PDA

View Full Version : Back at it in the 'Peg

WinterPalm
09-13-2008, 05:24 PM
I haven't made any new posts on my last blog on here and since my training all around hasn't been what it should be, plus work has been so time consuming...I'm now back in school and returning to my usual training frequency. I'm hoping to learn from some mistakes from my last blog and overall quality of life to improve both that and my training.

Things to change:

Previously I was doing too many two a days, and that is fine in competition season but otherwise, too draining to be doing constantly.
Therefore I'm going to be doing six days a week with two of those days having a BJJ session in the morning and then a strength and conditioning session in the evening.
The split will be:
Mon: BJJ + Strength and Conditioning
Tues:San Da
Wed: BJJ
Thurs: San Da Sparring/Wrestling
Fri: BJJ/Extra Pad session + Strength and Conditioning
Sat: San Da

I'm going to split my strength and conditioning work with a quick warmup of Turkish getups and windmills, then a strength component, and then finish with a few intense cardio circuits mixing kettlebells, sandbags, and bodyweight stuff.

Two of the three days I train BJJ are no-gi so I will most likely be aiming at competing in no-gi this coming October but I might do gi as well depending on how things go.

Things that are good:
The past month my BJJ training has been sporadic at best but my San Da has been very consistent and I'm getting more and more comfortable and improving all areas of the game. I've actually drastically increased my striking conditioning and now do 3 5min rounds of Thai pads after a long class of drilling and conditioning.

Goals:
Although I have things I am working for in regards to strength and conditioning I've decided that my way of measuring has always been just to get better at fighting so numbers and time amounts don't really appeal to me at this point.
That said, I'd like to press the 55pd kettlebell for 3 reps a side as this still eludes me!
For San Da it is just to get my clinch game and throwing off of striking up to par.

Competition goals: I'm going to do a submission wrestling tourney. May do MMA around New Years, and then fight San Da sometime in the new year in Vancouver.

WinterPalm
09-14-2008, 04:21 PM
13 Sept 2008

San Da

Warmed up with jogging and footwork, rolls, breakfalls, and tumbling drills. Then did 2 2min rounds of 30sec each of: 1 Jab-Shoot, Jab-Cross, Sprawl, 2 Bear crawl, 3 penetration stepping, 4 crab walks.

Then did uch komi with shoot in and lift, seoi nage with lift, hip toss with lift. Ten each.
Then worked on entering off the 50/50 clinch into a fireman's carry/dump. Then worked the fireman's carry throw off of a right overhand.
Then did some Thai clinching off of hooks and some defense in the form of a body lock.
Did 3x5min Thai pads. One of the bigger guys has been holding the pads for me and I'm loving his style. We added counters kicks in the form of catching and going into position, every now and then he'd shoot on me and make me sprawl, off of his right overhand I'd block and do a fireman's carry lift. Plus he'd yell at me to shoot and I'd lift him. Being 180 and him being 210, I'm getting much stronger at these lifts and his weight is not really a problem anymore.

Then I stayed and did about 7-8 rounds of heavybag on the new Thai bag I bought for the gym.
I've also stopped using 14oz gloves on the bag and only use small bag gloves in a desire to improve my striking power and alignment.

All together a good hard workout much needed after many weeks of work and minimal workouts.

WinterPalm
09-14-2008, 04:23 PM
14 Sept 2008

Sunday is still a day off.
Sat through 8 hrs of First Aid/CPR training...whoopee.

Tomorrow is BJJ in the morning and then I have to finish painting a house so I might not be able to do my strength and conditioning. :( But I am going to give er hard on sparring and get some solid work in. I need to get ready to compete in 5 weeks.

WinterPalm
09-16-2008, 09:32 AM
15 Sept 2008

BJJ
Worked on a choke counter to seoi nage throw. Then worked extensively on passing the guard with one guy on his back and the other guy standing.
Then rolled with the instructor twice and a blue belt for a long time. Hit some good stuff but got caught in the end with an odd arm bar variation I've never seen before.
Tweaked my kimura a bit and learned an interesting way to defend the Americana.

Managed to do some kettlebell in the evening...not nearly as much as I'd like but beetter than nothing:
TGU
40X2
55X2
75X2X2
55X5

Did three single presses with the 55 and a set of rows with the 75.

WinterPalm
09-17-2008, 03:56 PM
16 Sept 2008

San Da

Only one guy today who's very green so we did some basic stuff.

Warmed up with 3X3:30 min skipping. Did some mobility stuff, and then straight into mechanics drills for lead straight and rear straight. Worked on his footwork and showed him front and rear push kicks...two basic skills to get started on.
Then we did a circuit 3X with 20 sec intervals and a 20 sec rest period after 2min of:
Jab-Shoot(penetration step), pushups, 1-2 sprawl, jumping squats, skip knees, and bear crawl sprints. This felt good!

Then 5X3min on the heavy bag. 1rd punches, 1rd kicks, 3rds both.
Short but sweet.

WinterPalm
09-17-2008, 03:59 PM
17 Sept 2008
BJJ

No instructor so we warmed up and then worked on guard passing. I was with a female and a male blue belt so I had the pleasure of learning some great things from them and then we sparred.
In between bouts I would get advice and learned a bunch of new stuff and made improvements on my technique. All in all we sparred for about an hour.
Felt good and actively went for things like triangles that I don't normally do. It was good!

Now off to wrestle for two hours!:eek:

WinterPalm
09-18-2008, 09:57 AM
17 Sept 2008 cont.

Wrestling

Worked on a double shoot off of an underhook with wrist control. Then worked a duck under from the same position.
Then worked on a pinning manuever with the dude on his stomach and you roll him over you, you bridge on your head, and land on him to score points or something.

Good fun. No sparring yet but probably a good thing as I'm still learning drills and at once a week my learning curve is going to be long!

WinterPalm
09-20-2008, 10:58 AM
18 Sept 2008

No sparring. Main sparring partner bailed and I was tired. Probably should have gone anyway.

19 Sept 2008

BJJ
No Gi today. Worked on a bit of armbar stuff and then a plethora of sparring. A 205er that hasn't been around was here and I was hoping he'd be around. Dude has an incredible top game and will not give up his position so we had some fun rounds.
Then him and I worked on some techniques from a book he just picked up on Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. Then we worked on some no-gi judo throws and shared info. Learned a couple of modified grips that may or may not work for san shou but were otherwise good to learn.

Stayed after and did about 7-8 3min rounds on the Thai bag.

Kettlebell
TGU
40X2
55X2
70X2X2

4 Rounds of a strength couplet with 30 sec rests between sets
Front Squat 105pds, and pullups
Reps: 6,5,4,4,3,2
Not bad.

3min of 55pd clean and jerk alternating every 5 reps. Good metabolic conditioning.

Ended with 5min of sandbag play. Sandbag weighs 100 but I'm going to up that weight soon. Did zercher walks, shoulder walks, shouldering, cleaning, etc.

That's all.

__________________________________________________ _______________

I've been thinking that I'm going to make my conditioning workouts way more intense and way more brief. That whole kettlebell workout took 20-30 min and I think I could make it shorter if not for the strength work.

WinterPalm
09-23-2008, 01:08 PM
20 Sept 2008

San Da
Warmed up with a quick mobility dynamic movement routine. Then went on to throwing practice focusing on technique and a mantis type of hook to the front leg into a plow...more or less.
Then worked extensively on four kicks and counter drill courtesy of NY San Da. Then we worked on some Thai clinching off of hooks and then some defenses and strategies from there.

Ended with a conditioning routine I made up:
5 quick fireman lifts off of a hook, on the fifth one, carry the guy across the mat, then do the other side and carry him back, then 5 quick shoot lifts with the last one lifting him all the way up and carrying him across the mat, then the other side.
I did this at a bodyweight of 180 with a 210 training partner in just under 1:30. He did it at 2:20.

Do your conditioning kiddies and you won't be sucking wind in an alley some day!

WinterPalm
09-25-2008, 10:07 AM
No training on Sunday and Monday...had to work all day and didn't feel too good. A wee bit tired.

23 Sept 2008
BJJ
Went to the evening class with a different instructor. Did some good conditioning and some drills as everyone is getting ready for the coming up competition.
Rolled with the instructor. Got a heel into the temple when he rolled over as I went for his back. Head is mushy two days later...:eek:
Had some fun rolling with a couple of guys. One was a little more of a beginner than me so I let him get positions and attempt subs while I defended. He seemed to think it was a stalemate until I decided to submit him various ways. Sometimes it's just fun to roll fast and keep the scrambles going hard...probably why I prefer no-gi...much faster paced and favors the more atheltic guy.

WinterPalm
09-25-2008, 10:12 AM
24 Sept 2008

BJJ
Worked on a bunch of takedowns off the headlock...Gracie self-defense stuff I suppose.
Then had a fun roll with the instructor...******* kept spinning above me and toying with me but it was fun and then I got choked out. The End.
Then I rolled with a blue belt I have 40pds on. Sometimes I last 15 min or even tap him. Today he tapped me about 30sec into each match. We had about 10 I think.:(

San Da
Warmed up with a mobility thing I got from a NYSanDa vid.
Worked on defending and countering push kicks.
Drilled Thai clinching off of hooks with some counters.
Worked four kicks and counter drill.
Then did a bit of footwork the guys wanted to work on.

Then 6 3min rounds of shadowboxing and then heavybag back and forth.
Then we kicked the suitcase pad each holding for a minute while the rest circled using footwork and delivered one kick. There was only four of us but that meant 3min each of right leg kick, left leg kick, lead sidekick, and southpaw sidekick.

Then we did a Tabata finisher of three exercises three times through for a total of 4.5min:
Bodyweight row
Pushup (I did half moon and Hindu)
Squat thrust with a 20pd medicine ball.

A **** good class and some good old fashioned hard work to top it off!

On a side note, it's no wonder I'm sore from painting, go train, painting, go train all day yesterday.:cool:

WinterPalm
09-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Took a couple days off to chill and get some work done.

27 Sept 2008

BJJ
A very intense conditioning class with piles and piles of drills including takedowns. Good stuff!

San Da
Had a relaxed workout and just worked with a new guy on techniques and put him through 5 rounds of pads.

WinterPalm
09-30-2008, 09:52 AM
29 Sept 2008

BJJ

Good workout. Worked lots of throws and counters to standing grabs...kind of traditional training I guess but fun stuff.

Then rolled and had some really good back and forth matches. Only tapped to the blue belt once.
Had a fun roll with the instructor...showed me some collar chokes using one lapel grab and using their gi for the other side.

Conditioning
Warmed up with turkish getups doing:
50X2
55X2
75X2X2 I think next time I'll add a set of these.

Then did the following with a 50pd kettlebell:
5 Clean and Press
5 Snatch
5 Row
Switch hands and repeat immeditately then do 10 hindu pushups. Rest 45 and repeat 4 times. The weight wasn't enough for the rows but I wanted to do a strength/endurance thing with this workout and really bring out the lactic acid in the pulling and gripping muscles...it WORKED.

Then I decided to do more of a lower body circuit as the first one was mostly upper body so I did a couplet of 75pd 2hand Swings and squat jumps descending from 10 for the swings and ascending from 1 for the jumps. I took just deep breathes and little rest. Took less than five minutes.

These two little circuits worked every muscle in the body in a way that is conducive to addressing the energy and muscular demands of grappling and provided a great metabolic blast. My whole system was taxed but I felt great.

WinterPalm
10-01-2008, 08:02 PM
30 Sept 2008
Evening class of BJJ
Worked a bunch of guard passing drills. It was fun.
Had two sparring matches. Both went about 10-15 min. One with an almost blue belt and another with a blue belt. Good fun!

WinterPalm
10-01-2008, 08:05 PM
31 Sept 2008 (Also known as 1 Oct 2008...but has October already come!?)

BJJ
Rolled. That was it. Had an insane 20 min match with the blue belt before he submitted me from a beautiful throw...I'll find out the name soon.
However, later when rolling with him I managed to make him tap off of a choke so that made my day.:cool:
Then he sub'd me several times.

San Da
Skipping and pummeling.
Kick countering and working on getting into and defending the clinch. Good stuff.
Did 3X5min on the pads. Felt great.

Got offered a pro MMA fight for November but turned it down. I still want to compete amateur in San Shou and hopefully amateur MMA so this is not the time in my life for that kind of commitment...or death wish!:eek:

WinterPalm
10-03-2008, 08:47 AM
2 Oct 2008

Sparring
Warmed up and then wrestled two rounds just for takedowns.

Then did 3X3min rounds of medium contact San Da (not full out but still so that each strike rings your bell or leaves a decent bruise). I really wanted to work on the clinch today and use my knees so our session played out differently than usual. I managed some pretty sweet kick catch sweeps and a nice hip toss from the clinch.
Also got taken down by a couple of single leg takedowns. Worked my right hand more than usual and landed some good jabs.
My sparring partner is getting better at throwing when we break the clinch so I started doing that as well and it seemed to work.

Then I jumped in on the no-gi grappling class. First was rotating on three guys in the center and trying to throw them. I managed a modified fireman's carry takedown on a 215 dude that has good judo skills. Felt great about that. Also got taken down many times.
Ended with mount and side-mount escapes and then 30 sec sparring sprints.

WinterPalm
10-04-2008, 06:35 AM
3 Oct 2008
Pretty sore and tired...oh well.

BJJ
no-gi today. Just myself and a blue belt showed up. We went over a few things and then rolled. I've realized that I need to work on my armbar technique as everybody pretty much rolls out of it. That said, I almost had a Doerkson choke and a triangle choke on him...closest I've come to using a triangle in sparring.
He tapped me in some pretty interesting ways. Had some good long rolls about 45 straight with little water breaks.

No conditioning. I'm beat.

WinterPalm
10-04-2008, 04:06 PM
4 Oct 2008
Made a dream catcher today...first time ever. Neat.

San Da
Warmed up with jogging and then lots of rolls and bear crawls.
Then we did two rounds of 30 sec shadow box, 30 sec pummel, we did 2min rounds with 30 sec rest. Just a warm up...essentially.
Then we worked on a couple of throws off of a deep underhook ala the wrestling coach I was training with. Guys seemed to like that. Then we worked on some counters and played around with that for a bit.
Then I sparred my rambunctious buddy for 4:30...supposed to be 5min but he gassed something fierce. Got to work on my hands more today, clinched with knees and worked the combos...trying to kick off of every hands exchange. Still medium contact but had some good exchanges and hits.

Then did several one minute rounds with 10 sec rest of different drills with different partners:
1.) One guy punches the other one defends and tries to shoot for a takedown.
2.) Grab a leg such as you would encounter off of a single leg, and try to take the guy down.
3.) 3min round robin on a guy trying to either shoot or clinch and take each other down. After someone goes down, next guy comes with one guy staying there the whole time.

Thai pads:
Did 4X3min of the Bas Rutten Thai boxing...fun.
Worked some kick combos on the suitcase pad: lead sidekick to rear leg kick. Then spin kick to lead leg kick.

Ended with some abs of agony.

Had a dude who is a BB in karate with us today. He has some good skill and has been doing BJJ and Judo for some time. He seemed to really like the class and hopefully he comes back.

A good session and a beautiful Winnipeg fall day...not many left.:(

WinterPalm
10-06-2008, 06:18 PM
6 Oct 2008
No training yesterday.

Today:
BJJ
Worked on some guard passing and then taking the back off of a choke commenced and failed during knee on belly.
Rolled a lot. Tapped the blue belt to an armbar...then and before that got tapped many a time. Realized I wasn't defending the triangle with the right arm...which makes sense because everybody taps me to an armbar from the triangle.:D

Kettlebell
TGU
50X2
55X2
75X2X2sets...next time 3...maybe.;)

Circuit same as last time but 4th set with a heavier kettlebell.
Clean and Press (Push press after first two sets) a5L/5R
Snatch
Row
Hindu Pushup

Then a 5min Tabata swings with the 75er...good god that was painful.

However, while rolling today, a guy said he was completely gassed after we went at it and I got tapped out, however I felt great and sparred another hour...now just to get better technique!

WinterPalm
10-09-2008, 09:26 AM
7 Oct 2008
BJJ
Easy technique class. Rolled with the blue belt. Went 15 with no taps but spent a good amount of time with the bugger on my back.

8 Oct 2008
BJJ
Technique work. Good escapes from sidecontrol and some choke options. Some ueses of half-guard to set up chokes.

San Da
Warmed up with skipping and pummeling.
Worked on defending flurries and worked on chasing down runners ending with a leg kick.
Worked leg catches and leg catch off of thigh kick.
Worked Thai clinch technique and drilled it off of hook punches.
Sparred 4 2min rounds just standing with no throwing. Just wanted to get in a couple of light rounds working on specific techniques. Focused on footwork and trying to get my right straight tighter and in there. Worked stop kicks of various sorts as well.
Then we did 3X3:30min on the heavy bags. Not enough guys of Thai pads so we hit the bags instead...sometimes we do both but today just the heavy bags.

Ended with 4 rounds of a tabata circuit of the following:
Bodyweight row
Pushup
Squat thrust with 20pd medicine ball.
Total: 7:30...20 sec on, 10 sec rest, switch stations during the rest break.

All together another great workout.

WinterPalm
10-10-2008, 03:31 PM
9 Oct 2008
BJJ No Gi
No sparring for San Da on these days anymore. I'm going to start trying to get some pad rounds Friday afternoons so I have at least 3 days a week of just striking practice. As it stands I'm rolling 5-6 days a week...but that's comp prep.

Today we did a bit of a nice warmup and then into rolling.
Had some good long matches...tapped to some weird stuff. Tapped a guy to a weirdly positioned armbar.
Made up a new Steve Maxwell inspired rolling exercise. I've been watching and really admiring Andre Galvao's exercise routine and going to keep trying it out.

10 Oct 2008
BJJ No Gi again.

Warmed up good and proper with some mobility and rolling around doing weird movement stuff...really enjoying the rolling flowing stuff.
Then worked side control escapes for awhile and onto sparring.
Almost got a couple of things on the blue belt...felt like a good roll. Then got steamrolled by a huge 210 guy who has next to no gas but is strong, very strong, and will not give up top position. I had his back for awhile but couldn't do anything with it. Fun but frustrating.

Kettlebell coming up shortly...

WinterPalm
10-11-2008, 03:43 PM
10 Oct 2008 cont.

Kettlebell 300 Challenge...followed the vid and kept up till the end with the crush pushups. A pretty good workout. I'm going to start, after the tournament, having a once a week 300 day...will rotate the bodyweight one and this one. I'm going to keep Friday as a heavy day with the heavier kettlebells, the sandbag, and some weighted bodyweight stuff.

WinterPalm
10-11-2008, 03:47 PM
11 Oct 2008

San Da
Small group.

Did a bunch of wacky agility exercises...fun stuff to break up the usual monotony...the guys seemed to like it. Then we did a circuit of sprawls, shoots, and some exercise I've invented called Rolling Daves. Then we worked on some striking off of a deep controlling underhook.
Then pads focusing on specific countering and defending drills...basically integrating everything.
Did 3 3min rounds of the heavybag afterwards.

Good day, felt tired, but good fun. Now a couple days off for turkey...then a couple of light days...then two days of active recovery and mobility, then cut weight, then fight. I'm at about 177 in the morning so 170 shouldn't be a problem.

WinterPalm
10-15-2008, 09:00 PM
15 Oct 2008

Had some sick days in there but wasn't planning on doing much.

Got engaged.:cool:

Rolled today with 3 people: 2 blue belts and one very strong almost blue belt with 35+ pounds on me. Managed to pass everyone's guards and get some ok position. Tapped to the big guy but I know exactly what I did wrong.
That was all I needed to mentally prepare myself for the comp this Saturday. Now it's just clean eating (minus the ribs I had for supper), yoga, rest, sweating out a good 8 pounds on Friday, and then fighting...maybe some studying in there as well.

As well, I just communicated with Sifu Josh Schafer, the Red Mantis, and am going to start training with him again. It's been waaaaaay too long!:eek:

couch
10-17-2008, 12:25 PM
15 Oct 2008

Got engaged.:cool:

Congrats. And kudos on the training updates. I truly enjoy them. Can't wait to hear about the BJJ comp.

All the best,
Kenton

WinterPalm
10-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Congrats. And kudos on the training updates. I truly enjoy them. Can't wait to hear about the BJJ comp.

All the best,
Kenton

Thanks man, appreciate it. I think my log is different because it's just training and nothing specific like a weight training log.
That said,

I did not win either of my matches this morning. The first bout I decided, I have no idea why, to try a flying armbar which I've never even done in sparring, it didn't work!:D Then we scrambled, he got knee on belly which gave me time to adjust, I threw him off, then he was in my guard and I actively tried for a minute or so to choke him out, then he got out and I was in his guard and he went for an omoplata and a choke off that, both of which my yoga inspired flexibility pulled me out of, I got side control, tried my ****edest for an eziekel choke but made the mistake of going knee on belly (which is a position I don't particularly care for) and he reversed me into my guard but then time was up and I was down on points. I think I also had him in a pretty tight gullitione at one point but the ezekiel was so **** close!

2nd bout: dude shot for a double leg, I easily sprawled as this is a strong area for me, then decided to go for a gullitione but that wasn't very good and he got out. Then he passed me guard straight into half, I reversed him and ended up in a triangle position and fought from there. He held on and it got worse and worse and soon I was turning purple and the ref is yelling at me to let him know if I'm ok but I kept fighting it until I just said **** it, and tapped.

However, my conditioning, strength, and explosiveness were not an issue whatsoever and it is just more time on the mat and more technique refinement.
A good fun time and some good things learned.

WinterPalm
10-23-2008, 10:26 AM
Missed a few days of posting so here's the update.

20 Oct 2008
BJJ
A nice relaxed class of just rolling lightly and experimenting. Got some time in with the coach and worked some new stuff. Coach gave me another strip for the white belt for my first fight on Saturday...says I did a lot of good things and am starting to move like I should be. Made me happy despite losing.
Worked some really good flow drills at the end...hoping to do this a lot in the months ahead.

Kettlebell.
I'm going to work a bit more on the strength and let sparring, rolling, and pad work be my cardio for the next while.

Warmed up with 2 rounds of Bas Rutten boxing workout. A bit of mobility stuff.
Then TGU with 55X3, 75X2X2. Also did several sets of 3 for windmills with the 55er. Might try these with the 75er soon.

Did four rounds of
55 Press X1 (Did one set of 2. The left arm is getting stronger and I should be able to do larger sets soon enough)
Bent Row 75X3, then immediately do 4 more reps with the 55. This is a great exercise.
Single leg squat 20 pounds X 3 reps per leg. Still trying to get the balance back on these as I used to do a lot of these!

Then did a super set of 100pd sandbag squats and weighted pullups.
Pullups 2 with 40pds...probably should have used the 20pder...oh well!
Sandbag on the shoulder squats, 5 per side.
Did this 2 or 3 times.
Ended with 3 sets of 10 75pd swings and 10 bottoms up kettlebell pushups.

21 Oct 2008
Took the day off and spent it with my girl.

22 Oct 2008
BJJ
Lots of rolling, worked on some chokes and just general positioning with the coach giving me openings and letting me capitalize. I like his style of teaching.

San Da
Warmed up with lots of skipping and pummeling, shadow boxing.
Then we worked some plyometrics tossing medicine balls at the wall.
Then slipping and countering jabs and crosses.
Then some boxing only sparring.
Then some sparring where one guy can punch and kick and the other guy can only punch and tries to neutralize and counter off the kicks.
Pretty much did that for quite awhile. Relaxed and fun.

Then myself and one other guy jumped into the Muay Thai class as there's a new coach and wanted to try the class out:
A lot of pushups and situps and some really good lactic acid inducing lower body work.
Did some rounds of the heavybag and the coach held the pads for me and it was awesome. I really look forward to having this area of my game improved on by the attention of a great striking coach.

It was a 3.5 hr soak fest and felt great!

WinterPalm
10-25-2008, 05:50 PM
23 Oct 2008
Nothing. Was going to go down for some boxing/kickboxing but I was very tired. The night before destroyed my system...no particularily sore place but everything was tired.

24 Oct 2008
BJJ
Worked late and only got in one quick roll as the class was finishing. Rolled with the big guy who gasses quick. Got him after the instructor as a way of pushing him...he quits when he gets tired. He got some positions, I defended all of his stuff and constantly kept him in guard and even worked the top for some submissions for some time. I'm really starting to appreciate the technicality of this stuff. Guy eventually gassed when I countered a sloppy armbar and then he quick. It was still fun. Coach even said some good things about me regaining guard and using my hip movement and legs to keep him locked down.

Then I did a striking workout.
Skipping and tons of agility stuff
Then we each did 5X3min rounds on the focus pads.

WinterPalm
11-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Haven't updated this sucked in awhile. I've been training but friggin busy with school.
I've been training 4 days per week. BJJ Mon, Wed, and Fri...San Da Wed and Sat with the occasional Friday pad session and doing strength work Mon and Fri night. Our gym just hired a new Muay Thai coach so I'll be training with her Wed night for some torture!

I've started doing some EDT training for strength, here's what I'm doing:

Monday
Clean and Jerk w/75pd Kettlebell 15min PR Zone:
This past Monday, I guess the 3rd of Nov, I got 33 per arm or 66 total.
Snatch 'n Squat w/55pd Kettlebell 10min PR Zone: 30 per arm and also 1 per arm with the 75er...can't quite snatch it comfortably yet...don't want to bugger me shoulder. So 62 reps.

Friday (Today)
Military Press and Bent Row 15min PR Zone:
MP w/55er: 15 reps per arm or 30 total. BR w/75er: 30 per arm or 60 total.
Single Leg Squat and Swing 10min PR Zone:
SLS: 24 reps per leg or 48 total. Swing w/75er: 40 per arm or 80 total.

First time for all of these and I expect to be bettering these times each workout up to some point or another...I suppose a goal would be helpful!:D

WinterPalm
11-12-2008, 02:50 PM
10 Nov 2008
Warmed up with 75pd TGUs.
Clean and Jerk w/75pd Kettlebell 15min PR Zone: 37 per arm or 74 total. 6 reps PR or 3rep PR per arm.
Decided to scrap the Snatch and Squat as it just doesn't tax the legs enough. Decided on 110pd sandbag squats. Basically what I do is shoulder it, do a specific amount of reps, put it down, shoulder to the other side and do the same amount of reps.

Sandbag Squat w/110pd Sandbag 10min PR Zone: 36 reps total or 18 per side.

For a finisher I recently made a mace bell. Basically just took an 8pd sledge hammer and put some olympic plates down the shaft until it weighted 25.5 pds.
Did about 35 swings each direction...monstrous. I am still sore 2 days later but I can feel this will greatly increase my strength at odd angles and it really blasts the forearms and the wrists.
Good stuff!

11 Nov 2008
Got in some good hard wrestling for takedown and then some San Da sparring. Managed to shoot a double leg on a guy I've always been afraid to...usually expect to get kicked in the face but I managed to pull it off. Noticed some things that need to be tightened up and am going to make drills for those tonight.

WinterPalm
08-18-2009, 08:36 AM
18th August 2009
Haven't been updating this sucker in some time.
Still training hard.
Won gold at the Tiger Balm International San Shou competition. Put in some serious time to pull that off. Had three matches. Conditioning held up...but was a bit tentative: really wanted to work being relaxed and not blowing my wad but everyone said I was way too relaxed. I'll need a healthy balance for the next time I fight...somewhere in between my first and second year.
Going to fight amateur MMA in November...was supposed to be Sept but I've been working crazy with roofing and painting and don't have enough time or energy to get in competition shape...that said, I'm still training six days a week.:cool:

Schedule:
BJJ Mon and Wed in Gi and Friday no-gi.
San Da: Tues, Thurs, and Saturday sparring and bag work.

Been working a lot of technique since I got back from competing in March. Not too much strength and conditioning stuff...though I'm not in terrible shape, just not where I was. However, all the physical work I'm doing has made my back and grip stronger so that's a plus!

Right now I'm just preparing for a grappling tourney in Oct and then the MMA in November.

Today weighed 181.1 upon waking up. 12 pounds over so not that big a deal...been eating too much crap and drinking too much beer for my own liking. What can you do? At least I've got a decent tan going.

Yesterday I worked out so here's the workout:
Bag workout
Warmed up with 33sec intervals of various skipping, footwork, and agility exercises: speed and movement are something I'm stressing right now over power or anything else.
Did 4 rounds of boxing on the Thai bag working on straight punching, then power punching, then mixing it up. Really working my movement and fakes, then moving away after hitting.
Did 2 rounds of punch and kick combos.

Then BJJ class: worked guard passes and sweeps from guard: neither of which I'm good at! Basically I can throw from standing and land in a scarf hold position and work from there...that's about it. Need to get better dealing with people in my guard as I'm too reliant on half-guard.
Sparred for maybe 7 rounds 4min rounds. Pretty tired. Need to spend a lot more time on the mat but I was sick last week so that probably explains something: plus I'm comparing myself to purple and blue belt guys whom make up the majority of who I role with.

WinterPalm
08-19-2009, 04:10 PM
18 August 2009
San Da

Warmed up with skipping and calesthetics...nothing too serious.

Went into drilling some counter attacks and ways to punish stand still type of guys.
Did a random kick drill ala NYSanDa.

Then 3 4min rounds on the pads. Felt pretty good today...lots of movement and constantly countering when the pad man throws anything my way.
Then did 2min alternating for ten min of thai clinch spar and kneeing the heavybag....will be definitely be doing more or this.
Ended with 5min of abs.

WinterPalm
08-19-2009, 04:12 PM
19 August 2009
BJJ
Played a good game of soccer for the warmup. Then worked endless reps of armbars, triangles, and omoplatas from guard. Then a flow drill using all three.
Then sparring.
Caught a judo guy in an arm triangle.
Managed to pass the guard of a very strong blue belt...my guard passing is getting better! Despite him tapping me many a time, this made my day.
Got a compliment from the purple teaching the class that my pressure from the top was very good and it seemed I weighed a lot more.
Good practice.

Pork Chop
08-20-2009, 01:51 PM
awesome news about tiger balm international. :)

gotta love the Thai-Clinch-Sparring Next-Day-Whiplash®

WinterPalm
08-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks Pork Chop!

Training is going well. Just worked 90 hours in 7 days roofing three stories up in extreme Canadian summer heat.
Still managing to take breaks to go to the gym so not all is lost.
Will return to updating manana.

WinterPalm
10-28-2009, 10:05 AM
27 Oct 2009

Worked out solo today: After each round did either 20situps, pushups, squat jumps or 10 bodyweight rows. Did that 3 times

Skipping 2X3min
Shadowboxing 2X3min
Stretch.

Bagwork 3min rounds
Combo#1: Jab, right round kick, left leg check, right thrust kick
Combo#2: Jab-Cross, Left round kick, right leg check, teep
Side and Spin kick
Double end bag

4min rounds 30/30 sec intervals of each
Box/kick
Punchout/push kicks
Double end/Skip knees
Kickboxing

Finisher:
16pd sledge into tire/1-2sprawl
16pd sledge into tire/hop into tire, out of tire, sprawl

The finisher was brutal.
Good workout. Just getting back into it. Was supposed to fight Nov6 in Calgary but nothing materialized. Then, after I took a break from training they said they had a guy who was 4-1...I was out of shape and declined...plus I'm thinking I want to debut maybe not against someone with that much experience. But right now I'm training to hopefully fight on their next show and if I have to fight this guy, then so be it.

David Jamieson
10-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Yes congrats on your win Dave!

Where in the peg is the san shou gym?
Who runs it?

I'm out of touch with my inner peg these days. lol

WinterPalm
10-29-2009, 05:29 PM
28 Oct 2009
San Da
Warmed up with jogging and pummeling, then some footwork stuff.
Right into pads. Alternate for four rounds of pads and then heavybag.
Then worked a series of counters and takedown throws.
Ended up jumping into the muay Thai class for four rounds of sparring. Got a chance to work some stuff on some new faces. The sidekick they do not see coming...:D

DJ,
Thanks.
I train out of the Northern Combat Fitness Academy.
I run the San Da program for them.

WinterPalm
10-30-2009, 08:56 AM
29 Oct 2009
Snuck in a little workout at about 9PM

1 Rd skipping
2 Rds shadow boxing
1Rd 1-2 combo on bag
1Rd boxing on bag
1Rd kicking on bag
2Rds kickboxing on bag

Finisher
10 16pd sledge swings per side, 5 Maxercists (Basically a Hindu pushup with a pullup at the end)
Did this 3 times and ended with 20 swings per side.
Stretched for half an hour.

WinterPalm
10-30-2009, 09:23 PM
30 Oct 2009
Sparring

Did one round of no-gi with a guy for about 25min. Got a RNC...then got triangle/armbarred.

Then did 3x4min rounds of San Da sparring with a guy I've been coaching. He's getting better and should be good to compete come March at the Tiger Balms.

Did another 2 rounds with different BJJ guys...both about 20-25min long.

Then did 4 rounds of 4min doing just takedowns with the guy I did the San Da sparring with.

Good night. Didn't get any boxing in but the grappling which I haven't done a lot of this week was nice.

WinterPalm
11-10-2009, 10:24 AM
9 November 2009
BJJ
Trained with a recent Behring Blue belt (if I'd showed up last week to the grading I would have gotten this...or so say the coach and everyone I train with...missed opportunities)
We worked on a lot of basic stuff, all gi work. The rolled for about 45 min or so. Being in the gi is different after so much time away but I'm liking it. Makes me have to work harder in some ways.

San Da
Warmed up with jogging and footwork drills. Hitting power from different stepping patterns: mostly back and forth drills.

Did a series of defense and counter drills involving the jab, the teep, and then 1-2 and 1-2-3.
Pad work. Worked knees a bit more and takedowns/TD defense.
Ended with some wrestling drills and free wrestling.

WinterPalm
11-11-2009, 10:06 AM
10 Nov 2009
Kickboxing workout (Solo)
All 4min rounds
2 Rounds Skipping
2 Rounds Shadowboxing
Stretch/joint mobility

Bag rounds
Combo#1 (jab, r roundkick, left leg check, right push kick)
Combo#2 (Opposite)
Side and Spin kick
Boxing
Kickboxing

30Sec Intervals:
1-2 Punchouts/Pwr punching
Push kicks/skip knees
Final round of kickboxing

Stretch
After each round is either situps, pushups, or squat jumps...20 of which ever.

BJJ
Worked an assortment of drills from the bottom, arm bars, triangles, flying armbars, and one guard pass. Good stuff. Still getting used to being in the gi.

Rolled afterwards with another new blue belt. He's 145 but incredibly explosive and strong. Makes me work fast...which is good as I feel like maybe I plod along sometimes.
Rolled with the purple belt I usually train with...good roll, he got the triangle at the end.

First couple days have felt good. Just trying to get back into a decent form of pre-fight shape...hopefully fighting Jan 30th 2010 so if that comes about I'll take it up a notch in Dec.

WinterPalm
11-12-2009, 10:00 PM
11 Nov 2009

Rolled at noon for an hour with a purple belt. Learned a whack of new stuff.

San Da
Warmed up jogging and footwork stuff.
We did 3 rounds each of pads, holding pads, and hitting the bag.

Then worked a takedown off the leg kick catch and some assorted setups. Then worked on throwing from a deep underhook...a very technical class but good work was put in by all.

WinterPalm
11-12-2009, 10:03 PM
12 Nov 2009

Noon workout: heavybag.

Stressed for time today. Put in the following:
2 Rounds skipping
2 Rounds shadowboxing

Heavybag rounds:
1 Jab to left hook or liver/ Cross-hook
1 Jab, right kick, hook-cross
1 Double end bag
1 Jab-cross, left kick, cross-hook
1 Side/spin kick

Stretch.

BJJ
Worked taking the back from half guard then several mount and side control escapes based on a few simple techniques.
Sparred afterwards...triangles got me. Worked even more defensive techniques for this.
Had to tap from a scarf hold pin a huge wrestler got on me...it was agony and the first time this has ever happened to me...oh well.

WinterPalm
11-14-2009, 10:59 AM
13 November 2009

Sparring
Rolled for 7min with a purple belt...mostly position and scrambling stuff. Almost got go-goplata'd.

Then did
1 Rd boxing
2 Rds MMA sparring
2 Rds San Da sparring

Short but sweet...felt good...really been working the side kick and punching in the clinch to set up takedowns...just need to tweak the ground and pound a bit more.

WinterPalm
11-17-2009, 09:54 AM
16 November 2009

Jits at noon didn't happen...sadly.

San Da
Did 4 rounds of pads...striking drills, countering the incoming clinch with strikes.
Worked kick defense with either counter kicking or takedowns.
Did a single leg drill...partner grabs a leg and tries to take you down however, over and over again.
Did a stand in the corner and block punches drill...then the same idea but slip punches.

WinterPalm
11-26-2009, 01:19 PM
26 Nov 2009
Workout...been sick lately...very little training.
Put in the following all 3min rounds as my lungs are still a little rough.

2X Skip
2X Shadowbox
Combo#1
Combo#2
Straight punches
Side/Spin
Hooks
Boxing
Double end bag.

Usual pushups/situps/jumps between rounds.

WinterPalm
11-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Whatever the date is today.
Weight: 182.2 I figure I'll try to stay around this weight and cut to 170 via water and sweating methods. Probably fighting Jan30th...two months to prepare.

Did 20 min of Yoga today. Generally a day off. Probably go for a walk later.