-free organization dedicated to preserve Classical Pak Mei.

2)S. L. Fung is the author of the Pak Mei Kung Fu book and senior student of Kwong Man Fong.

If you are a Pak mei practitioner we do not recognize your name either.

3) Kwong Man Fong Sifu is a low profile Sifu as most of his students.

We are dedicated in spreading Pak Mei Kung Fu in everyway our Sifu taught us.

As for our Sifu's Affiliations, it is his choice to be low key.

Respectfully,

Peter Pena
Southern Fist Club
Gilbert, Arizona

Yum Cha
08-27-2008, 03:37 AM
Peter,
With all due respect, I think Man Sifu is probably the highest profile Pak Mei Sifu in the world.

And your Sei Mae is a very talented practitioner, I might add.

Lama Pai Sifu
08-27-2008, 05:22 AM
I think Peter means that he is low profile compared to Sifu from other styles. :)

lkfmdc
08-27-2008, 09:47 AM
I sort of think two things about threads like this

First, too many people are hung up on lineage, finding people on lineage charts, positions in lineage, in door, out door, back door, out house, whatever :p

Second, people are also sort of touchy about any question about their sifu, since this is still such an issue in the mo lum

it's nice to see Pak Mei less "secret", yet another art coming into the light, enjoy, take in the sun, have fun

Li.
08-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the prompt replies and my apologies if my post appeared in any way to be criticizing anyone as this is not my intention.
I am simply seeking independent thoughts/ideas in regards to the people/site mentioned as I am not personally familiar with or know them well.

GeneChing
12-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Enter to win <a href="http://www.kungfumagazine.net/index.html" target=_blank>Pak Mei: The Myth & the Martial Art by S.L. Fung</a>. Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 12/16/09. Good luck everyone!