PDA

View Full Version : Ways of Generating Power

JGTevo
09-01-2008, 03:17 AM
Hi again everyone,

I understand many styles share ways of generating power for use in their strikes, or for developing their body, and some are unique to their style or to a few styles. For instance, a western boxer may relax their muscles, step forward and rotate their hips and shoulders to strike with their lead hand, tensing up at the moment of impact... Whereas a Wing Chun practictioner may rely on using a squared up structure to produce vertical chain punching, or pivot to generate power. Can you tell me how many ways you've heard of generating power? And which you believe is the most effective?

I've heard of Whirlpool Power, dip gwat gung, saam hay gen and shaking power. Can anyone give me an explanation on these? Are there any others?

ittokaos
09-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Wow! Finally someone with questions that matter. I am not too sure about all the ways that the body can issue power but I can try to explain it the way that I understand it.

Shaking or scared power is a power that is in several martial arts(white crane for sure) and it is generated by having a firm root and twisting the waist and moving the shoulders back and forth to create a shaking of the upper body. I think that it is used for grabs from behind(against you) as well as for striking. I personally have never used this kind of power myself so I am not too sure about how it is used for strikes.

Not too sure about the others you have asked because I dont really know what those are but I can expalin a little about the power that we use for Bak Mei.

Sifu Manuel called it "Shrimp Power" because the way your back whips to generate the power. It usually starts from the ground, as you push off the ground, and the power goes up your legs to your hips, which move forward, and then you your spine which whips the power through your shoulders and out your hands. Perhaps not the best best explanation of it but it gives you a general idea of it.

There are other ways such as twisting, stomping, spining, etc... but this should assist in starting a dialog about this topic(prob not).

Anyway, I hope this helps.

kfman5F
09-24-2008, 02:42 PM
It's called sequential muscle contraction. In the spine you tense muscles above one vertebrae to separate it from the one below it. Like when you are a kid and your parents tell you to stand up straight and you become an inch taller. This is done from the base of the spine upwards to the base of the neck. You then contract the arm in the same way out to the hands. Upon striking the whole body contracts (tenses) after the sequence. Like you said, it starts from the ground through the leg, around the waist, up the spine (as I described), etc. Best to practice movement slowly to feel the spine open. My description is very general, but I hope that helps.

Wong Ying Home
09-25-2008, 05:34 AM
Torque Thrust Compression Expansion

sanjuro_ronin
09-25-2008, 05:41 AM
One of the best descriptions for "fa jing" explosive power is the sneeze.
Your whole body "explodes" in a milisecond of power from zero to BAM! ( or achoo in this case) and right back to zero.

kfman5F
09-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Sanjuro has a good analogy. Just before the sneeze you fill with air and as the sneeze expells, the whole body contracts. So when you breathe in you fill the abdomen followed by the upper chest. You will feel the spine open up. Do this process when hitting.

kfman5F
09-25-2008, 02:27 PM
So when you breathe out, contract. It also helps to sink at the same time to root.

jo
09-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Think of a Sine Wave.

Its a mininimal, beautiful, perfect path for kinetic energy.

The sneeze if a great example...you can feel the RUSH of the power being generated in a very small space over very little time...yet the power is tremendous.

- jo

Lucas
09-25-2008, 03:52 PM
One of the best descriptions for "fa jing" explosive power is the sneeze.
Your whole body "explodes" in a milisecond of power from zero to BAM! ( or achoo in this case) and right back to zero.

The hot stove!!!