PDA

View Full Version : choy mok=defense is offense

sanchez613
09-22-2008, 01:12 PM
anyone know anything about Siu Lum Choy Mok Kuen?
I have been studying this style for many years but, due to a significant language gap with my teacher, I have not been able to verify much about the history, evolution, particularities and background of my style.

What I do know already: Choy Mok is NOT a combination of Choy Gar and Mok Gar/there is a Sifu Lau Biu somewhere in China who published a book on Choy Mok (which I've read--and found interesting).

I would really be interested to know if there are Choy Mok practitioners in the U.S. and I wold love to correspond with someone who has studied the style or knows something about its history.
Anyone?

CLFNole
09-22-2008, 05:50 PM
The only info I have ever read on Choy Mok is that it is a relatively new style like 75 years old or so and is a combination of Choy Gar and Mok Gar. The emphasis of the style is short distance strikes and close-in fighting. More fists than kicks and phoenix-eye fist (fung ahn choy) is a favorite technique.

My sifu mentioned there were a few practioners of this style he knew of in Hong Kong.

Eddie
09-22-2008, 10:31 PM
sanchez,
I think I spoke to you on Facebook.
I actually found a magazine i had from HK (new martial) that has a short into on Choy mok, I cant sacen it cause i dont have a scanner, but perhaps CLFNole might be able to help. Its the one with Li Sifu on the cover (and Gwa sow and handsome joe inside)

CLFNole
09-23-2008, 07:25 AM
Eddie:

I think I have that mag I'll have to check my stash.

How are things going so far in China?

Eddie
09-23-2008, 07:33 AM
Hi CLFNole,
china is good. Im happy, but my wife isnt really.
South Africa fired their president yesterday, so i guess thereare more things in store fo them.

I found some shaolin, and plenty of wushu, lots of san da and tkd. im training by myself, working on pek gwa and CLF. the company i work for has their head office in shenzen, so i get to travel there often. can do some clf and pg when i go down there.

hows everything?

CLFNole
09-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Eddie:

I am doing good, keeping up with my training, work and family life.

I can understand your wife not likely it as it will probably take some time to adjust. She would probably be more happy in a big city like Shanghai or Hong Kong. Is the area you are in very rural?

sanchez613
09-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Eddie-
Yeah, it's me from Facebook--hope all's good. Thanks for the info. What's the name of the magazine, where can I ge it? Does this sound familiar to you, CLFNole?

CLFNole--do you suppose you could ask your sifu for more info? It's been a puzzle to me piecing this thing together. I always kind of assumed that Choy Mok was a combination of Choy Gar and Mok Gar, but according to Sifu Lau Biu (the only regarded source I've really been able to come by online) it is actually a combination of several styles, most predominately Chu Family (Southern Mantis, I believe), Fan Family (Northern Hung Chuan?), Chung Family (Wing Chun?), Luk Hap Six Combination Fist (Hsing-I?) and either Wu or Chen Tai Chi...I know that's a mouthful--which is part of why this has been such a confusing process for me. I do believe you're right--it is a new style. My teacher estimates that it is less than 100 years old.

I appreciate you two helping me out.

Laukarbo
09-23-2008, 06:22 PM
There are a whole lot of videos on youtube showing choy mok,and also from Sifu Lau Biu...

CLFNole
09-23-2008, 08:33 PM
sanchez613:

After practicing with my sifu today I asked him about choy mok and he again mentioned having seen it before in Hong Kong. I asked him if it was a mix of Choy Gar & Mok Gar and his answer was more or less yes and no. He said the creator likely learned those 2 styles but changed them into more of a short-hand, hakka style that is choy mok. He said the difference would be like fukien bak hok differes from tradition bak hok.

Hope this helps.

Steeeve
09-23-2008, 08:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR9vQnGtnE8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNNDIJdPBJI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCVQfmtN4rY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jfhVOIS-b8&feature=related

OK enought found it Big Guys Bla bla bla :D

waste of time ;)

Do you know the style Fukkk yooooou...traditionnal chinese style of fukkkshan

sanchez613
09-23-2008, 11:35 PM
seen all these steeeeeeeeve, thanks for your time. Training more might help you with your atttttitude problem.

CLFNole--thanks for the time, best wishes,
sanchez

Eddie
09-24-2008, 05:34 AM
clfnole,
I live in a big city - wuhan - actually i even live in the nicer part of the city. my wife is just not to used to Chinese ways ... like spitting in the street...etc. I think she also misses home. but she will be ok.

We can go to HK regulary, cause its cheap to go by train.

when are you going to come and visit me?

CLFNole
09-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Yeah some of their cultural habits are different to say the least.

The wife and I might be going over to Asia in the next year or so depending on how the economy improves. Right now my business is slow so a 2 week trip wouldn't be a great idea at the moment.

When I come I will definately try to see you.

Peace.

sanchez613
09-24-2008, 05:27 PM
thanks for the tip...

Steeeve
09-25-2008, 12:47 PM
come on

Just try to do some english joke .....