PDA

View Full Version : OT: RIP Richard Wright

The Willow Sword
09-16-2008, 05:33 AM
http://www.legacy.com/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=117506560

First Syd, and now Richard. This was and still is my favorite band of all time.

Let's hope a reunion of the others will happen. Id like to see the others perform again before they decide to check off the planet.

Peace,TWS

SimonM
09-16-2008, 06:05 AM
Oh god, that's really too bad.

Also it makes a reunion increasingly unlikely. Wright and Gilmour were pretty tight and he even collaborated (quietly) on some of Gilmour's solo albums. Gilmour has already expressed an intention to concentrate on his solo career anyway and so with the death of Wright....

The Wright / Gilmour vs. Waters split may be water under the bridge but that doesn't mean that Pink Floyd will play together again. :(

Oso
09-16-2008, 05:29 PM
yea, saw this and meant to post it the other day but ran out of pre-work time.

RIP

Barrett was kookoo for coco puffs and Waters was apparently a prima donna *****...Gilmour and Wright always seemed to be the core of the group, imho.

SimonM
09-17-2008, 06:18 AM
My one issue with early Floyd is that I thought Gilmour was a more intelligent lyricist (and had a better voice) than Waters. "A Momentary Lapse of Reason", the first album Waters didn't perform on and one that Wright's influence was greatest on was the best Floyd album.

rogue
09-17-2008, 05:23 PM
One of the greats who knew when not to play.

RIP

Oso
09-17-2008, 08:34 PM
i dunno, simonm, i basically agree with your sentiment but i don't think 'Momentary...' was the best...while the popular favorite, 'Darkside...' is probably my #2 following...well, 'Relics/Meddle'... I say that because:

True Story: In the spring of 1989 my girlfriend at the time and I drove to the Grand Canyon from NC. We had 9 days to make it there and back. We took 5 days to get there due to a late spring snowstorm in eastern Olklahoma that caused our trip from Little Rock to OK City to be 9 hours long. So, we got to the GC, spent two days and headed back, driving the entire way from GC, AZ to Greensboro, NC in 40 hours so that I could be back at work that next morning on time. At some point that first night driving back, she took over driving in Amarillo, TX. I went to the passenger location (not SEAT) in my 1988 Toyota pickemup, single cab, 2wd, short bed...yea, pretty effing tight. In the cassette player was a tape with Relics on one side and Meddle on the other. Throughout the night, from Amarillo to Little Rock, she drove...without ever changing the tape because she couldn't reach the tape box, while I 'slept'...shifting in and out of consciousness througout the night while that tape played over and over...

heh, for that trip and no other reason, of which there were many, i should have married that gal...but, i'm stupid like that.

SimonM
09-18-2008, 06:32 AM
That's a good story.

Oso
09-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Thanks. :)

'i've got a bike, it's a very fine bike, with bells and whistles and things to make it look good'