PDA

View Full Version : Traditional weapons questions

Hebrew Hammer
09-17-2008, 11:00 AM
In my brief stint in Choy Lee Fut, I asked one my instructors about the small rings attached to top side of chinese sword...he stated that they were used to entangle an opponents weapon. But how? The rings are pretty small and it would be hard to imagine what might get caught in there...can someone shed some light on that for me?

My second question is in regards to chinese archery and TCM...are there any styles that incorporate bow and arrow training? If not why? Is it a cost issue or where there restrictions imposed on the the people that only allowed for archery to be praticed by the military? It seems that some of the Korean and Japanese arts include archery as part of their curriculum.

SimonM
09-17-2008, 11:03 AM
Do you mean the rings on the 9 Ring broadsword? AFAIK those were decorative.

Lucas
09-17-2008, 11:14 AM
I always thought the rings were also there for the added weight. easier to chop through leather/bamboo armor and bone.

however if you were to lock blades withsomeone, and were to have rings, I could see how the blade would be stopped from reaching your guard. keep in mind you would have to reverse your blade though, which I dont think I would want to do.

uki
09-17-2008, 11:17 AM
AFAIK those were decorative.don't you research anything?

Hebrew Hammer
09-17-2008, 11:51 AM
Do you mean the rings on the 9 Ring broadsword? AFAIK those were decorative.

Yes...decorative? You mean like a nose ring? :confused: Are you sure about that?

SimonM
09-17-2008, 11:54 AM
I've heard the weapon entangling theory. It doesn't hold water.
As for the added weight argument... it's slightly less unlikely but it's a bit impractical.

Now the 9 ring was originally an executioner's weapon. As such it's use was frequently ceremonial. Ceremonial weapons frequent gain adornments that are largely there just because.

Hebrew Hammer
09-17-2008, 11:54 AM
I always thought the rings were also there for the added weight. easier to chop through leather/bamboo armor and bone.

If thats true, why not just use a heavier or thicker blade? The rings rattle, make noise, you would think that they aren't the most stealthy of items to bring into battle. Or is that their appeal/function...cause fear or to help locate someone in battle?

xcakid
09-17-2008, 12:09 PM
1) added weight as already mention, to help chop through light armor and bone.
2) to blunt the other guys sword, not to tangle it with. In many forms there is a move where you encirle the sword (with the point pointing downward) around your body and then slash. The encircling is blocking with the blunt end of the sword, coming around and then slashing to the neck or ribs or any limbs that get in the way.

That's at least the application I learned in both my former Eagle Claw school and the current Long Fist school that I am now. 2 different northern schools yet same application and concept, there must be something to it.

TenTigers
09-17-2008, 12:40 PM
ok, just how blunt do you need to make a sword before it won't harm you? Anyone who has ever handled a blade, be it a broadsword or a kitchen knife knows that a dull knife will cut you.
As far as entangling a weapon in the rings? Great. Now You're stuck as well.
And how exactly will a weapon get tangled? Even if it was the hairs on a spear, you would have to wrap and wind it many times to entangle it-unless the tip of the spear got caught right inside one of those little rings...remember-this is all going on in the heat of battle.
you see how silly this sounds?

Ok, here's what I heard, tell me if it sounds at least a bit probable:
There were large cadres of soldiers, such as the Big Sword Group. and they carried..um, big swords. So as these batttalions approached, their rings would make all this clamour, just as the American helicopters playing Vagner's Flight of the Valkyries in Apocalypse Now, as they launched their attack. It had a psychological effect on the enemy.

Now, the earrings on the Monk's Spade, the pom-poms on the Kuan-dao?
I think that was just good fashion sense. You need to accessorize!

SanHeChuan
09-17-2008, 12:45 PM
One thousand soldiers with one thousand nine ring broadswords sound like Ten thousand soldiers. When dealing with formations of troops stealth is not an issue. Better then to be feared. It was common practice for armies to make alot of noise, marching in step, banging of shields, drums and horns, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h5wHsWkFts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PG0RnlvzmY

TenTigers
09-17-2008, 12:50 PM
let me add to this-there are many people who say that the horse hair on the end of the spear was there to soak up the blood, so that it doesn't run down the shaft and get sticky.
I don't buy into this theory for two reasons:
1) a spear is a razor sharp double edged blade, on the end of a long pole. All you need is a flick to sever tendons and arteries. Not enough to get gobs of blood dripping down the shaft. As far as thrusting goes-you thrust quickly, in and out. Again, blood doesn't pool immediately, and there is not enough blood left on the spear to warrant this. Besides, using a snapping movement like chiburi in Iaido, would remedy this, and there are plenty of snapping movements in the spear.

2) A spear is played with constant quick circling, and darting in and out. The hairs serve as a distraction. Your eyes will track the hairs, and lose sight of the blade-which when coming at you is hard to see anyway. So you cannot judge the distance, or tracking of the blade. Try it. Face a partner who has decent spear play, and see if you can follow the blade's movenet as he approaches yo with all the in and out, circling, and darting movements.
Form follows function.

SimonM
09-17-2008, 12:50 PM
San He Chuan: Sunzi would have disagreed with that assertation. Moving troops secretly is one of the best ways to win a war.

Lucas
09-17-2008, 12:59 PM
there is a time and place for everything of course though.

while secrecy is definately a boon while maneuvering, once engagement has taken place, its not a bad idea to seem more than you are.

such as lighting 3 times as many camp fires at night, so as to appear a larger force.

TenTigers;

Im with you on that one. Besides if there was so much blood that it needed to be soaked up by the hair, eventually the hair would be come sodden with blood and it would no longer serve its intended purpose.

TenTigers
09-17-2008, 01:06 PM
I guess then you then can use it to fling blood in their faces!!:D

(I almost wrote feces rather than faces. That would require an entirely different technique):eek:

Lucas
09-17-2008, 01:08 PM
I guess then you then can use it to fling blood in their faces!!:D

(I almost wrote feces rather than faces. That would require an entirely different technique):eek:

ROFL

"and this move we call, 'the tiger flings blood into the feces', now you try"

SimonM
09-17-2008, 01:21 PM
I'd be more concerned with flinging feces into blood.

Lucas
09-17-2008, 01:22 PM
I'd be more concerned with flinging feces into blood.

:eek:

"and this we call 'infect with hepatitis', now you try"

David Jamieson
09-17-2008, 03:05 PM
moving troops secretly is strategy, inciting fear with them is tactics. :)

the rings are noise makers. they make noise for all sorts of reasons. You can also tie decorative flags to them, which in turn helps identify you on a battle field etc etc.

also, it may have to do with the buddhist ideal that they are used in a spiritual sense.

SanHeChuan
09-17-2008, 03:19 PM
San He Chuan: Sunzi would have disagreed with that assertation. Moving troops secretly is one of the best ways to win a war.

secretly and stealth are not always the same thing.

You cannot conceal the movement of a large body of troops, as long as there is someone to observe them. Thousands of armored troops, horses, supply wagons, camps, etc. If the enemy is not close it doesn't matter how loud they are, they will not be heard. The trick is to use the stealthy guys to take out the enemies forward observes so the enemy does not know of your passing.

Or better yet, as Sunzi would say, go where they are not looking.

GeneChing
09-17-2008, 03:25 PM
...I can't find that thread right now. I'm still looking.

As for archery, there's this thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37406). We also ran The Missing Link: Archery in China By Tim Louie in our 2007 March/April issue (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=693).

Hebrew Hammer
09-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks Gene, that is a very interesting and informative thread.

GeneChing
12-28-2020, 10:38 AM
I hope he's right. But speaking as a martial arts weapons vendor for 35+ years, I'm skeptical. It reminds me of one of those pitches you sell to the PRC market when they have no sense of the global market.

Traditional Martial Arts Weapons Market is Projected to Grow Massively in Near Future with Profiling Eminent Players- WESING, DA YE HENG TONG, JIANG SHI SWORD (https://www.mccourier.com/traditional-martial-arts-weapons-market-is-projected-to-grow-massively-in-near-future-with-profiling-eminent-players-wesing-da-ye-heng-tong-jiang-shi-sword/)
husain December 28, 2020 4
Traditional

Traditional Martial Arts Weapons Market Research Report 2021-2026

Understand the influence of COVID-19 on the Traditional Martial Arts Weapons Market with our analysts monitoring the situation across the globe.

A new report titled, “Global Traditional Martial Arts Weapons Market Professional Report 2021-2026” has been added by Garner Insights in its database of research reports. The report begins with the market summary, product specification, market size and share, value and volume, market segmentation, SWOT (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats), and key players. In addition, the report performs both primary and exhaustive secondary research to analyze the market thoroughly.

The report calculates the size of the Global Traditional Martial Arts Weapons Market using a bottom-up approach, where data from various end-user industries and its applications across product types were recorded. This data was sourced from the industry experts and company representatives and externally validated through studying historical data of these product types and applications for getting an appropriate size of the Global Traditional Martial Arts Weapons Market.

By Key Players:WESING, DA YE HENG TONG, JIANG SHI SWORD, LONG QUAN SWORD, HBYXTYBD, TaiShan, SHENGUANGLONGJIANPU, HENAN TANGXI SWORD, ZHENG SHI SWORD

Request Sample Report of Global Traditional Martial Arts Weapons Market @ Global-Traditional-Martial-Arts-Weapons-Market-Trends-By-Regional-Analysis-America-Europe-Asia-Pacific-and-Middle-East–Africa-Growth-Opportunity-and-Industry-Forecast-2020-2027

The report is segmented as follows:

By Product Type:

Section (5 6 7): Product Type Segmentation
Martial Arts Knife
Martial Arts Sword

By Application:

Industry Segmentation
Collection
Training

After determining the overall size of the market, the report splits the market into different segments and sub-segments which have been validated and verified through primary research by carrying out several interviews with individuals holding key positions in the industry, including executives, directors, CEOs, and VPs. Furthermore, the report includes data triangulation and market breakdown processes to complete the entire market engineering process and determine the accurate statistics for all segments and sub-segments.

The report forecasts revenue growth at all geographic levels, and provides an in-depth analysis of the latest industry trends and development patterns from 2019 to 2026 in each of segments and sub-segments. Some of the major geographies included in the market are given below:

 North America (U.S., Canada)
 Europe (U.K., Germany, France, Italy)
 Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia)
 Latin America (Brazil, Mexico)
 Middle East & Africa

Research Methodology:

The research methodology used to examine and forecast the Global Traditional Martial Arts Weapons Market beings with collecting data on major players through secondary research. Some of the secondary sources used in this report to extract information include facts from different journals and databases such as Morning Star, Factiva, OneSource, IEEE Journals, and Hoovers. The vendor offerings have also been taken into consideration to determine the segments and sub-segments of the market. The report also carries out a bottom-up approach to determine the overall size of the Global Traditional Martial Arts Weapons Market, as well as the revenues of the key vendors operating in it.

The objectives of the study are as follows:

To identify, determine, and forecast the Global Traditional Martial Arts Weapons Market segments based on its type, sub-type, technology used, applications, end0users, and regions.
To determine the size of the overall market, in terms of value, and for various segments with regards to North America, Asia-Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East and Africa.
To provide in-depth information with regards to the key factors influencing the growth of the Global Traditional Martial Arts Weapons Market (including drivers, restraints, threats, and opportunities).
To examine the micro markets based on individuals growth trends, development patterns, future prospects, and contribution to the overall market.
To study the opportunities in the market for different stakeholders and investors by determining the high-end growth segments and sub-segments.
To accurately profile key vendors and players functioning in the market, in terms of their ranking and core competencies, together with determining the competitive landscape.
To study competitive developments such as partnerships and collaborations, mergers and acquisitions (M&A), research and development (R&D) activities, product developments, and expansions in the Global Traditional Martial Arts Weapons Market.

About Garner Insights:

Garner Insights is a Market Intelligence and consulting firm with a comprehensive experience and rich knowledge of the market research industry.

Our vast repository of research reports across various categories, gives you a complete view of the ever-evolving trends and current topics worldwide. Our constant focus is on improving the data and finding innovative methods, which will help your business drive profitable growth.

Contact Us
Kevin Thomas
sales@garnerinsights.com
Contact No:
+1 513 549 5911 (US)
+44 203 318 2846 (UK)