PDA

View Full Version : push hands

mkriii
09-10-2008, 09:05 AM
I have a question for anyone that can answer it.......Is push hands the same as sticky hands? :)

Xiao3 Meng4
09-10-2008, 10:14 AM
...depends on who you're playing with. Both games have their strong points, with each game helping to training different aspects of bridged combat.

The sticky hands people I know generally focus on simultaneous sticking and striking, whereas most push hands players I've pushed with tend to focus on sticking and throwing/locking/uprooting. Sticky handers are "often" forearm obsessed, target -focused speed junkies, while push-handers are "frequently" speed-limited structure nuts.

I'm always happiest when I find someone who can incorporate both sticky and push hands into the same game, or can at least practice striking/throwing/locking/uprooting from within their chosen game.

Oh, and I'm not a fan of minimum OR maximum speed limits, although I recognize their value for specific skill development.

That said, I do enjoy both games as separate entities as well.

mkriii
09-10-2008, 10:39 AM
I guess that I'm more of a sticky hands guy then. But I would like to try incorporating both together since I have a somewhat of a background to throwing and uprooting (i wrestled 4 years in high school). Sounds cool.

brucereiter
09-10-2008, 12:38 PM
hi mark,

here is a bit of one aspect of push hands training i do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0TDZpJMLvM

what type of sticky hand/push hands what ever you like to label it do you practice?

mkriii
09-10-2008, 01:05 PM
I don't really have to much experience in it other than where you stick with the opponents wrists and try to find openings by getting your wrist or hands on the inside of thier's and then striking them. More of a sensativity exercise to since what move they are going to do next. I'd like to earn more of it

Judge Pen
09-10-2008, 01:38 PM
I don't really have to much experience in it other than where you stick with the opponents wrists and try to find openings by getting your wrist or hands on the inside of thier's and then striking them. More of a sensativity exercise to since what move they are going to do next. I'd like to earn more of it

I thought you studied tai chi? How do you study tai chi without training listening energy?

punchdrunk
09-10-2008, 02:01 PM
there are many different types and methods of sticky hands and push hands coming from many different arts, so any answer would be too general and the question is not specific enough. Unless a "no" is good enough.

mkriii
09-10-2008, 02:02 PM
I am learning the yang short form only. I never said I was learning it as a system.

brucereiter
09-10-2008, 02:15 PM
I am learning the yang short form only. I never said I was learning it as a system.

what is your intention in learning the " the yang short form only"? (do you mean the standard 24 form? cheng man ching form? or what?)

does your ng school only teach the movements of the form?

Judge Pen
09-10-2008, 02:30 PM
In my opinion, listening energy is the essence of yang tai chi.