PDA

View Full Version : Internal Power generation?

Hebrew Hammer
09-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Hi Guys,

On another forum there seem to be quite a bit of heated discussions about internal power, similarly demonstrated by this Chen Bing Video. There are some individuals who are claiming that there are martial masters who possess this power (both Internal Chinese and Japanese Koryu types)...one person who seems to exemplify these techniques is a Japanese fellow, Akuzawa, who studied Xiang Yi and Tai Chi, his link is below.

Chen Bing Vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIc5NIfrnJs&feature=related

Aunkai Link

http://www.aunkai.net/eng/index.html

My appologies, I know this might be a bit vague or generalized, I'm still a novice about this subject, but this is an earnest inquiry. I know you can't believe everything you see on Youtube, but you always hear about these legendary Tai Chi or Jujitsu martial artists who can generate incredible power or are practicliy immovable. Of course, years of practice are required to get to this level of proficiency, but these guys (in the other forum) are claiming that they can be attained in relatively short order using techniques similar to Akuzawa's.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this?

I was also wondering if Gene has heard about Aunkai or if you plan on doing some interviews with him, he might make for an interesting read.

JGTevo
09-29-2008, 03:15 AM
He threw that guy pretty far. The student may have been offering little resistance, but that was pretty **** far.

Hebrew Hammer
09-29-2008, 06:43 AM
I agree and I don't think that guy was his student...I think he's a MMA'er who got the opportunity to feel his power.

sanjuro_ronin
09-29-2008, 07:59 AM
Hi Guys,

On another forum there seem to be quite a bit of heated discussions about internal power, similarly demonstrated by this Chen Bing Video. There are some individuals who are claiming that there are martial masters who possess this power (both Internal Chinese and Japanese Koryu types)...one person who seems to exemplify these techniques is a Japanese fellow, Akuzawa, who studied Xiang Yi and Tai Chi, his link is below.

Chen Bing Vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIc5NIfrnJs&feature=related

Aunkai Link

http://www.aunkai.net/eng/index.html

My appologies, I know this might be a bit vague or generalized, I'm still a novice about this subject, but this is an earnest inquiry. I know you can't believe everything you see on Youtube, but you always hear about these legendary Tai Chi or Jujitsu martial artists who can generate incredible power or are practicliy immovable. Of course, years of practice are required to get to this level of proficiency, but these guys (in the other forum) are claiming that they can be attained in relatively short order using techniques similar to Akuzawa's.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this?

I was also wondering if Gene has heard about Aunkai or if you plan on doing some interviews with him, he might make for an interesting read.

CC Chen of New York can show you some serious stuff and he is still around.
Mifune and a few other in Judo could do it and there was always Ueshiba.
Proper application of physics coupled with many years of training ( and someone NOT punching you in the face ;) ).

Water Dragon
09-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Ronin is correct. I studied CC Chen's system for ten years, and as things seem to come full circle, have started training (and teaching) again recently. There's nothing mystical in what this guy is doing. Go back and watch the video again, and pay attention to the rooted leg right before he fa jings. You'll notice that it kinda coils into the ground and rebounds. That's what's going on here. Good Tai Chi, yes. Internal hocus pocus, no.

Hebrew Hammer
09-29-2008, 11:26 PM
Ronin is correct. I studied CC Chen's system for ten years, and as things seem to come full circle, have started training (and teaching) again recently. There's nothing mystical in what this guy is doing. Go back and watch the video again, and pay attention to the rooted leg right before he fa jings. You'll notice that it kinda coils into the ground and rebounds. That's what's going on here. Good Tai Chi, yes. Internal hocus pocus, no.

Ahh...but if there were only some Internal Hocus Pocus...would make for some fun.

CC Chen of New York can show you some serious stuff and he is still around.
Mifune and a few other in Judo could do it and there was always Ueshiba.
Proper application of physics coupled with many years of training ( and someone NOT punching you in the face ;) ).

Thanks for the good perspective Ladds, I thought they were drinking a little too much of there own coolaid. Although I would love to explore more of the internal stuff meself. All in good time.

cjurakpt
09-30-2008, 03:46 AM
the widespread use of the term "internal" as relates to TCMA was popularized via the writings of Sun Lu Tang in an apparent attempt to differentiate between what he practiced and other styles, with the elitist subtext (that seems to have carried on to this day) "what we do is better and why" (Tim Cartmell writes about this on his website in detail); otherwise, it denotes an approach to training that focuses on certain aspects of body mechanics during training than other systems do, but that's about it; oh, and all the "qi" stuff, there's some "qi" stuff in there :rolleyes:

in fact, notice how it's almost always the "internal" guys who wax philosophic about why what they do is healthier, deadly, more authentic? how they almost always seem to go on about how the way they move involves more than "just using muscles", as if, for some reason, using muscles is a bad thing (never-mind that, regardless of what anyone thinks, if you are standing up, moving, or, hello, breathing, you are using muscles - of course, the WAY you use your muscles can be radically different from one person to the next; it also is one thing to go on about how you can throw someone without using muscular exertion when that person is inherently compliant and trained to go with what you offer them versus someone not invested in you being t3h d3adly); OTOH, the "external" guys just seem to want to fight you to make their point (barbarians, all of 'em, I say)

sanjuro_ronin
09-30-2008, 04:14 AM
the widespread use of the term "internal" as relates to TCMA was popularized via the writings of Sun Lu Tang in an apparent attempt to differentiate between what he practiced and other styles, with the elitist subtext (that seems to have carried on to this day) "what we do is better and why" (Tim Cartmell writes about this on his website in detail); otherwise, it denotes an approach to training that focuses on certain aspects of body mechanics during training than other systems do, but that's about it; oh, and all the "qi" stuff, there's some "qi" stuff in there :rolleyes:

in fact, notice how it's almost always the "internal" guys who wax philosophic about why what they do is healthier, deadly, more authentic? how they almost always seem to go on about how the way they move involves more than "just using muscles", as if, for some reason, using muscles is a bad thing (never-mind that, regardless of what anyone thinks, if you are standing up, moving, or, hello, breathing, you are using muscles - of course, the WAY you use your muscles can be radically different from one person to the next; it also is one thing to go on about how you can throw someone without using muscular exertion when that person is inherently compliant and trained to go with what you offer them versus someone not invested in you being t3h d3adly); OTOH, the "external" guys just seem to want to fight you to make their point (barbarians, all of 'em, I say)

Chris has chi blasted the correct.

cjurakpt
09-30-2008, 07:43 AM
Chris has chi blasted the correct.

not bad for a "glorified kickboxer", eh? (who, BTW, has been training BJJ for ~ a month now, meaning, I guess, that my journey to the dark side is now complete...)

sanjuro_ronin
09-30-2008, 07:58 AM
not bad for a "glorified kickboxer", eh? (who, BTW, has been training BJJ for ~ a month now, meaning, I guess, that my journey to the dark side is now complete...)

BJJ has so much in common with internal systems, it was obviosuly created by Taoist monks on Wudang mountiain.
Not many people know that it was "stolen" by a renegade Samba dancer and exported to Brasil, ending up in the "guard" of the Gracies.
The whole Maeda thing was just made up crap to sooth the masses.

cjurakpt
09-30-2008, 09:28 AM
BJJ has so much in common with internal systems, it was obviosuly created by Taoist monks on Wudang mountiain.
Not many people know that it was "stolen" by a renegade Samba dancer and exported to Brasil, ending up in the "guard" of the Gracies.
The whole Maeda thing was just made up crap to sooth the masses.

actually, when I say training, what I really mean is that I've been engaged in a dream-scape tutorial with Ghengis Khan and Napolean Bonaparte who have been "transmitting" the entire system to me backwards...they only ask that I bring with me salmon mousse in return :confused::confused::confused:

sanjuro_ronin
09-30-2008, 09:34 AM
actually, when I say training, what I really mean is that I've been engaged in a dream-scape tutorial with Ghengis Khan and Napolean Bonaparte who have been "transmitting" the entire system to me backwards...they only ask that I bring with me salmon mousse in return :confused::confused::confused:

*SHAKES HEAD* Freaks never cease to amaze me....

bakxierboxer
10-01-2008, 03:36 AM
*SHAKES HEAD* Freaks never cease to amaze me....

I think he heard their names wrong.

sanjuro_ronin
10-01-2008, 04:08 AM
I think he heard their names wrong.

Well, considering the effects of mind altering halucinagenics, that wouldn't surprise me.

bakxierboxer
10-01-2008, 04:41 AM
Well, considering the effects of mind altering halucinagenics, that wouldn't surprise me.

How Duzat getcha to Junkies Scam an' Naht Pooleen MahBoneApart?

sanjuro_ronin
10-01-2008, 04:57 AM
How Duzat getcha to Junkies Scam an' Naht Pooleen MahBoneApart?

...He said Bone....:D

bakxierboxer
10-01-2008, 05:26 AM
...He said Bone....:D

Aw, SHUCKS!
Ah din't mean ta make it hard on ya....

mawali
10-01-2008, 10:42 PM
The best construct to know inernal power is in the arts of bajiquan/piguazhang, xing-i and tongbei

It is not that other arts do not have "internal power" but bajiquan and xing-i (and a few others) have a curriculum to develop it without secret BS like some would like to have us believe!