PDA

View Full Version : the ρεţŭŕė of the ώāγ.

uki
09-15-2008, 04:51 PM
so as to not disrupt other folks threads, let's have a coagulation of what everyones understanding of the way of nature manifests into, here on this thread...

irontiger1981
09-15-2008, 08:31 PM
so as to not disrupt other folks threads, let's have a coagulation of what everyones understanding of the way of nature manifests into, here on this thread...
the way of nature to me is the tao. in my opinion anyways it would be nothing to excess, to go with the natural flow of life.to learn the ways of qi and the polarities of yin-yang.

Mr Punch
09-15-2008, 08:41 PM
Discussion on the nature of the way and the ways of nature are unneccesary, as is understanding it, if you live it.

SPJ
09-15-2008, 09:14 PM
there are 2 ways of nature working for me.

with hustle and bustle of our mundane lives.

we are always preoccupied with lingering thoughts/worries/frustrations--

1. think big,

I like to go to the ocean or gaze into the sky at nite and count the stars till lost count.

whatever bothers me becomes very small and tiny, as we are small among millions of stars.

2. not to think about it

I had worries, doubts and questions, I did not have answers.

so I went to talk to a buddhist monk, and see if I had connection with the buddha. after a while.

The monk just hung a sign saying gone for fishing at his door.

--

Then I realized that he would rather go fishing than worry about my "questions".

so I picked up a fishing pole and went fishing, too.

--

;)

SPJ
09-15-2008, 09:16 PM
1. Think big.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEa8gcisaPU

imagine, no countries, no disputes, no wars.

no religions, no believers and non believers.

no possesions, no greed--

we are all living in ONE world.

--

2. gone fishing.

worries worries us, if we let them.

--

:)

SPJ
09-15-2008, 09:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY0PCvzr4-c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNJufoQ5f2U&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eagcXtT2ZG4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYKJuDxYr3I&feature=related

yes, we do not need to cross river.

we do not need to build the bridge.

--

:D;):)

SPJ
09-15-2008, 09:40 PM
in a nutshell;

since everything is impermanent.

we do not need to insist on things to be in a certain way.

that is the nature of the way

or the way of nature.

--

a buddhist view.

:cool:

GunnedDownAtrocity
09-15-2008, 10:14 PM
some people like chicken. me . . . i like to drown babies.

KC Elbows
09-15-2008, 10:20 PM
some people like chicken. me . . . i like to drown babies.

I'm not sure that is what is meant when they say to "be like water"!

uki
09-16-2008, 03:28 AM
the way of nature to me is the tao. just remember that the tao that can be called the way, is not the way.
in my opinion anyways it would be nothing to excess, to go with the natural flow of life.[/quote]to experience all the shame and glory of life...

to learn the ways of qi and the polarities of yin-yang.it's faster to remember rather than, to learn.

Discussion on the nature of the way and the ways of nature are unneccesary, as is understanding it, if you live it.some folks do not yet have clear vision... of course glasses are no use to people with good vision.

Xiao3 Meng4
09-16-2008, 05:15 AM
The funniest Daoist joke I know, told to me by my Qigong teacher. :D

Once upon a time, there was a valley. At the Northern end of this valley, there was a river which entered. At the Southern end lay a small village.

Two monks lived in this valley. One was Buddhist, and lived on the East side. The other was Daoist, and lived on the West side. The monks were hermits, and kept mostly to themselves, although every once in a while they would go and visit each other to make sure everything was ok.

One day, the Daoist monk wandered over to the Buddhist's hut. The Buddhist greeted him warmly, and offered him a cup of tea. The two monks were sitting, drinking their tea, when the Daoist suddenly said, "You know, today is the annual flower festival down in the village."

"Oh yes, I remember that festival from when I was a young boy," replied the Buddhist. "It's a wonderful event, full of smells and colours, and the villagers play music, too."

"Well then, why don't we go down to the festival?" Suggested the Daoist.

"Alright," said the Buddhist, "but let's meditate in order to transport ourselves there."
The Daoist laughed, and agreed. The monks began to meditate. The Buddhist sat in his favourite meditation posture and meditated intensely. The Daoist meditated in his own way, too, and in short order, the monks had transported themselves to the village's flower festival.

"My, what wonderful flowers!" Exclaimed the Daoist.

"Yes," the Buddhist noted serenely. "I have an idea. Why don't we go and choose the flowers which best reflect our respective doctrines? We'll meet back here in an hour." The two monks parted ways, and met up again an hour later.

"Well, that was fun!" Said the Daoist. "Did you find the flower you wanted?"

"Yes," said the Buddhist. "I chose the Lotus. It starts off as a Tuber deep in the reeking mud. Eventually, in the right conditions, a stalk emerges through the mud and into the murky waters above. Slowly, continuously, it reaches up and up, entering progressively clearer and clearer waters, until it arrives to the nearly crystal-clear waters near the top. At last, it breaks through the water into emptiness, where a brilliant blossom forms. This flower most reflects my doctrine."

"Wonderful!" The Daoist exclaimed, clapping his hands.

"What flower did you choose?" Asked the Buddhist.

"Well, I chose a Chrysanthemum," said the Daoist, "because it grows everywhere, and is accessible to everyone. It has many individual petals, and each petal can be said to represent a different path, yet all of the petals are edible, somewhat sweet, and have benefits to health and longevity."

"A well-suited choice," murmured the Buddhist approvingly.

"It's getting dark," the Daoist said. "We'd better transport ourselves back to your hut."

"Agreed," said the Buddhist.

At journey's end, the Buddhist slowly roused himself from his meditative state, and opened his eyes. Before him, he saw the Daoist, seated calmly, smiling... and in his lap was a chrysanthemum. ;)

Egg fu young
09-16-2008, 06:41 AM
What did the Buddhist say to the hot dog vendor? Make me one with everything.

Ray Pina
09-16-2008, 06:55 AM
Everything is the way of nature. If it happened, or was even thought of, it existed in the Tao.

Xiao3 Meng4
09-16-2008, 07:07 AM
What did the Buddhist say to the hot dog vendor? Make me one with everything.

Why didn't the vendor give the Buddhist his change?

Well, change comes from within, of course.

Ray Pina
09-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Xiao3 Menga4

I read your Daoist/Buddhist joke with interest but three-quarters through until the end it just invoked the things I find least attractive about CMA and its spiritual counterparts:

It passes off a ridiculous pretense, that two men in a hut will transport themselves physically via their minds, as fact. Unfortunately there are too many dimwits in this world who miss the point, and before you know it internalists swear its possible, just not obtainable by mere mortals with logic.

The mind is great and can create many a situation within our own bodies and externally, but this is still a world of matter and anti-matter. And very much on topic with CMA, if you want to get somewhere you have to get off your a$$.

Xiao3 Meng4
09-16-2008, 09:29 AM
Xiao3 Menga4
It passes off a ridiculous pretense, that two men in a hut will transport themselves physically via their minds, as fact.

...and herein lies the joke. :D

ask yourself, how is it that the daoist had the flower in his lap?

...apologies to the buddhists out there, as this one IS at their expense.

Ray Pina
09-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Now you've peaked my interest again. Do tell.

GunnedDownAtrocity
09-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Now you've peaked my interest again. Do tell.

the taoist got up and went for a walk.

Xiao3 Meng4
09-16-2008, 02:56 PM
GDA gets the prize. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IwjfXw2ZwQ

Lucas
09-16-2008, 03:00 PM
the taoist got up and went for a walk.

he went and enjoyed the life and actually smelled the roses so to speak. the buddhist just meditated on it.

not very nice to the buddhists :p

Scott R. Brown
09-16-2008, 03:35 PM
Well if he had been a student of Zen, he would have taken the walk with the Taoist!:)

Xiao3 Meng4
09-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Well if he had been a student of Zen, he would have taken the walk with the Taoist!:)

..true that. :)

iron_leg_dave
09-16-2008, 03:55 PM

I looked outside but I didn't see anything. A fly rests on the earth, I can't help but notice how the earth is resting on that fly.

Scott R. Brown
09-16-2008, 04:08 PM
I looked outside but I didn't see anything. A fly rests on the earth, I can't help but notice how the earth is resting on that fly.

Maybe the fly is meeting the earth halfway!;):)

cjurakpt
09-16-2008, 04:39 PM

if he were a student of Ch'an (Zen), he wouldn't have been home when the Daoist came to visit...:D

Scott R. Brown
09-16-2008, 05:19 PM
if he were a student of Ch'an (Zen), he wouldn't have been home when the Daoist came to visit...:D

LOL! Good one.....now go back to sleep......sleeeeep......sleeeeeeeep!!!:p

uki
09-17-2008, 07:25 AM
I looked outside but I didn't see anything.you obviously saw the earth resting on the fly.

A fly rests on the earth, I can't help but notice how the earth is resting on that fly.but you just said...

Everything is the way of nature. If it happened, or was even thought of, it existed in the Tao.the fun lies in understanding the interplay... one can look at a mushroom and and know that it is a mushroom, but one cannot appreciate the mushroom without studying it and understanding it's fine details.

yes, we do not need to cross river.you know... according to the merriam-websters collegiate dictionary 11th edition, the word need-2nd definition, means to be in want. so by not crossing the river it seems as though one does not want to cross the river.

we do not need to build the bridge.but one might want to build a bridge...

if he were a student of Ch'an (Zen), he wouldn't have been home when the Daoist came to visit...if they both were students of botany, they would have gardens filled with all flowers... :)

TaiChiBob
09-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Greetings..

Well if he had been a student of Zen...
The Taoist would have 'whacked' him once.. just for good measure.. and for thinking such nonsense as "transporting" himself to the festival..

Be well..

Ray Pina
09-19-2008, 10:22 AM
And neither of these guys smoked some weed and went down to the party and got some a$$?

GunnedDownAtrocity
09-19-2008, 02:20 PM
they must abstain from ass. its one of their five pillars or something.

Scott R. Brown
09-20-2008, 07:46 AM
Greetings..

The Taoist would have 'whacked' him once.. just for good measure.. and for thinking such nonsense as "transporting" himself to the festival..

Be well..

Actually, that is more inline with what a Ch'an Master would do. While it is a humorous joke, Taoism has a very rich history of flying masters with the power of Chi Blasts, superhuman abilities, and psychic powers, etc. Not that Buddhism does not have these, but Ch'an Master's, at the very least, criticized these practices while certain branches of Taoism actually cultivate these powers as part of their spiritual method!

Xiao3 Meng4
09-20-2008, 07:59 AM
...Taoism has a very rich history of flying masters with the power of Chi Blasts, superhuman abilities, and psychic powers, etc.
...certain branches of Taoism actually cultivate these powers as part of their spiritual method!

Those branches are eating something other than chrysanthemum petals. :D

Scott R. Brown
09-20-2008, 09:21 AM
Those branches are eating something other than chrysanthemum petals. :D

I try to keep a non-committal view. While the stories are far fetched, you never know when, what was once thought to be wild fantasy, will be discovered to be a natural phenomenon.

However, it is one of those, I will believe when I see it...

...and it has been thoroughly investigated by Penn Gillete!;)

Xiao3 Meng4
09-20-2008, 09:50 AM
In the circles I've trained with, we accept lightness/flying skills as real... however it's so often been romanticized and mythologized that a single observed instance over a thousand years ago has become legendary (and very distorted, to boot.)

"Real lightness and flying skills? Wtf?," You say.

Hold your horses... imagine being a 5th century urbanite (yes, urbanites have a very old history, much older than even the 5th century) and observing someone doing this kind of stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gymk2N62SLc

What do you think an uneducated urban dweller's explanation would be? ;)

GunnedDownAtrocity
09-20-2008, 11:06 AM
i was hoping that was going to be a parkour vid.

Scott R. Brown
09-20-2008, 11:13 AM
In the circles I've trained with, we accept lightness/flying skills as real... however it's so often been romanticized and mythologized that a single observed instance over a thousand years ago has become legendary (and very distorted, to boot.)

"Real lightness and flying skills? Wtf?," You say.

Hold your horses... imagine being a 5th century urbanite (yes, urbanites have a very old history, much older than even the 5th century) and observing someone doing this kind of stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gymk2N62SLc

What do you think an uneducated urban dweller's explanation would be? ;)

I love that movie! :)

And I agree with you, also consider those are actions that were observed perhaps only once or twice in a life time. Think of an illusionist or a slight of hand artist, they don't show the same trick over and over again to the same audience because eventually it loses its mystery, and after all, it is the mystery that makes it fun!

Then the stories of the fantastic action becomes more and more exaggerated over time. After all what good is a story if it isn't exciting!