PDA

View Full Version : The Economy and Kung Fu

BoulderDawg
09-26-2008, 07:51 AM
Banks are falling like dominoes...people are losing their jobs...the govt is spending our money to bail out corporate execs........Just how long before all of this starts to filter down to the MA schools and people decide that now might not be a good time to pay the extra money for Martial Arts?

I think schools on the edge are going to have a tough go.

uki
09-26-2008, 08:13 AM
Banks are falling like dominoes...people are losing their jobs...the govt is spending our money to bail out corporate execs........Just how long before all of this starts to filter down to the MA schools and people decide that now might not be a good time to pay the extra money for Martial Arts?

I think schools on the edge are going to have a tough go.
in the end it will amount to wether or not people have kung fu... once the finacial crisis evloves into a food crisis, martial arts will no longer be as obsolete...

MightyB
09-26-2008, 08:24 AM
Don't use the Media as your economic indicator. The News loves crisis- I mean who watches the weather channel when there's no hurricane?

Use parking lots of chain restaraunts and major stores like Target as your economic indicators. The lots are still full and it's still a b!tch to get into a TGI Friday on Friday night. The economy isn't as bad as the media makes it out to be. New home sales are down because contractors were too aggressive. They outbuilt the market. Banks were too aggressive with mortgage loans... yes this is all true- but the fact of the matter is that people are still eating at McD's and still are buying Wii's- there's still a lot of money being spent on non-essentials. The economy isn't great- but it's still ok. Be a smart marketer and you will survive- and it's even possible to thrive because now's the time to become a market leader. You just have to remember that smart marketers advertise most in bad times.

1bad65
09-26-2008, 08:59 AM
MightyB is correct. When the media starts whining about a depression, just don't participate in it. ;)

mkriii
09-26-2008, 09:12 AM
Use parking lots of chain restaraunts and major stores like Target as your economic indicators. The lots are still full and it's still a b!tch to get into a TGI Friday on Friday night. The economy isn't as bad as the media makes it out to be. New home sales are down because contractors were too aggressive. They outbuilt the market. Banks were too aggressive with mortgage loans... yes this is all true- but the fact of the matter is that people are still eating at McD's and still are buying Wii's- there's still a lot of money being spent on non-essentials. The economy isn't great- but it's still ok. Be a smart marketer and you will survive- and it's even possible to thrive because now's the time to become a market leader. You just have to remember that smart marketers advertise most in bad times.

Last week me and my family went out to eat at Rafferties here in Lexington and walked right in at 7:30 and got a table. Half the restaurant was empty. That should be peak hour for dinner. I think we're going to see a lot of places going out of business. We've already seen Ruby Tuesdays and Bennigans go bankrupt. Banks are going bankrupt. This country is in bad bad shape right now. This country is built on a deck of credit cards. Banks are lending money to people that they shouldn't be lending to.

brothernumber9
09-26-2008, 09:18 AM
I don't have any statistics to back up my belief, but I believe, outside of 401k's and retirement accounts, that the average american is not affected much if at all by the financial mayhem on Wall St. I don't personally know anyone with more than 100k in their bank accounts, and really not that many that have investment portfolios or stock that they trade regularly or borrow against, or receive dividends from. The threat of local banks going under is a concern for those that aren't FDIC insured, but otherwise, most of us live check to check and if lucky, put a little away each month, that is insured, and it's just day to day business as usual.

mkriii
09-26-2008, 09:43 AM
I don't have any statistics to back up my belief, but I believe, outside of 401k's and retirement accounts, that the average american is not affected much if at all by the financial mayhem on Wall St. I don't personally know anyone with more than 100k in their bank accounts, and really not that many that have investment portfolios or stock that they trade regularly or borrow against, or receive dividends from. The threat of local banks going under is a concern for those that aren't FDIC insured, but otherwise, most of us live check to check and if lucky, put a little away each month, that is insured, and it's just day to day business as usual.

The FDIC only insures up to 100 thousand dollars. The way to do it if you have more than 100 thousand is put your money in seceval different banks then it would be insured. Washington Mutual the largest bank in the country went bankrupt. They said its the biggest bank in history to go mankrupt. BILLIONS of dollars was said to have been lost. Unfortunitely it is not business as ussual. I know tons of people with more than 100 thousand in the bank and I know a lot of people that have put thier retirement money in to the stock market and now thier sweating it (afraid their going to lose everything. The stock market dropped 1000 points yesterday. I wouldn't say thats business as ussual. What planet do you live on?

BoulderDawg
09-26-2008, 09:56 AM
in the end it will amount to wether or not people have kung fu... once the finacial crisis evloves into a food crisis, martial arts will no longer be as obsolete...

If if gets down to fighting for food I doubt we'll be using MA...Nope! The conservatives have just made it to easy to get a gun in the country. And if you don't have one...so what? There are guns shops on every corner. You can just break in and take what you need.

BoulderDawg
09-26-2008, 09:57 AM
I just read where McCain has been working on the economy.....****! I feel much better now!:D

MasterKiller
09-26-2008, 10:05 AM
I just read where McCain has been working on the economy.....****! I feel much better now!:D

Maybe he'll do a better job with it than he did with the savings and loan banks in the 80s. *cough*Keating Five*cough*

Shaolinlueb
09-26-2008, 10:25 AM
for some reason the school does better when times are tough. :idk:

MasterKiller
09-26-2008, 10:27 AM
The FDIC only insures up to 100 thousand dollars. The way to do it if you have more than 100 thousand is put your money in seceval different banks then it would be insured. Washington Mutual the largest bank in the country went bankrupt. They said its the biggest bank in history to go mankrupt. BILLIONS of dollars was said to have been lost. Unfortunitely it is not business as ussual. I know tons of people with more than 100 thousand in the bank and I know a lot of people that have put thier retirement money in to the stock market and now thier sweating it (afraid their going to lose everything. The stock market dropped 1000 points yesterday. I wouldn't say thats business as ussual. What planet do you live on?

They FDIC doesn't even have enough money to pay out for every $100,000 insured in it's banks.

GeneChing
09-26-2008, 10:39 AM
We've seen a more than a few schools go belly up this summer. And we're certainly feeling the pinch.

Y'all like this forum? 'cause I gotta hit ya up for subscriptions (http://www.martialartsmart.net/19341.html) again. Things aren't desperate, but we definitely appreciate your support now.

SimonM
09-26-2008, 10:51 AM
My school has been rocking lately. Sifu had to move into bigger digs to accomodate all the students and we are still experiencing crowding issues some days.

1bad65
09-26-2008, 10:59 AM
This country is built on a deck of credit cards. Banks are lending money to people that they shouldn't be lending to.

Correct.

Read up on the 'Community Reinvestment Act'. Banks were actually FORCED to make a certain percentage of high-risk loans. :eek:

Bush tried to reign it in in 2003, but people like Barney Frank said Fannie May and Freddie Mac were doing just fine.

MasterKiller
09-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Bush tried to reign it in in 2003, but people like Barney Frank said Fannie May and Freddie Mac were doing just fine.LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW9viaJatpo

1bad65
09-26-2008, 11:01 AM
I work in high tech. We are notorious for being an 'up-and-down' industry. My company is making money big time. My next bonus should be pretty big. The rest of the industry is doing good as well.

And the two schools I train at are growing as well.

Shaolinlueb
09-26-2008, 11:04 AM
FDIC insures up to 100,000. correct MK, but there are insurance companies that cover the rest.

my bank has insurance that saves all savings for the the money that FDIC won't cover. so everything above 100,000 is also insured at my bank.

MasterKiller
09-26-2008, 11:05 AM
FDIC insures up to 100,000. correct MK, but there are insurance companies that cover the rest.

my bank has insurance that saves all savings for the the money that FDIC won't cover. so everything above 100,000 is also insured at my bank.

There is not enough money in the insurance system to pay everyone who would be owed if the majority of banks fail.

1bad65
09-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Which candidate got over $100,000 in campaign money from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac?

Franklin Raines, Bill Clinton's White House budget director, ran Fannie Mae and made $50 million dollars.

Jamie Gorelick, Clinton Justice Dept official, worked for Fannie Mae and made $26 million dollars.

Jim Johnson, served on Obama's VP search committee, was a Fannie Mae CEO.

1bad65
09-26-2008, 11:13 AM
There is not enough money in the insurance system to pay everyone who would be owed if the majority of banks fail.

The only banks that are in danger of failing are those that made horrendous business decisions.

MasterKiller
09-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Which candidate got over $100,000 in campaign money from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac?

Franklin Raines, Bill Clinton's White House budget director, ran Fannie Mae and made $50 million dollars.

Jamie Gorelick, Clinton Justice Dept official, worked for Fannie Mae and made $26 million dollars.

Jim Johnson, served on Obama's VP search committee, was a Fannie Mae CEO.

You forgot McCain's campaign manager Rick Davis.

MasterKiller
09-26-2008, 11:16 AM
The only banks that are in danger of failing are those that made horrendous business decisions.

Decisions that were spurred by the Bush admin trying to prop up the economy with housing after 9/11.

mkriii
09-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Well that seems to be quite a few banks.

Also, people who have money invested in the stock market are going to be hurt, people who have money in mutual funds are going to be hurt, people who have money in CD's are going to be hurt. People with CD's can't get thier money out without taking a penalty. So if they have a CD with a bank thats about to go under their screwed.

lkfmdc
09-26-2008, 11:31 AM
one of the major martial arts business consulting groups just sent out an article saying when the small schools go under, the bigger schools will get even more members from those schools....

in NYC, this may finally bring down the absurd residential and commercial real estate rates. I live in a city where studio aparments sell for a million dollars :eek:

those who had big fat bonuses on wall street are definitely going to take a hit, and some of those guys are my clients, but isn't it about time they started living in the real world?

1bad65
09-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Decisions that were spurred by the Bush admin trying to prop up the economy with housing after 9/11.

Like what?

SanHeChuan
09-26-2008, 11:50 AM
one of the major martial arts business consulting groups just sent out an article saying when the small schools go under, the bigger schools will get even more members from those schools....

The banks going under are getting bought out cheep by the banks still on top and growing at the losers expense just like it should be. The bailout is not needed, let them go under, so others can take their place.

MasterKiller
09-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Like what?
The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) has been in existence since the Civil War. Its mission is to ensure the fiscal soundness of national banks. For 140 years, the OCC examined the books of national banks to make sure they were balanced, an important but uncontroversial function.

In 2003 the OCC invoked a clause from the 1863 National Bank Act to issue formal opinions preempting all state predatory lending laws, thereby rendering them inoperative. The OCC also promulgated new rules that prevented states from enforcing any of their own consumer protection laws against national banks.

BoulderDawg
09-26-2008, 12:05 PM
I work in high tech. We are notorious for being an 'up-and-down' industry. My company is making money big time. My next bonus should be pretty big. .

They give you bonus for sitting at your computer and posting here 50-60 times a day??????

Ain't American grand!!!!!:D

BoulderDawg
09-26-2008, 12:09 PM
The banks going under are getting bought out cheep by the banks still on top and growing at the losers expense just like it should be. The bailout is not needed, let them go under, so others can take their place.

Doesn't work without legislation. The less competition (Failed business) the more strenght the few left will have. A new company would not stand a chance to survive. This leads to monopoly.

lkfmdc
09-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Doesn't work without legislation. The less competition (Failed business) the more strenght the few left will have. A new company would not stand a chance to survive. This leads to monopoly.

When it comes to "money" you always have monopolies. The big eat the small. For the thousands of people going out of work, there are a small few who are going to invest in low value stock, ride it out and make a killing. The big build up, break into pieces again, the cycle runs continuous. We've already seen ths in the 80's

1bad65
09-26-2008, 12:48 PM
The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) has been in existence since the Civil War.

So, how does this relate to the Executive Branch of our Government?

1bad65
09-26-2008, 12:49 PM
They give you bonus for sitting at your computer and posting here 50-60 times a day??????

Ain't American grand!!!!!:D

It is for me!

Fox
09-27-2008, 07:54 AM
I count myself lucky. I have had to move walls to expand my school. Then again, I teach in a college town. It stays constant here. I might have a student leave, then another one comes along.

David Jamieson
09-27-2008, 07:59 AM
:rolleyes: @ food crisis.

buy an egg, incubate it, voila, you have a chicken.

buy another egg and do same til you get a male, let him make the hens make more eggs.

buy some seeds, plant them, wait then enjoy.

Kevin Huang
09-27-2008, 08:28 AM
My classes are expanding.

I'm sure that's the case for other kung fu instructors here as well.

MightyB
09-27-2008, 09:03 AM
I'd say that good business practices will allow people to survive in tough times. It's location, marketing, efficiency in using floor space (inventory control), upselling--- and, did I say location?

Seriously- Michigan's been in a recession / depression since the late 70's. The rest of the US is finally getting a hint of a taste of what it's like to live in Michigan. It ain't easy, but we all will survive.

uki
09-27-2008, 11:19 AM
:rolleyes: @ food crisis.

buy an egg, incubate it, voila, you have a chicken.

buy another egg and do same til you get a male, let him make the hens make more eggs.

buy some seeds, plant them, wait then enjoy.now just think of all the folks who don't follow your line of understanding and just come thru to raid all your hard work... many people will simply try and take what they can to survive. unless you are in the widerness it will be difficult to keep what food you do have to yourself... when people are starving, word spreads...

David Jamieson
09-27-2008, 02:54 PM
you watch too much tv

Lama Pai Sifu
09-27-2008, 04:06 PM

Yeah...

How many people do you know with $100K in the bank? Tons? Yeah...

And the stock market dropped 1000 points yesterday? Uh...no...it didn't. It actually cannot lose that much in a day, it is regulated with a daily loss limit.

What planet do YOU live on?

uki
09-27-2008, 04:48 PM
you watch too much tvyou know, thats whats so great about the internet... you get to see just how programmed people are in responding to things. i haven't had commercial, satellite, or cable television for over 10 years... now how are you going to respond? it's all so amusing... :)

David Jamieson
09-28-2008, 05:36 AM
you know, thats whats so great about the internet... you get to see just how programmed people are in responding to things. i haven't had commercial, satellite, or cable television for over 10 years... now how are you going to respond? it's all so amusing... :)

you don't watch enough tv.

In fact, by your own admission , you are completely disconnected from the greater community at large. Not sure if you should be commenting on it as much as you do seeing as you are self admitting you have little skill or opportunity in socializing with others. Your views are indicative of this, but it doesn't seem you are capable of making that connection and prefer to live in your somewhat deluded sense of reality (according to your musings and postings here in these forums). It is amusing actually and thanks for letting us know that there are still Luddites like yourself out there with weird ass world views and strange opinionated stances that come from that with little seat in actual reality.

good on ya! I hope your cave is enjoyable? :p

uki
09-28-2008, 07:34 AM
In fact, by your own admission , you are completely disconnected from the greater community at large.i like to call this the concept of living in the world, but not being a part of it.

Not sure if you should be commenting on it as much as you do seeing as you are self admitting you have little skill or opportunity in socializing with others. my socializing skills are superb. i find myself doing a fine job at it... i deal with people everyday.

Your views are indicative of this, but it doesn't seem you are capable of making that connection and prefer to live in your somewhat deluded sense of reality (according to your musings and postings here in these forums).the only deluded sense of reality is the one transpiring across the big blue screen...

It is amusing actually and thanks for letting us know that there are still Luddites like yourself out there with weird ass world views and strange opinionated stances that come from that with little seat in actual reality.you are quite welcome... i appreciate the opportunity i have in doing so.

good on ya! I hope your cave is enjoyable?building a hobbit-hole style studio is on the agenda. earthen homes are one of the most economically and eco-friendly type, average mean tempature is 52 degrees year round... :)

peace&love
09-28-2008, 08:08 AM
I believe we will all see a drop in our schools. Our local paper here in Nashville recently had an article on how all the local gyms were hurting and it is a nationwide thing as well. When the economy is bad, the first thing people drop is gym memberships. I have not had a gym membership in years. I had shoulder surgery a number of years ago and through rehab I was made aware that I need very few things to keep in shape. I use an exercise ball and dumbbells. I also run and do yoga. The article also mentioned the popularity of yoga and how people are using the at home DVDs for this. I have also found them mostly effective and accurate.

I went to class yesterday and one of my instructors said that he was worried I may drop off because of the economy. We have some college age kids in our class and one has disappeared. Between college and waiting tables and gas prices, a few folks dropping of the map for awhile is expected. As I mentioned before , this is something that we are going to have to deal with for some time.

I have also noticed how the local gym we use for training has dropped off in numbers. I train there three times a week and have noticed how fewer and fewer people are there over the past couple of months. I have also noticed how they keep increase specials. The past two weeks it has been two for one memberships. I don't know how other gyms are doing around Nashville. I know there has been a huge drop off per the article I read, but all the YMCAs I pass while driving still have full parking lots. I guess it is just the law of numbers. Therefore, the smaller kung fu schools are going to have a rough time until the economy heads north again.

Xiao3 Meng4
09-28-2008, 08:45 AM
Regardless of the financial crises, today's economies are vastly hypertrophic compared to the economies of 50 years ago, never mind 100, 200, or 300 years ago. And yet, Martial Arts schools and clubs can be traced back even further than that.

English Legislation From London's "Liber Albus" (white book,) circa 1180 AD:

"...And that nobody may hold school of sword and buckler within the city on pain of imprisonment"

Here, a collection of old European fencing manuals: http://www.thearma.org/manuals.htm

The existence of manuals implies an infrastructure that used them, ie. schools, clubs, and masters.

As Gene has pointed out before, Shaolin and its "Graduates" have been teaching Martial Arts for over 400 years. Jiao Li, the roots of Shuai Jiao, has accounts of competitions in the Qin dynasty where thousands of competitors participated. Where did those competitors learn?

In Japan, Sumo wrestling as a sport supposedly dates back over 1000 years. Actual JiuJiTsu schools can be traced back to at least 1559.

The Martial Arts have been popular since a time when economies were piddly little things. I think that the only thing Martial Arts clubs have to worry about is whether or not they have good quality content, because the one thing I DO see coming out of a slowed economy is less tolerance for BS. Then again, maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part. :)

CSP

BoulderDawg
09-28-2008, 08:52 AM
If nothing else I don't see growth in MA schools.

While it may be true that as many smaller school close the larger schools will benefit from crossovers I don't see a lot of new people starting in the next 6 months to a year.

Also, many schools main profit comes from their kids programs. I think these will be hit harder as parent look for less expensive activities for their kids.

SPJ
09-28-2008, 05:30 PM
when the economy is bad or a lot of disasters etc.

people will look for answer and comfort.

or spiritual index will soar.

so the mind/body/soul center will do well.

fitness/lifestyle-- yoga/taichi center etc.

--

for me,

if I am down,

I would do the twist and again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGwyHVodypo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5PqydMA1kA

--

we all have our ways of coping or dealing with down times.

--

the good time or good economy will roll again.

so let us just rock or twist for now.

:D

TenTigers
09-28-2008, 11:02 PM
are you kidding? I just had a student's dad call me up this sunday morning to drop off a down payment on a year program. Sunday Morning, and he was at the school's front door with money.( shoulda brought some bagels and coffee.)
If they value what you do, then they will enroll in your school.
It is simply a matter of whether or not you are giving them value.

uki
09-29-2008, 12:06 AM
It is simply a matter of whether or not you are giving them value.LOL... this made me remember a story of an indian merchant who had three different tables of indian merchandise. one table was priced very inexpensively, the next one was moderately priced, and the third table was very expensive... yet each table had the same assortment of things to buy. one day a customer came up to the indian and inquired why he was selling the same exact things at different prices. the indian told the lady that some people value what they buy according to how much they spend on it. some folks like to shop cheaply and others only buy expensive items... but in the end everyone is getting the same thing.

SPJ
09-29-2008, 08:07 AM
talking about gardening or growing your own food.

I always have a garden no matter where I go.

I grow some veggie, pepper, green onion, squash/mellon--

I also have peach and plum trees.

--

I do not use insecticide--

--

There is a food and powder milk crises in China.

They are not producing enough food for the population.

There is a poisonous ingredient added to san lu or three deer milk powder

--

:eek:

SPJ
09-29-2008, 08:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59lMZMaIX6U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_mPnKzbCw4&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTFANOlMTq0

:eek:

SPJ
09-29-2008, 08:20 AM
a bill to bolster confidence in people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFrssQpoFhs&feature=user

:cool:

TenTigers
09-29-2008, 08:32 AM
not to hijack,
but...
When I was a kid, my dad planted fruit trees all around the house. On the side there were peach,plum and pear trees, then as you walked around there was a cherry tree(I used to climb up,sit in that tree and eat cherries all day) two apple trees, an apricot tree and a crabapple tree. There was a row of blueberry bushes and strawberry plants.You would wander around, just picking fruit and eating.
We also would have a small vegetable garden-peppers, tomatoes,cucumbers (we made our own pickles)corn,and lettuce.
When my parents moved down to Florida, they grew mangoes, limes,kumquats, and grapefruits.
My dad had a 38foot Sportfisherman, and was an avid angler, so we ate fish several times a week. Bass, Blues,Mako,Tuna,mackeral,fluke, flounder,porgies,weakfish, snappers,you name it. If it swims, we'll eat it.
Deer season is approaching and I need to get my bow set up, otherwise there will be no meat on the table.
If you eat red meat-venison is the way to go. No hormones, no steroids, no chemicals, and they run free, not stuck in a pen and force-fed, so the meat is low fat, and the chi is better.
There is nothing more satisfying than growing, catching and eating your own food.

BoulderDawg
09-29-2008, 09:53 AM
are you kidding? I just had a student's dad call me up this sunday morning to drop off a down payment on a year program. Sunday Morning, and he was at the school's front door with money.( shoulda brought some bagels and coffee.)
If they value what you do, then they will enroll in your school.
It is simply a matter of whether or not you are giving them value.

That reminds me of a story I heard about the great depression.

It was black friday and there was a mob outside of the bank wanting their money. Then one guy comes up and says "I need to get in to make a deposit!"

When the crowd hears this they immediately cracked up with laughter and the call of "Let the MFer through" was heard!:D

sanjuro_ronin
09-29-2008, 10:26 AM
More often than not, you get what you pay for.
People that want something will always be willing to pay for it, always.

Lucas
09-29-2008, 10:46 AM
More often than not, you get what you pay for.
People that want something will always be willing to pay for it, always.

what if i want free stuff?

sanjuro_ronin
09-29-2008, 10:49 AM

Cheap *******....

Lucas
09-29-2008, 11:03 AM
hey, someone has to get the free stuff, might as well be me :D

BoulderDawg
09-29-2008, 11:47 AM

Very little these days is completely free. Which is a shame.

Personally I work at trying to give of myself without reguard to whom I'm giving to or my personal feelings. When we learn to give then we grow.

Kevin Huang
09-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Like tentigers, I just picked up another new paying student last week.

Martial arts, particularly kung fu, tends to FLOURISH in hard economic times.

uki
09-29-2008, 05:01 PM
seems like the economy is getting better. dow dropped 777.68 points for the biggest single loss ever... not bad. hope this keeps up...

SPJ
09-29-2008, 07:02 PM
the best way of trading in a bear market

is

actually not to trade or keep your cash.

--

somewhere over the rainbow or horizon, good times will come again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HRa4X07jdE

:)

Hebrew Hammer
09-29-2008, 11:42 PM
Glad to hear some of you are having continued success, I hope your business proves to be recession proof. When I was in wine sales we used to when the economy is bad, its good for business...when the economy is good, its good for business.

I don't own a school but the economy has definitely taken a bite out of my CMA training...I was paying $120/mo for CLF/QiGong and a $40/mo for 24hr Fatness Gym membership plus the increased $$$ for gas traveling to two seprate locations. I loved the CLF immensely and hope to go back one day but I was able to find a brand new Boxing/MMA gym closer to my house(see my profile) for about $79/month that offered boxing, kickboxing, yoga, and BJJ plus regular fitness equipment all under one house.

I can say its been a pretty good experience, I love the cross training, and I've lost about 12 badly need pounds over the last two months. There have to be others in my shoes. On the down side, its not nearly as in depth and diverse as CLF/Qigong. For now it has to be a business decision.

bakxierboxer
09-30-2008, 02:43 AM
.... $40/mo for 24hr Fatness Gym membership....
..... I've lost about 12 badly need pounds over the last two months....

:confused:
Looks like there's just no substitute for those Fatness workouts. :rolleyes:

Hebrew Hammer
09-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Looks like there's just no substitute for those Fatness workouts. :rolleyes:

You don't know the half of it brother...I still need to lose another 50, just to get into thong shape....

SPJ
09-30-2008, 05:10 PM
economy good or bad?

gas money gone up

food price gone up

--

stock market shrinking

--

bakxierboxer
10-01-2008, 02:21 AM
You don't know the half of it brother...I still need to lose another 50, just to get into thong shape....

But those extra 50 make it just that much harder to even notice your thong!
Of course, if you lose your waist & your butt, then it'll have to be supported by yer schlong......

Hebrew Hammer
10-01-2008, 11:09 PM
But those extra 50 make it just that much harder to even notice your thong!
Of course, if you lose your waist & your butt, then it'll have to be supported by yer schlong......

Don't get your hopes up Sailor!!! Be careful what you wish for...they don't call me 'Dangling Death' fer nothing. :D

TenTigers
10-01-2008, 11:33 PM
ahhh, he's lyin.
Remember, he IS jewish.
-and ya know what happens when a jew with an erection walks into a wall....

...he bumps his nose.

Happy Rosh Hashonna, Hammer!:)

Hebrew Hammer
10-01-2008, 11:46 PM
LOL...thats a **** lie...and Shana Tovah to you my friend.

bakxierboxer
10-02-2008, 06:58 AM
Don't get your hopes up Sailor!!! Be careful what you wish for...they don't call me 'Dangling Death' fer nothing. :D

Who told you I was a land-locked Sailor? (never got stationed outside of SD)
(which pretty much forced me to seek my "servicing" from all those "WesPac Widows")
("went" FMF in the Reserve and got stuck running physicals for the Cuba BS)

I don't "wish" for anything you seem to have in mind....
(what's that old bit? "The angle of the dangle is equal to the mass of the ass times the heat of the meat."?)(an example of "old math"?)(1960s (or earlier) "swingers" stuff?)

In any case, "Dangling" indicates a marked lack of danger (let alone "Death") for just about any encounter. (unless you mean it's yer tool that's "dead")

bakxierboxer
10-02-2008, 07:04 AM
ahhh, he's lyin.
Remember, he IS jewish.

I dunno ennythin' of the sort.
That name could easily indicate a Palestinian with a sledge-hammer
and enough of a grudge to man-up and use it.

-and ya know what happens when a jew with an erection walks into a wall....
...he bumps his nose.

I've never been that curious about it.... but, are you trying to intimate that
folks of the "Jewish persuasion" have really big noses?

Happy Rosh Hashonna, Hammer!:)

What is the *actual*/*literal* translation of that?

Hebrew Hammer
10-02-2008, 09:13 AM
What is the *actual*/*literal* translation of that?

Rosh Shashana is Jewish New Year, the begining of the High Holy
Days which culminates with Yom Kippur, our day of atonement. Our new year begins in fall because in the Middle East thats the beginning of the growing season, rebirth. Yom Kippur is like a year of Catholic confessional all wrapped up in one day. We're good like that.

For some bonus points...during the Dark Ages it was believed that we sacrificed unwitting Chrisitian Children during this holiday. Part of our historic demonization...me I try to continue that rumor...keeps the neighbor kids out of my yard.

SimonM
10-02-2008, 09:26 AM
You mean you DON'T saccrifice christians? That's no fun. :s

bakxierboxer
10-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Our new year begins in fall because in the Middle East thats the beginning of the growing season....

????
Most of the "Middle East" looks like it's north of the Equator........
What do they grow that sprouts in the winter?

Yom Kippur is like a year of Catholic confessional all wrapped up in one day. We're good like that.

The origin of the Discount Store idea? :rolleyes:

For some bonus points...during the Dark Ages it was believed that we sacrificed unwitting Chrisitian Children during this holiday. Part of our historic demonization...me I try to continue that rumor...keeps the neighbor kids out of my yard.

Drat!
I always heard that you ate them...... ("waste not, want not!")
(although not the really dumb ones.... after all you also originated that "you are what you eat!" saying, right?)

GeneChing
10-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Martial arts, particularly kung fu, tends to FLOURISH in hard economic times. (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=885028&postcount=61)
I'm curious what you base that on - do you have any stats? Any historical records? In modern America, martial arts is still discretionary and all discretionary practices tend to nosedive when the economy is bad except for entertainment. Recent indicators have shown an overall decline in the martial arts economy, with the exception of MMA, of course. Even that seems to be leveling off a bit now, but it's hard to tell.

lkfmdc
10-02-2008, 10:35 AM
The economics of running a martial arts school have changed, adapt or perish! Since I track statistically my business, I can tell you there is no question there has been a "shift" and if you aren't compensating you are in for a very hard time

Lucas
10-02-2008, 10:41 AM
being a banker i get to talk to a very very wide spectrum of business owners

those that are gym owners do seem to be having a harder time signing up members with the economic turn. people are focusing more on being thrifty, and cutting what costs they think that they can.

martial arts of course is different than your average gym. as you cant recieve instruction by yourself....so im not sure.

so far the people that seem to remain the most stable are those that provide needed services, or have nation wide or international sales.

Kevin Huang
10-02-2008, 11:03 AM
I don't have stats or any "official" reports, unfortunately.

However, I do know people who are involved in both fulltime professional and part time professional (i.e. rec center) martial arts. Where I live, there's a lot of interest in both aspects. Gyms are full, enrollments are up, and people are training. It seems to be that way everywhere.

Historically in China, kung fu has survived EVERYTHING. It even survived Mao's killing fields in the mid 20th century. Wars, famine, and attrition have not been able to stamp out kung fu or those that teach it. I don't see that changing, though the paradigm of how kung fu is taught might change.

Maybe indeed there will be a big falling off of schools. I don't know. All I know is that I'm getting calls and teaching regularly, and so are a lot of my colleagues in kung fu. Until the calls and teaching stop, I'll keep on adapting to whatever the economy does.

One thing's for sure. There are going to be some martial arts teachers who experience huge booms in their enrollment BECAUSE of this economic downturn. Some of them will be kung fu teachers, including those of this website.

The best school owners (and I count anybody who teaches for $$$ a school owner, even if he only has one paying student) will create ways to adapt to any kind of situation.

uki
10-02-2008, 02:58 PM
as a mason i can tell you that we have hade only one new home construction foundation job... usually we are banging out a foundation a week, but this year we've been taking chimneys, repointings, additions, and aesthetic masonry jobs... the housing market is busted... my boss has been in business for over 35 years and this is the worst one yet.

GeneChing
10-02-2008, 03:43 PM
I thought I'd share it with you all here. Y'all seem like you'd appreciate it.

If you had purchased $1,000 of Delta Air Lines stock one year ago, you would have $49 left. With Fannie Mae, you would have $2.50 left of the original $1,000. With AIG, you would have less than $15 left.

But if you had purchased $1,000 worth of beer one year ago, drunk all of the beer, then turned in the cans for the aluminum recycling refund, you would have $214 cash.

Based on the above, the best current investment advice is to drink heavily and recycle!

banditshaw
10-02-2008, 04:37 PM
I thought I'd share it with you all here. Y'all seem like you'd appreciate it.

I can definitely get down with that viewpoint.
:D

uki
10-02-2008, 04:45 PM
too bad i drink out of bottles only...

cjurakpt
10-02-2008, 06:47 PM
to anyone interested in work that is usually the last to be "touched" by economic downturn I strongly suggest healthcare, OT or PT in particular, as it gives you a great deal of flexibility especially doing contract work; for me, on LI, doing almost entirely school-based PT, avg. hourly contract rate ~$60 - 70 and I am constantly turning down offers for work; I currently work ~20 hr. / week, and could easily double that in a day or two with 2 or 3 phone calls...

plus, in the event that there were to be some sort of extreme major economic meltdown, I could always work for barter, vis a vis doing manual therapy treatment (no equipment needed), especially acute care stuff (e.g. - spasmed necks, backs, etc.);

the quick route into the field would either OT / PT, or nursing (nurses are in huge demand, you can make your own hours, the pay is awesome and you can work in just about any field of medicine with relative autonomy, especially if you are LNP), or physician's assistant - 2 yrs. of school, can do pretty much everything an MD can do, work almost entirely autonomously (need "supervising" MD w/in certain distance of your practice), also in any branch you like; avg. pay 80 - 100K, maybe more (depending on where you practice);

age is apparently not much of an issue either, programs tend to like peeps with "life experience" in their classes

GeneChing
04-20-2016, 09:11 AM
Last post on this thread: 2008
8 years later: FTW!

;)

https://thenanfang.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/kung-fu-of-Chinese-economy-03.jpg

Watch: China’s Economy Explained Through Kung Fu (https://thenanfang.com/watch-chinas-economy-explained-kung-fu/)
Remember the four principles
Charles Liu, April 20, 2016 12:05pm

In an effort to explain China’s economy to foreigners, the People’s Daily has published a video comparing Chinese economics to one of the country’s most ancient cultural hallmarks: kung fu.

According to the video, titled The Kung Fu of the Chinese Economy, there is an explanation rooted in Kung Fu for each and every recent economic policy introduced in China.

https://thenanfang.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/kung-fu-of-Chinese-economy-07.jpg

First, here’s the video The Kung Fu of the Chinese Economy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBO3xMDiFms

Now, let’s take a look at the video’s four lessons:

Retreat to Move Forward 退为进 静制动

https://thenanfang.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/kung-fu-of-Chinese-economy-04.jpg

Borrowing from the final chapter of Sun Tzu’s The 36 Strategems (usually seen as 走为上), “retreat to move forward” describes the current sluggish state of the Chinese economy. As the video states, “Slower growth is needed to allow time for restructuring before pushing to the next level.”

“Retreat to move forward” also involves a “reactive” element adopting a “wait and see” posture, an element integral to certain martial arts like tai chi or wing chun emphasizing slower movements to “harness the power of your surroundings”.

Perseverance Ensures Success 徐疾有序 久久为功

https://thenanfang.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/kung-fu-of-Chinese-economy-05.jpg

“Don’t give up and you will eventually succeed” emphasizes the second principle. The second part of the principle speaks to the importance of “enduring small setbacks”. In kung fu it is important to train and learn to endure both the hottest and coldest days of the year to reach your full potential. According to the video, in economic terms, it is important to persevere and ride the hot highs as well as the cold lows.

Do as Nature Does! Learn from Nature! 天人合一 道法自然

https://thenanfang.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/kung-fu-of-Chinese-economy-09.jpg

According to the video, China’s massive economic growth must finally be reined in because “The Chinese economy can no longer afford to ignore the role of nature and the environment.” As the text above tells us, there must be “harmony between humans and nature; the Way of the Tao is to obey nature.”

Share Widely for Mutual Benefit 惠己达人 精进共享

https://thenanfang.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/kung-fu-of-Chinese-economy-10.jpg

In the video, the Chinese martial monk is seen giving a hand to different martial artists from different countries. We’re told that “Above all, Kung Fu strives to cultivate the mind by encouraging different styles and promoting integration and sharing,” and that “Sharing is also essential to the future of the Chinese economy.”

As nice as that sentiment is, sharing has never been an integral part of Kung Fu’s heritage in China, where competing sects and disciplines have historically battled one another for supremacy and secrecy, particularly in its cinematic depiction referred to in the video. To provide one recent example, this spring’s latest Ip Man sequel features a plot based upon one kung fu master trying to win martial dominance in a city through a hostile and brutal takeover where sharing is not allowed.

https://thenanfang.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/kung-fu-of-Chinese-economy-11.jpg

Kung fu is a culture that can provide enormous benefits to its practitioners. Likewise, the Chinese economy has made tremendous strides over the past decades. And yet, despite Westerners looking for answers, comparing martial arts to the slowing state of the Chinese economy seems a bit of a stretch.

https://thenanfang.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/kung-fu-of-Chinese-economy-14.jpg

Source: People's Daily Online
Photos: People's Daily Online

Charles Liu
The Nanfang's Senior Editor

GeneChing
04-20-2016, 11:31 AM
Congrats to Pedro for getting on Forbes!

APR 20, 2016 @ 08:39 AM 3,319 VIEWS
3 Lessons For Entrepreneurs From The Ancient Art Of Kung Fu (http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidkwilliams/2016/04/20/3-lessons-for-entrepreneurs-from-the-ancient-art-of-kung-fu/#9bb72af49d55)
David K. Williams , CONTRIBUTOR
Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

The skills of entrepreneurship have been compared to many endeavors. Warfare. Games of strategy (“Let’s go chessboard it”). Athletic contests. And how about… Kung Fu? During the past year I’ve had the chance to spend time with a world master of the ancient Martial Art of Kung Fu, Pedro Cepero Yee (a Sifu Level, 8th Dan). Now 52, Yee has been inducted into both the World Martial Arts and United International Kung Fu Hall of Fame.

Yee was introduced to Kung Fu at the age of 6 by a Filipino family who lived nearby. At 10, he began formal studies in the arts of Karate, Shuai Jiao, Wing Chun and his chosen art, Hung Ga Kung Fu. In addition to his accomplishments in Kung Fu, he is a life coach, a mentor, an expert in Chinese bodywork and, most recently, a writer and author, working to help people at all levels break through their self-imposed limitations to attain the highest possible accomplishments in their chosen work and their personal lives.

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/davidkwilliams/files/2016/04/Pedro.png)
Entrepreneurship requires long and deliberate practice according to Pedro Cepero Yee (Image courtesy of Pedro Yee)

Kung Fu, as a category, is much more than a Martial Art. It includes any practice that requires patience, energy and time to master. Beyond a sport or a form of defense, it is a process of slow and deliberate practice over a long period of time that strengthens body and spirit and, most importantly of all, the mind.

Yee was not a child of privilege. He learned perseverance and a strong work ethic from his mother, Yolanda Rivera, and the power of keeping his word and always aiming higher from his adoptive father, Master Frank Yee, who is one of the most recognized martial artists in the world. Pedro credits his achievements to the support of his family, friends and wife Magdalena, “who breathes life into any endeavor I choose.” (In a similar way, my great friend, photographer and life coach, Damira Maricic, has been responsible for helping me see a way through a transformational period in my own life and business as well.)

Yee teaches entrepreneurs and others The Breathing Mind Perspective, developed through years of his own study, work and personal experiences. In a world where time is of the essence, he notes that many people are pulling themselves backwards as they devote their time and energy to correcting the mistakes of the past. Whether it is a relationship, a life trauma or a work experience, the focus on correcting the past becomes a drawn-out process that may never end.

“Unless the past is corrected, how can the future be good?” people tend to believe. In contrast, Yee advises those he instructs to make the best of the present moment. Here are Yee’s three greatest teachings that can influence today’s entrepreneurs:

Lost time cannot be recovered. Once an experience has passed, it is finished, not to be touched again. “People become immobilized if they believe what they’ve done in the past will always define who they are,” he maintains. “This is an illusionary concept created by the mind. It is called judgmental thinking. It is harmful, like a ball and chain, to present and future endeavors.” Any mistake a person makes, whether it is by poor choice or direct malice, cannot be erased. The most effective way to move forward is to recognize that you cannot change the past. Instead, you may choose to begin from today a new way of living, a new way of being, a new way of doing. This concept frees us to make amends, accept accountability and continue on the pathway of learning and discovery. For example, many entrepreneurs saddle their current businesses with shame or embarrassment over failures they’ve had in the past. Or they may attempt to overcompensate for past mistakes by going overboard in the present, as if the acts of atonement must happen again and again. Don’t waste your time and life living in the past,” Yee suggests. “To think that we must correct the past by revisiting it over and over again is old, outdated and ingrained societal teaching. Ultimately, it leaves us stranded on the carousel of life simply moving around and around. Over time we fall further behind.” To be clear, Yee doesn’t consider the past to be useless. He is simply reminding all who are around that we don’t live there anymore. The value of the past is in providing us with guidelines for what we do and do not wish to repeat. But the past does not and should not rule who we are and what we are doing in our lives and businesses now.

Trust is built over time. Once you give your word, do your best to keep it. This is where deep trust begins. From consistency of action, society at large becomes accustomed to the changes you make and it establishes trust in you. In business, consistency in a new direction allows organizations to move toward greater success by establishing trust in what they are doing with reliability now. Over time, the mistakes of the past become simply the early chapters of a book we can choose not to read again. Change is always within our grasp, Yee explains. “If change begins with a decision made in the mind, and the mind controls your actions, why are you not on track to be where you want to be at this very moment?”

The future is now. How many entrepreneurs fall victim to living and working within the perspective of the perpetual “five-year plan”? It is a condition of entrepreneurship so typical it is even humorous, as when pressed, most entrepreneurs must admit they are continually living in the hope of a distant future. For most, the time is never elapsing. As an entrepreneur, you must recognize that there’s no better time than the present to build a stronger future for your business by adopting a new perspective on all you are doing today.

The term “Kung Fu” refers to “work” and “achievement.” Take it from a Kung Fu Master: get to work and see what you can achieve right now and every day to ensure your success both now and into the future as well.

SteveLau
04-23-2016, 01:43 AM
When the economy is prospering, people tend to spend more on non-essential things. When in hard time, they tend to cut down on their activities including Kung Fu training. It is that simple.

Regards,

KC
Hong Kong

David Jamieson
04-25-2016, 06:05 AM
When the economy is prospering, people tend to spend more on non-essential things. When in hard time, they tend to cut down on their activities including Kung Fu training. It is that simple.

Regards,

KC
Hong Kong

Well, you don't have to stop training because money is tight and times are hard.
But you likely won't be forking out cash hand over fist to a club or school.

I find that when times are prosperous, people train less and pursue pleasure more.
Eating, entertainment, having a good time seems to have more value in good times.

Hard core people. People who live and breath, eat and sleep their passion, those people don't care what time it is. They will find a way.

Jimbo
04-25-2016, 08:28 AM

Regards,

KC
Hong Kong

True, but if someone knows what they're doing, he/she can still train their Kung Fu on their own for free. Any serious practitioner should be doing that anyway, even if they're also attending a school. If someone only practices/trains when their sifu is there and skips it when he's not, they're not really serious about the art. Since 2009, my MA training hasn't cost me a cent, but I still do it because it's one of my true passions, and it's an indispensable part of my life. I've actually improved in some aspects. It's not always optimal but you do what you can. If someone is serious and passionate about it, they will MAKE the time for it.