PDA

View Full Version : Differences between choy lay fut and boxing punches

hulkout
09-05-2008, 06:43 PM
The other day, I asked my sifu about the differences between charp choy and jab/cross in boxing. He told me that basically with the jab-cross, you make contact and then immediately retract back which of course, I knew already. But with the charp choy, it's more of a stabbing punch. You're trying to put your fist through the opponent's body and out the other side. Of course, you don't leave it out there for a long time, but it's not brought back as quickly as a jab. Does anyone have anything else to add to this? I'd appreciate it. Also, what about the differences between pow choy and boxing uppercut?

JGTevo
09-06-2008, 12:37 AM
A boxing jab can be done a few different ways. Watch a few boxing matches to see this demonstrated. The cross as well has several variations. There's guidelines to how to do a jab and cross but trainers and fighters have several different ways of doing them, so it's kind've hard to compare, aside from the loose guidelines themselves.

Steeeve
09-12-2008, 04:58 PM
the song remain the same

Chaap choy for jab or for a cross same thing of karate with the reverse punch
or the front punch ..... also the same of a boxer

jab hit retract ,,,,,cross follow in ...

the pow choy thats a good question ...used it like a boxer thats the best way...

Steeeve

Infrazael
09-15-2008, 10:48 PM
You can use a chop choy for a jab. :)

There are many different ways to throw Chop Choy, and outside of Chop, the pantherfist can be used for a lot of other types of punches such as Chuen Ahn Choy, Deng Choy, etc.

Examples are Tau Lau Chop Choy, Lin Wan, Yin/Yang chop and Gong Chop.

Havick01
09-17-2008, 11:46 AM
[QUOTE=hulkout;880852]The other day, I asked my sifu about the differences between charp choy and jab/cross in boxing. He told me that basically with the jab-cross, you make contact and then immediately retract back which of course, I knew already. But with the charp choy, it's more of a stabbing punch. You're trying to put your fist through the opponent's body and out the other side. Of course, you don't leave it out there for a long time, but it's not brought back as quickly as a jab. Does anyone have anything else to add to this? I'd appreciate it. Also, what about the differences between pow choy and boxing uppercut?[/QUOT

In Choy Lay Fut as well as boxing a jab is a quick powerful set up punch very useful in any form of fighting, the chop choy is also very quick and powerful but can be used in many diffrent ways as infazel said. But how i use it is diffrent in the jabbing sence i turn it in to chum choy and use the panther fist as a jab as well. Very effective! The fong jong in CLF is like the boxing uppercut but the fong jong is wider, the boxing uppercut is shorter and more inside but the fong jong can be use this way also. Any of the CLF strikes and boxing strikes can be used many diffrent ways so always keep your mind open

Hebrew Hammer
09-17-2008, 12:29 PM
You might also condsider the rather large differences in foot work between the two styles...in boxing you pivot on the balls of your feet when throwing hooks or right crosses, the stances generally more compact. In CLF your are much more rooted...flat feet, broader stances and big emphasis on the hips to generate power. CLF is probably a much more stable platform, from my experience, and I always thought it would benefit greatly from incorporation of boxing's hooks. I liked the different non conventional angles that the CLF strikes present and both styles can very effective when greater use of combinations and angles of attack are employed. Straight line one, two attacks will tend be relatively easy to defend in most cases against a prepared opponent.

Another thing I would take from boxing, is the tucking of the chin, you protect your throat and keep your chin protected from knock out stike...many traditional martial artists dont' take advantage of this great defensive technique. Watch your classmates during sparring.

Infrazael
09-17-2008, 03:49 PM
In Choy Lay Fut as well as boxing a jab is a quick powerful set up punch very useful in any form of fighting, the chop choy is also very quick and powerful but can be used in many diffrent ways as infazel said. But how i use it is diffrent in the jabbing sence i turn it in to chum choy and use the panther fist as a jab as well. Very effective! The fong jong in CLF is like the boxing uppercut but the fong jong is wider, the boxing uppercut is shorter and more inside but the fong jong can be use this way also. Any of the CLF strikes and boxing strikes can be used many diffrent ways so always keep your mind open

How are you Sihing? Glad to see you talking on the boards again.

I'll be giving you a call sometime tomorrow.

Peace and I'll see you this Winter!

Eddie
09-17-2008, 10:39 PM
Personally, I dont see the differences as being to physical. Its more about concepts and theory (or strategy). In any real fight, you will never just leave your punch out there (like how someone suggested the chop choy is), and the same goes for longer arm strikes. The attack strategy should be quick, but with the correct force you want to aim for.

A fighter can take up a ‘less traditional’ fighting stance, and still apply the same ‘traditional’ strategies to his attack or strikes. This is still CLF then right? In the same way, a boxer could add some long rage swinging punches to his fighting method, and it will still be called boxing.

I see plenty of “ traditional” CLF strikes that are perfect for ring fighting. Also remember, a boxer might not be concerned with kicks, sweeps and take downs.

These style vs style arguments can be fun, but I think it can also become way to technical. Fighting should never be this technical.

Lee Chiang Po
09-18-2008, 02:18 PM
jabs, crosses and uppercuts are short weapons. Any time the arm is curled it draws it short. Also, you can only apply arm strength behind such a weapon. A straight punch can be backed by power and your body weight.
Karate teaches follow through, which to me is turning an impact into a shove. Once the fist lands the shock will be disbursed into the opponents body or head, and then it is a done deal, so the hand should be retracted almost on impact.
Boxing is a limited system, but since it is limited to only a few real movements you can practice them to the point of being really good with it. But, an individual is only going to get as good as his own physical prowess will allow. Most systems use the shoulder as the pivot point for a punch, but this very difficult for me. The elbow as the pivot allows more speed and more power. I can muster as much or even more impact behind a bunch that is thrown from the elbow rather than the shoulder, and it arrives quicker.
I once knew a young man that was an exceptional street boxer. He held both hands in front of his face, both shoulders equal distance from opponent, and did not lead except with his feet. He came right up the middle and you could simply not hit him without coming around his guard, which let him rip off your head. He struck with the second knuckles of each hand in a downward motion, and he could cut your face off so fast it was just a blur. I watched him fight some of the toughest people I have even known, and he dominated them completely from first blow to last.

Knifefighter
09-18-2008, 07:11 PM
But with the charp choy, it's more of a stabbing punch. You're trying to put your fist through the opponent's body and out the other side.
Which is exactly what you do with boxing punches. Obviously, your sifu knows nothing about boxing.

Knifefighter
09-18-2008, 07:13 PM
jabs, crosses and uppercuts are short weapons. Any time the arm is curled it draws it short. Also, you can only apply arm strength behind such a weapon. A straight punch can be backed by power and your body weight.

Boxing has no arm punches. All boxing strikes use full body torque. Torque starts with the feet, moves up the legs into the hips and torso, extending out from the shoulder and into the arm.

Lee Chiang Po
09-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Boxing has no arm punches. All boxing strikes use full body torque. Torque starts with the feet, moves up the legs into the hips and torso, extending out from the shoulder and into the arm.

------------------------------------------------------------

This is how it should be, but in watching boxing matches it is apparent that this is only when one braces for a real solid punch. Most of the boxers I see are dancing around and shooting jabs to make an opening and then dropping down for a hard right hand, depending if the person is right handed. Uppercuts can be very powerful, but tend to be really short. And during flurries you will see the arms sort of hooking at the opponent. This is backed by pure arm power. You do see what you speak of with some boxers, but not all the time. That is how with 2 boxers, all things being completely equal, one will usually out box the other.

Steeeve
09-18-2008, 08:04 PM
well said knife fighther

whats about punch without gloves...

pheonix eye punch or the panther or leopard punch ....

mostly whats the difference between a simple punch ....like a bengchuan of hsing i ...a vertical punch in WC,,,a chaap choi in Clf... or a pheonix eye punch of southern mantis or southern crane stylist ....maybe pak mei

Whats the mechanist of power generation in the waist /hip style(southern sil lum) ,,,,the elbow style or the dip gwuat (rib power)(wC, southern mantis....) or the full body punch like hsing i....

steeve

Knifefighter
09-19-2008, 09:21 AM
This is how it should be, but in watching boxing matches it is apparent that this is only when one braces for a real solid punch. Most of the boxers I see are dancing around and shooting jabs to make an opening and then dropping down for a hard right hand, depending if the person is right handed. Uppercuts can be very powerful, but tend to be really short. And during flurries you will see the arms sort of hooking at the opponent. This is backed by pure arm power.
That's because you are looking at it from the viewpoint of a non-boxer. Take some boxing and enter some competitions and you will see that things are completely different than the way you imagine.

Lee Chiang Po
09-19-2008, 09:54 PM
That's because you are looking at it from the viewpoint of a non-boxer. Take some boxing and enter some competitions and you will see that things are completely different than the way you imagine.

------------------------------------------------------

That is sort of what I was doing. Growing up I went to a Catholic school for a time and part of the PE was boxing. From there it was boxing against kids from other schools around the state. Actually, a 5 state region. Then there was boxing at the boys club. Never went Golden Gloves, but did a good bit of boxing. So I can compare it against other fighting systems to some extent. Certainly there were plenty of others that were far better at boxing than I was.
One thing I did learn was that coming dead up the center I could punch and connect more and was seldom hit with anything that would hurt me.
I am not trying to disrespect boxing or anything. I liked it and it was a great deal of fun. I did learn that in order to be real good at it one would require a degree of physical prowess. It is fairly limited in scope and not just anyone is going to become really good at it. Not good enough to defend one's self against even an average individual with some fighting skills. Not everyone is going to be a Mike Tyson. Some are destined to be PeeWee Herman's.

Knifefighter
09-22-2008, 10:18 AM
I did learn that in order to be real good at it one would require a degree of physical prowess.
To be good at any type of unarmed combat takes physical prowess.

It is fairly limited in scope and not just anyone is going to become really good at it. Not good enough to defend one's self against even an average individual with some fighting skills.
LOL... boxing is as good or better than any other single self-defense system.

Lee Chiang Po
09-22-2008, 07:53 PM
It can be as good I guess, but not everyone is going to be able to excell at it. Not everyone is going to be a Mike Tyson. The average person will never be good enough to fight against a really good gung fu system. The main reason being that it is so limited and that the average person does not have the long days of training that most really good boxers put in. If you have ever hung around a boxers gym you will see a lot of guys there, but not many of them will ever be good enough to fight for money. Most people never really get good at boxing at all. A good fighting system like wing chun can be taught and used pretty quickly by most anyone. They do not need to be real athletic or possess great physical prowess. I have done a little boxing as I said. But I could never reach the levels of some of the greats, not even if I worked 8 hours a day for years and years. These people tend to be exceptional. I have had a number of confrontations over the years and in all of them pretty much the only fight they did was boxing. It was simple to take them down. Now, this is not to say that they could not be dangerous. Anyone of any size can hurt you if you are not in control. In any fight you need to understand that you can be hurt seriously and you need to approach it with that in mind. I am not talking about ring fighting. That is sport at best and no one is in danger of being killed or maimed. In a real fight with someone that is intent upon doing you in, you can not afford to be taken down or knocked out. It could lead to your death or perminent injury.

Lama Pai Sifu
09-22-2008, 08:09 PM
It is fairly limited in scope and not just anyone is going to become really good at it. Not good enough to defend one's self against even an average individual with some fighting skills.

Wow, if it's so limited in scope and you say that most people would not be any good at it, how then, could anyone get good at Kung-Fu, when it's scope is so broad??

The average person will never be good enough to fight against a really good gung fu system.

Are you kidding?

main reason being that it is so limited and that the average person does not have the long days of training that most really good boxers put in.

You are not serious here, are you???

I was going to deconstruct the rest of your post, but I realize that there is no point.

A serious question: "Did you come to this conclusion yourself, or had a teacher/mentor shared this idea with you?" And I'm not being funny here, I would really like to know.

Infrazael
09-22-2008, 08:12 PM
Lee Chiang Po sounds like he has never been in a real fight.

Keep talking son. Keep talking.

JGTevo
09-22-2008, 11:42 PM
Most people never really get good at boxing at all. A good fighting system like wing chun can be taught and used pretty quickly by most anyone. They do not need to be real athletic or possess great physical prowess. I have done a little boxing as I said.

As someone who has extensive wing chun experience and decent boxing experience, I have to say that I have seen about 10 times as many people make boxing effective, than wing chun.

If you are not in fighting shape and something is holding you back from making boxing effective, the chances of making a kung fu system work are even worse.

At my old Wing Chun school there were maybe two or three guys, out of around 100 students over the course I was there, who I would have felt comfortable taking to a fight with me.

At my boxing gym I'd take practically everyone, except for the old fat ladies doing it for fitness.

Hell, I'd take some of the KIDS at my boxing gym over some of the WC ADULTS in any of the several WC schools I've trained at.

Infrazael
09-23-2008, 12:00 AM
As someone who has extensive wing chun experience and decent boxing experience, I have to say that I have seen about 10 times as many people make boxing effective, than wing chun.

If you are not in fighting shape and something is holding you back from making boxing effective, the chances of making a kung fu system work are even worse.

At my old Wing Chun school there were maybe two or three guys, out of around 100 students over the course I was there, who I would have felt comfortable taking to a fight with me.

At my boxing gym I'd take practically everyone, except for the old fat ladies doing it for fitness.

Hell, I'd take some of the KIDS at my boxing gym over some of the WC ADULTS in any of the several WC schools I've trained at.

Right on point. ;)

Knifefighter
09-23-2008, 09:29 AM
It can be as good I guess, but not everyone is going to be able to excell at it. Not everyone is going to be a Mike Tyson. The average person will never be good enough to fight against a really good gung fu system. The main reason being that it is so limited and that the average person does not have the long days of training that most really good boxers put in. If you have ever hung around a boxers gym you will see a lot of guys there, but not many of them will ever be good enough to fight for money. Most people never really get good at boxing at all. A good fighting system like wing chun can be taught and used pretty quickly by most anyone. They do not need to be real athletic or possess great physical prowess. I have done a little boxing as I said. But I could never reach the levels of some of the greats, not even if I worked 8 hours a day for years and years. These people tend to be exceptional. I have had a number of confrontations over the years and in all of them pretty much the only fight they did was boxing. It was simple to take them down. Now, this is not to say that they could not be dangerous. Anyone of any size can hurt you if you are not in control. In any fight you need to understand that you can be hurt seriously and you need to approach it with that in mind. I am not talking about ring fighting. That is sport at best and no one is in danger of being killed or maimed. In a real fight with someone that is intent upon doing you in, you can not afford to be taken down or knocked out. It could lead to your death or perminent injury.

This is exactly the kind of b.s. that makes kung fu a laughing stock.

What is even worse is that so many clueless kung fu instructors actually believe this cr@p and spew it down to their unsuspecting students who then become instructors and continue to spew the myths.

Steeeve
09-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Form training is the problem......maybe more shadow boxing....or walking in the forest and play with the three...for footwork and strike .....forms are just a memorize stuff like a dance choregraphie .....nothing natural or expression of urself.....ur physical ,psycho and spirit.....if you have to learn a pattern you will be stiff...dont forget to breath.....:D

bakxierboxer
09-23-2008, 11:29 PM
Form training is the problem......maybe more shadow boxing....
forms are just a memorize stuff like a dance choregraphie .....nothing natural or expression of urself.....ur physical ,psycho and spirit.....if you have to learn a pattern you will be stiff...dont forget to breath.....:D

If this is "where you are", then you've yet to learn how to actually DO kung fu "forms".
"Mu Gung Fu" is the correct term and means something surprisingly LIKE "shadow-boxing".... although a bit more like "mimicry"/"acting".

As one of his few words of "English", Wong Ark Yuey actually was prone to calling the sets "acting".

Lama Pai Sifu
09-24-2008, 07:49 AM
If this is "where you are", then you've yet to learn how to actually DO kung fu "forms".
"Mu Gung Fu" is the correct term and means something surprisingly LIKE "shadow-boxing".... although a bit more like "mimicry"/"acting".

As one of his few words of "English", Wong Ark Yuey actually was prone to calling the sets "acting".

Doesn't "Mu Gung Fu" as you wrote, literally mean "Dance" or "Play" your Gung-Fu? I don't think it's a term used for anything else than your teaching telling you to practice...

If it has some other meaning, I'd like to know about it.

MP

sanjuro_ronin
09-24-2008, 08:18 AM
Boxing VS CLF:
Both are fine for what they were designed to do AND for what they are trained to do.
Both have as much similarities as differences.

TenTigers
09-24-2008, 08:32 AM
In Gung-Fu, the term,"Play" takes on a deeper meaning. It means explore, expand your awareness, be free in your techniques, listen to your opponent,feel him, feel yourself, your reactions, etc. Children play. Their imagination takes them to other worlds, where many people as adults no longer have the ability to experience. We close ourselves off. Our rational mind, our experiences, our enviornment creates barriers and limitations on our ability to experience.

(This is the same way we create baggage, and lose our ability to have deep, meaningful relationships. We carry all this psychological baggage, and then wonder why people can't get close to us)
yet I digress...
I guess those half-doses of ritalin aren't cutting it. oh look! A bird!
:D

well, you get the idea

TenTigers
09-24-2008, 08:43 AM
Gung-Fu is about self-exploration.
"You need to steal your Sifu's hand," is an expression we constantly use. This means when you are "playing" with your Sifu, don't concentrate on what you are doing, rather, concentrate on what you are feeling him do. Then try to replicate that in yourself.
If we get too caught up in doing each movement of a form completely correct,we're thinking of the form and not of the technique. we get rigid in our thinking and our movement, which doesn't allow ourselves to break free of the form.
This the method of internalizing your Gung-Fu.

bakxierboxer
09-24-2008, 08:46 AM
Doesn't "Mu Gung Fu" as you wrote, literally mean "Dance" or "Play" your Gung-Fu? I don't think it's a term used for anything else than your teaching telling you to practice...

If it has some other meaning, I'd like to know about it.

As far as Wong Ark Yuey was concerned, it was "the other" "play", as in "play acting".
As he used it, it was very definitely NOT "dance".
Much more like "moving the way you do it".... "pantomime"/mimicry.

CFT
09-24-2008, 09:05 AM
bakxierboxer, is this "mu" the same as in "mou si zi" (move/play the lion)?

There is another martial arts saying/term: "mou do lung cheung" (playing with sabres and spears) - 舞刀弄槍

bakxierboxer
09-24-2008, 09:12 AM
"You need to steal your Sifu's hand," is an expression we constantly use.

You HAVE been doing a lot of SPM lately, haven't you? :D

If we get too caught up in doing each movement of a form completely correct,we're thinking of the form and not of the technique. we get rigid in our thinking and our movement, which doesn't allow ourselves to break free of the form.
This the method of internalizing your Gung-Fu.

Hmmm..... 'hair splitting time"?
Concentrating on the sequence/details of a set is "a phase" you need to go through while learning it.
Another stage is when you "see" your "opponent" and are fighting that opponent.
"breaking free" of a set happens (for me) when I no longer have to consciously follow the pattern of the moves as memorized, but actually begin to "drive" my "opponent" from one move to the next.... and the moves are "happening" in that "reality".

bakxierboxer
09-24-2008, 09:19 AM
bakxierboxer, is this "mu" the same as in "mou si zi" (move/play the lion)?

There is another martial arts saying/term: "mou do lung cheung" (playing with sabres and spears) - 舞刀弄槍

Possibly/probably..... I've never learned to speak or read Chinese, and my teachers seemed to like it that way.

Whether or not it's the equivalent of "Lion Dance" is probably dependent on just who the Lion Dancer is.... one of my teachers had a habit of moving the Lion Head so hard that he inevitably broke it.

jdhowland
09-27-2008, 11:41 AM
My first (Bak Sing) CLF teacher liked to emphasize "side power" when using chaap cheui. In this method the chaap comes from the lead hand using waist turning and "coiling energy" from the back foot. The whole body is launched at the opponent as he prepares to strike, ideally "breaking his horse" with hip and leg contact. The chaap makes contact as the body returns to a fully side-on position which momentarily reduces the operator's exposed targets.

An earlier mention in this thread about the different kinds of stability used in boxing and CLF reminded me that in old-time boxing matches trips, takedowns and throws were frequent and a normal part of the game. But it looks to me as if western boxing has always shown a preference for mobility over standing stability.

My personal take is that the low, flat-footed stances such as the crashing horse technique described above serves two purposes: it stabilizes the body for executing takedown moves and it concentrates mass for power strikes. A boxer can also launch his mass forward from a more upright position, but (correct me if I'm wrong, boxers) the back foot tends to be used as a stable launch pad and does not slide with the strike as in CLF.

jd

Steeeve
09-27-2008, 09:36 PM
'' Well

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=fHr6GbWPBVQ

jdhowland
09-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Um....okay.

Yes, Alice Cooper still rocks.

Steeeve
09-30-2008, 01:15 PM
ummmm I post it at the wrong place ...sorry about that;) i mean the video of Uncle Alice

Steeeve

jdhowland
09-30-2008, 03:25 PM
LOL

No need to apologize except that it wasn't one of his best moments.

jd

nospam
09-30-2008, 04:55 PM
jdhowland

The power chop! I was initially and primarily trained in that version, although now I am more ambidextrous.

I agree with your analysis of the boxer's stance...as a general rule. I have seen some unorthodox boxers, but in a nut shell I agree re: their stance. I watched one boxer fight from a side stance and his opponent obviously wasn't too sure where to target or how to adapt to the unorthodox stance.

I disagree re: the low, flat-footed stances such as the crashing horse technique ..not that I call it that, nor use it in that regard; but ours is not flat-footed per se. The lead leg is, whether in ding ji or sai ping ma but the power leg is not. This allows for some very fast footwork in combination with a lower centre of gravity to bring forth stable power.

nospam
bak hsing kwoon

jdhowland
10-01-2008, 08:02 AM
I disagree re: [I]the low, flat-footed stances such as the crashing horse technique [/I

Of course, you are right about the footwork. Without citing him i was echoing Hebrew Hammer's reference to "flat feet." Many boxers spend a lot of time up on the balls of their feet. Compared to them CLF practitioners have more "sole." The front foot is frequently used to hold onto the real estate to jam or lock the opponent's leg while the rear leg, as you say, is less rooted--the heel may raise as in gwai mah.

Even the front foot technique is not simply a flat base. A basic technique i teach is to land on the front heel, then distribute weight to the front of the foot while turning it in and pulling the rest of the body with it. This adds to the inertia already developed by the back leg and helps to accelerate one's mass even after the front foot is on the ground. Training for this involves pulling the body forward with the strength of the turning lead foot only while keeping mass evenly distributed between the feet. This works on a smooth surface; i've never seen anyone manage it on a high friction surface.

Thanks for getting the thread back on track.

jd

nospam
10-01-2008, 02:57 PM
..yes. We call that a shuffle step.

nospam.
Bah Hsing Kwoon

Steeeve
10-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Just give opinion

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=BRnQSYQZ6OI&feature=related

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=2tzGD5riUvY&feature=related

a arms weight around 15 lbs ...F= ma .....

CLF punch are very powerful .....with loose arm...no tension Relax

Infrazael
10-05-2008, 07:07 PM
System is a joke . . . .

Steeeve
10-06-2008, 01:11 PM
Infrezeal

Do U try the Systema ? I mean do you try a seminar or do you u play with a systema practitionner.....a senior one ?

Steeeve

Infrazael
10-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Infrezeal

Do U try the Systema ? I mean do you try a seminar or do you u play with a systema practitionner.....a senior one ?

Steeeve

I've seen enough of their material.

No-touch knockouts? Gun strippings? Yeah, RBSD-related combative stuff. . .

nospam
10-07-2008, 04:23 AM
..looked a lil ..off to me. But wtf do I care.

nospam
bak hsing kwoon

Steeeve
10-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Look and see is not experimented it .... keep ur mind open if u want to growth...

I never saw the no touch KO and gun stripping? Systema have a lot of method .....or style....me too i dont believe at that(no touch K o and so on)

Steeve

Infrazael
10-08-2008, 04:36 AM
Look and see is not experimented it .... keep ur mind open if u want to growth...

I never saw the no touch KO and gun stripping? Systema have a lot of method .....or style....me too i dont believe at that(no touch K o and so on)

Steeve

I've got a really open mind, I'm all for evolution and using what works and whatnot. I'm very familiar with the Chinese mentality as I grew up there most of my life and I do a lot of studies into my own culture and history . . . :D

I'll keep looking at more Systema stuff, maybe there is some good stuff that I just missed.

Take care.

-Milo

Eddie
10-08-2008, 07:39 AM
I defenatly think the Russians have some really good ideas on fighting and martial arts. Dont know much about Systema though. I shared a dorm with three of the Russian Team members at Shi Chai Hai some years back, and I must say I was really impressed with their over all martial arts skill.

In san shou, Russians dominate the floor …. I mean have you guys ever seen Salihov Muslim (king of san da) fight?

Lama Pai Sifu
10-08-2008, 08:12 AM
where are the one-touch knockouts of systema? I would like to see the clips. Please post em if you got em.

sanjuro_ronin
10-08-2008, 08:14 AM
Russians love to fight !
Their kyokushin is top notch.

I did some Systema years ago with the Big V himself.
Nice guy, good system, not my cup-of-tea.

Infrazael
10-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Indeed Russian Kyokushin fighters are nutz!!!

Steeeve
10-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Sanjuro

Big V you mean Vlad? in Canada

Do you feel his punch?

the core of systema is in the breathing.....thats for health and fighting

take a look at

http://www.russianmartialart.com/

Steeve

sanjuro_ronin
10-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Sanjuro

Big V you mean Vlad? in Canada

Do you feel his punch?

the core of systema is in the breathing.....thats for health and fighting

take a look at

http://www.russianmartialart.com/

Steeve

Yes, Vladimir.
Cool guy, knows his stuff, I recall his view on my punch was "you hit hard for a non-russian".
LOL !
I felt his punches, yes, they're fine.

Steeeve
10-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Sanjuro

Do you try some Sambo ?

Why you like more to do forms now .....imitating animals (a joke Bro)....

I felt his punches, yes, they're fine. Be humble He hit hard ....

Take care Bro

Steeeve

sanjuro_ronin
10-10-2008, 04:21 AM
Sanjuro

Do you try some Sambo ?

Why you like more to do forms now .....imitating animals (a joke Bro)....

I felt his punches, yes, they're fine. Be humble He hit hard ....

Take care Bro

Steeeve

I did some Sambo while in the army.
Not sure what you are talking about in regards to forms.
He hits hard, sure, every one hits hard, they do hit "differently" than most. maybe that is why some people view it as "harder", the hit on angles, especially downward and hit with "torquing" power, but I had done that before so...

kung fu fighter
11-12-2008, 12:55 PM
"Boxing has no arm punches. All boxing strikes use full body torque. Torque starts with the feet, moves up the legs into the hips and torso, extending out from the shoulder and into the arm."

Does CLF use the same power generation mechanics as boxing?

Infrazael
11-12-2008, 07:44 PM
"Boxing has no arm punches. All boxing strikes use full body torque. Torque starts with the feet, moves up the legs into the hips and torso, extending out from the shoulder and into the arm."

Most systems use this kind of power.

I don't think ANY system in the world promotes "arm punches."

Boxers just tend to train much harder than your average CMA guy and that's why they dominate.

Lama Pai Sifu
11-13-2008, 08:01 AM

If the practitioner is 'good' it does.

kung fu fighter
11-13-2008, 12:50 PM
If the practitioner is 'good' it does.

Does CLF generate power more like mohamed Ali or a young Mike Tyson?

Infrazael
11-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Does CLF generate power more like mohamed Ali or a young Mike Tyson?

Two CLF fighters will fight differently . . . just like how Ali and Tyson fought differently.