WinterPalm
09-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Coming out Oct 10.

I'm pumped.

The End.

GreenCloudCLF
09-24-2008, 04:14 AM
The book:

Joined UFC. Beat everyone from the 185lb division quickly. Jumped into 205 for the publicity in an attempt to crush Affliction's show. I won there too.

The end.

WinterPalm
09-24-2008, 05:54 AM
It's actually a technique book but that stuff counts as well.

The End.

MasterKiller
09-24-2008, 06:39 AM
He's planning to retire after a year. Better get as much of him as as you can now.

Three Harmonies
09-24-2008, 07:15 AM
If you guys ever, EVER, have the chance to train with him do it! It was amazing! Super nice guy, and great technique!
Jake

GreenCloudCLF
09-24-2008, 10:10 AM
He's planning to retire after a year. Better get as much of him as as you can now.

I heard he wants to compete in boxing.

sanjuro_ronin
09-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Don't forget Fedor's book too.

WinterPalm
09-24-2008, 07:33 PM
Between Fedor's excellent throwing section from what I've seen of the chapter outline, and Anderson Silva's drills...these are two must have books.

I've also heard good things about the BJ Penn book.

sanjuro_ronin
09-25-2008, 04:14 AM
Between Fedor's excellent throwing section from what I've seen of the chapter outline, and Anderson Silva's drills...these are two must have books.

I've also heard good things about the BJ Penn book.

I have BJ's book and Randy's and Parisyan's too.
The series by Eric Kraus is quite excellent.

Three Harmonies
09-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Ditto and word! Karo's and BJ's books are killer!
Jake

WinterPalm
09-25-2008, 10:18 AM
I've flipped through Karo's book and hope to get that one soon...but will probably pick up the Silva one and the Fedor one first.

Three Harmonies
09-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Just saw the Fedor one this AM. Man, I am disappointed. Perhaps it is an influx of similar books, but it really offered nothing unique, nor interesting in terms of strategy or technique. I admit I did not read it cover to cover, just browsing at the store. But overall seemed flat and general. I was bummed, but hey, it saved me $40 freakin' bucks!

Cheers
Jake

sanjuro_ronin
09-25-2008, 01:10 PM
None of them offer anything new, they are just "informative" in the "biographical" sense.
Anyone that has been around MA for a few years won't find the 'perfect thrust" in any of these books, or any books/videos for that matter.

lkfmdc
09-25-2008, 01:37 PM
BJ Penn's is a great book, the others tend to be cool but nothign you haven't already seen. I just like Randy's wrestling one because it reminds me of stuff now that I am working on my wrestling again

Three Harmonies
09-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Sanjuro
I was not expecting that, but I would like insight into ones game and why they do what they do. I am not sure if it was lost in translation or what, but Fedor's book fell way short of BJ's, Karo's, and Randy's in that sense.
No perfect anything bro! That is for sure! I just cannot justify spending $40 a pop to see how everyone throws a right cross, and rear round kick.
Looking forward to Anderson's and Nog's books! Saulo Ribiero also has his BJJ university book coming out soon!
Jake

WinterPalm
09-25-2008, 02:31 PM
I hear what you guys are saying...but personally, I learn from everything and everywhere!
I watch our Sambo coach do something...I learn.
I watch a Thai fight...I learn.
I flip through Karo's book and read a chapter or so...I learn.

I really think that once someone gets a good basic grounding in one art...it becomes easier to put things into one's own flow and add elements that are consistent with your personal fighting abilities, strategies, capabilities.

I've seen the Fedor outline of chapters and thought the throwing stuff might be good. I've had various teachers that taught throwing and sometimes a new insight, different angle, different explanation, is all it takes. I'll browse this one first, however.

Anyone seen the table of contents for the Anderson Silva book?

lkfmdc
09-28-2008, 04:44 PM
I had an hour to waste yesterday and spent it in Barnes and Noble reading Fedor's book. DISAPPOINTING... I picked up Karo's book and actually almost bought it instead (what stopped me is that we now have a full time wrestling coach and we are working on much of the same stuff)