PDA

View Full Version : 7-11 Taiwan Chicken Feet

brianlkennedy
08-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Good Morning Folks,
As I am sure we would all agree, an important part of martial arts excellence is the right diet. And here in Taiwan we have been keeping up with the latest in sports nutrition advances.

So I present to you all; the 7-11 Microwave Chicken Feet! Actually I send this around for all the old Taiwan folks who might remember chicken feet. 7-11 has now started stocking microwaveable chicken feet. In fact the kids at the 7-11 will nuke them right there for you. I actually like them, but they are pretty labor intensive (taking the little feets apart and all the in the mouth maneuvering trying to get the fat/gristle/flesh off the little bones) and…they may not be health conscious.

But still I thought the two photos might amuse folks and show that Taiwan is still a leader in food technology. The whole thing motivated me to do the xingyi chicken form this morning during my practice.

Yours in Taiwan food weirdness,
Brian

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q48/brianlkennedy/taiwan%20odd%20fun/99970012_edited.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q48/brianlkennedy/taiwan%20odd%20fun/99970017_edited.jpg

Water Dragon
08-27-2008, 05:59 PM
I say we get thru 6 posts before someone informs us of the magical chi building properties of chicken feet.

GreenCloudCLF
08-27-2008, 07:18 PM
This is good, since I hear chicken feet has magical chi building power.

Water Dragon
08-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Why do you think they call it chicken?

Oso
08-27-2008, 07:23 PM
my grandma always ate pickled chicken feetses...she lived to be 111.

Oso
08-27-2008, 07:24 PM
...or maybe it was pickled chicken fetuses...you could hardly understand her unless she put her dentures in....

bakxierboxer
08-27-2008, 11:20 PM
Back in the 60s Mark Foon took a few of us on a food break to a restaurant on Mott St. and enthusiastically ordered the "soup of the day" .... Chicken Foot Soup.
Being unfamiliar with oriental tastes in food, I wanted to know why this particular soup was so great.... Mark Foon emphatically stated "fix joints!" (or something similar). I then discovered that it was even more important to learn how to eat the danged things. It turned out that the approved method was to pop a whole chicken foot in your mouth and tongue it around a bit, trapping the many small bones against your palate with your tongue while swallowing the flesh/skin/whatever.
Following this, it was "ok" to simply push out the bones into your palm and put them on a side dish.

I worked my way through the course, and still was unsure about the benefits of the soup... went to crack my fingers.... and heard NOTHING!
Mark Foon (nodding vigorously/affirmative): "FIX JOINTS!"
(NOTHING cracked for about 3 months after that.....)

GreenCloudCLF
08-28-2008, 04:50 AM
I actually tried chicken feet once. Those small bones are a pain in the rectum. I am lazy when it comes to eating, it has to be easy: boneless spare ribs, boneless chicken wings. At times I wish my local pizzeria would throw a slice of pepperoni in the blender so I can just drink it.

So yeah, chicken feet is too much work.

SPJ
08-28-2008, 07:31 AM
not much of a fan for chicken feet or phoenix claws.

but I am a big fan for pork feet.

pork feet with noodle.

WOW, drooling like a pig.

--

:D

SPJ
08-28-2008, 07:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_2BSF-OH8E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcONw4wt1es&NR=1

:)

mkriii
08-28-2008, 08:00 AM
You know, I worked in a chinese restaurant where the owners would eat chicken feet. I thought it was disgusting. They always told me that chicken feet were good for the joints. I told them i would pass. They would boil them then eat them.

GreenCloudCLF
08-28-2008, 08:01 AM
not much of a fan for chicken feet or phoenix claws.

but I am a big fan for pork feet.

pork feet with noodle.

WOW, drooling like a pig.

--

:D

Tried pig knouckles too once. Too tough.

Becca
08-28-2008, 08:19 AM
Tried pig knouckles too once. Too tough.
They are not too tough. Just drop them in a crock pot with some dried pinto beans, some water, a pinch of paprika and nothing else. Let it simmer for at least 6 hours. The meat falls right off the bones and the sodium that is in cured pigs feet seasons the beans. Easy. then you can ladel the beens and ham hocks over either corn bread or steamed rice.

SimonM
08-28-2008, 08:23 AM
My wife previously recounted a childhood memory of eating a trotter. Her family is poor and couldn't afford much meat and it was probably the biggest single piece of meat she had ever eaten at that time.

I had been buying boneless, skinless chicken breasts as our main source of protein for a while and picked up a trotter for her at Wal Mart. She cooked it and said that she really didn't like it.

Becca
08-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Might have been how she cooked it. My family is one of those friggin huge scotts-irish families. We ate, and still eat, a lot of stuff others thought was strange. I also have a great, stupidly simple recipe for pickled cow's heart and toungue. Also checken liver. My great grandmother used to make fried chicken feet, but I never liked them as much as the pickled heart.

Mel
08-28-2008, 09:38 AM
"...or maybe it was pickled chicken fetuses...you could hardly understand her unless she put her dentures in...."

Oh my god, that is so gross! Although I guess that's really just pickled eggs. But still. Blech!

SimonM
08-28-2008, 09:49 AM
A possibility. But I'll still stick to more conventional faire either way.

Lucas
08-28-2008, 10:32 AM
lol becca, your quote.

i know that cyclist too hahahah so funny.

Oso
08-28-2008, 08:38 PM
"...or maybe it was pickled chicken fetuses...you could hardly understand her unless she put her dentures in...."

Oh my god, that is so gross! Although I guess that's really just pickled eggs. But still. Blech!

nope, pickled eggs would be pickled gametes

pickled fetuses are only available later in the process.

bakxierboxer
08-28-2008, 10:44 PM
I actually tried chicken feet once. Those small bones are a pain in the rectum. I am lazy when it comes to eating, it has to be easy....

:confused:
Just guessing.... but that pain you mentioned in your nether region usually happens when you're to lazy to push the bones out and and make the mistake of swallowing them instead. :eek:

:D :D :D

Mel
08-29-2008, 03:17 AM
"nope, pickled eggs would be pickled gametes

pickled fetuses are only available later in the process."

Can you recommend a beer to wash that down with? LOL!

GreenCloudCLF
08-29-2008, 04:32 AM
:confused:
Just guessing.... but that pain you mentioned in your nether region usually happens when you're to lazy to push the bones out and and make the mistake of swallowing them instead. :eek:

:D :D :D

You should see the massacre that occurs when I swallow the pig knuckles whole.:eek:

Oso
08-29-2008, 05:54 PM
"nope, pickled eggs would be pickled gametes

pickled fetuses are only available later in the process."

Can you recommend a beer to wash that down with? LOL!

why yes...

my favorite: Tasgall Ale, a scottish style wee heavy. 2nd from the bottom on this page

http://www.highlandbrewing.com/beerstyles.htm#

bakxierboxer
08-29-2008, 09:01 PM
You should see the massacre that occurs when I swallow the pig knuckles whole.:eek:

Hmmmm.....lemmeseee........

NOPE!!! Don't even wanna think about that!

Mel
08-30-2008, 04:41 AM
Oso, with an alcohol content of 8%, I can see why they call it "cauldron of the gods." A couple of those and I'd be swimming in the cauldron! :)

Oso
08-30-2008, 01:27 PM
yea, is potent.

sadly, is gone :(

they won't brew anymore for a while.

they are, however, getting ready to release an Imperial version of their old standby Black Mocha Porter...basically, it will have more ABV than the reguler.

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-30-2008, 03:13 PM
...or maybe it was pickled chicken fetuses...you could hardly understand her unless she put her dentures in....

i liked it better when she didn't.

Oso
08-31-2008, 08:30 AM
took you long enough to find that ;) :D

GunnedDownAtrocity
09-01-2008, 12:41 AM
took you long enough to find that ;) :D

thats exactly what i told your grams man. never likes to wear her glasses neither.

Oso
09-02-2008, 05:12 AM
actually, she never wore glasses...

unkokusai
09-03-2008, 09:48 AM
You know, I worked in a chinese restaurant where the owners would eat chicken feet. I thought it was disgusting. They always told me that chicken feet were good for the joints. I told them i would pass. They would boil them then eat them.

How do you know it's disgusting if you never tried?

mkriii
09-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Unk...I didn't say that the feet tasted disgusting. Pay attention to what I post from now on. Especially if your going to critique everything I post. They might have tasted wonderful for all I know but thay looked aweful.

GunnedDownAtrocity
09-03-2008, 02:17 PM
sits on your man globes?

unkokusai
09-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Unk...I didn't say that the feet tasted disgusting. Pay attention to what I post from now on. Especially if your going to critique everything I post. They might have tasted wonderful for all I know but thay looked aweful.

Because instead of chicken feet, you were chicken ****.

TenTigers
09-06-2008, 03:23 PM
eating chicken feet (fung jow-"phoenix claws") is no different than eating wings-particularly that last pointy end-mostly skin and bones and tendon, but boy is it tasty. Chicken feet proves that prett much anything you make with oyster sauce, or black bean sauce, and garlic will taste good. Same goes for butter and garlic. Witness escargots.
The healing properties are the same as when you eat ngau gunn-beef tendon.
It nourishes the tendons and the joints.
well, according to my Sifu.
Pigs knuckles prepared in Hohk Cho (sweetened black vinegar) and geurng-(Ginger), is given to women after pregnancy to rebuild their jing. When my ex used to make it for a friend wh just gave birth, she would make twice as much, because I really love it.

Funny story-my student's wife had a baby-her family is white. Very white. From deep Suffolk County, which is basically, Kentucky.
anyway, we bring over this whole pot of pig's knuckles. Yum! The wife has this look on her face. You know. The look that says she's being polite, but WTF is she bringing into my house? Her Mother had the same look. ("I can see where your daughter gets her good looks from, Mrs. Cleaver")
I later found out, that they chucked the whole pot into the trash can no sooner were we up the block.

You can get this at some dim-sum restaurants in Chinatown. When it comes to the table, everyone takes their spoon and takles some of the broth. My Sifu, Chow Hung, is in his late seventies, Lam Jo is 98, and they both love this stuff. They are also both spry and full of vigor.
Now eat your pig's knuckles.