PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of which.....

LongfistMantis
10-07-2000, 09:05 AM
Any suggestions for Long Fist Mantis books? Or even general gongfu training books?

Longfist Mantis /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Ericsepishii
10-07-2000, 05:22 PM
The only Long Fist Mantis books that I know of
is actually more related to the Secret Gate
School / Shirfu Kuo Tao Shan of Taiwan.

These books are in Chinese / English language and
as far as I know, these books are only available
in Taiwan.

I think that there are four books in the series
and that one of the books is on a set called
Small Tiger Swallow - which in some circles
is considered a Long Fist Mantis fist form.

Long Fist Mantis is a bit rare and not much
material has been published on it.

Any - just my 2 cents.

Best of luck to you.

Gen
10-09-2000, 09:02 AM
As far as I know, Kao Tao-Sheng's Mantis lineage is basically of Meihua Tang Lang origin - it is not associated with Mimen Tang Lang, which was promoted by Zhang De-Kui in Tainan, Taiwan. (Look up 'Mantis Cave' @ www.geocities.com/mantiscave) (http://www.geocities.com/mantiscave))

There were 4 Chang Ch'uan Tang Lang (Long Fist Mantis) books published in Taiwan in 1996:

1. Tang Lang Shou (Mantis Hands)
2. Xiao Hu Yan (Small Tiger Swallow)
3. Si Lu Ben Da (Four Directional Boxing)
4. Er Lu Chang Quan (2 Routine Long Fist)

'Tang Lang Shou' is of Mantis origin; however, 'Xiao Hu Yan' and 'Si Lu Ben Da' are both a hybrid of Mantis and Long Fist. 'Er Lu Chang Quan' is basically a 'Taizu Chang Quan' (Emperor Long Fist) form.

Only 'Tang Lang Shou' was written in Chinese/English format. In 1994, Taiwan's Kuoshu Association produced another 'Tang Lang Shou' book, along with a video, of Kao Tao-Sheng performing the form with applications. Overall, there has been 3 books published on 'Tang Lang Shou.'

By the way, do you mind if I ask you again, Longfist Mantis, who your instructor is?

In the meantime, you can access the Chang Ch'uan Tang Lang Association's Japanese Representative Branch's website at:

http://www04.u-page.so-net.ne.jp/pd5/hideko-a/tyoutorou.html

I hope this information has been of use for you.

LongfistMantis
10-09-2000, 02:14 PM
I sent an email to the address in your profile.....did you not get it? My sifu is Sifu Greg Butler, and we do not descend from the association in Taiwan. From what my sifu told me, the association is the Southern mantis longfist, whereas we are northern mantis long fist.

Longfistmantis /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif