PDA

View Full Version : Former Students of Master Park Chil Sung

kung-fu_newell
09-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Hello Kung Fu Brothers and Sisters,

I just wanted to start a thread for all those service members out there who have studied under Master Park in Korea. It has been several years since I have heard anything from or about him. Last I heard he was still teaching in Tongduchon Korea at Camp Casey. I studied with him from 2001-2002 and am always delighted to talk to former students and find out information about how he is doing. He was my first teacher in Kung Fu and I have been studying and having fun at it ever since. I now study under Raymond Fogg and the Seven Star System. If anyone out there would like to post comments or experiences or know how to get in contact with him please post a note. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Kung Fu Newell

plummantisgeek
01-01-2011, 01:49 AM
i studied with mr pak from 2007 to 2009 he turned 80 in 2009 and was healthy and still teaching when i was there. i dont have any address for him but i know he was the elected representitive of the senior citizens council in dongducheon dont know if that could help you contact him.

mooyingmantis
01-01-2011, 08:49 AM
What style did he teach?

ginosifu
01-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Richard,
Korean Mantis has been around for quite a while. Back in the 80's there was a Korean Mantis teacher here named Master Chun. Not to say that the Koreans stole some kung fu, but they took Mantis and Koreaned it so to speak.

I have had some students who trained with him.. there stuff is different ! It look's sorta like kung fu? But it's definately Korean.

ginosifu

plummantisgeek
01-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Mr Pak taught me mostly plum blossom praying mantis with a tiger style form and a little tai chi (he teaches tai chi to senior citizens in his free time.) most of his forms were kind of unique in that i have only found a few from outside sources, one form bong bo which is common in all mantis i think is a little different the way he teaches it but mostly the same, i asked him why it was different and he said he knew the common way and even showed me but said he learned the way he taught when he was a kid and liked it better. hes a great easy going guy one of hte nicest ive ever met

MasterKiller
01-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Richard,
Korean Mantis has been around for quite a while. Back in the 80's there was a Korean Mantis teacher here named Master Chun. Not to say that the Koreans stole some kung fu, but they took Mantis and Koreaned it so to speak.

I have had some students who trained with him.. there stuff is different ! It look's sorta like kung fu? But it's definately Korean.

ginosifu

In South Korea, Mantis is typically blended with Shandong Long Fist and even Bagua sometimes because of the close affiliation several Chinese masters had when they immigrated there. But it still looks like CMA. But there are instances where a TKD teacher learned a little of this or that and has added it to their curriculum as well.

See the current issue of Kung Fu Magazine for an article about it.;)

mantisenator
01-12-2011, 04:09 AM
i studied with mr pak from 2007 to 2009 he turned 80 in 2009 and was healthy and still teaching when i was there. i dont have any address for him but i know he was the elected representitive of the senior citizens council in dongducheon dont know if that could help you contact him.

That's good to hear. I trained under him from 2003-2005. I've been keeping up with him since then, but he changed his number back in 2008. I've tried to figure out another way to get a hold of him, but no luck.

Depending on what you were interested to learn may have influenced what he taught you. For example, I never learned Bagua from him but he taught that exclusively to his daughter.