PDA

View Full Version : Praying Mantis form.

TenTigers
09-21-2008, 02:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsL2kXLvujY

Oso
09-22-2008, 04:16 AM
interesting to see.

mantid1
09-22-2008, 06:25 AM
Very nice form. I am glad to see the koreans have captured the true essence of mantis.

yu shan
09-22-2008, 08:41 AM
This brought you out of retirement Mantid1??? Oh brother... :rolleyes:

Three Harmonies
09-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Everyone else's essence is "Fake":D
Seriously though that was terrible.

Crushing Step
09-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Y'all have become a lot more civil and polite over the years, yes?

I don't see much redeeming in this form. I'm not slamming for the sake of ego, or saying this isn't Chinese enough even. I actually have as much if not more background in Korean martial arts than in mantis, and am personally disappointed by the performance of someone wearing a black belt.

Oso
09-22-2008, 03:26 PM
well, there is no doubt mantis got to korea...there was enough there and in the other clips from the same user to satisfy my curiousity that somewhere back on their line was someone who did some mantis as we expect to see it played.

also, given the other clips...we can deduce that he's mostly a children's school and most probably not that 'traditional' as most of us consider it and it's probably not that hard to get to his black belt...but we don't know what that woman looked like when she started either.

so, yea, maybe we have gotten nicer around here...though i'm suspicious that TT may have posted the clip to stir up some controversy ;) he must have been bored

MasterKiller
09-22-2008, 06:43 PM
well, there is no doubt mantis got to korea...there was enough there and in the other clips from the same user to satisfy my curiousity that somewhere back on their line was someone who did some mantis as we expect to see it played.

also, given the other clips...we can deduce that he's mostly a children's school and most probably not that 'traditional' as most of us consider it and it's probably not that hard to get to his black belt...but we don't know what that woman looked like when she started either.

so, yea, maybe we have gotten nicer around here...though i'm suspicious that TT may have posted the clip to stir up some controversy ;) he must have been bored

Typically, what happened was the Korean TKD instructors learned a form or two from the CMA guys in Seoul and just added into whatever they were doing. Most CMA in Seoul comes from Lin Pan Zhang and Kang Kyung Bang, both Mantis players, and therefore most CMA in Korea has a Mantis influence, including the long fist and bagua lines.

Oso
09-23-2008, 05:26 AM
right.......

mantid1
09-23-2008, 07:30 AM
Well, it would think this guy just picked up the form from someone or video...I doubt it comes down through Korea.

Yes, not such a great performance or representation of mantis. But, I could probably say that about myself.

I dont think the crime is the poor performance...that is probably how she was taught.

I do think it is a crime for a dedicated individual to be taught crap and lead along thinking she is doing something traditional and legit so the instructor can make money. This student put her faith in this instructor and worked hard on this form...just to be taken atvantage of for greed.

I would imagine she spent hours practicing this form.....when she would have been better off polishing a rock...at least she could use that for self defense. We could probably say that about all forms....if you only do forms and no fighting.

It is hard to find a good instructor....but even harder to find a good student. It is sad to see someone dedicated taken down the path of deciept....when they could be molded into a good martial artist.

It not just the Korean styles...plenty of this in the CMA as well.

Three Harmonies
09-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Good points!

yu shan
09-23-2008, 11:43 AM
"harder to find a good student" You got that right Mantid1. I have a nice core group but I feel there is somewhat a lack of commitment and dedication with this generation of young people. I chuckle to myself hearing some of the idiotic excuses some of my senior guys come up with not to come to class.

Crushing Step
09-23-2008, 11:39 PM
I think the challenge is inspiring dedication. I've seen karate schools that were run like day care centers, who gave out black belts to just anyone. Then I've seen karate schools that mixed fun with discipline and created legions of outstanding young martial artists. I've physically seen fewer kung fu schools, but it does seem like the young folks at wah lum work pretty hard.

I don't know the answer, and I've been guilty of lacking in dedication myself. I think a major career change and three kids seems like a decent enough excuse, but I digress.

I think there has to be a charisma and leadership quality about a sifu to inspire dedication in others. Not a mere motivational speaker, but to some extent what you say and how you act needs to make people want to be like you. The hard part it seems with the younger generation is then communicating that you don't become Jackie Chan in a weekend.

mantid1
09-24-2008, 05:21 AM
I agree with you JJ...they do need inspired by the sifu...and most do want to be like the instructor at that moment.....they just dont want to be like the instructor was when he was putting in the hard work and hours becoming what he is.

For me three kids and a career change is a good reason to miss classes from time to time. I would never give a family man a hard time about spending time with his family and working to support them. I wish more adults would be responsible like that...maybe we wouldnt be bailing so many out on their mortgages.

You know...students who dont want to do the work but want the skills and "stuff" just because they think they deserve it may be a little similar to all of the people buying houses with mortgage payments they cant afford just because they think they "deserve" it.

Whether it is a student who wants what his teacher has or a son wanting what his parents have all boils down to the same thing. HARD WORK. I think that is the probem today...lack of ambition and work ethic.

It could be the problem of this generation or possibly the previous generation for not giving out children the tool they need to succeed in life.

nolte13
09-24-2008, 08:42 AM
...when I used to train in a Korean style (Kuk Sool Won), I noticed we had alot of mantis hands that seemed randomly placed throughout our forms. The placement of the techniques didn't seem to....mesh with the rest of the forms and I always wondered about it since I never heard too much about Korean mantis players.

Of course Kuk Sool claimed to teach every animal under the sun (tiger, crane, bear etc. etc.), which no one ever seemed to know.

Crushing Step
09-24-2008, 09:20 AM
they do need inspired by the sifu...and most do want to be like the instructor at that moment.....they just dont want to be like the instructor was when he was putting in the hard work and hours becoming what he is.

Quoted for truth