PDA

View Full Version : Who is into Hiking, & Outdoor Wilderness Survival?

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-02-2008, 05:27 PM
What kinds of skills to you cultivate to enjoy the persuite, and how do you practice them? Do you incorporate these skills with your Kung Fu?

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Steve Fossett? Evan Tanner?

Reply]
I thought Fossett was more into crashing Air Planes?

uki
10-02-2008, 05:45 PM
i have walked from georgia to pennsylvania on the appachian trail... hemlock twigs light even when wet, eyeglasses can be used to start fires, daisy leaves contain 3 times the amount of vitamin A than carrots per serving, you can starve to death only eating rabbits, violets contain more vitamins than a GNC store, leeches draw out infection, wearing cotton increases your chance of hypothermia tenfold when wet... covering yourself in a pile of leaves will keep you warm when sleeping outside without shelter. i dabble a bit with survival skills...

Yum Cha
10-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Ten,
I think that you are right, there is a 2nd generation link between martial and outdoor skills, in some areas. Some bridge one way, some the other. But, its about what the individual brings to the party, not the party itself though.

Off the top of my head,

The rhythmic cadence of hiking in the flat, breathing, movement, meditative focus.

One climbing technique uses a 'three fixed points, one searching for a target' meme. The alternation from right to left, foot to hand requires a focus and physical memory execution of different moves a lot like free form work.

Of course, the sense of being one spec of a man surrounded by such magnificance of nature, forest, mountain, glacier, waterfall, desert, sea coast...you catch my drift. One man's position in space, and how that space changes.

Throw in a touch of endurance, risk and group dynamics for interest.

But, it all comes to nothing without the focus. Mindfullness.

So, what is the take-away? Sharper wits, physical conditioning, experience with risk, testing of limitations and immersion in natural beauty.

That's your cue, Ronin ... immersion in natural beauty?

SimonM
10-02-2008, 06:10 PM
What kinds of skills to you cultivate to enjoy the persuite, and how do you practice them? Do you incorporate these skills with your Kung Fu?

Walking, walking on rough trails, walking up steep hills, walking up steep hills on loose ground, mud, etc. Some relatively easy scrambles, swimming, canoing, fishing.

Sifu Darkfist
10-02-2008, 06:13 PM
I do it for a living hehehe

David Jamieson
10-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Dude, I live in Canada.

You guys are pussies.

lol

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-02-2008, 07:06 PM
My current mission is learning to identify and use edible and medicinal plants.

I actually ate my first wild foraged plant last weekend. It was an Aster. The plant looks like a small violet colored daisy.

Next weekend, I plan to find a new plant to eat as well.

Mr Punch
10-02-2008, 07:10 PM
That's pretty cool! Congrats! And take care. My granny taught me aaall those plants as far back as I can remember - tho we have a lot fewer than you!

uki
10-02-2008, 07:40 PM
i have eaten a variety of wild edible mushrooms... and apparently i identified them correctly because i am still alive.

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-02-2008, 07:50 PM
I just picked up a book called "Botany in a Day".

It is a book that teaches how to recognize entire families of edible plants. The idea is that a specific plant may be local to your region, but the family it belongs to is generally world wide. If you can learn to identify the entire family, then no matter where you are in the word, you can eat for free.

Which of course will be good for when I decide to go into the mountains and become a famous and widely sought after Kung Fu hermit. :p

uki
10-02-2008, 08:01 PM
I just picked up a book called "Botany in a Day".

It is a book that teaches how to recognize entire families of edible plants. The idea is that a specific plant may be local to your region, but the family it belongs to is generally world wide. If you can learn to identify the entire family, then no matter where you are in the word, you can eat for free.

Which of course will be good for when I decide to go into the mountains and become a famous and widely sought after Kung Fu hermit. :pyou should watch the movie into the wild... it's right up your alley.

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-02-2008, 08:18 PM
I have seen that movie. Can anyone tell me what was the kid's biggest mistake?

I will answer:

He was TOTALLY unprepared for his adventure. He starved to death because he was an unskilled hunter and scared away all the game. When he shot the Moose, he should have cooked some of it up first. He had a fires going to smoke the meat anyway. Then when he started seeing the maggots, he really should have cooked it up and stuffed himself....maggot are disgusting, but EDIBLE!! I have never seen meat go bad that fast anyway, the writers F'ed up on that one.

Then he waited until he was on the verge of starving to death before he even TRIED to learn how to forage for edible plants. In his panic and desperation, he tried to find something to eat with the book he bought months prior, rushed the process to verify the plant is actually edible, and accidentally ate a poisonous look alike. (Several of the books I have, including the US Army Survival manual have a simple technique to test if plants are edible or not)

Also, with no skill, experience, or education he decides to live in Alaskan wilderness? If he had even half a brain, he would have chosen a wilderness location were the weather would not kill him at least.

And another thing, how in the hell did that BUS end up in the middle of the Alaskan wilderness without a road to be found for as far as the eye can see? Yeah, like I am supposed to belive THAT woould happen!! I found it to be just a little too convenient!!

SimonM
10-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Dude, I live in Canada.

You guys are pussies.

lol

I live in Canada too. Don't you live in Toronto?

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-02-2008, 08:23 PM
I have seen that movie. Can anyone tell me what was the kid's biggest mistake?

I will answer:

He was TOTALLY unprepared for his adventure. He starved to death because he was an unskilled hunter and scared away all the game. In the part where he shot the Moose, he should have cooked some of it up first.

He had a fire going to smoke the meat anyway. Then when he started seeing the maggots, he really should have cooked it up and stuffed himself....maggot are disgusting, but EDIBLE!! Not to mention the fact that he just sat there and watched the wolf eat his Moose. I would have just shot one and ate that as well. In addition, fresh killed meat just does not go bad that fast, especially in a cool climate.

And how many frik'n bullets did he have for that gun anyway!! What was his plan for when he ran out?

Then he waited until he was on the verge of starving to death before he even TRIED to learn how to forage for edible plants. In his panic and desperation, he tried to find something to eat with the book he bought months prior, rushed the process to verify the plant is actually edible, and accidentally ate a poisonous look alike. (Several of the books I have, including the US Army Survival manual have a simple technique to test is plants are edible or not)

Also, with no skill, experience, or education he decides to live in Alaska? If he had even half a brain, he would have chosen a wilderness location were the weather would not kill him at least.

And another thing, how in the hell did that BUS end up in the middle of the Alaskan wilderness without a road to be found for as far as the eye can see? That was a little convenient!!

Water Dragon
10-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Gian,
That movie was based on a real story. Most of the movie was reconstructed from journals he kept. I dunno how the bus wound up there, but it really was there. The bus is where they found his body. I remember reading about this years ago in Maxim. They always had some tragic death story in between the bewbies.

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Really? Wow. That sux. I some how missed that. Although, I am sure some portions were exaggerated for theatrical presentation. The whole thing with the Moose had to be one of those parts.

Either way, I am still right about all of the mistakes he made that lead to his death.

I have had fresh kills left out over night, and by morning it STILL smelled fresher than store bought Chicken. After cooking it still tasted better too. If that moose story was actually part of it, given the size, and cooler climate, he should have had edible food from it for a few days at least.

Primitive man was born into an enviroment where he was taught all the survival skills from birth, and generally lived within a Tribe. That way everyone has support from the whole tribe. Even using primitive skills, they could survive and thrive just fine.

If one is going to attempt a project like this, they should at the very least, become skilled in the basic skills left over from our primitive, tribal existence.

The Kid in the movie just did everything wrong from beginning to end.

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-02-2008, 09:01 PM
In the movie, hunters found his body in the bus. Maybe they were adventurers and used it as a shelter when they hunted?

If it was driven there, then there HAD to be a road within walking distance. A bus like that is not built for off road driving, and would not have gotten far driving across that type of terrain.

Mr Punch
10-02-2008, 09:57 PM
They always had some tragic death story in between the bewbies.Stupid idea!

David Jamieson
10-03-2008, 03:31 AM
I live in Canada too. Don't you live in Toronto?

Yes, I do live here now, but I've winter camped on a trap line in Shamattawa near churchill.

Also, the whole weather thing up here makes a huge difference when we start talking about survivalism.

ergo, the pussies remark.

Besides, I don't think there's many who understand the power of February on the prairies. :D

especially those in the south.

uki
10-03-2008, 03:51 AM
just before the credits go up there is a phpotograph of him sitting in front of the bus.. he had a roll of undeveloped film in his camera. he was found by moose hunters two weeks after he died... to throw in a pun, not intended.... he was a monkey, born in '68... they tend to do foolish and stupid things now and again... ironically he died in the year of the monkey aswell. great movie though, all my props to sean penn.

sanjuro_ronin
10-03-2008, 04:05 AM
Dude, I live in Canada.

You guys are pussies.

lol

Indeed, I USED to like hiking and wilderness survival, then I did tha artic survival training in the army.
Screw that !!

uki
10-03-2008, 04:18 AM
Indeed, I USED to like hiking and wilderness survival, then I did tha artic survival training in the army.
Screw that !!on the bright side of this atleast the artic seems to be melting away... chances are no one will be doing artic survival much longer. i personally love the cold weather, the heat agitates me... probably because my normal body tempature is 97 and not 98...

Egg fu young
10-03-2008, 04:22 AM
I went for a brisk walk after Dinner yesterday. I should have taken my L.L. Bean Fleece though because I got a chill.

sanjuro_ronin
10-03-2008, 04:24 AM
on the bright side of this atleast the artic seems to be melting away... chances are no one will be doing artic survival much longer. i personally love the cold weather, the heat agitates me... probably because my normal body tempature is 97 and not 98...

-60 celcius weather is NOT fun.

David Jamieson
10-03-2008, 05:13 AM

well not unless you're cuddled up to a couple of inu sweeties in an igloo under a lot of fur. :D

sanjuro_ronin
10-03-2008, 05:14 AM
well not unless you're cuddled up to a couple of inu sweeties in an igloo under a lot of fur. :D

Unfortunately, they weren't standard issue.

Water Dragon
10-03-2008, 05:47 AM
Really? Wow. That sux. I some how missed that. Although, I am sure some portions were exaggerated for theatrical presentation. The whole thing with the Moose had to be one of those parts.

Google the story, it's pretty interesting. Guy graduated from MIT, I think. Anyway, he decided to give up his wordly possesions, find himself, and found his way into Alaska.

David Jamieson
10-03-2008, 05:52 AM
'never cry wolf' by Farley Mowatt is an awesome story about this sort of thing.

Water Dragon
10-03-2008, 06:38 AM

No thanks, I prefer my wimmins without the fur :eek:

SimonM
10-03-2008, 06:40 AM
Yes, I do live here now, but I've winter camped on a trap line in Shamattawa near churchill.

Also, the whole weather thing up here makes a huge difference when we start talking about survivalism.

ergo, the pussies remark.

Besides, I don't think there's many who understand the power of February on the prairies. :D

especially those in the south.

Hell March in Ottawa is bad enough. :D

BTW: May be moving out to Prince George soon. 17 hour nights in the winter, woo hoo!

SimonM
10-03-2008, 06:42 AM

Arctic survival training or a mild January day in Winnipeg? :p

sanjuro_ronin
10-03-2008, 06:46 AM
Arctic survival training or a mild January day in Winnipeg? :p

LOL !
True, very true.

SimonM
10-03-2008, 07:03 AM
If your doorway is 1 meter above the ground but that's fine because so is the snow you might just be a Canadian.

Inuit have a root/stem language. So while it's true that they do have thirty or forty words for "snow" most of them, in fact, have the root word for "snow" in them.

(So you might have "snow" or "snowontheground" or "snowonthegroundthatmydogjustpeedin")

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-03-2008, 07:04 AM
Yes, it is an interesting story.

One part I thought was cool was when he rafted down into Mexico, and then had to explain himself to the boarder patrol when he tried to get back into the country.

The whole movie was basically about how he took foolish risk, after foolish risk, after foolish risk, until his foolishness caught up with him and he died because of it.

Oh, and also how he got permission for a guy to bang his wife too. :eek:

TaichiMantis
10-03-2008, 07:04 AM
Back in the day....

I've hiked and camped four of the Hawaiian islands and the south island of New Zealand (and bunjy jumped before it was cool). Used to belong to Michigan Mtb Assoc., helped build and maintain trails in my area.

Long hikes and hill climbing on a bike are mind over body...kinda like stance training. Technical downhills REALLY teach you where your center is...if you lose where it is, you biff majorly! :cool:

SimonM
10-03-2008, 07:47 AM
On mountainous trails the downhills are the HARD part.

Going up you just need to take your time, bring lots of water and keep putting one foot in front of the other. Going down is when the pain and risk of falling kick in.

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-03-2008, 08:11 AM
The best hiking near me is the Starved Rock State park. It's got great hiking once you get back behind the guard rails and wooden decks.

You have to be careful though. Use common sense. Every year someone dies there, sometimes several people do.I myself fell down one of the waterfalls once.

SimonM
10-03-2008, 08:19 AM
The closest I ever came to dying on a trail was earlier this year when I did the centennial ridges trail in Algonquin park.

It's the most difficult single-day trail in the park, ascending to the highest point in the park (the summit of MacDougal's Mountain) along a series of ridges and switchbacks. It was rainy when I did the trail and many of the sections of the trail had become temporary riverbeds. I (stupidly) did the trail wearing beach shoes. Stupid, stupid Simon. The views from the ridges were amazing. The bear sh!t sitting in piles at the side of the trail lent a certain urgency to getting back down off the mountain before dark.

Still finished it 1 hour faster than the reccommended time.

David Jamieson
10-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Prince George is nice, but if you go the extra distance, go further west to Prince Rupert. Outstanding! and you'll have access to Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte's).

Prince George is kind of far inland and a good 6-8 hours from the coast, If you can get to Prince Rupert, you can easily get work there and it is an incredible part of BC.

Me and the wife did our honeymoon on Haida Gwaii and it was like being in dreamland for 3 weeks. One of the most beautiful places on the planet for sure. the drive into prince rupert sent us back. Coastal highway along a crystal clear sound and waterfall cliffs on the other side. That and the orcas doing the belly rubs into teh pebble bottoms...man, it was something else.

Lucas
10-03-2008, 08:52 AM
what about that movie/book Hatchet

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-03-2008, 09:21 AM
I never read it, what is it about?

Lucas
10-03-2008, 09:31 AM
this kid goes down in the middle of the wilderness in a small bush plane. hes the only one that survives the crash. he takes what he can get as the plane sinks in a lake. then its his trials of surviving in the wilderness. he makes it back to civilization near the end by making a raft and going down a river till he makes it back.

there was a movie adaption.

its one of those books that we read in school when i was a kid.

SimonM
10-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Prince Rupert is on the short list. I just got tested for a job in Prince George though and I'll go where the work is. ;)

sanjuro_ronin
10-03-2008, 11:25 AM
As long as its not a Prince Albert !
:eek:

SimonM
10-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Head
Desk

TaichiMantis
10-03-2008, 12:20 PM
gee, it must be friday...:rolleyes:

SimonM
10-03-2008, 01:35 PM
gee, it must be friday...:rolleyes:

What was your first clue?

uki
10-03-2008, 07:31 PM
gee, it must be friday...yeah the first day that starts being broke all next week...

SimonM
10-04-2008, 05:35 AM
So, anyway, back vaguely on topic...

Preferred parks (national or provincial or state) for camping? My fave remains Algonquin.

The Willow Sword
10-04-2008, 04:21 PM
has some of the best hiking and outback wilderness terrain. You have High desert canyon lands and Mountains and forests. New Mexico is the tail end of the Rocky mountains and i have spent alot of time there hoofing it and camping in the remote places. I am currently reading a book about a guy who took his family along the migration routes of the Anasazi peoples, they walked it. The Book is titled "House of Rain" by Craig Childs. As for wilderness survival stuff, read the book "The Tracker" by Tom Brown. it will help you city slickers and sport hunters appreciate the wilderness and the 4-leggeds that inhabit it more.

Tom Brown has survivalist and wilderness training seminars that you can attend, i wasnt able to do it this fall as planned due to injury and finances. Maybe Next fall.

Peace,TWS

RD'S Alias - 1A
10-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Hey guys, check THIS out!!

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=wildernessoutfitters

This guy looks like he could give Survivor man quite a few lessons!!