PDA

View Full Version : superior styles????

irontiger1981
10-04-2008, 06:01 AM
i once heard it said that there are no superior martial arts, just superior martial artists!!!:cool: how do yall feel about that?!?!?!?!?!?!?!:D

SimonM
10-04-2008, 06:04 AM
This is basically true. Except that there are a few inferior martial arts (Drunken Style I'm looking at you)... which would technically make all the non-inferior ones superior.

irontiger1981
10-04-2008, 06:26 AM
This is basically true. Except that there are a few inferior martial arts (Drunken Style I'm looking at you)... which would technically make all the non-inferior ones superior.
your looking at me?!?!?!?!!?!? i dont study drunken style our school knows a drunken fist form but in no way do i study drunken style plus i htink that style it to develop balance in awkward situations, i think its basically a footwork developer the fists are very slapshod anyways!!!!!

Kevin Huang
10-04-2008, 06:33 AM
When one is being assaulted by a much larger and stronger opponent(s), Drunken Style has certain twisting applications that are useful.

I have always felt that it's more about matching up the right style (including sifu and applications) to the right practitioner.

Shaquille O'neal does "Shaq Fu". Yet I'd rather face just about anybody else than Shaquille O'Neal at 7'1" and 330 lbs.

Yum Cha
10-04-2008, 05:00 PM
I think you have complex and less complex styles. And magnitude or number of forms isn't the defining factor.

A matter of superiority is pretty subjective....

But, some are clearly more complex than others, both in the number of techniques and the training elements, but in the complexity of breathing, stance, footwork, spirit, etc.

Now, you run into the issue: 'simpler is often more effective', and you get an eye opener.

I think a superior art would be one you could actively practice over a lifetime, through all the changing seasons.

SPJ
10-04-2008, 05:04 PM
whatever works better for you.

it is superior stuff for you.

:D

Ray Pina
10-04-2008, 07:31 PM
I would say some styles are more likely to overcome others based solely on their respective training standards.

TenTigers
10-04-2008, 08:34 PM
I would say some styles are more likely to overcome others based solely on their respective training standards.

that's not style, that's training.
I think we've already gone through the whole,"It's not the style, it's the training method.." spiel.
we get it.

That being said,
there are styles that have greater sophistication than other styles. Sophistication does not neccesarily mean more complicated,(more like honed to higher tolerances) although there would be what I would refer to as "subtle complexities."

Subtle complexities refers to technique that may appear simple in that it may have few movements, but those movements are high precicson, requiring deft movement, smaller angles, tighter spaces, and very specific power generation.

Sometimes all you need is an edge, an opening, a window of opportunity, and that can mean the difference between success and failure.

Does mastering this technique mean that the small guy will now take on the beheomoth cage fighter? Of course not. Save that conversation for the trolls.

uki
10-04-2008, 11:02 PM
style becomes obsolete in any confrontation...

SPJ
10-05-2008, 07:20 AM
each style has its focus or tactics and strategy.

Tai chi moves like water flows, go to where the least resistence is (meaning yield and redirect against faster and stronger moves/opponent), cutting into the smallest cracks (cai lie zhou kao against slower and weaker moves/opponent) etc

Xing Yi moves your body and hand/fist like a spear.

Ba Gua, there are twisting in your steps, waist along the spine, your forearm, hand/wrist, like a dragon swimming, tumbling etc

---

so take your pick.

:)

Kevin Huang
10-05-2008, 08:59 AM
What works great for one person may not work for another.

My own art is not suitable for a lot of people to do. Many a martial arts enthusiast has tried my class, only to walk away unsatisfied.

Typically I lose students who seek to utilize kung fu as a lethal weapon by which they'll gain macho mastery over opponents in 1-on-1 grudge matches with rules. They have trouble with my "prey" mentality, particularly the legal aspects of street combat that they refuse to hear about.

Similarly, I've always felt that it's better to have a few effective moves than 10,000 ways of countering a front punch that nobody actually uses when the going gets rough. My belief is that in times of stress, a person will default to the few moves that work well for him. Often "less is more" when it comes to street self defense.

For people seeking enlightenment in meditation, macho invincibility over opponents in 1-on-1 grudge matches with rules, "chosen one" initiation into a secret order of kung fu sophisticates, black belt achievement in a year or less, or Jedi mastery of superhuman abilities simply by "knowing kung fu", I am a lousy instructor with a style that is completely unsuitable for such purposes.

Ray Pina
10-05-2008, 02:54 PM
that's not style, that's training.
I think we've already gone through the whole,"It's not the style, it's the training method.." spiel.
we get it.

I find one can expect what a typical TKD class is like. Same could be said for Hung Kuen.

With that said, if students of a typical TKD or Hung Kuen school were going to go five rounds with a boxer, not knowing anything about any of the fighters I would put my money on the boxer.... and I've feel pretty good about collecting.

That's because I know the standard training for each style. I know how they train, thus I can expect a certain level of ability.

If what you said is true, there should be more kung fu fighters. They can't all be training the same way. But yet the standard remains. And it's low.

But then look at coach Ross. He changed the training method, right away his schools level shoots up and can't be considered "kung fu" even any more.

One does as they train.

Laukarbo
10-05-2008, 07:20 PM
With that said, if students of a typical TKD or Hung Kuen school were going to go five rounds with a boxer, not knowing anything about any of the fighters I would put my money on the boxer.... and I've feel pretty good about collecting.

ok ,the tkd or hung kuen guy boxes, or uses his style for the 5 rounds ?

I already did that with a friend who is an amateur boxer he with gloves and headgear and me without gloves or no gear at all,in fairness it wasnt super fullcontact..but u would have lost ur money...if i would have put on the gloves and would have fought boxing rules I'd lost :D