PDA

View Full Version : spinning ring-iron bar.

uki
09-17-2008, 09:07 AM
this concept of training involves an iron bar and an iron ring. mine at the moment are a 21 lb iron bar and a one pound ring. the idea is simple... the practice is harder. start by holding the iron bar horizontally, thru the ring, in any placement position of the hands you wish. center the ring on the bar and begin spinning it either away from you or towards you. you can now do this in any stance or static-standing position, in zazen, lying on your back, above your head, behind your back... you can do squats to standing back bends all the while you keep the ring spinning on the bar... the vibrational effects will create a greater bone density as it will subtly vibrate the whole skeletal body, all the organs, and re-create an new inner harmony... other underlying concepts to apply and ponder is the beautiful and complimenting nature of the straight and the circular. here's a picture to give you a rough idea. http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff350/mossjuice/IMG_0733.jpg

trust me, it looks easier than it is... yet you cannot beat the price of a 6 dollar piece of scrap metal and a metal ring. :D

Lucas
09-17-2008, 11:27 AM
this could be added to the 10,001 things thread too

Lucas
09-17-2008, 11:28 AM
nvm saw you already did lol

uki
09-17-2008, 04:43 PM
this could be added to the 10,001 things thread tooi put it here because of the special emphasis i place on practicing these exercises. i've been doing the spinning iron bar for over two years on top of other training methods, including the iron ball juggling. i've noticed that i tend to be attracted to my destroying element... i didn't even get into strictly bar or ring exercises.:)

uki
09-18-2008, 01:56 PM
here's another picture of spinning the iron ring on the iron bar... obviously one should alternate the legs.:p

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff350/mossjuice/IMG_0740.jpg

mickey
09-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Hi uki,

Your idea is not too farfetched:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f2pTHFyT4A

mickey

uki
09-25-2008, 04:01 AM
Hi uki, Your idea is not too farfetched:something tells me that my concept is far cheaper and much more fun... it doesn't need batteries, no flashy little lights, just raw iron, sweat, and burn. everybody trying to make a buck... makes me sick. :)

cjurakpt
09-25-2008, 04:36 PM
here's another picture of spinning the iron ring on the iron bar... obviously one should alternate the legs.:p

walking the walk, you are...

uki
09-25-2008, 07:24 PM
walking the walk, you are...and not just talking the talk...

IronFist
09-29-2008, 09:28 AM
What does this develop? How does it add to your fighting ability? How does it add to your overall fitness/strength? How is time spent doing this exercise being used more efficiently than time spent deadlifting, bench pressing, doing pullups, or doing bagwork or sparring?

uki
09-29-2008, 04:17 PM
What does this develop?primarily the entire upper body and neck, though the arms get the best of the burn.

How does it add to your fighting ability?it changes the density of your skeletal structure do to the vibrations of the ring spinning on the bar, it increases muscle, tendon, and ligament strength.

How does it add to your overall fitness/strength?considering the ring is spinning perpendicular to the plane of the charkas spin, i'd be willing to believe that it strengthens your energy systems which of course strengthen all the other systems of the body.

How is time spent doing this exercise being used more efficiently than time spent deadlifting, bench pressing, doing pullups, or doing bagwork or sparring?once you learn to ride a bike... there is no point in learning to do it again is there? i like to juggle my training and practice programs... the more things you have to practice, the more well rounded you'll become.

in all honesty you have to just do it to verify what i say... words will never explain the feeling and the conditioning it does, only by doing it... knock it all you want, but i am the one who is practicing it, not you.

naja
09-29-2008, 06:18 PM

Man, I need to get back into my one-legged squats. Seeing that pic of you doing one while holding the bar-ring-thing AND balancing that flower pot on your foot inspires me!! :D

cjurakpt
09-29-2008, 06:34 PM
What does this develop? How does it add to your fighting ability? How does it add to your overall fitness/strength? How is time spent doing this exercise being used more efficiently than time spent deadlifting, bench pressing, doing pullups, or doing bagwork or sparring?

it's a great example of dynamic core stability training - the ability to maintain postural integrity while being displaced by an externally generated force; this man will most certainly not be fracturing a hip when he reaches his dotage...

there is also some research that supports the whole vibrational aspect increasing bone density, although not exactly as such;

in regards to fighting, it can train certain attributes relevant to that, although it of course doesn't replace live pressure-testing

as far as being more "efficient" than the other things you cite, that would require a context to establish the parameters of what constitutes efficiency, in terms of specific desired outcomes;

ok, so admittedly uki's a bit of a wing-nut in some regards, but there's no denying the man is innovative and dedicated in his training, and a lot of what he has come up with decidedly employs concepts germane to a good deal of functional rehabilitation exercise - whether it makes him a better fighter, I can't say, but the principles underlying what he does in terms of fitness and health are sound, IMPE

---

I also received a very interesting bit of hand-wrought wood-work in the mail today, and all I can say is that my 4 y/o son is delighted w/his new hobby-horse...<presses palms together in thanks>

uki
09-29-2008, 07:05 PM
Man, I need to get back into my one-legged squats. Seeing that pic of you doing one while holding the bar-ring-thing AND balancing that flower pot on your foot inspires me!!i still haven't figured out if it was mere coincidence or if my girlfriend intentionally lined my foot up with the avacado pot.

sanjuro_ronin
09-30-2008, 05:06 AM
Interesting exercise.
I have always loved the unconventional stuff, if for nothing else to add variety.
I don't do it as much anymore with my time restrictions I have to make the most of the limited time I have so...
Still, it brings back memories of when I used to horse stance on bricks while rolling an iron bar up and down my forearms whit them held straight in the typical Hung kuen fashion ;)
AH the fond memories...

uki
10-02-2008, 05:50 PM
I have always loved the unconventional stuff, if for nothing else to add variety.you are what you train...

uki
10-18-2008, 07:00 PM
there is also some research that supports the whole vibrational aspect increasing bone density, although not exactly as such.the thought of tai chi water(singing) bowls comes to mind... just thought i'd burp that up to you.:)

i first made it sing and then i made it dance... in one night mind you!!:D

uki
02-25-2009, 05:56 PM
*bump*

so has anyone else started to do this yet?

Oso
02-25-2009, 07:07 PM
yea, but i had the ring spinning so fast i kept breaking the iron rod... :cool: