PDA

View Full Version : Unemployed again!?!

LoneTiger108
10-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Being a Martial Artist trying to carve a career in Management, I have at times come into contact with senior staff who aren't used to my 'style' of management.

My character alone has been affected by the lifetime grind of work, as I find that my own efforts in training do sometimes overshadow my dedication to a fulltime job. And today yet another Manager sent me packing, as I fail my probation period because of my apparent 'threatening behaviour'. I was sitting down at the time, debating protocol and unsatisfactory attitudes to change from my staff (I was responsible for five).

Time and time again I see grown adults view my strict discipline and direct communication as unacceptable. So again I'm in the unemployment queue and wondering if it's all worth the money?

Anyone else here moving from job to job wondering why you aint training instead?

SimonM
10-03-2008, 01:46 PM
No.

I just try to make friends with my co-workers and get along with them.

I'm trying to move jobs but only in the upward direction. ;)

Oso
10-03-2008, 01:53 PM
yea dude, i hear ya.

been criticised for the same thing.

for me, i don't want a bunch of double-talk PC bs when I'm being criticised, i want my bosses to tell me exactly what it is they want or don't like...even when i've been criticised for being too blunt, or too direct, they are beating around the bush about it 'it would be nice if...', 'others don't feel you are sensative to their feelings'... it's like: fine, i know i'm blunt but i get results with less time and cost involved.

i have always made expectations and consequences clear to my staff, and I've been managing people since 1986, but sometime around 2000 everybody got pc and ****. nowadays, it doesn't even seem like you can clearly identify to someone when they are ****ing up...even if it's been written in handbooks and s.o.p.'s

uki
10-03-2008, 02:06 PM
when there is no job there is more time to work on practice.

BoulderDawg
10-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Being a Martial Artist trying to carve a career in Management, I have at times come into contact with senior staff who aren't used to my 'style' of management.

My character alone has been affected by the lifetime grind of work, as I find that my own efforts in training do sometimes overshadow my dedication to a fulltime job. And today yet another Manager sent me packing, as I fail my probation period because of my apparent 'threatening behaviour'. I was sitting down at the time, debating protocol and unsatisfactory attitudes to change from my staff (I was responsible for five).

Time and time again I see grown adults view my strict discipline and direct communication as unacceptable. So again I'm in the unemployment queue and wondering if it's all worth the money?

Anyone else here moving from job to job wondering why you aint training instead?

Time to find a new line of work. If you run into the same problem on every job then what does that tell you? You're simply not cut out to manage others.

Sort of reminds me of this girl I knew. She wanted to be an astropysicist but could not pass algebra 101.:D

uki
10-03-2008, 02:21 PM
my job shirt says"flarhety masonry. go hard or go home. we had one laborer who was always on the cellphone... one day i just snapped and let out a roar... go hard or go the fuk home!! guess where he went...

Lucas
10-03-2008, 02:23 PM
my job shirt says"flarhety masonry. go hard or go home. we had one laborer who was always on the cellphone... one day i just snapped and let out a roar... go hard or go the fuk home!! guess where he went...

lol, too bad you didnt drop a hammer on his phone first.

Becca
10-03-2008, 02:28 PM

LOL! there's a diference between "strict discipline" and passive-agressive @sshatery.

uki
10-03-2008, 02:39 PM
LOL! there's a diference between "strict discipline" and passive-agressive @sshatery.be blunt. be honest. say what you mean.

Wu Wei Wu
10-03-2008, 03:16 PM
I pretty much only work in order to do something during my downtime away from training.

I did the corporate thing, didn't dig it. Now I have an office at home, and a training kwoon at home. However, sacrificed a considerable income in order to live this way. I'm happy.

uki
10-03-2008, 03:25 PM
i However, sacrificed a considerable income in order to live this way. I'm happy.that's the joy of life...

golden arhat
10-03-2008, 03:49 PM
when there is no job there is more time to work on practice.

this coming from the self confessed pot head

high five

dont you have kids?

yeah no job, greeeatttttttt :rolleyes:

Lucas
10-03-2008, 03:58 PM

high five

dont you have kids?

yeah no job, greeeatttttttt :rolleyes:

hes saying that the great thing about life is that the guy he quoted was able to make a financial decision to work at home and be happy.

Uki i believe works as a full time mason....i have a close friend that does that. its **** hard work.

uki
10-03-2008, 03:59 PM

high five

dont you have kids?

yeah no job, greeeatttttttt!!i am a mason, i work 30-40 hours per week weather permitting... and we smoke pot at work, drink beer at lunch... hows your job treating you? and yeah i have kids, 3 of them to be exact... we own a house on 3.25 acres, no mortgage. **** life is good.:D

rogue
10-03-2008, 06:46 PM

Well if you keep getting fired for the same thing, then the problem is probably you. If they feel you are displaying 'threatening behavior' then you have some issues to deal with. You might want to change your approach or stay away from management.

Kevin Huang
10-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Coworkers are human, with human foibles and inconsistencies.

uki
10-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Uki i believe works as a full time mason...and now i have reverted to trading masonry work for firewood... then i have to hand split it all to keep the house warm all winter... but i am a lazy, no name, no style, pot-head, martial artist who doesn't deserve children. :D

Ray Pina
10-03-2008, 08:52 PM

No offense mate, but it sounds like you're not doing your job. Your higher-ups hired you to manage these underlings, regardless of their wanker status. You failed. Maybe you should inquire of the type of "attitude" your higher-ups want you to display: whip cracker, friend, stern father, etc. And then be that. And if that doesn't work suggest a change to you higher ups. At least then its noted.

At the same time, being on probation is the result of something. Maybe you need to check with your own immediate higher-up (between the ears) and see if you're managing your self right.

Good luck. Don't take no p1ss. But don't create it either.

冠木侍
10-03-2008, 10:27 PM
You seem to be adamant about the way things should be. Take it from me, it is very frustrating. There are other, less obtrusive ways to effect change and to get what you want. You are a martial artist...try being the proverbial bamboo and network with your c-workers.

anerlich
10-03-2008, 10:33 PM
My character alone has been affected by the lifetime grind of work, as I find that my own efforts in training do sometimes overshadow my dedication to a fulltime job.

You live in a prosperous country and don't have any serious health problems. You're no less fortunate than anyone on this forum. If you're character is getting ground down by the requirements of living in modern society and its many advantages, maybe you need to work more on your character.

Training MA can be a fairly selfish pursuit. Consider perhaps finding a line of work which benefits others and isn't all about making money or your own status. "Character building", they used to call it.

Well if you keep getting fired for the same thing, then the problem is probably you.

Bingo!

Time and time again I see grown adults view my strict discipline and direct communication as unacceptable.

Your history indicates are that they probably are unacceptable. You are being sent a message, repeatedly, but you don't want to listen.

Not really. I've held each of my jobs for between three and eight years, and I left all of them for greener pastures. Some included managing up to thirty people, but I found I could make good (enough) money as a contract software developer without having to go through the headaches of management. My current job (5 years) is in the healthcare industry, so I'm hopefully helping the sick at least indirectly (I could have sold sub-prime mortgages instead).

Some of my subordinates became and remained good friends. One of my best friends, who unfortunately died earlier this year, was my boss for about 15 years at various places. It isn't necessary to be a domineering a-hole with a broomstick up his a$$ to succeed in management.

I've still managed to train between 3 and 5 times a week for most of that.

The best martial artist I know held a highly responsible government job all his working life, stayed married to the same woman and brought up two fantastic kids. And managed to stay the best martial artist I've ever seen.

The best martial artists IMO are well rounded people who manage to succeed in all areas of their lives, not just their training.

The Adams quote above is of great relevance to your situation. "by your actions," being the pivotal line.

As the Sex Pistols said, "The problem is YOU! Whatcha gonna do?"

Kevin Huang
10-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Bosses can screw up too - repeatedly.

unkokusai
10-03-2008, 11:39 PM

Time for you to face up to the fact that the problem is YOU and no one and no thing else. Get some help, psycho.

couch
10-04-2008, 05:41 AM

Some people here have some good advice. Here's a summary with me adding my bits:
1. If you keep banging your head against the wall in your chosen profession - maybe it's time for a change in profession.
2. The squeaky wheel always gets the oil. I don't like the corp environment because I don't play well with others. When I complained - I got let go. Either you do your bit and keep your mouth shut in those environments or you don't get to hang around long.
3. Do you REALLY want to continue in your field? Then change your attitude. Go back to the boss that fired you and ask for a few minutes of his/her time. I'm sure you'll be surprised at how many people would give you the time if you said that you wanted to have a sit-down-chat and find out how you can improve on what you do for a living.

Something's gotta change, because pretty soon you won't be employable. You'll be blacklisted due to firings and long term unemployment.

Best,
K

Mr Punch
10-04-2008, 07:05 AM
You've had some good advice, tho some of it harsh... from what I know of you from the board you're not going to the harsh stuff badly anyway...

Do you want to be more specific? What industry? Who were you supposed to be training in what? Do you know of any incidents or anything that might have led people to see you as threatening?

Anyone else here moving from job to job wondering why you aint training instead?Nope. Retrain! You're never to late to be able to learn more about your job.

Being a Martial Artist trying to carve a career in Management, I have at times come into contact with senior staff who aren't used to my 'style' of management.Martial arts have nothing to do with the world of modern work. Well, they do if you make them your life and really take all the philosophical **** on board, but leave it at home anyway. If you make a conscious decision to leave it at home, you'll find it comes into work with you in only the good, chilled out or self-disciplined ways.

The most important MA cliche you can take to work with you though, is to have an empty cup every day.

David Jamieson
10-04-2008, 09:19 AM
just do your job as defined and quit trying to cut and shape it into something it's not.

If you build the company and make it yours from teh ground up, that's different, but if you are heeled to another, then you serve that line of thinking and not your own.

It's a simple reality and shouldn't be that difficult to see.

In short, if you don't like it, shove off and get your own gig, otherwise, you gotta serve someone if you haven't the tenacity and wit to make your own way.

Mr Punch
10-04-2008, 05:31 PM
While there's a lot of good advice on this thread, I'm wondering a bit why everybody is so hostile to him. It hardly seems like the way to show someone (especially someone who has come to you - unknown people - laying down his heart for advice) who has been accused of hostility. Apart from being arrogant, egotistical and smug. Just a thought.

rogue
10-04-2008, 06:21 PM
We're not being hostile, we're just exercising strict discipline using direct communication to point out an unsatisfactory attitude and a lack of dedication to a full time job. Now I can see how as martial artists this may come across as 'threatening behavior'. :D

LoneTiger108
10-05-2008, 06:37 AM
yea dude, i hear ya.

been criticised for the same thing...

... nowadays, it doesn't even seem like you can clearly identify to someone when they are ****ing up...even if it's been written in handbooks and s.o.p.'s

Sums up my latest experience quite nicely. Check this, the 'motto' for the company is "improving peoples lives".

Mmmm, not an ounce of support for staff like me though, and many others imo. To put the thread more into context, I was called in for a 'Probation Review' (in the UK the first three months fulltime work is generally considered as a 'probation period')

'Review' it was not, as there was no mention of what I had actually accomplished over my time there, of the successful management decisions (which were many!) The meet was constructed to 'fail' me on the back of one recent meeting. It only highlighted this negative '20 mins'. Most of my staff were in complete shock when they learnt what had happened. Some were not, as it was their complaints and interviews that initiated the action. Good luck to them now! ;)

Do you want to be more specific? What industry? Who were you supposed to be training in what? Do you know of any incidents or anything that might have led people to see you as threatening?

The company is a top tier government contractor that retrains the unemployed throughout the UK. I was Deputy Business Manager, responsible for the delivery of our 'Intensive Activity Programs' to the long-term unemployed aged 25+. Last Monday we had just over 200 'mandated' participants on program.

The 'incident' was a 20mins outburst in a recent staff meeting, where believe it or not, I was personally criticised for not issuing ONE piece of paperwork during our Induction. I delivered approx 15 Inductions (1 per week) to new 'clients' and this happened on only one occassion.

I used the criticism to highlight the fact that sometimes we don't have everything that we're 'supposed' to have and I was looking for my staff to show their flexibility, but some staff just went loopy! Accusing me of other inconsistencies which were totally unfounded. Obviously I did turn the tables and highlighted the weaknesses of some of the staff which was a major no no according to my manager. 'Don't criticize your staff in front of others' was the message. I understand this, but my staff obviously didn't (and they didn't get disciplined either for 'ganging up' on their Manager!)

I'm cool though. Other than the pressure of my mortgage and food for the kids, I've survived through much worse financial scenarios before. It's just that I don't like to fail! :mad: I also thought it might be a good subject to share with you all, but obviously some of you are just as bad as the childish staff I no longer have to cover for...

Time for you to face up to the fact that the problem is YOU and no one and no thing else. Get some help, psycho.

As the Sex Pistols said, "The problem is YOU! Whatcha gonna do?"

"God Save The Queen!" :D

unkokusai
10-05-2008, 11:15 AM
And when the exact same thing happens again (and again) you will come crawling back saying, "What happened? What is their problem?"

:rolleyes:

Lucas
10-05-2008, 11:23 AM
maybe a career change.

ever consider security or law enforcement?

at least then when you call someone down for screwing up in somewhat of a harsh manner, its expected. hell, its practically the norm...

uki
10-05-2008, 11:58 AM
at least then when you call someone down for screwing up in somewhat of a harsh manner, its expected. hell, its practically the norm...being a mason gets you thick skin real fast...

TenTigers
10-05-2008, 02:10 PM
Uki, I didn't know you were a Mason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwQerFAh4Wk

uki
10-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Uki, I didn't know you were a Mason.says so in my profile... you've been to my profile; good thing you aren't a mycologist, the fine details can kill you. oh and i didn't mean a freemason.:)

haha. i laughed at the video after i posted this post... you're a goofy guy aren't you?

TenTigers
10-05-2008, 02:52 PM
... you're a goofy guy aren't you?

it's one of my strong points.

when you have a group such as ours, with some people taking their s*** way too seriously, you need to sometimes show people what is really important.

TenTigers
10-05-2008, 02:59 PM
years ago, when I was in construction, I worked for a while with a mason. We were adding an extension on this old brick mansion in Oyster Bay Cove, L.I., and they wanted it to look as if it was always there, so they brought in craftsmen from Montana, who reproduced all the interior woodworking, a roofer, who worked with slate-even acid washing the copper ice stopping thingys so they looked aged, and this old Italian mason. My job, besides mixing and carrying mortar, and loads of bricks up the scaffolding, was to sort and clean all the old red bricks, which they used to match the original brickwork. It was all gruntwork for me, really back-breaking stuff, but I enjoyed working with the guy. He was an ornery old bastid, but for some reason, he took a liking to me and taught me some stuff.
I have alot of respect for masons, both for their skill, and for the hard work they endure.

cjurakpt
10-05-2008, 03:08 PM
it's one of my strong points

it's just the sort of blinkard, philistine, pig-ignorance we've come to expect from you, sitting there on your spotted behind squeezing blackheads!

(nobody, and I mean NOBODY, does angry like Cleese!)

uki
10-05-2008, 03:51 PM
I have alot of respect for masons, both for their skill, and for the hard work they endure.i hope i can take it as a compliment... and for sh!ts and giggles i never wear gloves... save for when i am tuck pointing joints in real stone... wet mortar eat holes in any skin. :D

anerlich
10-05-2008, 06:41 PM
I also thought it might be a good subject to share with you all, but obviously some of you are just as bad as the childish staff I no longer have to cover for...

LOL. What sort of egomaniac posts on an MA forum about his failures in unrelated fields? No friends closer to home? I wonder why?

Treat staff like children, that's how they will act.

You obviously think yourself superior. Trouble is, no one else agrees.

SteveLau
10-06-2008, 12:00 AM
LoneTiger108,

I share your experience at work too as I am currently unemployed. Being a person that goes for self-improvement, there are mentalities and behaviour that I will try to improve. Quite often these are subtle matters. That means I do not have serious problem, fortunately. It is just a matter of degree in adjustment here and there. For example, may be I should be more tolerant to this and that, handle a situation in a different way, etc. It also means there are wrongs often on the other side of the table in losing jobs. Today's social climate in human societies is harsh on the people. The recent financial crisis only makes life worse. And as far as MA training is concerned, I try to balance between work and other parts of life. For instance, I will not apply for job that requires too long working hours, or too much travelling. Let's just say I am doing my best to achieve my goals in life, to live the way I want to live as much as possible.

Regards,

KC
Hong Kong

Mr Punch
10-06-2008, 04:32 AM
LOL, glad I'm not the only one who thinks Lone is being perfectly reasonable. Sure, he might be a twisted social reject and childish egomaniac but his posts seem to be quite normal and interesting to me. It's good to hear about how some of us relate to the world in work spheres and whatnot, whether it's Uki's masonry or Lone's management... it's nice to know that the whole board isn't totally lost in fantasy and theory (political fantasy like 1bad or pseudo Deathwish MA BS like just about all of us)! He nearly even admits his mistakes as mistakes!

But it also seems as though we have to be aggressive twats as martial artists... and have lost the ability to speak civilly. Oh well, back to my linguistics forum and history forum... and wherever...!

sanjuro_ronin
10-06-2008, 05:30 AM
Be water my friend, be water...

Kevin Huang
10-06-2008, 05:30 AM
"twisted social reject and childish egomaniac"

Heh.

I don't think any of us kung fu guys are NOT that way, to some extent.

Mr Punch
10-06-2008, 05:34 AM
LOL, good point... I remember you and you certainly are! :p :D

Mr Punch
10-06-2008, 05:35 AM
Oh wait...

bugger.

:rolleyes:
:eek:
:o

Becca
10-06-2008, 07:59 AM
While there's a lot of good advice on this thread, I'm wondering a bit why everybody is so hostile to him. It hardly seems like the way to show someone (especially someone who has come to you - unknown people - laying down his heart for advice) who has been accused of hostility. Apart from being arrogant, egotistical and smug. Just a thought.
I, for one, was a bit hostle because I've worked for enough passive-aggressive A-holes to know imediately that he A) was one and B) honestly thinks he has the right to belittle, verbally abuse and generally make other work lives so horrible they almost puke at the thought of having to go to work. He probaly thinks that other inability to deal with the horrid stress and hostility as a failing on thier part rather than a fault of his for causing the tension. Which meens it isn't his martial arts training making him pasive-agressive, it's deep seaded, out-of-control anger management issues. I'm glad he isn't my training partner; a person like that inevitably ends up injuring thier training partners.

uki
10-06-2008, 09:29 AM
But it also seems as though we have to be aggressive twats as martial artists...it's not easy witnessing weakness on any level, though it can be comical watching a new laborer struggle carrying block into the hole.

sanjuro_ronin
10-06-2008, 09:31 AM
But it also seems as though we have to be aggressive twats as martial artists... and have lost the ability to speak civilly. Oh well, back to my linguistics forum and history forum... and wherever...!

I knew a girl that had an aggressive...er...never mind.

HardWork8
10-06-2008, 09:59 AM

How about moving from continent to continent which has been my case. It really puts a "spanner in the works" of your kung fu training.:eek:

I am sorry to hear about your job loss. I hope that you get into employment soon and meanwhile use the extra free time for some extra kung fu training.:)

Hendrik
10-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Comes accept, Goes accept and let it return, release and move forward, using the Now to manage the action.

passed is passed no one could change it. move on.

SimonM
10-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Que? :confused:

LoneTiger108
10-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks to everyone who has posted here.

Even the critics have valid points (well some do!) and I am working on my development all the time.