PDA

View Full Version : Bak Mei Practictioners in Socal?

JGTevo
08-27-2008, 03:58 AM
I've asked and looked around for Bak Mei Instructors or Schools in the Southern California area for the last few years now and have come up dry aside from a few people here and there that after talking with, I decided it would not be in my best interest to train with or could not make the drive out to see them because they were too far.. So, if I can't find a school, I was wondering if there were any Bak Mei practitioners of any level who'd be willing to talk and possibly share their knowledge with me in person or via email.

I'd love to understand more about Bak Mei's principles and concepts, their various ways of generating power, developing the body/mind and spirit, their understanding and application of root, as well as anything related to the system.

I've been very interested in this style for many, many years and would love to even begin to get a proper understanding of it. If anyone wants to talk about it, and hopefully I can find someone in the Southern California area that would be able to meet in person.

DMK
08-27-2008, 05:14 AM
Hello Friend In Martial Arts,
I writting to encourage you in your pursuit and for you to continue to train in what you have learned. Yes, the journey will be long and sometimes questionable,in the end the rewards are all yours.

JGTevo
08-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Thank you for your encouragement DMK. I've been involved in martial arts formally for eight years of my life now (if I don't count my childhood training/fighting) and I definitely don't plan on giving up. It is something I can honestly say that I truly have a passion for. In my younger years the draw was to become the "Ultimate Fighter", as so many people want these days but as I grew older I realized how trivial this pursuit was to my situation and lifestyle. My passion is simply in learning, understanding and training the functional, real principles, concepts and techniques to strengthen my body, mind and spirit, to expand my knowledge of fighting and martial arts, and the science and human expression behind them, and finally to have something meaningful and unique to pass down to my children and possibly students one day. It's this which drives me to train, learn and contemplate the martial arts.

That is not to say that I'm scared of fighting or sparring, its the opposite. I regularly spar and while I try to not get into fights, occasionally there is no choice in the matter, especially being as young as I am(23). But I see more opportunities to help people by teaching them how to develop themselves and become stronger and better people, than I do to save them by fighting.

ittokaos
08-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Where about are you located? How far are you willing to travel?

JGTevo
08-27-2008, 06:52 PM
I'm in Chatsworth, CA. I see you're in Cathedral City? I go out to Coachella/Indio area every once in awhile (actually may get to be pretty often, depending on circumstances) and you'd be on my way to there. I don't know when I'm going next but it should be within the next few weeks or so.

Infrazael
08-27-2008, 09:48 PM
What style do you do right now? What experience in fighting do you have? Check your PM box mate I will send you some info.

JGTevo
08-28-2008, 12:51 AM
I've done Wing Chun for years and Jook Lum SPM very sporadically (due to the instructor not being available often). Right now I'm just boxing and training on my own, I haven't been to a school in awhile after stopping SPM (which was private instruction).

Thanks Infrazael, however I have not yet received your pm yet?

Infrazael
08-28-2008, 04:18 AM
Sent it at like 2 am or something.

Peace

ittokaos
08-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Well, that sounds good. You should stop by our school if you get the chance. It is in Palm Desert if you are interested. Also I saw that you have studied both WC and Jook Lum mantis. My sifu also teaches WC(Pan Nam and Yip Man) as well as Chu Gar mantis. I am pretty sure that he has studied Jook Lum as well.

Yum Cha
08-29-2008, 06:26 PM
The only Pak Mei I know about in So Cal is Eddie Chong. Mixed Wing Chun and Futshan Pak Mei - see him on YouTube. His style isn't mainstream, but he's been around awhile, you might find it interesting, but I don't know how far he could take you. Then again, most students never get past the basics anyhow.

San Fran has another Futsan Pak Mei Sifu, Zhong Luo, mixed Pak Mei and a bit of MMA, likes to make movies too. A little more mainstream, there's a bit of him on YouTube too.

In a match, I'd put my money on Zhong Luo over Eddie Chong.

There may be others, Pak Mei has a tradition of keeping private and small intimate families, the two above are notable for their self promotion.

Whatever you do, don't get involved with that "White Tiger" BS that tries to pass itself off as a secret branch of Pak Mei. Doo Wai is a crazy old man, and his organisation is mostly internet warriors who are busy fighting it out between themselves. There isn't any real kung fu amongst them, just lots of cons and made up dross to separate you from your hard earned $$$.

If you also look into SPM (any branch of southern praying mantis) or Loong Ying (Dragon Style) you may find the kind of juice you're looking for.