PDA

View Full Version : Morning cardio

sanjuro_ronin
10-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Some info and a view for those that like the morning cardio workout:

The Truth About Fasted Cardio,
by Christian Thibaudeau

Is fasted morning cardio good or bad? First, let's look at the pros:

Pro #1: Morning cardio could potentially increase the amount of free fatty acids (FFA) used up as fuel. This is not due to performing cardio in a glycogen depleted state though, since this isn't happening here. Unless you go to sleep in an already depleted state, you won't wake up in such a state.

During sleep almost 100% of the energy expended comes from fatty acids because of the extremely low intensity of the activity and because of the natural hGH burst which occurs 30 minutes or so after you enter the deep sleep phase (hGH increases fatty acid mobilization).

So you really aren't depleting your intramuscular glycogen stores during the night. You might be tapping your hepatic glycogen stores slightly, but even then that can't account for much since at best this contains maybe 200-300kcals of stored energy. So it's a fallacy to believe that when you wake up your muscles are emptied of their glycogen.

However, since fat is the primary energy source during your sleeping period, chances are that upon waking you have a greater amount of free fatty acids available. Since you don't have to mobilize them (they're already freed up) they become easier to oxidize for fuel and are thus more readily used up during morning cardio.

Pro #2: Fasted morning cardio could also potentially be glycogen-sparing for the same reason as stated above: the greater availability of FFAs reduces the reliance of glycogen for fuel during low-intensity energy systems work.

Pro #3: Fasted morning cardio could lead to an improved fatty acid mobilization during exercise and increase insulin sensitivity afterwards. This might be true of exercise at a low level of intensity (50-75% of max VO2) since this decreases insulin levels via the stimulation of adrenergic receptors. A lower insulin level can increase fatty acid mobilization.

However, a higher intensity of work (above 75% of max VO2) can actually have the opposite effect. So in that regard a moderate or even low intensity of work would seem to be superior in the morning as far as fat mobilization goes. (Galbo, 1983, Poortmans et Boiseau, 2003)

To counterbalance the reduction in insulin production during exercise at a moderate intensity, insulin sensitivity is increased, especially in the muscle. Since insulin sensitivity is already high in the fasted state, morning cardio could allow you to significantly increase glycogen storage and reduce the storage of carbohydrates as body fat.

So in that regard, morning cardio in a fasted state could increase fat loss during a cutting period and allow a bodybuilder in a bulking phase to significantly increase his carb intake without gaining more fat.

If fasted state cardio could potentially increase fat mobilization, it's also potentially more catabolic to muscle tissue. This is due to an increase in cortisol production during fasted exercise. Since cortisol levels are already high in the morning, this could lead to more muscle wasting than during non-fasted cardio.

In fact, cortisol levels could increase muscle breakdown and the use of amino acids as an energy source. This is especially true if high-intensity energy systems work is performed. If an individual uses lower intensity (around 60-65% of maximum heart rate), the need for glucose and cortisol release are both reduced and thus the situation becomes less catabolic.

I personally do believe in the efficacy of morning cardio, but not in a completely fasted state. For optimal results I prefer to ingest a small amount of amino acids approximately 15-30 minutes before the cardio session. A mix of 5g of BCAA, 5g of glutamine (yeah, I know that Dave Barr won't agree with me on this!), and 5g of essential amino acids would do the trick in preventing any unwanted muscle breakdown.

However, I'll also play devil's advocate and say that morning cardio won't be drastically more effective than post-workout or afternoon cardio work when it comes to fat loss. Personally, I prefer to split up my cardio into two shorter sessions (morning and post-workout).

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-06-2008, 05:17 PM
i just wish there was a machine that would do cardio for me.

Oso
10-06-2008, 06:18 PM
whew, i'm glad I'm not wasting my mornings doing cardio now...i've never been a morning person. even in HS, i never met the CC team for the morning run...but, i was only doing CC as prep for wrestling and not to be a fast runner.

anyways, i'm just going to ride my bike more.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-06-2008, 07:56 PM
i don't think i could do cardio in the morning if i wanted to. even lifting i tend to get real nausiated if in the mornings.

its not even exertion in a fasted state either . . . i can wake up hung over as hell . . . not eat all **** day . .. and then be fine when i lift. but if i wake up fully rested, and try to lift first thing, i want to puke every time. cardio is even worse.

sanjuro_ronin
10-07-2008, 04:36 AM
Moderate cardio seems to be the way to go for morning workouts, ST in the morning is typically not recommended, though some people do it.
Over-exertion in the morning is always a controversial thing, I remember years ago my boxing coach telling me never to do anything more streneous than a light job, my MA teachers usually said the same thing, typically a light jog, or do your "forging".
They said that over exertion in the morning could lead to a heart attack, which I though was silly.
Then my neighbour died of a heart attack one morning while brushing his teeth, after finishing his usual morning workout that involved running AND weight lifting and he was in great shape, would run 5K races on a regualr basis and such.
Maybe there is something there or maybe just a coincedence, one thing I do know, if I ever over exert myself in the morning I always have a head ache for the rest of the day.

Vash
10-07-2008, 05:37 PM
The morning is the only time I can workout. If I try to get anything in later in the day, I feel dizzy, nauseous, and unfocused. If I get in first thing in the morning, I'm alert, focused, and motivated.

Of course, I have a HUGE breakfast and don't start working out til 1.5 hours later, so that might have something to do with it.

sanjuro_ronin
10-08-2008, 04:30 AM
Of course, I have a HUGE breakfast and don't start working out til 1.5 hours later, so that might have something to do with it.

Ya think ??
:D

jow yeroc
10-08-2008, 07:09 AM
Moderate cardio seems to be the way to go for morning workouts, ST in the morning is typically not recommended, though some people do it.
Over-exertion in the morning is always a controversial thing, I remember years ago my boxing coach telling me never to do anything more streneous than a light job, my MA teachers usually said the same thing, typically a light jog, or do your "forging".
They said that over exertion in the morning could lead to a heart attack, which I though was silly.
Then my neighbour died of a heart attack one morning while brushing his teeth, after finishing his usual morning workout that involved running AND weight lifting and he was in great shape, would run 5K races on a regualr basis and such.
Maybe there is something there or maybe just a coincedence, one thing I do know, if I ever over exert myself in the morning I always have a head ache for the rest of the day.

I've heard the same. Light jog or chi kung in the mornings. Nothing too strenuous. Idea is to get the blood pumping and muscles and joints loose, right?
Mentally too it's good to devote the beginning of the day to your well being.
I always want to rise and shine but i just cant do it. I look at the clock at 5 am and
say "bleh!!" I'm up at 6 anyway to go to work by 7.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-08-2008, 11:32 AM
The morning is the only time I can workout. If I try to get anything in later in the day, I feel dizzy, nauseous, and unfocused. If I get in first thing in the morning, I'm alert, focused, and motivated.

Ya think ??
:D

im sure it helps, but i think its more than that.

ive worked out on the worst possible conditions - almost no sleep, traveling, hung over, and nothing to eat all day and been fine. then ive tried to work out on the exact conditions as vash and had to take 5 min plus breaks here and there just to keep from throwing up. people just seem to be wired to work out at a certain time of the day. persoanl circadian rythems or somethin maybe.

sanjuro_ronin
10-08-2008, 12:06 PM
im sure it helps, but i think its more than that.

ive worked out on the worst possible conditions - almost no sleep, traveling, hung over, and nothing to eat all day and been fine. then ive tried to work out on the exact conditions as vash and had to take 5 min plus breaks here and there just to keep from throwing up. people just seem to be wired to work out at a certain time of the day. persoanl circadian rythems or somethin maybe.

A valid point.

David Jamieson
10-08-2008, 07:42 PM
I don't do morning workouts.

I'm a late morning guy at best on the weekends, but my workout time is 99% evenings.

mostly because I'm at my desk by 7:30 everyday and there until 5. so, morning isn't the right time for this cat.

BrokenTitanium
10-21-2008, 08:28 PM
One thing that we might consider about doing an early morning cardio workout is that it helps kick start the entire body for the rest of the day. I gets the body to start burning up stored fuel, just my two cents. i usually wake up around 4:30am and do about 40 mnutes of cardio and stretching before starting my day.

Egg fu young
10-22-2008, 05:31 AM
Slowly awaken the universe :D

TenTigers
10-22-2008, 07:46 AM
I get up at the crack of noon.

TenTigers
10-22-2008, 07:52 AM
I used to do all my cardio in the morning, and now I'm starting to rethink this. The cortisol levels in the morning are highest, and that is what leads to all these athletic people dying of heart attacks. I believe it might also be connected with lowering immunity and repairing the body.
I like getting out in the fresh air in the mornings however, so I will start my days with taking the dog for a walk. It's relaxing,refreshing, and has an overall calming effect on the mind. My dog's a fat bastid, and needs the exercise anyway.
Great, now my dog will die of a heart attack instead.

David Jamieson
10-22-2008, 12:21 PM
It is worthy of note that exercise has never been proven as a means of longevity.

I know that sounds weird, but it is a fact that the more you use anything, organic or mechanical, the faster it breaks down.

GreenCloudCLF
10-22-2008, 01:30 PM
It is worthy of note that exercise has never been proven as a means of longevity.

I know that sounds weird, but it is a fact that the more you use anything, organic or mechanical, the faster it breaks down.

Things break down faster through ABUSE than USE. I will continue to run and train and use my body while other eat and sit and abuse theirs.

TenTigers
10-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Things break down faster through ABUSE than USE. I will continue to run and train and use my body while other eat and sit and abuse theirs.
I usually do that after I run, and before my shower.:p

sanjuro_ronin
10-23-2008, 04:15 AM
I get up at the crack of noon.

I know that girl ;)

sanjuro_ronin
10-23-2008, 04:16 AM

Well...exercise for health is one thing, exercise/training for a "sport" performance is another.

Pk_StyLeZ
10-26-2008, 08:59 AM
i use to train at this shaolin school...we would sleep over at the school..wake up at 530-6 in the morning
do some light stretches/warm up the body
than we jog/run for a good 1-2 miles
more stretching....basic kicking/punching drills
forms and lots of forms
finish it off with more strength training stuff/sprints/push up/ etc!
for a good 2-3 hrs in the morning!!!

man i was in the best shape of my life!!! and i felt good for the rest of the day also and had no problems!!!

also...shaolin *monks*/china wushu atheletes all train hardcore early in the morning...and train a good 8 hrs a day....they look fine to me in the long run too also, look at jet li..he stil look healthy to me...so i dont think its bad thing

inic
10-31-2008, 11:52 AM
I think it depends on the intesity as was stated earlier.
If you're training below 70% or 65% of your VO2 max, and it's a pretty consistant pace (running), you could (and probably should) do it in the morning before eating.
For a very intense workout (like my boxing or circuit training) that is sporadic and frequently in the 75-90% vo2 max area, you really need some calories to carry you through it. I don't bother people with going into crazy details of measurements and types of calories, but something along the lines of a light to medium sized snack 20-40 min before you do the routine. Suppose you could eat one of the plethora of "exercise bars" types, but I'm not a fan of those.