PDA

View Full Version : Yeahhhh.......

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-23-2008, 06:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJBshIbeNiw&feature=related

bawang
09-23-2008, 06:49 PM
believe it or not when i was in high school i thought those guys were badasses.

RD'S Alias - 1A
09-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Maybe they are? :D

cjurakpt
09-23-2008, 07:41 PM
truly outstanding! only a real master would be able to induce his opponents to attack him in a way that matches the sequence of a form;

I also like the high block against downward bo staff strike...arms of steel and all that, ef?

jmd161
09-23-2008, 07:45 PM
truly outstanding! only a real master would be able to induce his opponents to attack him in a way that matches the sequence of a form;

I also like the high block against downward bo staff strike...arms of steel and all that, ef?

Ha Ha Ha twice he stopped that staff:eek:

jeff:)

bakxierboxer
09-23-2008, 10:55 PM

My own "preference" was at :42, a cross-block "catch" underneath the front kick that wouldn't have reached him in any case.... just one of the truly useless moves in that "hyung"(?).

TenTigers
09-23-2008, 11:22 PM
ordinairaly, I would argue about "useless moves," but many of the hyung were simply copied from Japanese Kata, without actually understanding the meanings, so in this case, you are spot on.

bakxierboxer
09-23-2008, 11:48 PM
ordinairaly, I would argue about "useless moves," but many of the hyung were simply copied from Japanese Kata, without actually understanding the meanings, so in this case, you are spot on.

ORDINARILY, I do not argue about such things, since I've chosen to simply ignore those who make such statements.

OTOH, I also don't often make such a statement myself.... but this was a much more "deserving" "performance".

Over the years, I've made in-depth studies of my sets and the moves that many folks think are "useless".... they are not.
(always provided that the material has been faithfully passed on, even if not understood)

Any such appearance is mostly due to a lack of understanding.
(that said, that particular "lack" may have originated a few generations in the past)

Of course, I've been fortunate enough to have had a teacher who actually DID know.

bakxierboxer
09-23-2008, 11:50 PM

{!!!!!snicker!!!!!}

GLW
09-24-2008, 08:37 AM
So...this is a KUNG FU message board...

So, exactly what is a "bo staff"?

Never heard of one of those in Cantonese, Mandarin, or Toisan. I have heard of "Gun", "Gwun", Cudgel, Staff, Beng, and a few others.....

Now, if you take the approach that you are talking about a staff, then isn't saying "bo staff" sort of like saying "Staff staff" from the Department of Redundancy Department.

"Staff" works in all languages....and is not redundant.

sanjuro_ronin
09-24-2008, 08:39 AM

Cute and a harmless waste of time, better than taking crack.
Well...maybe...

Scott R. Brown
09-24-2008, 11:26 AM

So where was the witchcraft in this vid?

Oh wait, sorry...wrong thread!:o

SanHeChuan
09-24-2008, 12:54 PM
A high block should have a steep enough angle that it shouldn't stop the downward force of a staff but redirect the force to slide down the arm and off to the side. That is the difference between a bruised and broken arm. I hate it when people do their high blocks horizontal, it is a weaker formation, your arm is likely to just colapse onto your head. To many generations removed from a gwa I guess.

sanjuro_ronin
09-24-2008, 01:09 PM
The high block in TKD should be on a 45 to do just that, it is also done as a rising forearm smash ( under the chin) and as a forearm break coming from underneath.

SanHeChuan
09-24-2008, 01:15 PM
who says it have to go up? it is the same motion with all the same mechanics if it just goes out for the forearm smash. same with the down block it's just the same up against someones head.

sanjuro_ronin
09-24-2008, 01:25 PM
who says it have to go up? it is the same motion with all the same mechanics if it just goes out for the forearm smash. same with the down block it's just the same up against someones head.

Well, it always goes UP, no one said circular ;)

SanHeChuan
09-24-2008, 01:36 PM
I didn't say circular?:confused:

I said out as in straight forward, same everything except the angle at the shoulder which really doesn't change anything about the force generated except the direction.

People get too caught up in the artifical names, same movements different targets.