PDA

View Full Version : Ftw

TenTigers
10-01-2008, 07:59 AM
Many people have the utmost respect for authority.
All authority.
Teachers, Doctors, Policemen,Politicians,the Government,Church,etc.
"They know what's right, we don't." Seems to be thier views.
Some people, no matter what their age, need to be held by the hand, and told what to do. Even when Mommy isn't there.

Trust your Sifu, he knows what's right for you.
Yes, and no.
If he knows what he is doing-really knows,then you should trust him-you won't know this yourself, until you are at a level of understanding-catch-22.
If he is cluless, ego-driven,etc. then I would have to say no.

Trust your Doctor.
Yes and no.
Some doctors healers, others are money driven. I know of several cut-happy orthopedic surgeons who's motto is,"Book surgery, book surgery,book surgery."
Some doctors are not up on integrative medicine. Holistic medicine,TCM, etc
The American Medical Association and the FDA is controlled/influenced by the pharmaceutical companies. Many much needed drugs such as orphan drugs, and leatrile are not only ignored, in some cases, they are illegal.

Trust the Gov't. Trust the Police.
Yes and no. Some people want to be able to make a difference it this world, and they hope for positive change. Some want money and power. Some people want to serve and protect. Some want a gun and a badge.
Look at Gun control:
The argument for gun control always boils down to this:
Americans don't need to own guns.
They don't need to protect themselves from crime.
That's what the police are for.
Take away guns, and we will all be safer from violent crimes.
-opens up a can of worms.

If it's illegal, then it's wrong/bad.
Yes and no. Laws are there to govern and protect,
and control the masses.And tell us what to do.
Sometimes a good thing, sometimes not, but a knee-jerk reaction is not governed by thought. It's governed by training.

Trust the Church(Organized Religion leadership)
(not with my kid!)
Man cannot concieve of an infinite universe, let alone the concept of a creative force/conciousness. The questions of who we are, why we are here, the riddle of the universe, is so deep that it scares and confuses many people.
Therefore, we need an authority figure to hold our hands. We need an anthropomorphic God,Buddha,or Jesus. We need Popes, Priests, and Rabbis to interpet the universe, God's plan,divine scripture,etc
and tell us what to do.

So, are we trusted to make our own decisions? Apparently not-according to the Authority figures..
And in many cases,not everyone can.
Nobody wants anarchy. We need laws.
But where does,"It's for your own good" start and stop?

what are your views?

( I can decide for myself, but I'm smarter than you);)

SimonM
10-01-2008, 08:02 AM
Use reason.
Think about the world around you.
Authority does not equate to worthiness of trust. Nor does it equate to unworthiness.
Challenge authority when mis-applied. Support it when it does what is right.

This then raises the much more important question of what constitutes right-action, justice, etc.

THAT is a much more th0rny question. ;)

What? I can't says th0rny without resorting to letter replacement? Stupid, stupid filter.

TenTigers
10-01-2008, 08:04 AM
FTF!
F*** The Filters!

sanjuro_ronin
10-01-2008, 08:14 AM
Trust, like respect, is earned, never just given.
Common courtesy is given.
I trust MY doctor, he has earned it.
I trust most cops, all the ones I know are fine people.
I do not trust politicians ( I know too many personally).
As for MA instructors...
I trust the ones I know up to a point, I trust the ones I respect, up to a point.

I do NOT trust ANY organized religion whatsoever.

mkriii
10-01-2008, 08:14 AM
Trust the Gov't. Trust the Police.
Yes and no. Some people want to be able to make a difference it this world, and they hope for positive change. Some want money and power. Some people want to serve and protect. Some want a gun and a badge.
Look at Gun control:
The argument for gun control always boils down to this:
Americans don't need to own guns.
They don't need to protect themselves from crime.
That's what the police are for.
Take away guns, and we will all be safer from violent crimes.
-opens up a can of worms.

Yes and No.
If McCain elected.....yes trust.
If Obama elected........no trust. Don't believe a word the government says. Its all lies because its headed by Obama.

SimonM
10-01-2008, 08:17 AM
Please don't pollute another thread with assinine comments about the interminably long US election.

sanjuro_ronin
10-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Please don't pollute another thread with assinine comments about the interminably long US election.

There's an election going on?
**** it, I knew this was a bad time to stop sniffing glue !

TenTigers
10-01-2008, 08:19 AM
I trust most cops, all the ones I know are fine people.

One cop I know says,"I hate f***ing cops!"
I like him.

SimonM
10-01-2008, 08:20 AM
Yeah, there's one up here in Canada too. It's just that our politicians try to limit a campaign to 3 months rather than 4 years... for the most part.

sanjuro_ronin
10-01-2008, 08:24 AM
One cop I know says,"I hate f***ing cops!"
I like him.

Not sure what ****ing cops has to do with this, if he hates ****ing them so much, perhaps he should stop.

SimonM
10-01-2008, 08:30 AM
It's because cops always want to be dominant in bed. He should stick to fvcking mcdonalds staffers (over legal age) as they are used to being bossed around. :D

sanjuro_ronin
10-01-2008, 08:35 AM
It's because cops always want to be dominant in bed. He should stick to fvcking mcdonalds staffers (over legal age) as they are used to being bossed around. :D

And you get fries with that too !

mkriii
10-01-2008, 08:45 AM
And you get fries with that too !

You might even get a shake with those fries. (a protien shake that is...if you know what I mean). :D

cjurakpt
10-01-2008, 08:51 AM
trust is relative; to a large extent, the whole notion of the social contract is built on it; in many cases, that trust is a matter of life or death...

and on that note, I personally would like to give a big "thank you" shout out to all aircraft technicians, pilots and traffic controllers everywhere for doing an AWESOME job - you guys are the best!

SimonM
10-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Yeah, pilots rock.

They have managed to turn something that would have been seen as a physical impossibility 200 years ago into the statistically safest mode of travel.

sanjuro_ronin
10-01-2008, 08:53 AM
trust is relative; to a large extent, the whole notion of the social contract is built on it; in many cases, that trust is a matter of life or death...

and on that note, I personally would like to give a big "thank you" shout out to all aircraft technicians, pilots and traffic controllers everywhere for doing an AWESOME job - you guys are the best!

Here, here !!
And while we are at it, props out to high class call girls !

golden arhat
10-01-2008, 09:01 AM
Yes and No.
If McCain elected.....yes trust.
If Obama elected........no trust. Don't believe a word the government says. Its all lies because its headed by Obama.

yeah because you baccked that up with reason logic evidence or intelligence :rolleyes:

SimonM
10-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Don't encourage him Golden Arhat. One political thread about the US election is already going. That's one too many IMO. We don't need it spreading. Now, if you want to try and disrupt the political thread and simultaneously challenge MKRiii's logic be my guest. :D

mkriii
10-01-2008, 09:10 AM
yeah because you baccked that up with reason logic evidence or intelligence :rolleyes:

Learn how to spell and learn how to make coherent sentences. I can't tell what you are trying to say. When you do this then come back and we'll chat. Thank's and have a nice day! :D

mkriii
10-01-2008, 09:12 AM

Are there supposed to be commas in that sentence or what? You need to go back to basic grammer school.

mkriii
10-01-2008, 09:14 AM
I don't argue with people when they can't even make sentences. I'll over look spelling because I don't always spell correctly but at least I do make complete & logical sentences.

SimonM
10-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Mkriii:

I realize you are slow but please, learn the edit button, befriend the edit button. You replied three times in three posts to a single post by one person.

mkriii
10-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Mkriii:

I realize you are slow but please, learn the edit button, befriend the edit button. You replied three times in three posts to a single post by one person.

Thats because all THREE of my comments were worthy of it's own post. I'm that important. ;)

EDIT: I might even make a 4th comment regarding that one person.

EDIT: see, I do know how to use the edit button.

EDIT: I've used the edit button 3 times now for this 1 post. Aren't you proud of me.

EDIT: thats sarcasm

SimonM
10-01-2008, 09:23 AM
No, you really are not.

mkriii
10-01-2008, 09:34 AM
No, you really are not.
Yes I really am.

More so than a Canadian or a snobby Englishman.

xcakid
10-01-2008, 10:30 AM
I always say, "In God We Trust, all other bring supporting data/documentation"

SimonM
10-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Are you kidding? I don't trust shifty deities as far as I can throw their religious texts.

golden arhat
10-01-2008, 03:25 PM
I don't argue with people when they can't even make sentences. I'll over look spelling because I don't always spell correctly but at least I do make complete & logical sentences.

are you being serious

you didnt take away anything from what i said because i misspelt because with 2 c's due to a typid era

allow me to rephrase

you said you'd trust mcain and not obama

and i pointed out that you didnt offer a single reason why
no logic
no intelligence
no reason

now dont pretend you didnt get what i said because you cant really answer, the real reason being because you dont trust "darkies" where as middle aged white males make you feel safe

i suppose that only leaves us wondering what you went through as a child.
must be like stockholm syndrome

no daddy no
no!!! no!!! please dont

shudders *

David Jamieson
10-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Hold close to you, your own self doubt.

Always question who you are and what your purpose is. If nothing else to keep it top of mind.

SimonM
10-02-2008, 06:45 AM
Instead of self doubt I'd say self knowledge.

And that includes looking at those parts of your self that you are ashamed of and would rather not accept and accepting that it is part of your self-identity.

Kevin Huang
10-02-2008, 07:13 AM
When assigning trust, one should not abrogate self responsibility and self judgment.

SteveLau
10-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Trusting people with authority? Well, in reality, trusting no one completely is a good policy.

Regards,

KC
Hong Kong

Hebrew Hammer
10-02-2008, 10:53 PM
I think this thread might be heading for a group hug....