PDA

View Full Version : understanding concrete.

uki
09-28-2008, 11:57 PM
we all see those guy's busting 4 inches of concrete and what not, i'd thought i'd share some of my understanding of concrete. first i would like to say that there are infact people out there that use natural phenomenom to hoodwink the masses... martial illusioinists, as the term just appropriately jumped into my head. secondly i'd like to say that there are folks out there who do not hoodwink the people and use genuine skills aquired through practice and training...

first lets define concrete. concrete is a mixture of sand, cement, water, and gravel, 2B to be exact. proper strength is determined by using the correct ratios of the ingredients... too little cement or too much cement(richness) weakens the strength and integrity of the concrete. taking out the 2B gravel from the mixture and repalcing it with more sand likewise changes the mixture from concrete to mortar(which again lessens the strength), though it is still called concrete by those less informed of the actual concrete recipies... now considering what i have just told you, you can see how easily one can conjure up a seemingly hard and heavy piece of concrete that might actually just be a slab of hard mortar, it's recipie tweeked to minimize actual strength(yet from the casual observation it's just a piece of concrete). the final fact to take into account is that it takes 28 days for portland cement to fully cure, wether or not it is used in concrete or mortar... thanks for reading and have a most wonderful day... HIYA!!!

all of what i have shared with you can be verified by examining a piece of broken concrete or slab of mortar... :)

Eddie
09-29-2008, 01:46 AM
Concrete is strong when compressed and can usually take the direct vertical pressure, but it cant take horizontal pressure and that’s why they invented re-enforced concrete.

uki
09-29-2008, 04:10 AM
Concrete is strong when compressed and can usually take the direct vertical pressure, but it cant take horizontal pressure and that’s why they invented re-enforced concrete.re-enforced concrete... no such thing. we add things like fiberglass and wire to increase horizontal strength, yet the cement itself remains the same, of course if you delve into the realm of synthetics, you may find something... you just go to help prove my point that there are many people who use natural phenomenom to hoodwink the masses do entirely to the ignorance of the people... is there any whom tout breaking 4 inch slabs standing in the vertical positions?

sanjuro_ronin
09-29-2008, 04:10 AM
Concrete is for *****s, real men use steel plate, min 3/8" thk, grade SA516.70.
:p

uki
09-29-2008, 04:15 AM
Concrete is for *****s, real men use steel plate, min 3/8" thk, grade SA516.70.
i must say... it'd be hard to pre-fab a piece of steel to break easier than normal. and then again you must'n be too hard on folks who break slabs of mortar and call it concrete... most of the time i would say it is an honest mistake.

sanjuro_ronin
09-29-2008, 04:18 AM
i must say... it'd be hard to pre-fab a piece of steel to break easier than normal. and then again you must'n be too hard on folks who break slabs of mortar and call it concrete... most of the time i would say it is an honest mistake.

Typically I just go over to the Home depot and get their 2 x 8 x 16 patio slabs.
I get a bunch because, some of them break way too easy and other way too hard !

uki
09-29-2008, 04:44 AM
Typically I just go over to the Home depot and get their 2 x 8 x 16 patio slabs.
I get a bunch because, some of them break way too easy and other way too hard !home depot... now there is high tech quality. i just call in a concrete truck and pour patios and garage floors, pads, and slabs.:)

sanjuro_ronin
09-29-2008, 04:50 AM
home depot... now there is high tech quality. i just call in a concrete truck and pour patios and garage floors, pads, and slabs.:)

Bah, I know those guys, better off with the Depot !
LOL !

uki
09-29-2008, 05:30 AM
Bah, I know those guys, better off with the Depot !home depot... the home of the weekend contractor.

Eddie
09-29-2008, 05:44 AM
re-enforced concrete... no such thing. we add things like fiberglass and wire to increase horizontal strength, yet the cement itself remains the same, of course if you delve into the realm of synthetics, you may find something... you just go to help prove my point that there are many people who use natural phenomenom to hoodwink the masses do entirely to the ignorance of the people... is there any whom tout breaking 4 inch slabs standing in the vertical positions?

relax dude, the post was meant to be in agreement with yours.

sanjuro_ronin
09-29-2008, 05:48 AM
home depot... the home of the weekend contractor.

That's right Mo Fu !!

uki
09-29-2008, 05:54 AM
relax dude, the post was meant to be in agreement with yours.i know. abrasiveness is just a natural part of my being... :)

TenTigers
09-29-2008, 07:35 AM

you can temper steel to be so hard, that it becomes brittle.
Ever see those monks breaking the steel bars on their heads?
Watch closely and you will notice that the bar often breaks in three pieces, and that the breaks are not at the point of impact.

Also steel castings using pot metal
(which is not heavy rock music played by hippies)

uki
09-29-2008, 08:18 AM
Ever see those monks breaking the steel bars on their heads?no i have not... because there are no monks breaking steel bars over their heads.

Watch closely and you will notice that the bar often breaks in three pieces, and that the breaks are not at the point of impact. and why would a monk be dishonest with himself and mislead the public...

Also steel castings using pot metal
(which is not heavy rock music played by hippies)ah, but it could become the newest rock genre... :)

Xiao3 Meng4
09-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Dunno about pot metal, but stoner metal's been around for decades...

TenTigers
09-29-2008, 08:36 AM
no i have not... because there are no monks breaking steel bars over their heads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPEnvIAUtUk&feature=related

(well, they call themselves monks....)

uki
09-29-2008, 08:40 AM
(well, they call themselves monks....)my point exactly...

Dale Dugas
09-29-2008, 09:44 AM
hey uki,

how about instead of writing about things, how about you show us you can do them.

talking is cheap.

Actions speak louder than words.

P.S. My stomach is just fine. How about your replicate my break and take full power shots to your ribs, sternum, solar plexus??

Maybe you will find out that pushing hands on bricks is not going to teach you how to take full power blows.

I know for a fact you cannot. as you are nothing more than a talker...

Cowardly mouthboxers seem to have become the rule instead of people who train their fu rather than post drek.

sanjuro_ronin
09-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Actually, this is a very interesting point, how can one be assured of consistant "tensile strength" in the objects ones choose to break?
Heck, even bodies are consistent so does it matter?
Not really, but for arguments sake I will take the engineers "tensile strength" gauge to the local Home depot and measure out some of their patio stones, just for ****s and giggles and let you guys know.

Lucas
09-29-2008, 10:30 AM

im going out on a limb and assuming you meant inconsistent ;)

TenTigers
09-29-2008, 10:39 AM
yet another argument in support of human cloning!

sanjuro_ronin
09-29-2008, 10:43 AM
im going out on a limb and assuming you meant inconsistent ;)

LMAO, you are correct Sir !

sanjuro_ronin
09-29-2008, 10:44 AM
yet another argument in support of human cloning!

Yep, the more the better:

uki
09-29-2008, 04:03 PM
hey uki,hey dugas!

how about instead of writing about things, how about you show us you can do them.i believe i have been fairly honest an open here... what exactly am i claiming to do that i haven't attempted to verify in some shape or form?

talking is cheap.you are correct... which is why i am writing you and you get to read my posts... no talking here.

Actions speak louder than words.depends on what's being said and what's being done.

P.S. My stomach is just fine.good... for a bit there i thought perhaps you were ill since you can't seem to stomach pukes such as myself.

How about your replicate my break and take full power shots to your ribs, sternum, solar plexus??how exactly does this keep your face attached to your head? i must say all this concrete breaking words is inspiring me to make up a few batches and form a few slabs... i have broken bricks before, but never even attempted concrete... thanks for the muse.

Maybe you will find out that pushing hands on bricks is not going to teach you how to take full power blows.true, but it will help perfect my ability to avoid, negate, and absorb them.

I know for a fact you cannot. in the same token i know for a fact that you cannot juggle three 9 lb iron balls, let alone do any tricks with them, for any given amount of time whatsoever...

as you are nothing more than a talker...writer. i don't believe we have ever talked yet.

Cowardly mouthboxers seem to have become the rule instead of people who train their fu rather than post drek.just what exactly makes me so cowardly in your eyes? how actually have i offended you? i believe i am sharing some techniques to improve ones martial arts... no more so than you are doing promoting iron shirt and iron palm... you'd be suprised on how much we could share with each other if you allowed your rage to subside. for a bagua guy, you sure seem a bit hostile by nature...

TenTigers
09-29-2008, 05:19 PM
...people who train their fu rather than post drek.
I hear this phrase alot. Never by Chinese.
the word,"Fu," means man. "Gung" means work/skill
together Gung-Fu means a man who works, or the act of working to aquire skill.

you don't train your Fu.

...that's like ebonics, folks.

uki
09-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Gung-Fu means a man who works, or the act of working to aquire skill.i am a fan of time in energy... you are what you practice.

Akronviper
09-29-2008, 05:39 PM
re-enforced concrete... no such thing. we add things like fiberglass and wire to increase horizontal strength, yet the cement itself remains the same, of course if you delve into the realm of synthetics, you may find something... you just go to help prove my point that there are many people who use natural phenomenom to hoodwink the masses do entirely to the ignorance of the people... is there any whom tout breaking 4 inch slabs standing in the vertical positions?

Re-enforced, ie #4 rebar helps re-enforce concrete in both tension and compression. Wire and fibermesh does nothing but help in cracking and offers no real structural re-enforcement. Now that being said the lesson in concrete does nothing for debunking breaking concrete just puts doubt on the legitimate people out there. Go to home depot and check out there blocks there is course aggregate in them and from my testing seem to be made with at least 3500 psi concrete. Smack one it hurts like a B---H. People bake blocks, coco nuts, boards and brick. They doctor their breaking material to gain students and credibility but there are still who break legitimately and even some who break unsupported standing on end.

uki
09-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Re-enforced, ie #4 rebar helps re-enforce concrete in both tension and compression. true.

Wire and fibermesh does nothing but help in cracking and offers no real structural re-enforcement.again you are correct. these are only used for flatwork where horizontal strength is the weakest.

Now that being said the lesson in concrete does nothing for debunking breaking concrete just puts doubt on the legitimate people out there. you catch on quick.

Go to home depot and check out there blocks there is course aggregate in them and from my testing seem to be made with at least 3500 psi concrete.the size and type of the gravel is the key factor...

Smack one it hurts like a B---H. People bake blocks, coco nuts, boards and brick. They doctor their breaking material to gain students and credibilitythese people are just not happy with themselves... they live a lie.

but there are still who break legitimately and even some who break unsupported standing on end.i too have stated the likewise in my first post.

bakxierboxer
09-30-2008, 01:28 AM
the word,"Fu," means man.

Isn't that in something of a "parental" context?

TenTigers
09-30-2008, 07:27 AM
Isn't that in something of a "parental" context?
all depending on how it's used.
Jeurng Fu, male plus man=husband
Fu Yun,man plus person=wife
Loong Fu, a plot of land plus man=farmer
Gung Fu, work plus man= a high level of skill developed through time and effort
to us, some of them don't make sense, but then again, neither does rough, tough, and through.
anyway you don't "train your fu"-unless you are a domineering woman!

sanjuro_ronin
09-30-2008, 07:59 AM
all depending on how it's used.
Jeurng Fu, male plus man=husband
Fu Yun,man plus person=wife
Loong Fu, a plot of land plus man=farmer
Gung Fu, work plus man= a high level of skill developed through time and effort
to us, some of them don't make sense, but then again, neither does rough, tough, and through.
anyway you don't "train your fu"-unless you are a domineering woman!

This thread is full of Fu....:D

TaichiMantis
09-30-2008, 08:36 AM
Does anyone here break patio bricks by setting them up with pencils in between? How many can any of you break stacked flat on top of each other...just curious :p

sanjuro_ronin
09-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Does anyone here break patio bricks by setting them up with pencils in between? How many can any of you break stacked flat on top of each other...just curious :p

Nope, no spacers, have done 2 slabs, working on breaking them flat and standing up, also working on breaking them while holding one in onehand and breaking with the other.
Also working on breaking them while in mid-air and while dancing the samba, but that is from BJJ so...

Crushing Step
09-30-2008, 09:16 AM
hey uki,

how about instead of writing about things, how about you show us you can do them.

talking is cheap.

Actions speak louder than words.

P.S. My stomach is just fine. How about your replicate my break and take full power shots to your ribs, sternum, solar plexus??

Maybe you will find out that pushing hands on bricks is not going to teach you how to take full power blows.

I know for a fact you cannot. as you are nothing more than a talker...

Cowardly mouthboxers seem to have become the rule instead of people who train their fu rather than post drek.

Hey Dale-

I don't know you, Uki, or anything about some apparent rivalry between you guys. As a user of this forum reading his posts, I took it simply as an anecdote about concrete, not at all as an attack on you or your iron palm training. In fact, without your post, I would know of no such rivalry.

If possible, I would respectfully suggest starting a new thread discussing the merits of your iron palm / iron body training. I for one am interested, having had some limited experience in iron body.

SimonM
09-30-2008, 09:45 AM
I don't think there is a rivalry between Dale and Uki...

It's just that Dale tends to defend himself on message boards that have been hostile to Iron... well Iron Anything in the past because of it's connection to unverifiable phenomena like Qi.... by attacking hard at anything that seems to challenge the veracity of his system. Uki's comments about breaking apparently do so. The fact that Uki is a total space case with a habit of inserting both feet firmly in his mouth and the fact that Uki simultaneously attacks breaking technique (of people other than himself, self proclaimed font of all knowledge) while promoting stuff like martial arts mastery sans-fighting (something that Dale does not espouse) probably exacerbated the situation somewhat.

TaichiMantis
09-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Also working on breaking them while in mid-air and while dancing the samba, but that is from BJJ so...

...I have no doubt you will conquer it :p

sanjuro_ronin
09-30-2008, 11:22 AM
...I have no doubt you will conquer it :p

I already have the sequence studded thong :D

SimonM
09-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Sanjuro Ronin breaks my brain.... :D

uki
09-30-2008, 01:48 PM
I don't think there is a rivalry between Dale and Uki...dale is my friend... he just doesn't realize this yet.

It's just that Dale tends to defend himself on message boards that have been hostile to Iron... well Iron Anything in the past because of it's connection to unverifiable phenomena like Qi.... being enraged and hurling insults sure strays far from being a well-reserved and competent martial artist...

by attacking hard at anything that seems to challenge the veracity of his system. hard? hahaha... he behaves more like a bully of sorts. "i have iron body-fist and i will smash thy puny earthling to pieces."

Uki's comments about breaking apparently do so.he's just looking for an excuse to play tough guy...

The fact that Uki is a total space case with a habit of inserting both feet firmly in his mouth and the fact that Uki simultaneously attacks breaking technique (of people other than himself, self proclaimed font of all knowledge) while promoting stuff like martial arts mastery sans-fighting (something that Dale does not espouse) probably exacerbated the situation somewhat.again it is all relative to perception... i laugh at the fact that people actually go and pay money to this guy who in turn behaves like a pouting child who can't live with the fact that other kids play at recess too... he would command my respect if his attitude were properly adjusted.

SimonM
09-30-2008, 01:54 PM
I wasn't suggesting that Dale's shoot-first response and tendency to bandy the word "coward" in every second post were endearing qualities.

I was attempting to explain to a third party that you two weren't bitter rivals continuing an online feud. Just a defensive iron body guy and a mouthy space cadet.

uki
09-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Just a defensive iron body guy...apparently he has issues with himself that need to be resolved...

and there is no talking on this forum, it's all in WRITING!!! if anything we are conversing through words written in posts... :D

SimonM
09-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Way to split hairs there Uki... that will certainly work towards reducing the view people have of you as a mouth-boxer.

Dale Dugas
09-30-2008, 02:26 PM
Uki seems to talk out of his backside and seems to hide who he is, who he has trained with, and yet seems to know everything when it comes to the martial arts.

Some of the space cadet comments make me wonder if he uses illegal drugs. His comments on the cop being killed while he was bouncing showed his true colors. an angry anti establishment geek who probably could not fight his way out of a paper bag.

He is the new troll here, and relishes the fact rather than realize the insult it truly carries.

I really do not have issues with him personally, just that I abhor people who spout the "I'm a cowardly little skinny stick propaganda" on and on and on when they should post way less and train way more.

Would love to play push hands with him on his bricks and see what kind of root he has. I can assure you that he will never be able to put his money where his mouth is.

Uki, Why not come out to the Zhang San Feng Festival where I teach every year and show me some of your wicked cool techniques. I can show you some as well.

I would rather train, than post such as yourself. I have been here since the beginning and have fewer posts than most. You have been here months and have almost half the amount.

Posting less and training more will do wonders for you.

Good luck in life, as you are obviously going to need it.

Yum Cha
09-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Nope, no spacers, have done 2 slabs, working on breaking them flat and standing up, also working on breaking them while holding one in onehand and breaking with the other.

I saw a guy once choke out 4 house bricks one handed, just left them laying there in a big pile afterwards, not a one of them woke up... scary...

TenTigers
09-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Some of the space cadet comments make me wonder if he uses illegal drugs. .
I bet you could become quite the space cadet without the use of illegal drugs.
there are many varieties of perfectly legal substance that will fry yer brain, um, I mean, allow one to reach altered states of conciousness.

Knifefighter
09-30-2008, 04:40 PM
... but there are still who break legitimately and even some who break unsupported standing on end.

LOL... I have yet to see the guy who does his fancy breaking demo be able to go out in the back and put his hand through a brick wall.

uki
09-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Uki seems to talk out of his backside and seems to hide who he is, who he has trained with, and yet seems to know everything when it comes to the martial arts. things can seem what they are in fact not.

Some of the space cadet comments make me wonder if he uses illegal drugs.define illegal einstein.

His comments on the cop being killed while he was bouncing showed his true colors. yeah, people get what they have coming to them.

an angry anti establishment geek who probably could not fight his way out of a paper bag.i notice you used the term probably because unconsciously deep down in your being you understand i speak the truth. i am a geek and i am anti-establishment... and i'd claw my way out of the bag.

He is the new troll here, and relishes the fact rather than realize the insult it truly carries.what, can't trolls be martial artists? my you are a discriminating little bald guy aren't you...

I really do not have issues with him personally, just that I abhor people who spout the "I'm a cowardly little skinny stick propaganda" on and on and on when they should post way less and train way more.how in hades do you know what i do all day knobby? really. how do you personally know what i do all day and how i go about doing it? answer a question for once.

Would love to play push hands with him on his bricks and see what kind of root he has.i would too... it is called learning and practice. i never claimed to better anyone in this forum.

I can assure you that he will never be able to put his money where his mouth is.i must admire your confidence.

Uki, Why not come out to the Zhang San Feng Festival where I teach every year and show me some of your wicked cool techniques. you mean like iron ball juggling and spinning iron bar? sure... so you'd know marilyn cooper, gary torres, pat brady, chris meister, and alan then? i don't pay to hang out and socialize with other high end seeking martial artists... some folks are too concerned about elaborating the ego. the best teachers don't have any students...

I can show you some as well.your malicious intent is quite obvious.

I would rather train, than post such as yourself.my entire day is paid training... i am a mason, i work everyday... paid training.

I have been here since the beginning and have fewer posts than most.most likely because you are too dimwitted to have anything interesting to say.

You have been here months and have almost half the amount. should i really respond?? okay... because i have lots more to share than you do. iron body and iron shirt have been around for ages... people need something new.

Posting less and training more will do wonders for you.at this point in the journey... training becomes obsolete...

Good luck in life, as you are obviously going to need it.well for starters i am way ahead of you considering i am not married... besides, i'm a tiger... luck is my lttle sister.:)

Akronviper
09-30-2008, 08:45 PM
LOL... I have yet to see the guy who does his fancy breaking demo be able to go out in the back and put his hand through a brick wall.

Apples and Oranges, he only needs to break your rib not the front of your house (Anyways the door or window would be easier unless their just showing off).

uki
09-30-2008, 09:18 PM
sometimes tearing is more effective than breaking...

Lucas
09-30-2008, 09:43 PM
sometimes tearing is more effective than breaking...

i prefer stabbing :cool:

bakxierboxer
10-01-2008, 01:45 AM
all depending on how it's used.....

All the while thoroughly/"adroitly(?)" (not) avoiding mentioning some word like "Si + Fu"?
(and its (not)antonym "Si + Mui")

sanjuro_ronin
10-01-2008, 04:11 AM
I saw a guy once choke out 4 house bricks one handed, just left them laying there in a big pile afterwards, not a one of them woke up... scary...

yes, its an advanced level BJJ move.

sanjuro_ronin
10-01-2008, 04:12 AM

You need to read more comic books, they do that all the time.

bakxierboxer
10-01-2008, 04:42 AM
yes, its an advanced level BJJ move.

Don't they spell that form of "brick" with a "p"?

bakxierboxer
10-01-2008, 04:44 AM
You need to read more comic books, they do that all the time.

Hey!
If he does that, he'll be around even less often than recently........

Oh.

sanjuro_ronin
10-01-2008, 04:55 AM
Hey!
If he does that, he'll be around even less often than recently........

Oh.

Ah, Dale is a good guy, he knows his stuff, even if he is a tad closed minded.
Its understandable though, he's been around for a long time and the longer you are around the more BS you see.
Jaded and all that.

bakxierboxer
10-01-2008, 05:24 AM
Ah, Dale is a good guy, he knows his stuff, even if he is a tad closed minded.

What makes you think that I noticed anything like that? :rolleyes:

Its understandable though, he's been around for a long time and the longer you are around the more BS you see.

{snort!}
What makes you think that I noticed anything like that? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jaded and all that.

I know a little bit about jade(d/s)....... :cool:

sanjuro_ronin
10-01-2008, 05:50 AM
Actually, this is a very interesting point, how can one be assured of consistant "tensile strength" in the objects ones choose to break?
Not really, but for arguments sake I will take the engineers "tensile strength" gauge to the local Home depot and measure out some of their patio stones, just for ****s and giggles and let you guys know.

Ok, so I went over to the local HD, I brought over on of our tensile stength gauges ( the smallest and cheapest one was the only one they let me take, but it measures up to 1000 psi so it should be more than adequate).
I got 10 pieces of those red 2 x 8 x 16 slabs.
I measured them lying on the floor then I got 2 cinder blocks and measured them suspended between the 2 blocks as one would have them for a break.
All but 1 took the max 1000psi rating on the gauge, in both tests.
I then asked the HD guy that was with me if it was OK if I broke the weak one and one of the other ones to see the difference, he said sure and asked if I needed a hammer, I told him in my besy Chicano voice:
I don't need no stinking hammer !
( By this time we are joined by another HD guy and 2 spectators)
I slap the week one and it breaks, I then place the other one and slap it, it breaks and there wasn't much difference in "give", but to be truthful that doesn't mean much.
The aggregate inside them looked the same so you really can't tell visually why one was "weaker" than the other.

TenTigers
10-01-2008, 07:10 AM
All the while thoroughly/"adroitly(?)" (not) avoiding mentioning some word like "Si + Fu"?
(and its (not)antonym "Si + Mui")

different character(hanji), same sound. In this case, fu means father, but it is not the character for man.

SimonM
10-01-2008, 07:35 AM
Uki makes a serious mistake - the mistake of assuming that participation in a counter-culture ultimately equates to a challenge to the status quo.

What I came to realize is that the formation of fashion-based counter cultures (as hippies, goths, and punks ultimately are expressions of fashion more than meaning) was actually a re-inforcement of the status quo. When people have culturally accepted forms of rebellion they get caught up believing they are DOing something important when all they are really doing is BUYing something.

The first prerequisite for true subversion of the establishment is reason.
Reason leads to scepticism. This provides us with the basis to think clearly about what must be DONE.

As an example:

Like Uki I question the veracity of law. This is because I challenge the veracity of natural law. As all law is of human origin it is bound by the same flaws that bind all human endeavor. We are not perfect; our laws are likewise not perfect. However, unlike Uki, I don't respond with a knee-jerk disobedience to law either. Some laws are very valid. Others are not. I will disregard laws when my reason, tempered by compassion, tells me that the law is flawed. I will not flaunt laws nor will I attack police officers who are simply people doing a job... one rather necessary in a society of specialists.

Uki: you are a tool. Literally. The very jerks you believe you rebel against are using you to shape people's impression of how they should rebel and to simultaneously discredit the dissident voices of society because it's easy to disregard flakes who believe that men in black are hiding the flying saucers because they are a sign that the world will end when a rogue planet soars through the solar system during a galactic alignment on dec. 21, 2012 or some other such nonsense.

Dale: you are also a tool. Haven't you learned yet that crying "coward" in an online martial arts forum lacks any sort of validity or class. Are you trying to provoke Uki into an e-challenge so that, when he inevitably doesn't show, you can taunt him further for that? Because that is what it looks like. And the old provoking an e-challenge tack is stale. And it doesn't prove you are hard. There are videos available of you taking shots. Those have been critiqued and you have supported their veracity adequately for a lot of people here on the forum to accept that you appear to be, at the very least, able to take a shot. That does not put you beyond all reproach though and you are doing some seriously uncool mouth boxing.

SimonM
10-01-2008, 07:36 AM
i prefer stabbing :cool:

Same here. :D

Knifefighter
10-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Apples and Oranges, he only needs to break your rib not the front of your house (Anyways the door or window would be easier unless their just showing off).

That's the point... breaking is simply showing off for the guys who don't actually know whether or not they could really break a rib. Notice how the guys in boxing, Muay Thai, and MMA who are actually out there breaking ribs for real don't have a need to show off and break bricks.

sanjuro_ronin
10-01-2008, 11:22 AM
That's the point... breaking is simply showing off for the guys who don't actually know whether or not they could really break a rib. Notice how the guys in boxing, Muay Thai, and MMA who are actually out there breaking ribs for real don't have a need to show off and break bricks.

You are missing all the fun we have breaking ****.
Abusing coconuts, watermelons, bricks, patio stones, vicious woodland creatures, mouthy neighbours...

Akronviper
10-01-2008, 03:30 PM

Muay Thai guys break bats with shin kicks, but bats do hit back :) (more advanced)

uki
10-01-2008, 03:58 PM
However, unlike Uki, I don't respond with a knee-jerk disobedience to law either. we are two different types of people.

Some laws are very valid. Others are not. I will disregard laws when my reason, tempered by compassion, tells me that the law is flawed. I will not flaunt laws nor will I attack police officers who are simply people doing a job... one rather necessary in a society of specialists.i simply ignore the laws and respect the fact that if i am to blantantly obvious i will attract the wrath of worldly punishments... yet i do not fear breaking the law. i too agree that the laws of men are as flawed as men.

Uki: you are a tool. Literally. of course i realize this. i signed up for the job.

The very jerks you believe you rebel against are using you to shape people's impression of how they should rebel and to simultaneously discredit the dissident voices of society because it's easy to disregard flakes who believe that men in black are hiding the flying saucers because they are a sign that the world will end when a rogue planet soars through the solar system during a galactic alignment on dec. 21, 2012 or some other such nonsense.i believe what i choose and what i wish. you give percieved reality too much credit... not all that is, is seen.

David Jamieson
10-01-2008, 07:19 PM
concrete isn't for breaking.

Its for construction and makes a good road surface.

Concrete will smash your head open faster than your head will smash concrete.

That's all there is to say about it really. :)

uki
10-01-2008, 08:24 PM
concrete isn't for breaking.yet the mere conversation about it has expanded horizons...

David Jamieson
10-02-2008, 03:32 AM
There is no shortage of things to muse on.

SimonM
10-02-2008, 06:25 AM
i believe what i choose and what i wish. you give percieved reality too much credit... not all that is, is seen.

Our perceptions are the only logical way to assess reality. Faith in things that are inaudible, intangible and invisible, things that we can not even verify exist, let alone that have an impact on us, leads only to delusion.

An existentialist question is: can we trust our senses?

Gautama Buddha believed conscious thought to represent nothing more than another sense. He also raised the question of whether senses can be trusted. However he and I differ in one way. In the end he said that senses are inherently untrustworthy and can lead to delusion. This included the sense of thought.

I believe rather that as any one sense (thought especially) can be deluded the best way to rise above delusion is through the cross-referencing of sensory data. Therefore objects that only arise to one sense (for example thought) and not to the other five are likely delusions to be dismissed as such. Likewise something that can be seen but not felt, heard, smelled, tasted or touched are most probably illusions. In these cases (ex: distant stars) the sense of thought, through the use of reason can help to determine whether what we are experiencing is an illusion or reality. The application of reason is, at a fundamental level, the observation of cause and effect. Combined with the ability of humanity to observe and identify patterns. It is not a perfect tool for assessing the reality or illusionary nature of sensory data but it is the best tool available. Reason tells us that, within the bounds of our ability to communicate intelligibly with others, the experience of stars shining in the sky at night is universal. We have tools that allow us to enhance our sense of sight that lets us observe that stars are not dissimmilar in appearance from the sun - which can be seen, felt and thought about and thus passes the test of sense cross-reference - and as such reason allows us to say that, barring new and more compelling data stars are in fact objects alike to the sun and a great distance away.

Gods, souls, angels, heavens, hells, what philosophers called natural law... these things MAY be able to be thought about (though certain mystical religious traditions actually deny the ability of a human to think about the totality of God) but do not pass the sensory cross-reference test. What does reincarnation taste like?

And so the skeptic admits there may be phenomena that we have not yet sensed. But those phenomena that arise only to the sense of thought are likely delusions thrown up. False sensory data with no correlation to events outside of our own skull. And thus, until such time as further data suggests the veracity of those phenomena they should be disregarded as being likely false and a hinderance to clear thought.

SimonM
10-02-2008, 01:22 PM
TTT, I really want to see what Uki has to say on this, honestly I do.

I'm lying, I really don't. But it's better than 1bad's thread being at the top.

Lucas
10-02-2008, 02:29 PM
I decided a long time ago, for myself, by myself, that I'm just going to wait till I die.

Either I'll figure out there is an after life, ill fizzle, or ill be reborn without recognition, or perhaps something no one has ever thought of.

to me, it doesnt really matter, im alive, right now. I live in the now, and I do what I feel is for the best.

Confucious' the golden mean is a good rule to follow regardless of what you believe. its just common sense, IMO. Confucious was one cool dude, judging by what his followers left us.

I dont not believe, I dont Do believe. I have my own thing going here, and I am quite content with that.

Yum Cha
10-02-2008, 05:02 PM
since we're on the topic of breaks, what about the chopstick break?

Hold a handfull of chopsticks in a fist, knuckles perpendicuar to the ground, thumb on top. Sticks extending from the top of the fist upward, thus, held tightly abound the bottom ends. (perhaps 10-20 sticks).

Thust fist forward, and stop, breaking all the sticks in half.

I know there must be a trick, anybody know what it is?

uki
10-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Our perceptions are the only logical way to assess reality.so why not have illogical perceptions?

Faith in things that are inaudible, intangible and invisible, things that we can not even verify exist, let alone that have an impact on us, leads only to delusion.so i take it you do not believe in the concept of chi... that would make one delusional.

An existentialist question is: can we trust our senses?no. but we can trust our intuitions...

Gautama Buddha believed conscious thought to represent nothing more than another sense. the sense of manifesting perceptions by the way of thinking about them.

He also raised the question of whether senses can be trusted. truly they cannot... look at mirages and other optical illusions... sight is but one sense.

However he and I differ in one way.yes. he was called a buddha.:p

In the end he said that senses are inherently untrustworthy and can lead to delusion. This included the sense of thought.thats why it is best to treat them like emotions... as a tool.

I believe rather that as any one sense (thought especially) can be deluded the best way to rise above delusion is through the cross-referencing of sensory data.actually i'd recommend LSD or shrooms for a real wallop to your perceived senses.

Therefore objects that only arise to one sense (for example thought) and not to the other five are likely delusions to be dismissed as such. Likewise something that can be seen but not felt, heard, smelled, tasted or touched are most probably illusions.i have heard light and seen sound... if it was an illusion, it was quite convincing.

In these cases (ex: distant stars) the sense of thought, through the use of reason can help to determine whether what we are experiencing is an illusion or reality.actually it is just a matter of listening to our intuitions... we are all spiritual beings having a human experience.

The application of reason is, at a fundamental level, the observation of cause and effect. and comprehending the manifestations of cause and effect is called understanding.

Combined with the ability of humanity to observe and identify patterns.only if you are looking for them... may people are oblvious to the patterns of life.

It is not a perfect tool for assessing the reality or illusionary nature of sensory data but it is the best tool available.finding your center and listening to your intuition is the best method available.

Reason tells us that, within the bounds of our ability to communicate intelligibly with others, the experience of stars shining in the sky at night is universal.which is why mankind in it's most advanced state communicates without words, but by thoughts.

We have tools that allow us to enhance our sense of sight that lets us observe that stars are not dissimmilar in appearance from the sun - which can be seen, felt and thought about and thus passes the test of sense cross-reference - and as such reason allows us to say that, barring new and more compelling data stars are in fact objects alike to the sun and a great distance away.a good example of observation...

Gods, souls, angels, heavens, hells, what philosophers called natural law... these things MAY be able to be thought about (though certain mystical religious traditions actually deny the ability of a human to think about the totality of God) but do not pass the sensory cross-reference test.all answers are in us, realizing this is called enlightenment.

What does reincarnation taste like?embryonic fluid.

And so the skeptic admits there may be phenomena that we have not yet sensed. you've sensed it, you just haven't comprehended it yet.

But those phenomena that arise only to the sense of thought are likely delusions thrown up. or really it may be your intuitions and you are so scared of them that you label them delusions.

False sensory data with no correlation to events outside of our own skull.unless of course you are illogically percieving them at odds with the rest of the world view.

And thus, until such time as further data suggests the veracity of those phenomena they should be disregarded as being likely false and a hinderance to clear thought.to fear change is to fear the way of nature...

SimonM
10-03-2008, 05:50 AM
so why not have illogical perceptions?

Because approaching our world-view in a systemically illogical way leads us to false assumptions and errors that can eventually become harmful to ourselves or others.

so i take it you do not believe in the concept of chi... that would make one delusional.

This is correct.

no. but we can trust our intuitions...

Intuition is simply unconscious processing of sensory data. It is no more or less trustworthy than conscious processing of sensory data. It can be right or wrong.

actually i'd recommend LSD or shrooms for a real wallop to your perceived senses.
i have heard light and seen sound... if it was an illusion, it was quite convincing.
actually it is just a matter of listening to our intuitions... we are all spiritual beings having a human experience.

Well, hey, it worked for Syd Barrett right? :rolleyes:

all answers are in us, realizing this is called enlightenment.

Your mistake is assuming you know all the answers. This draws you away from enlightenment.

or really it may be your intuitions and you are so scared of them that you label them delusions.

My intuition and I are on good terms largely because I understand what intuition is. Gee, bet you wish you had taken even an intro-psychology course... no, wait, I forgot... Learning is bad because only answers you make up for yourself are true.

unless of course you are illogically percieving them at odds with the rest of the world view.

to fear change is to fear the way of nature...

This is a non-sequitur. Clearly you received false sensory data with regards to what I actually said. Perhaps you have to lay off the LSD.

TaichiMantis
10-03-2008, 06:02 AM
Wow....kings of the multi-quote! ;)

SimonM
10-03-2008, 06:35 AM
Wow
Yes, Wow.

....kings

King? I am the emperor!

of the

Ok, let's see where you are going with this...

multi-quote! ;)

**** Straight! :D

uki
10-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Because approaching our world-view in a systemically illogical way leads us to false assumptions and errors that can eventually become harmful to ourselves or others.yet you say the same thing about approaching it in a logical way.

Perhaps you have to lay off the LSD.sh!t... it's been like a year and a half now... though this hasn't been the longest wait; just before the last time i waited 5 years and finally tripped with my mom, who hadn't done it in 15 years... we had a blast. awesome stuff, just have to respect it and have your sh!t together, otherwise it'll be an eternity of hell for approxamitely 12 hours.:)

SimonM
10-03-2008, 12:37 PM
I said that logic helps to mitigate those errors. I admit it does not eliminate them. But fewer errors is better than more errors. Therefore approching the world logically is better than approaching it illogically.

Lucas
10-03-2008, 12:39 PM
what if you approach it with logical illogicality?

uki
10-03-2008, 12:40 PM
I said that logic helps to mitigate those errors. I admit it does not eliminate them. But fewer errors is better than more errors. Therefore approching the world logically is better than approaching it illogically.yet apparently you are basing this on a logical way of thinking.

SimonM
10-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Of course. How else would one reasonably assess the problem?

uki
10-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Of course. How else would one reasonably assess the problem?perhaps by focusing on the solution.

SimonM
10-03-2008, 06:29 PM
That is precisely what Logic is... or has your LSD addled mind lost it's ability to retain long-term memories to the point that you have completely forgotten like... four posts back.

uki
10-03-2008, 07:21 PM
That is precisely what Logic is... or has your LSD addled mind lost it's ability to retain long-term memories to the point that you have completely forgotten like... four posts back.what were we conversing about again? :p

SimonM
10-04-2008, 05:34 AM
The substance that your head is made out of...

Concrete. :p

uki
10-04-2008, 10:11 AM
The substance that your head is made out of... Concrete. might not be too far off... i once hit myself directly in the left temple with the end of my 21 lb iron bar while swinging it around one day... i also hit myself in the left ear with my iron staff... the force of the strike smashed my hearing aide in my ear. :)

The Willow Sword
10-04-2008, 03:52 PM
I have used this phrase often here when my detractors have gone for my literary throat.

""Whatever you think i am or want me to be i AM.""

I would apply this to Uki. As for what i think Uki is? Well Uki is Uki. The Screename itself in terms of martial arts means "Floating"(japanese terminology). So i wonder if Uki is just floating through here and will be gone soon.
As for what i want Uki to be, well i dont want Uki to be anything other than Uki really. In all honesty i think Uki is a controvert and a clown. They are some of my favorite personality types and people. Controverts and clowns are powerful healers and lesson givers. They teach people not to be so fukin serious all the time. There is a time for seriousness,but seems like there is little time for humour and opposites these days. I cling to the humour and the opposites. As "Men of Knowledge" as most of here are, or seekers of it anyway(whether we wish to realize it or not) i think we lose sight of the humour and the laughter, even in the face of all the "seriousness" on these threads and in the world.

Peace and pizza f@rts, TWS:D

uki
10-04-2008, 10:51 PM
i have learned that being too serious, too often, leads to too much stress... i have also learned that laughter is by far the greatest tool for healing on any level; if you are not laughing, you are missing the point of living... :)

uki
03-04-2009, 12:42 PM
*bump* :p

forgive me dale... i just saw your latest post and i just had to do it. nothing personal buddy. :)

sanjuro_ronin
03-04-2009, 12:47 PM
*bump* :p

forgive me dale... i just saw your latest post and i just had to do it. nothing personal buddy. :)

**** disturber.

I get my patio blocks and bricks at the Home depot.
Good enough for me.
Some break easy, some harder than others, which is to be expected.
The "secret" to IP breaks is in the effort, anyone can power through bricks and slabs, just have to like pain ;), but doing it with minimal effort is what makes for good IP.

uki
03-04-2009, 12:52 PM
**** disturber.LOL

take a lesson from agriculture... you need to till the ground, mix in some fresh poop, and rotate the crops in order to ensure proper productivity yields. :D

David Jamieson
03-04-2009, 01:05 PM
LOL

take a lesson from agriculture... you need to till the ground, mix in some fresh poop, and rotate the crops in order to ensure proper productivity yields. :D

it's also helpful when you pull weeds and burn them in a pile.

sanjuro_ronin
03-04-2009, 01:08 PM
LOL

Your issues with Dale, and his with you it seems, stem from tha fact that you are two very different people.
Dale is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, Gene can vouch for that, he just has ZERO tolerance for people that make claims and are not willing to back them up.
You, on the other hand, love to make claims and NOT back them up, just to **** people off !
LMAO !!

sanjuro_ronin
03-04-2009, 01:11 PM
it's also helpful when you pull weeds and burn them in a pile.

Speaking of Weed, two units down from where I work, the cops busted a grow-op just about 2 hours ago !
SWEET !!!
No wonder I h ave been so mellow as of late !!
:D

uki
03-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Your issues with Dale, and his with you it seems, stem from tha fact that you are two very different people.i could've swore i knew his chinese zodiac sign... *scratching chin*

Dale is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, Gene can vouch for that, he just has ZERO tolerance for people that make claims and are not willing to back them up.i am not saying he isn't a nice guy, but his posts are a wee bit hostile.

You, on the other hand, love to make claims and NOT back them up, just to **** people off !
LMAO !!correct me if i am wrong, but i have never made any claims on my martial ability aside from the fact that i train for self-defense and i would do my best to rip apart anyone attempting to harm my family... and yes, i do like to rile people up... you know my sons middle name is riil(pronounced rile), i chose it specifically for that meaning. :D

sanjuro_ronin
03-04-2009, 01:31 PM
i am not saying he isn't a nice guy, but his posts are a wee bit hostile.

Wee nothing, there is nothing WEE about Dale !!
LOL !!

correct me if i am wrong, but i have never made any claims on my martial ability aside from the fact that i train for self-defense and i would do my best to rip apart anyone attempting to harm my family... and yes, i do like to rile people up... you know my sons middle name is riil(pronounced rile), i chose it specifically for that meaning.

Actually, you may be right, sorry if I spoke out of turn.
What is it with people and strange name for their kids?
At least you didn't name him Apple.

uki
03-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Wee nothing, there is nothing WEE about Dale !!
LOL !!well his communication skill is one for starters...

Actually, you may be right, sorry if I spoke out of turn.
What is it with people and strange name for their kids?
At least you didn't name him Apple.here they all are if you'd like to know...

jesjka lyn

myr'ina mae

rivin riil

i didn't want to name them something that was already out there... too many bobs, steves, joe's and davids these days. :D

sanjuro_ronin
03-04-2009, 01:41 PM
well his communication skill is one for starters...
here they all are if you'd like to know...

jesjka lyn

myr'ina mae

rivin riil

i didn't want to name them something that was already out there... too many bobs, steves, joe's and davids these days. :D

What's your background if I may ask?

My little ones are Sofia Isabella (gonna be 6) and Marisa Alesandra ( 19months).

uki
03-04-2009, 01:45 PM
What's your background if I may ask?i'm a mutt... german, dutch, irish, welsh, scottish, polish, and cherokee...

My little ones are Sofia Isabella (gonna be 6) and Marisa Alesandra ( 19months).nice... very spanish it seems.

mine are 8, 4, and 22 months.

sanjuro_ronin
03-04-2009, 01:48 PM
i'm a mutt... german, dutch, irish, welsh, scottish, polish, and cherokee...
nice... very spanish it seems.

mine are 8, 4, and 22 months.

Portuguese actually, though we have Spanish blood too.

Nice to have a family eh?

Lucas
03-04-2009, 01:49 PM
mutts of the world unite!!!!

i share a couple of your bloods there uki.

i like to think that us mutts are the next stage in evolution. ALL OF THE STRENGTHS, just dont mention the weaknesses ok.

uki
03-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Nice to have a family eh?my kids saved me from my younger path of self destruction... if it weren't for my children to bring a proper perspective to my priorities in life, i would've been dead a long time ago.

yes it is wonderful to have a family and would do anything and everything to protect it... i had a rough life growing up and there isn't much i cannot handle or endure.

i like to think that us mutts are the next stage in evolution. ALL OF THE STRENGTHS, just dont mention the weaknesses ok.you speak wisely... do some research into the hopi prophecies regarding the children of the rainbow. :)

Drake
03-04-2009, 02:00 PM
I once got percostet... completely legit prescription by the Army. That stuff TOOK ME OUT AND BOUGHT ME ICE CREAM. :D:D:eek:

uki
03-04-2009, 02:04 PM
I once got percostet... completely legit prescription by the Army. That stuff TOOK ME OUT AND BOUGHT ME ICE CREAM.i must admit... i have had a few perc's and they are quite nice.

Gru Bianca
03-04-2009, 06:59 PM
What's your background if I may ask?

My little ones are Sofia Isabella (gonna be 6) and Marisa Alesandra ( 19months).

My daughter's name is Isabella too (2 and 1/2 years) and my son's name is Alessandro (4 months)

...Latins:D

Drake
03-04-2009, 07:31 PM
i must admit... i have had a few perc's and they are quite nice.

It didn't help that I was in AIT (the school after basic training) at the time, and the drill sergeant came in looking for me... I don't remember what I said to him from my bunk, but (according to eyewitnesses) he walked off with the strangest look on his face...

sanjuro_ronin
03-05-2009, 06:51 AM
My daughter's name is Isabella too (2 and 1/2 years) and my son's name is Alessandro (4 months)

...Latins:D

We rule bro :D

uki
10-17-2009, 05:21 PM
i noticed someone looking at this... :p

uki
10-21-2009, 01:36 AM
sitting here with my morning tea i was musing over a good way too screw up someones day... LOL... make concrete "breaking" slabs, but sneak in two rips of 1/2 inch rebar. it would be interesting to see if people could still break the slabs... LMAO!!! i bet it could cause a few heads to scratch if they were not aware of it before hand. :D