PDA

View Full Version : OT: Sign the Petition to Ban Political Threads

SimonM
09-23-2008, 07:43 AM
Whereas political threads are boring, annoying and get constantly bumped TTT.
Whereas political threads often draw energy away from other, more entertaining, and more topical threads.
Whereas political threads NEVER have ANYTHING to do with martial arts.

Be it resolved that we request the moderators of Kung Fu Magazine's Kung Fu Forum to block and lock all political threads as soon as they are formed.

Vajramusti
09-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Boring and for the most part poor soliloquies.

joy chaudhuri

bawang
09-23-2008, 09:59 AM
grr i hate political threads lol. its all rant rant rant

Shaolinlueb
09-23-2008, 10:06 AM
i accidently the poll.

SimonM
09-23-2008, 10:48 AM
To the top

unkokusai
09-23-2008, 10:49 AM
But this is a political thread!

SimonM
09-23-2008, 10:53 AM
I espouse no political position in it. :D Nor has anyone else. What has been expressed is an overwhelming majority of respondents requesting that political threads be locked.

unkokusai
09-23-2008, 10:59 AM
You can't deny that this is a thread about political issues. You are even advocating political action. Therefore, this is a political thread. If you were successful in having political threads banned you would have to ban this thread, but that would mean that the discussion about banning political threads would not happen and political threads would not be banned!

You can't win!

SimonM
09-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Once political threads are banned this becomes a pointless thread. At that point it too can be banned.

Lucas
09-23-2008, 11:11 AM
Bring out the banninator!!!!!!

Xiao3 Meng4
09-23-2008, 11:34 AM
As much as I dislike political threads...

I say "No" to the ban.

If we ban political threads, people will still talk politics. What do we do then, if and when someone posts a political viewpoint to a "non-political" thread? Lock the thread because of a few posts? Five posts? 10 posts? Who decides the cutoff? Moreover, who is to decide what's political and what's not? To top it off, what about the politics within MA? People are talking about their MA's politics all the time. It's no less stupid than the other political threads, I agree, but it constitutes a good chunk of the threads here and in other forums.

"While I may not agree with what you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire

...remember that guy? He had a point.

Bottom line for me: Keep the political threads. At least then the rest of the threads run little risk of being hijacked. In terms of the political threads being TTTed, Maybe an MA politics forum would help, I don't know.

..No banning of content, though. Bad idea.

CSP

SimonM
09-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Yeah, well Voltaire aside there are more appropriate venues for political discussion than the Kung Fu forum.

Lucas
09-23-2008, 01:40 PM
martial arts politics are also still on the topic of martial arts.

G. W. Bush or the current election has nothing to do with martial arts.

SimonM
09-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Martial arts politics is a different matter.

Xiao3 Meng4
09-23-2008, 05:40 PM
I fully support the idea of an OT forum.

Voltaire aside, I stand by the rest of my previous post.

CSP

David Jamieson
09-23-2008, 05:48 PM
I like Voltaire so much I visited his Tomb in the Pantheon Crypts in Paris.
That dude had a solid head on his shoulders...unlike most politicians. lol

Water Dragon
09-23-2008, 08:44 PM
What a bunch of whiny babies this place has become. I remember when the only thing getting banned around this place was Neal Cameron.

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Yup, this has become the modern Wu shu of Kung Fu forums al right.

Why ban political threads anyway? We need "Something" to talk about now that every possible Kung fu topic ha been discussed to death 3 times over.

Scott R. Brown
09-24-2008, 01:17 AM
Whereas the main forum is for the purpose of off topic (non-martial arts) subjects, and whereas no one is forced to read or respond to any thread they don't want to and whereas the avoidance of subjects that make us uncomfortable can lead to closed mindedness and narrow thinking, I say the only threads thats should be banned are threads that seek to ban other threads...except for threads that seek to ban other threads that are seeking to ban threads! ;)

Satori Science
09-24-2008, 06:31 AM
agreed,
no more politics,

I suppose that also means no more chest beating or lineage arguments, no more discussion of values or how our practice affects the rest of our lives or the world.

I did vote yes above, it would be nice to not accidently read some of the stuff i've seen people post on here:D

Scott R. Brown
09-24-2008, 11:06 AM
I did vote yes above, it would be nice to not accidently read some of the stuff i've seen people post on here:D

Accidentally reading something? Is that sort of like accidentally pregnant?

Or is it a little known symptom of dyslexia? You know, when you read something and before you realize you are reading it you have already finished reading it?;)

Xiao3 Meng4
09-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Kleptolexia, maybe?

David Jamieson
09-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Yup, this has become the modern Wu shu of Kung Fu forums al right.

Hardly, there's plenty of namby pamby weak ass fu forums out there. I believe you're a member of one or two of them...aren't you! confess!! :D

Oso
09-24-2008, 07:12 PM
i voted no because:

i don't have the interest to do the research that some people here will do on the political stuff.

of the few people in this world i respect, most of them are martial artists.

so, i will listen to the people on this forum more readily than i will others, even if i don't agree with them.

so, i think there is a decent educational impact from the political threads here as there must be on the many other specialized forums out there that also allow the political threads.

SimonM
09-30-2008, 10:07 AM
Ttt :D :D :D

mickey
09-30-2008, 10:20 AM
Greetings,

If we are to ban political threads, then we must bring back blooming lotus and ego extroadinaire.
This is a package deal.

When the GW gets on TV and lies to us about what in going on in wall street and its supposed ramifications, we need to stay awake as much as possible.

mickey

SimonM
09-30-2008, 10:27 AM
On the other hand... I'd love 1bad65 to get a big dose of STFU. He's possibly the single most obnoxious poster in the history of KFM, and that includes Ego Extrordinaire.

SPJ
09-30-2008, 04:58 PM
unfortunately, politics are everywhere, we do not live in a vacuum.

if there are 2 persons, we may go separate ways.

but if there is the third person or more,

he or she will be swayed or lobbied to one or the other side.

--

Since JW proposed a bill to rescue failing banks and financial institutions,

the house/congress voted the bill out.

--

the market dropped worse than 911

--

:(

KC Elbows
10-01-2008, 01:48 PM
On the other hand... I'd love 1bad65 to get a big dose of STFU.

You mean you get tired of a poster who derides everyone else as horrible debaters, but believes he voted for John F. Kennedy ten years before he was born?

Quick impression of 1bad on a date:

1bad: Do you love me?

Date: Um, let's take it slow, who knows, you seem okay. How about we order some pasta?

1bad: Sure. There, I answered your question, now care to answer question#1?

Date: I bet you I can pick my meal before you pick yours.

1bad: How about we bet that Obama makes a new tax specifically for thalidomide babies?

Date: What babies?

1bad: Thalidomide babies, you know, those kids whose moms took thalidomide, and it made them have tiny little arms.:rolleyes:

Date: Is something wrong with your contacts?

1bad: No, why?:rolleyes:

Date: Are you epileptic?

1bad: Pardon?:rolleyes:

SimonM
10-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Hey, that's an insult to epileptics.

KC Elbows
10-01-2008, 02:09 PM
The scene: a winter afternoon at the 1bad household, 1bad has sat his children, Jetta, Taurus, and his effeminate oldest son, TransAm, down to discuss something.

1bad: Well, I'm waiting.

Jetta: Hey, Pokemon's on!

1bad: :rolleyes:

Taurus: I love Pokemon!

1bad: :rolleyes:

Jetta: TransAm?

TransAm: Yes, girrrl?

Jetta: WTF is question# 345?