PDA

View Full Version : why we train.

uki
09-30-2008, 08:30 PM
regardless of why we began our training, or what we have done with it, in the end it comes down to why we do it... why we put up with the ridicule, the arguments, the competition... what gives us a reason to endure?

for me, i am a king... i have built a kingdom. i am looked up to as a source of inspiration, of comfort, a source for answers... for me it's not about breaking concrete or winning fights, it's about setting an example for those who may choose to follow in my footsteps... here is what gives me the courage and the strength to face the day being who i am, http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff350/mossjuice/Picture-various133.jpg... what is your cup of tea?

uki
09-30-2008, 08:34 PM
and my son... http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff350/mossjuice/Picture-various097.jpg

CLFLPstudent
09-30-2008, 09:26 PM
cute kids.

you still act like an *******.

-David

Lucas
09-30-2008, 09:36 PM
I began my training for a few reasons.

1, in my teenage years I seemed to get into a lot of trouble, i lived on the streets off and on for 5 years and had been in a few bad situations. Ive had my ass kicked pretty hard a couple of times, I will say Ive dished out a bit of damage as well, but I never liked the feeling of helplessness when you are getting kicked and hit by multiple people.

2, my love of weapons are what initially got me involved in the martial arts. ive always been fond of melee weapons of pretty much any kind, and wanted to get closer to these tools. part of the reason I chose to study chinese martial arts as well. my favorite are knives and nunchaku, funny because I always saw bruce lee with "nunchucks" so i looked for some kungfu, and later found they were more prominent in JMA/KMA. So for the past long while ive been teaching myself nunchaku as I havent found a teacher of them, and at this point, I dont feel I need one.

3, like a lot of people i needed a form of discipline. growing up in a broken home with no roll models, I was on my own from the age of 15 and never really learned much dedication aside from skateboarding.

in current times my reasons for continuing to practice martial arts have changed dramatically. today i practice because in the process of learning how to fight i found a joy and love in martial arts i havnt found in anything else in life other than skating. i am a hobbiest, i do not compete at an amature or pro level, though i personally dont think this makes me any less serious, I just have different goals. i dont know what the future holds, but for me at this point, sparring and practicing with individuals along my martial journey is enough for me. I enjoy having a variety of people throughout the years to experiment with on a level in tune with learning and growing.

i am not a confrontational or competative person by nature. though i like the idea of being able to defend myself when the situations arise. since ive started practicing there have been very few times when i have had to defend myself, none of the situations turned into a bloody fight with one man standing over another in triumph.

i generally always have a weapon on me. 3 times i have had to make known I had a weapon, 2 of those 3 times the people decided i wasnt worth the trouble, when i produced a blade and asked if they really wanted to continue. the other, the person didnt appear to notice the skate board in my hand until it hit him on his meth infused head. (ever see that stalone movie Cobra? I used to carry that knife (the cobra) on a daily basis, and have pulled it once (http://davidssportinggoods.com/images/knives_cobra.jpg) )

I enjoy martial arts for my life. I will NEVER begin a physical confrontation out in the world, i dont believe i have any reason to (defense of myself, loved ones, or those weaker in need are a different matter), thus if someone is to approach me in this manner, i will react with the maximum force available to me. likely a weapon. I will not play fair, and if you try to oppress me I will do my best to maim, incapacitate, or kill you. if i feel that my chances of incapacitating you are slim, i will go for the kill. this is not some, my kungfu is so deadly boast, but simply the truth of how i view human interaction, and the fact that I do indeed carry at least one blade on me at all times possible. This mentality in me can best be summed up by the old saying;

"let him graze you as you pound his flesh, let him pound your flesh as you break his bones, let him break your bones as you take his life"

empty hand combat is a last resort for me. i would rather have someone walk away from a knife than think its worth anything to cross hands in a violent nature. in my personal life experience, every confrontation I have been in there has been either time to (a) run, or (b) pull a weapon. Never have i been jumped from the shadows, or from around a corner by suprise for no reason. Not saying it cant happen, but thats a slim chance. if he pulls a superior weapon, well, he would have had that were i unarmed or not. never expect honor.

Thus, I train my kungfu for fun and because at this point, its just part of who i am. I enjoy the personal challenges. I enjoy the exercise. I enjoy the feeling of gaining more expertise and power martially. Part of what I love most about training is at the end of the day, when I lie my head down on my pillow and fall asleep to the feeling of my body being worked out and my mind being tested and knowing I have discovered something new that day about myself.

uki
10-01-2008, 03:40 AM
cute kids.thanks. something tells me i might be in for it when they get older.

you still act like an *******.
one of the greatest lessons i learned was from the toltec teachings... do not take anything personally. :)

sanjuro_ronin
10-01-2008, 04:07 AM
Why I still train, after 30 years this October?
Well, because I like it, but that is the reason I train, period.
Why do I train MA?
Same reason I started MA.
Protection of those that can't protect themselves.
That is why my MA training is not just empty handed but edge and impact weapons too.
And yes, firearms.

uki
10-01-2008, 04:41 AM
Protection of those that can't protect themselves.
another white blood cell of humanity. amen.

sanjuro_ronin
10-01-2008, 04:56 AM
another white blood cell of humanity. amen.

Not really sure what you mean by this, though I was a peacekeeper in Bosnia with the Canadian Armed forces.

Ray Pina
10-01-2008, 05:24 AM
My father took me to his co-workers dojo when I was 4. Training was always a part of my life. When I stopped in high-school and later in college I played football, then surfed.

Surfing is very close to martial arts mentally and spiritually.

MasterKiller
10-01-2008, 06:05 AM
And we have uki:

http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff350/mossjuice/?action=view&current=IMG_0793.jpg

Things are becoming so clear....

sanjuro_ronin
10-01-2008, 06:11 AM
And we have uki:

http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff350/mossjuice/?action=view&current=IMG_0793.jpg

Oh my...well....

SimonM
10-01-2008, 07:57 AM
Why do I train?

Because I like it.

Crushing Step
10-01-2008, 08:12 AM
And we have uki:

You've got to admit he's a scary looking dude. And the way he handles his balls, well, I'm just not going there...

:D

sanjuro_ronin
10-01-2008, 08:16 AM
You've got to admit he's a scary looking dude. And the way he handles his balls, well, I'm just not going there...

LMAO !
That deserves this:

David Jamieson
10-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Well, I suppose there are plenty of ways to spend time in our lives.

Training a martial art seems like a useful skill to have.
Of course, other skill development is good too, such as musicianship, penmanship, creative writing, chemistry, astronomy, cooking (mmm cooking).

I suppose one can find their kungfu in anything.

But I wouldn't call cooking martial arts and I wouldn't call all training martial arts either.

one can enhance martial arts training with lifting and strength development and all sorts of uses of various devices. But, it's not martial until its martial and that's all there is to it really.

uki
10-01-2008, 07:30 PM
a soup with no spice is bland indeed...

David Jamieson
10-01-2008, 07:38 PM
calling bread "soup" doesn't change the fact that it is bread.

uki
10-01-2008, 07:43 PM
But I wouldn't call cooking martial arts.i must beg to differ. finding yourself a respected cook of sorts can lead you to areas of blind trust... with the knowledge of medicinal, edible, and poisonous plants, along with mushrooms, one can become extremely proficient in an area of martial arts that tends to be ignored... opponents can be eliminated via the natural activity of eating... a few sprinkles of amanita virosa can ensure a whole months worth of pain and agony while the liver and kidneys cease to function due to the inhibition of RNA synthesis...

David Jamieson
10-02-2008, 03:34 AM
While stretching ones head can bring new ideas. Not all of them can be applied with readiness unless it is a scripted premise.

scripted premise is not martial arts.

SoCo KungFu
10-02-2008, 04:17 AM
LMAO !
That deserves this:

**** Ronin, you always seem to top yourself don't you. Hmm hot chick AND bubble wrap! That's just more fun than god should allow haha

Ray Pina
10-02-2008, 05:47 AM
I think Uki's back yard seems mad chill and spacious.

sanjuro_ronin
10-02-2008, 05:50 AM
While stretching ones head can bring new ideas. Not all of them can be applied with readiness unless it is a scripted premise.

scripted premise is not martial arts.

Stretching ones head exposes ones neck.

sanjuro_ronin
10-02-2008, 05:50 AM
**** Ronin, you always seem to top yourself don't you. Hmm hot chick AND bubble wrap! That's just more fun than god should allow haha

I always try to take to the next level !

SimonM
10-02-2008, 06:05 AM
i must beg to differ. finding yourself a respected cook of sorts can lead you to areas of blind trust... with the knowledge of medicinal, edible, and poisonous plants, along with mushrooms, one can become extremely proficient in an area of martial arts that tends to be ignored... opponents can be eliminated via the natural activity of eating... a few sprinkles of amanita virosa can ensure a whole months worth of pain and agony while the liver and kidneys cease to function due to the inhibition of RNA synthesis...

Uki the more I read from you the more I am of the opinion that you do not think before you type... at all.

Knowlege of poison is not a worthy part of martial arts. Poison is the tool of weaklings and (watch for it Dale) cowards.

And you know that I don't use that term lightly... in fact I reserve it for precisely two types of people: abusers of women and children and poisoners.

sanjuro_ronin
10-02-2008, 06:14 AM
Poisons...*shakes head*
Silly kids playing with things they shouldn't.
I say kids in regards to the mental development.
Many old time MA had poison as a sub-system, the real ninjutsu schools come to mind, but it was dishonorable then as it is now.
One can make it part of ones knowledge base for many reason, knowing about poisons allows one to know about the cures.
Nevertheless, to easy to be abused.
Of course the net is full of information if one chooses to look for it.
Still, poisons are truly the "weapon" of the coward.

David Jamieson
10-02-2008, 07:21 AM
ninja were often hired by samurai to do things that were dishonourable.

ninjas were the dirty deeds done dirt cheap guys of their time.

real face on skeelz were the territory of samurai.

ninja were like low class scum back stabbers.

nowadays they are fantasy dress up characters at play camps where everyone gets to wear a hallowe'en costume and pretend they are deadly. There ain't a military in the world that really bothers with any of their stuff.

true story.

sanjuro_ronin
10-02-2008, 07:29 AM

nowadays they are fantasy dress up characters at play camps where everyone gets to wear a hallowe'en costume and pretend they are deadly. There ain't a military in the world that really bothers with any of their stuff.

true story.

True Story,
I once was about to kill a Ninja but I recalled that only a ninja can kill a ninja so I let him live, just in case anyone would think me a Ninja.
That kind of shame would cause me to commit seppuku !!

Kevin Huang
10-02-2008, 07:43 AM
Some people (i.e. myself) just HAVE to train.

We can't necessarily explain why.

golden arhat
10-02-2008, 01:51 PM
to protect myself

to pretect those i love

or as throwdown puts it

"for myself for my friends for my family, forever i'l take this to the bitter end."

oh the melodrama

and i always figured uki would be some dread locked up hippie, the pot head doesnt deserve kids.

uki
10-02-2008, 02:40 PM
and i always figured uki would be some dread locked up hippie, the pot head doesnt deserve kids.seems you were abit off in your assertations... if i didn't deserve children i wouldn't have them.:)

uki
10-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Uki the more I read from you the more I am of the opinion that you do not think before you type... at all.i just let it flow thru the finger tips... much like freeform exppression.

Knowlege of poison is not a worthy part of martial arts. it helps if you are the victim of poisoning... antidotes, vital information...

Poison is the tool of weaklings and (watch for it Dale) cowards.depends on the situation... but let's take a certain scenario... your country or way of life is overrun by ignorant soldiers of a military aggression, an occupying force... you happen to be in charge of the soldiers meals due to your grand facade co-operation... perfect opportunity to adhere to the concept of destroying your enemy from within. knowledge is not evil, but it is power... it's the use of knowledge that can be abused and lead to evil intent.

And you know that I don't use that term lightly... in fact I reserve it for precisely two types of people: abusers of women and children and poisoners.perhaps... but you have a too narrow-minded approach regardless. :)

David Jamieson
10-02-2008, 06:50 PM
True Story,
I once was about to kill a Ninja but I recalled that only a ninja can kill a ninja so I let him live, just in case anyone would think me a Ninja.
That kind of shame would cause me to commit seppuku !!

...also, you can't kill what's not there. *throws cape over head and runs around the corner*

uki
10-02-2008, 08:12 PM
...also, you can't kill what's not there. *throws cape over head and runs around the corner*
if you weren't there how can you throw a cape over your shoulder and disappear?

SimonM
10-03-2008, 07:51 AM
depends on the situation... but let's take a certain scenario... your country or way of life is overrun by ignorant soldiers of a military aggression, an occupying force... you happen to be in charge of the soldiers meals due to your grand facade co-operation... perfect opportunity to adhere to the concept of destroying your enemy from within.

No, that's still cowardly. And disgusting. Poisoners are the worst sort of scum.

MightyB
10-03-2008, 11:56 AM

true story.

Ninja's were samurai, samurai were ninja... Ninjitsu was a classification of techniques- mostly based on Sun Tzu. (the use of agents). Read http://www.amazon.com/Lone-Samurai-Martial-Arts/dp/1854091441/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223059840&sr=8-1

Basically the lines were blurred. A Samurai would resort to Ninja like tactics when it suited him... things like wearing their enemies colors to get behind their lines. The use of Shuriken, Shaken, and Caltrops. The use of Chains, Kasuri Gami, etc. The flinging of darts and blades for distraction during a sword fight. The use of disguises... Samurai would do it all to win. Read your Japanese history. Slicing throats in the night- disguising themselves as merchants or women to get close to an enemy or to escape...

sanjuro_ronin
10-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Many of the most ancient and respected Koryu systems teach Ninjutsu as a sub'system, the TSKSR and the Yagyu-Shinkage ryu are two, the Takenoguchi is another.

Lucas
10-03-2008, 12:09 PM
kunoichi could be some of the most successfull assassins as well. easily lured to.

the employment of poisons are for assassinations, or back up as you would, to make sure your blade killed.

one can say that poisonings are a cowards work, thus assassins are cowards by this mindset. im not an assassin so im not sure. i would bet a lot of men who had to use poisons to meet their objective would have been just fine dueling, but were not able to achieve that, not necissarily cowards, just forced into a deployment of poisons based on circumstance. thus to achieve your goal, you do what is necessary. sometimes poison, sometimes a deadly *****, sometimes an arrow. it depends on the situation. depending on circumstances, one might be honored for the successfull deployment of poisons. remember it more dishonorable not to achieve your goal than to achieve it at all costs.

You cannot always just challenge a heavily guarded leader to a 1 on 1 duel. sometimes to further your daimyo's goals you needed to use assassinations. often times this involved enemy infiltration and the use of poisons to meet your goal.

of course this isnt feudal japan. and likely not to many of us are contracted to assassinate any high profile targets.

though if thats your job....who can say. is poison any more cowardly than a sniper rifle? both kill from an unseen vantage, without knowing the one dealing the death.

uki
10-03-2008, 12:18 PM
is poison any more cowardly than a sniper rifle? both kill from an unseen vantage, without knowing the one dealing the death.very nice comparison...

sanjuro_ronin
10-06-2008, 04:53 AM
though if thats your job....who can say. is poison any more cowardly than a sniper rifle? both kill from an unseen vantage, without knowing the one dealing the death.

Hey !!
:mad:

uki
10-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Hey !!i am beginning to visualize your peacekeeping missions.:p

David Jamieson
10-06-2008, 09:32 AM
snipers in the armed forces are given their targets.

The targets know they are targets.

If they do not make provisions, they can be killed in any number of ways.

In context, no one here is sniping or poisoning anyone, so that's off track.

I think outside of those who are ex-mil or currently in service, no one here has actually killed anyone anyway, so this is all just loose talk. Heck, there are even plenty of people in active service who have never killed anyone.

Change the subject. :)

sanjuro_ronin
10-06-2008, 09:35 AM
snipers in the armed forces are given their targets.

The targets know they are targets.

If they do not make provisions, they can be killed in any number of ways.

In context, no one here is sniping or poisoning anyone, so that's off track.

I think outside of those who are ex-mil or currently in service, no one here has actually killed anyone anyway, so this is all just loose talk. Heck, there are even plenty of people in active service who have never killed anyone.

Change the subject. :)

Correct, Not to mention that many targets are NOT living targets.
People always seem to forget that, they always think that its about capping someone at 1000 yards out.
It doesn't take much imagination to to see the damage a 50 caliber bullet can do to a 30 million dollar piece of machinery.

uki
10-06-2008, 09:41 AM
It doesn't take much imagination to to see the damage a 50 caliber bullet can do to a 30 million dollar piece of machinery.or a five dollar flea-market knife to a couple of engine hoses...

sanjuro_ronin
10-06-2008, 09:43 AM
or a five dollar flea-market knife to a couple of engine hoses...

A five dollar knife wielded by a millon dollar trained spec ops person, you don't think that you can just walk up and do it, do you?
Movies are called fantasy for a reason.

PlumDragon
10-06-2008, 09:49 AM
why we put up with the ridicule, the arguments, the competition... what gives us a reason to endure?Serious hard work and a teacher who can keep you humble is good, but I dont personally feel that ridicule, arguments, etc are necessary, and they only detract from a good, healthy, environment that seeks to develop and thrive. If this sort of thing (petty lineage battles, negative commentary that distracts from learning, arguments, ridicule, etc), exists in someones training, outside of forums like this, perhaps its time to go somewhere else.

what is your cup of tea?For me, I think it all boils down to 2 things:
- Am I learning, developing in a noticeable way, producing new skills and meeting goals, getting a good workout, being pushed?
- Am I having a good time?

As long as I am meeting both of those requirements, I will always keep training in martial arts.

uki
10-06-2008, 11:18 AM
A five dollar knife wielded by a millon dollar trained spec ops person, you don't think that you can just walk up and do it, do you?i was simply making a comparison on how easy it is to disable a multi-million dollar vehicle, besides you never specified that you were shooting at military vehicles.

Movies are called fantasy for a reason.i do my best to live with the belief that all things are possible.

SimonM
10-06-2008, 11:23 AM
So does your belief include acceptance of the possibility that you are systemically wrong in many of your opinions?

sanjuro_ronin
10-06-2008, 11:28 AM
i was simply making a comparison on how easy it is to disable a multi-million dollar vehicle, besides you never specified that you were shooting at military vehicles.
i do my best to live with the belief that all things are possible.

Point taken for the first part as for the second...I think you mean all things are probable ?

uki
10-06-2008, 03:20 PM
I think you mean all things are probable ?well i suppose you could say probable, but i mean all things are possible in the sense that in a freewill universe such as this one, nothing is impossible.

So does your belief include acceptance of the possibility that you are systemically wrong in many of your opinions?that depends on wether or not one believes in opinions and adhere's to dualistic thought concepts such as right and wrong.

sanjuro_ronin
10-07-2008, 04:40 AM
well i suppose you could say probable, but i mean all things are possible in the sense that in a freewill universe such as this one, nothing is impossible.

Well, possible within the realm of physics, sure.

SimonM
10-07-2008, 06:52 AM
that depends on wether or not one believes in opinions and adhere's to dualistic thought concepts such as right and wrong.

I will take that as a no.

So, in other words: According to you anything is possible except the possibility that you are wrong.

David Jamieson
10-07-2008, 03:15 PM
all things are not possible.

not even in the realm of physics...which has a huge chunk taht is strictly theoretical.

What is a free will universe?

Is that like where you're a hobo?

You can make decisions every day I guess, but do you really have choices?

uki
10-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Well, possible within the realm of physics, sure.and the realm of physics is directly related to our realm of experience.

I will take that as a no.what is yes and no?

So, in other words: According to you anything is possible except the possibility that you are wrong.what is possible and impossible? transcend the dualism...

all things are not possible.why would you limit your beliefs?

not even in the realm of physics...which has a huge chunk taht is strictly theoretical.how do you come by this assumption? the concept of differential equations comes to mind here...

What is a free will universe?a freewill universe is one where there is no limitation to the manifestation of energy and expressions of it.

Is that like where you're a hobo?it is wise to live simply day by day...

You can make decisions every day I guess, but do you really have choices?it's all part of that dualistic nature of opposites... once you transcend dualism, you realize that everything is progressing according simply to the way of nature... all things have there purpose and everything happens for a reason.

David Jamieson
10-07-2008, 03:33 PM
lol.

just keep eating those shrooms bud...they seem to be working for you. :rolleyes:

uki
10-07-2008, 03:43 PM
lol.

just keep eating those shrooms bud...they seem to be working for you. why do you think i haven't stopped yet? by the way it's big laughing season here in the northeast, gymnopilus spectabilis, found growing on tree stumps, buried roots, and fallen timber, usually paper birch, not to be confused with the jack'o'latern(omphalotus olearnius) which also is bright orange and glows in the dark... that one makes you quite sick for a few days, or so i have heard. big laughing gyms were named so in japan because there ingestion causes foolish behaviour and unmotivated laughter.:)