PDA

View Full Version : bouncer work

htowndragon
09-01-2008, 06:44 PM
so i currently work as a bouncer, just wondering what techniques you guys would prefer to use in this sort of venue from your various styles? also any tips from you elders who have worked in the security service would help as well

JGTevo
09-01-2008, 06:56 PM
It'd depend on what kind of place you work for. Normal clubs and bars where young guys get into fights usually are best solved with a grappling hold. It's not cool to break someone's wrist or arm, or smash their face just because they got a little too drunk, or got into a fight with another club patron. High-crime areas with gang members and other high-risk elements however, usually call for no-holds barred as you sometimes need to go up against three or four people who may or may not have weapons.

Lee Chiang Po
09-01-2008, 07:42 PM
For my entire working life I have been primarily a printer. But, from around 20 until I was around 45 I would do a second job of bouncing, or social director. I have held jobs as body guard, or companion. Most employers will tell you straight up that they do not want you beating on their patrons. Word gets out and you lose business. So, I would always entervene and offer both parties a free beer and do my best to defuse the aggression. This did not always work, and at times I would have to go straight in and use some sort of force to keep someone from being injured seriously. I would use a grappling hold that would be painful and very effective and remove the person and have a nice discussion with them. I would try reasoning and offer to buy them a free beer. The idea was to not humiliate them in front of peers or most especially wife or girlfriend.
Now, I have been stabbed several times, a couple of these times being life threatening. Shot in the buttocks once. Beaten up pretty bad a few times, and on 2 occasions I took actions that ended in the death of someone. In both cases my life was in serious danger. The most dangerous times I can remember were when walking a patron to their vehicle and on a couple of occasions when I was attacked while going to my own vehicle.
If you do this kind of work long enough you will eventually find yourself in a life or death situation. And the longer you do it, the more often this situation will come up.

htowndragon
09-01-2008, 11:58 PM
right now, its not really a choice for me, my financial situation is down the drain and being a waiter isnt making much money so i took up a second job. i had to throw out two ecstacy dealers saturday night in addition to restraining a promoter from getting into a brawl with another promoter. dude was huge. i really try to use locks and restraints, but depending on who is running the party additional force is permitted. the promoter whom i restraineds brother wants to hire me for his event and he advocates any force necessary...so we'll see

Satori Science
09-02-2008, 04:23 AM
some of my older brothers have worked as bouncers thru out the years,
I was lucky to learn a lot of my bar fighting "techniques" from them, there are a lot of cool ways to use sow choi and pow choi for bar fighting, even better is if you do palm training as well. These are kinds of "friendly" techniques, ways to beat people quickly without risking to much legal trouble.

get me @ my gmail below, i can email you a couple simple tech/reaction drills I've learned. or we can just share, training in bar situations is great stuff for long arm systems/practioners....

One.

Eddie
09-02-2008, 05:00 AM
what Lee Chaing Po said.

Bouncers dont have to get into fights, not even if the venue owner allows it. You just open yourself to more bad things. They come back for you, almost always.

Defusing the situation is a skill well worth to learn.

Remember, you dont have to proof anyting to anyone. You there to make sure the others are safe.

I worked at many clubs and events, and I can tell you, basic skills are pretty much all you will need in most situation.

I dont know about where you live, but where I used to live you can be sure that pretty much most punters (who would get into a fight) would have a gun or a knife or both. Be even more sure that they probably have used it on someone before.

Get into DJing. It pays much more and is more fun.

Im have already got plenty of bookings in china and i have only been here a few weeks.

;)

punchdrunk
09-02-2008, 01:00 PM
talking will get you only so far and then it can be viewed as weakness.. use palms if you can it reduces facial cuts and lessens police problems. Don't be afraid to hit first, always remember your life is worth more than theirs. If you like holds always take their balance first and then "throw" or "drag" them out. If you go down get up right away no matter what, in group fighting stay in your groups circle and help keep it. Always watch your boys backs and make sure someone always knows where you are and what you are doing. If your joint is rough you should quickly know if its for you or not. If not there is no shame in saying so and quitting... better that than losing your courage when it counts, or getting yourself in serious trouble. Enjoy the fights and the girls while you can, you'll see how fragile people really are, how full of crap most "masters" are, and maybe lead to better paying work. Just make sure you quit the job before it quits you, theres not many old bouncers out there.

Tid Sin
09-05-2008, 02:41 PM
The real skill is in cooling the situation without physical force. If you can do that, you're ahead of the game.

One sad situation was where an unruly patron had become physical and threatening towards me. A few words & a few minutes later, he'd told me that his father had just passed away. He was sad, angry, frustrated, you name it. He didn't know what to do and he had so much confused energy in him, so he'd gotten himself somewhat buzzed and looked for an outlet (i.e. the bar), albeit violent. I could've taken it to a physical level, but I tried a last attempt to talk to him. I'm glad I did in that situation. I felt bad for the guy. I just mentioned to him that, as much as I felt sympathy towards him, hurting other people is not the answer. Everybody makes mistakes, but not everybody learns, unfortunately.

Sometimes, though, there will be some people who'll call your bluff & possibly raise the situation to a physical level. In reality, you can't always talk yourself out of a bad situation, especially if someone just wants to scrap for whatever reason. Not everybody's nice; there are bad spirited people out there.

If such is the case:

-set the situation verbally with the rowdy patron in front of everyone present so that there'll be no doubt in anyone's mind that you're justified in reacting physically (especially if cops get involved afterwards and ask for witness accounts);

-be respectful, avoid foul language and react accordingly;

-try to grapple more than hit if possible (legal / liability reasons);

-never get into an obvious traditional fighting stance (rather, cross your arms or akimbo and stand at a slight angle so that you can react quickly without looking aggressive or threatening);

-avoid going to the ground, as others may join in and get cheap shots on you;

-if you have to take it to the ground, be aware of others;

-upright grappling would be better and could help you use one guy as a shield if confronted by multiple troublemakers;

-try to have a wall at your back so nobody can sneak up on you from behind, but be mindful about falling so that you don't hit your head, too;

-hit the torso, legs, feet and so on with your body weapons to less obvious areas;

-use palms to obvious targets such as the face;

-remember that pulling hair is not "sissy"; it could mean the difference between you getting your job done & you getting the crap beaten out of you;

-don't break joints unless a weapon is used against you and, even then, only if absolutely necessary (sometimes can't be avoided);

-end it quickly without further mess;

-leave your ego at the door;

-try to look for another source of employment, as some troublemakers have been known to seek revenge by returning to the bars to beat-up the bouncer(s) or fatally assault them.

There are probably a whole bunch of other things to mention, but I'm starved. Hope this little bit helps along with everybody else's suggestions.

htowndragon
09-05-2008, 05:30 PM
ya i figured i would mostly use shuai jiao. i had to use holds and restrains the other night to break up a fight between two promoters.

David Jamieson
09-06-2008, 01:55 PM
come alongs, belt and collar push and working in a team.

uki
09-18-2008, 02:24 PM
so i currently work as a bouncer, just wondering what techniques you guys would prefer to use in this sort of venue from your various styles? also any tips from you elders who have worked in the security service would help as wellwell... it might be nice to practice neutralizing choke holds... bouncers tend to get killed by them...:D

Lee Chiang Po
09-18-2008, 08:20 PM
One night this young man came in looking for me. I had ejected him a week earlier and every night he would come back, but would have someone else with him to help him. It always seemed to end with his being tossed out again. This night he was with 2 other guys. One of them was trying to keep my attention and the young man came up from behind and got a real good choke on me. He had me good too. I did not want to do down with him so I started shoving him at a run backwards and we hit this pipe thing and it gouged the guy in the kidney. He had to let go and I went to work on him. while his 2 buddies watch, wanting to do something but not having the guts, I drug the young man over to this concrete curb thing that keeps cars from ramming into the building, rolled him over and opened his mouth, placing it over the concrete and then stomping into the back of his head twice. I got all of his front and side teeth. He did not come back, but 2 nights later I was arrested and taken from my job to the lockup. I was fired and also was locked up for 4 months for what I did. It did not matter that he had tried to strangle me to death, but it did matter that once I beat him down I continued to do what I did. That was temper.

Steeeve
09-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Judo verbal.....thats a good strategy...you probably never read this book

the best bouncer or doormen are women....Why put a big guys at the door?

Well i could said more but dont want to insult the big ego of this big guys:D

better to used this big guys like a shield ....

Steeve

uki
09-18-2008, 08:40 PM
the best bouncer or doormen are women....i dunno... it might instigate more male idiocy...

Why put a big guys at the door?to provoke fights... job security...

Well i could said more but dont want to insult the big ego of this big guysbig guys with egos deserve to be insulted...

better to used this big guys like a shield ....better to just knock them out.

SteveLau
09-19-2008, 11:38 PM
I have thought before on whether bouncer is absolutely necessary in premises which have such job post. As for now, even when the law and order of the place is good, quite often such job post is necessary. The law is not perfect. But the work of bouncer sure is unhealthy physcially and psychologically to the person who takes up the job.

Regards,

KC
Hong Kong