PDA

View Full Version : What does one Consider to Be Kun Tao ?

Firehawk4
08-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Is Kun Tao considered to be Kung Fu that went to Maylasia and Indonesia in the 1930 s or early 1900 s ? alot of Kun Fu arts went to these areas during this time so what i am confused about are they considered Kun Tao or is this older arts ?

Ben Gash
08-28-2008, 03:53 PM
According to Draeger's weapons and fighting arts of Indonesia, Kuntao means Kung Fu practiced in Indonesia, indeed it even refers to Shandong and Fujian Kuntao.

Mano Mano
08-29-2008, 04:24 AM
Chinese MA’s & CMA mixed with local fighting systems in what’s now Indonesia & Malaysia have been referred to as Kun Tao long before the 1930’s & 19th century probably going as far back as the Ming dynasty.
There are even types of Kun Tao in the Philippines.

Steeeve
08-29-2008, 07:17 PM
Kuntao is just a generic term to mean kung fu.....

No secret here......some silat style have some influenced of southern style ...
mostly the hakka style southern mantis ,pak mei dragon.....some have .....the sil lum hung gar ........just a little touch.....

some style like white crane .....the southern style(not the hop gar or lamapai system) are very popular in malaysiann ,,,,or taiwan....have some similiratie with silat system of indonesian......

Or the $$$$ maker silat ....or the modern silat

Filipino style are boxing jiujutsu ,,,and stickfinghting ...the only style to have incorcoporated chinese MA is the la punti arnis de abaniko......

Do your research

Steeve:D

Mano Mano
08-30-2008, 08:16 AM
Kuntao is just a generic term to mean kung fu.....

No secret here......some silat style have some influenced of southern style ...
mostly the hakka style southern mantis ,pak mei dragon.....some have .....the sil lum hung gar ........just a little touch.....

some style like white crane .....the southern style(not the hop gar or lamapai system) are very popular in malaysiann ,,,,or taiwan....have some similiratie with silat system of indonesian......

Or the $$$$ maker silat ....or the modern silat

Filipino style are boxing jiujutsu ,,,and stickfinghting ...the only style to have incorcoporated chinese MA is the la punti arnis de abaniko......

Do your research

Steeve:D

I heard that there are supposed to be Kun Tao & Kun Tao Silat mixed systems practiced by groups descended from Chinese families who settled in the Muslim areas of the Philippines

Steeeve
09-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Mabuhay Mano Mano

Oo
Mano Mano they call that Kuntaw or Kautau....

Saan ka nagatira? saan ka galing?

Salamat

Steeve

boh
09-09-2008, 11:16 AM
hi

coming a bit late into this...

perhaps I can shed some light, but aint no expert here..

KunTao is a Fujian word/term that translate to KungFu as it is generally known. The term is used more in Indonesia hardly in Malaysia, dunno abt Philipines.
From what I understand, it is more a generic rather than specific term. It refers to a typle/class of martial arts practised rather than a specific style. Its roots seems to be Chinese MA that adopted local fighting styles, rather than the other way round.
I think to understand it, one must understand the cultural context of its environment. South East Asia(SEA) is a great cultural melting/mixing pot. Chinese migrants exists in many settlements over SEA, and they brought along MartiaL Arts (MA).
Often in these communities there is a need of MA, for self-defense, as these are rough times & places... merchants had bodyguards, hired security guards for their goods, and don't dont forget the Triads as well... and the occassional racial conflicts do erupt. Also, in settlements where the population was small or for whatever reasons, the Chinese adopted the culture and customs of the locals, often preserving parts of their own; MA being one of them... Over time and together with the rest of the cultural assimilation, local MA's gets incorporated into it and the actual original styles (probably Fujian and Hakka) get 'forgotten'.

Why I say KunTao has its roots in Chinese MA, rather than the other way round, is that often, in these mixed communities, there is a lot of pride in maintaining one's own (ethnic/national) identity. Hence although there would be a fair bit of cross-fertilisation between CMA and say, Silat, the individual MA would want to maintain its own cultural identity. Thus if Silat assimilated CMA tehcniques, it'll still be called Silat and not have its name changed to KunTao.

Firehawk4
09-09-2008, 04:24 PM
I still seem to be confused what i was wondering is say a Chinese art like Wing Chun or Fujian White crane was brought to Indoneasia in 1930 and taught there would these Chinese arts beconsidered KunTao or just Kung Fu from China ?

Mano Mano
09-10-2008, 08:46 AM
I still seem to be confused what i was wondering is say a Chinese art like Wing Chun or Fujian White crane was brought to Indoneasia in 1930 and taught there would these Chinese arts beconsidered KunTao or just Kung Fu from China ?

I don’t think it really matters, over the years CMA has be had various labels applied to it depending on time & place: Kun tao, Tang soo, Kou Shou, Wushu (mo sut), Kung fu, Gung fu, Quan fa. I think at one time it was referred to as Zhong gou quan Middle Kingdom Fist.