PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Use Your Kung Fu

wiz cool c
09-28-2008, 08:21 AM
How do you use your style in sparring? What techniques do you use? What principles and training methods?

My styles are Bagua ,Shuai Jiao and judo. I spar twice a week in judo when in the states and two or three time in Shuai Jiao when in Beijing. lately I have been using a lot of Shuai Jiao on the mat during Judo randori. And I also use quit a bit of Bagua during my grappling sparring as well. Like coiling to escape grabs rooting and holding a posture to check my opponents hips to block a throw. A few weeks ago I used coiling to escape a lock on the ground.

My solo training consist of forms, standing, circle walking, strength training traditional and modern and Shuai Jiao solo routines. My Class time is spent twice a week in judo when here. And twice a week in Shuai Jiao and one Bagua class a week when abroad.

uki
09-28-2008, 10:11 AM
How do you use your style in sparring?by sparring.

What techniques do you use?ones that work.

What principles and training methods? the tangles... trapping... stick and follow. yield, break, and push. my favorite type or method of sparring is simply standing on bricks and combining push hands, sticky hands, and other non direct strike methods in the attempts to remove your partner from the brick tops without you yourself uprooting... of course everyone can go all at it, but i personally do not like black eyes, broken noses, and and what not, there's a time and place for that, but it is not with your friends.

wiz cool c
09-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Interesting. Uki what style of kung fu do you study?

Dale Dugas
09-28-2008, 01:21 PM
sparring is not pushing hands on top of bricks.

Sparring is putting gear on and working against people who are not going to let you do what you want to do.

Uki, you are talking about nice little drills that have very little meaning when it comes to sparring.

Maybe you should try and put the gear on and work out for real.

It might open your eyes to reality.

What style do you study, Uki?

Who is your teacher?

Why would any teacher teach you that pushing hands on bricks is a form of sparring??

uki
09-28-2008, 04:05 PM
sparring is not pushing hands on top of bricks.depends on what type of sparring you are doing; and by definition, sparring is defined as to gesture without landing a blow to draw one's opponent or create an opening.

Sparring is putting gear on and working against people who are not going to let you do what you want to do.the whole purpose of life is to do what you want to do.

Uki, you are talking about nice little drills that have very little meaning when it comes to sparring. i am talking about a whole new concept of sparring that doesn't have involve raking someones face off.

Maybe you should try and put the gear on and work out for real.what's for real? define gear? the underlying basis for all martial arts was originally for self-defense, by exemplifying it as a competitive way of being, one destroys the core essence of practice... we practice so we do not have to do.

It might open your eyes to reality.my reality is this... why waste time going blow for blow in an honorable sort of way and call it practice, rather than skip all the melodramatics and simply go for the kill... if i am going to go blow for blow with someone, it will be because they have attacked me. there is no reason practicing ripping someones throat out with a partner, nor reversing their joints... so we has developed a new way to train the less than maiming techniques. it's more based and adhering to an unwritten honor system, because in reality there is only kill or be killed. no practice in between, there are only exercises and concepts to be shared which will be incorporated into our own unique and individual way of exppressing ourselves in martial arts.

What style do you study, Uki?read my profile...

Who is your teacher?come now. i am sure you have made wine from the grapevine already...

Why would any teacher teach you that pushing hands on bricks is a form of sparring??why wouldn't one?

hows your stomach by the way? :D

Kevin Huang
09-28-2008, 05:16 PM
I try my best to tailor my sparring sessions to the legal realities of street self defense.

I have students that work in various civilian (nonmilitary) jobs that have daily physical risk. With the daily physical risk goes daily legal risk as well. Several of them have been exposed to criminal violence (and its aftermath), so they think and react a certain way.

There are varying levels of physical violence that are appropriate to a given situation, and we train accordingly. So we explore the aspects of violence from both sides, that of the perpetrator and that of the victim.

The realities of the street are always changing, and so my students and I try to adjust accordingly.

SPJ
09-28-2008, 05:38 PM
whatever you want to do, strikes, qin na or throw.

just do it very fast.

just practice whatever you feel comfortable, and that you may execute well.

or whatever work for you.

1. Tong Bei, I prefer the throwing palm or shuai zhang to hit the nose or the face and followed by drilling fist or zuan quan to the abdomen.

2. Ba Ji, I prefer fake mid punch and low kick and followed by elbow strike to the chest/heart (ding xin zhou).

3. Ba Gua, I prefer walk to side with one hand guarding and introduce a push palm to the ribside or ye zhang or black bear exiting cave

--

again whatever work for you.

Just do fast and really fast.

:D;)

SimonM
09-30-2008, 07:32 AM
Lately my kwoon has been doing a lot of wrestling drills. This suits me just fine as I am a wrestler at heart. I still have to work on my ground game. Most fights I am the guy who gets the throw, it's very, very hard to throw me. My problems start when the throwing is done. I am weak against armbars. So I've been doing a lot of ground-fighting trying to correct that deficiency; getting tapped out from a hyper-extended elbow sucks.

I know I have veered slightly off-topic. Here's the reason why. Although my sifu was raised in Hong Kong and although 80% of the martial arts he teaches have a Chinese origin he spends surprisingly little time with forms. That little time devoted to forms does not involve really any attempts at assigning flowery names to the techniques.

So I call a hip toss a hip toss and an arm bar an arm bar and don't beat about the bush.

So, how do I apply my Kung Fu to my sparring? Well... mainly I do so by attempting to take the techniques I drilled that day and USE them while free sparring.

sanjuro_ronin
09-30-2008, 08:21 AM
There is training , there is practise and there is "perfecting".
Good to do as much as we can of all of them.
Sparring comes in different forms, from sparring related drills like two man sets, to semi-freestyle drills like most RBSD people do to freestyle sparring and even on freestyle there are types, from light contact to hard contact to full contact.
Variety is the spice of life and it is beast to do a little bit of everything.
My "kung fu" is mine and no one elses so what I do with it is unique.
Heck, sometimes I even use it to open up jars that think they should stay shut !
Its a multi-purpose tool.

David Jamieson
09-30-2008, 08:26 AM
I use my kung fu to open stubborn pickle jars for old women.

if you need a pickle jar opened, my kungfu will be there for you.

sanjuro_ronin
09-30-2008, 08:39 AM

You possess great skill.
Those pickle jars are tough, only someone with the real Chi can open them.

BoulderDawg
09-30-2008, 08:44 AM
Like if my neighbor is changing clothes I will use the power of my Chi to push back the curtains just a little to give me a great view!:p

sanjuro_ronin
09-30-2008, 08:46 AM
Like if my neighbor is changing clothes I will use the power of my Chi to push back the curtains just a little to give me a great view!:p

Ah yes, Yang Chi, I know it well....

xcakid
09-30-2008, 08:58 AM
How do you use your style in sparring? What techniques do you use? What principles and training methods?

I currently study long fist. So sweeps and punches and kicks are pretty much the norm for me. Although most people that have sparred with me including my sifu says I fight like a boxer that know how to kick. Still not sure if that is good or bad.

SimonM
09-30-2008, 09:10 AM

Impossible! Everyone knows that grandmaster Beizi Wan never transmitted the true technique of pickle jar opening to your sifu.

Lucas
09-30-2008, 09:30 AM
throughout my life I have always openly engaged in death matches with spiders, of all sorts and sizes.

Now that I know kungfu, I use my spear or kwandao to assist me in my fights.

I never lose.

SimonM
09-30-2008, 09:39 AM
I now have an image of Lucas fending off a fierce Tarantula with his Guandao... :p

Lucas
09-30-2008, 09:47 AM
I now have an image of Lucas fending off a fierce Tarantula with his Guandao... :p

lol, ya i only bust out the bigsword for the giant spiders or if i think they are looking at me funny, i stick to spear if they are on the ceiling and little. Or ill use the feiyue smack attack!

did you know a spider can tell when you are looking directly at it because of the glare off your eyes....tricky little devils.

SimonM
09-30-2008, 09:49 AM
So your advice would be to approach spiders in the same way as you would "drunk chicks" - use your peripherals. :D

Lucas
09-30-2008, 09:51 AM
So your advice would be to approach spiders in the same way as you would "drunk chicks" - use your peripherals. :D

Exactly, and make sure to use protection!

SimonM
09-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Although, as a point of caution, when scoping drunk chicks the protection you pack should not be a Guandao.

Lucas
09-30-2008, 10:50 AM
now i suppose that would depend on the drunk chick.

so to get back to the topic, and remain on our curve ball, there was this time when I had to use my kungfu to defend myself from a drunk chick.

It was at a local punk/metal concert. Very laxed environment at the hall where the show was being put on.

I was out side with a couple friends casually chatting in a circle to the background of the music. One of the people involved in the chatting was this little drunk chick.

I would account her as an aquantence at best.

chatting, chatting chatting with buddies, the BAM out of the blue this chick starts wailing on me with her fists. Completely blind sided and suprised, the first thing I could think of doing was getting her off her feet so she couldnt try to punch me in the face anymore. because let me tell you, strange drunk chicks punching you in the face for no reason can be annoying.

So I grabbed one of her arms while she was flailing around and lightly, okay ever so lightly, I pushed her to the ground. this chick was a wild cat for sure. she got back up and rushed me, I think meaning to try and tackle me. who knows. i jumped out of the way and kicked her in the butt LOL. she fell down again. at this point im really wondering why she is doing this. and all the other guys are just laughing at us and not doing a **** thing. she tried to get back up and come at me again, but I wasnt having any of it and pushed her down before she could get back up. then i yelled at her, "what the **** is wrong with you"

she just kind of layed there and glared at me. so I went back into the concert hall.

later she approached me and appologized for attacking me, and told me she had quite a bit of whiskey that night, and is a notriously violent whisky drunk. i can accept that.

for me in this case, granted it wasnt a fight, not even really a self defense situation, what i used most here was timing, distance for sure, quick footwork, and quick thinking.

so aside from the occasional drunk chick, and my death matches with spiders. I like to try and employ what ever i have been focusing most of my efforts on when I spar. this might be a technique, concept, or perhaps just my endurance.

so as others mentioned and implied in thsi thread, our kungfu training certainly does carry over into every aspect of our life.

just yesterday there was a moth flying around a co-worker in the office. she wanted to catch it and let it go but couldnt catch it. i snatched it out of the air and let it go outside. she was impressed that i not only caught it on my first attempt, but didnt crush the little bugger. I attribute that to my kungfu training.

yesterday my kungfu saved a life.

SimonM
09-30-2008, 11:30 AM
And you got to impress one of your co-workers with your granola side. ;)

BoulderDawg
09-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Although, as a point of caution, when scoping drunk chicks the protection you pack should not be a Guandao.

Speak for yourself. I can think of some interesting applications for the Drunk Chick Guandao form....also a few variations too!

Lucas
09-30-2008, 12:02 PM
And you got to impress one of your co-workers with your granola side. ;)

ya, i have to balance out the fact they they worry about how i am always punching metal things...i taught them soft comes with the hard!

SimonM
09-30-2008, 12:26 PM
This is wandering dangerously close to dialogue from Gigli... a long way down from my 40 Year Old Virgin references. ;)

Ray Pina
09-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Working a lot of knee bars in jiu-jitsu. I find people don't protect their legs and feet that much. My favorite is a rolling knee bar from the clinch. I would love to pull that off in the cage one day.

Stand up: Just working combinations right now. Trying to be fluid and powerful while relaxed. Kicking trees to condition my legs a bit... light.

Have a kick boxing match (closed head gear, boxing gloves, chin guards) in two weeks. That will be a nice warm up. Then hopefully start sparring at boxing. Looking to get a cage match in Dec.

Overall, my focus right now is not so much on winning as incorporating things I like into my training. Having fun with my classmates.

Ray Pina
09-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Oh... and nutrition.

So important. I can literally feel the difference.

One has to eat right before and after training and through the course of the day. This lets one train at their best ability and helps prevent injuries.

And doing exercise to strengthen weakened areas.

SimonM
09-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Working a lot of knee bars in jiu-jitsu. I find people don't protect their legs and feet that much. My favorite is a rolling knee bar from the clinch. I would love to pull that off in the cage one day.

Any advice for escaping the arm bar?

sanjuro_ronin
09-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Any advice for escaping the arm bar?

Don't get caught.

Ray Pina
09-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Just the basic. And it works for me because I'm kind of explosive and kind of bait it as a way of passing.

But as soon as they sink it, throw your weight forward so you smash their knee into their own nose. This is when they are throwing it from their guard.

To prevent them from being getting it, when they shift their hips move into it. Keep moving into it. And if you're tired, just put your head in their navel and bury your hands under their armpits.

When they go for it from side control, and you're on your back, automatically reinforce the attacked arm with your other and roll into it. If you're lucky you'll get your head in with the arm before their legs can stretch you out.

Once they have you, rotate and roll over your shoulder. But sometimes by then its too late.

SimonM
09-30-2008, 01:17 PM
When they go for it from side control, and you're on your back, automatically reinforce the attacked arm with your other and roll into it. If you're lucky you'll get your head in with the arm before their legs can stretch you out.

That's the one I worry about. People who have tried to arm-bar me from guard usually just get picked up and dropped. ;)

Ray Pina
10-01-2008, 12:57 PM
That's the one I worry about. People who have tried to arm-bar me from guard usually just get picked up and dropped. ;)

Yea, I don't worry about that too much. Like I said, I like to bait it to pass the guard.

When I get got, it's usually from my coach disappearing over my head while pinning me on my back and getting me in some funky gi choke. Or I lose a leg lock war that I started. Though I spent 2.5 hours on Sunday doing nothing but training knee bar positioning, using the head to pin the foot to the floor, grabbing the heal if you have to crank it to position the knee better.

I'm really loving jiu-jitsu. So much fun.

SimonM
10-01-2008, 01:18 PM
People find me very hard to choke. My arms are my vulnerability for sure.