PDA

View Full Version : Lloyd Irvin victim of home invasion

MasterKiller
10-08-2008, 06:29 AM
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/10/6/629281/bloodyelbow-com-exclusive

Speaking exclusive to BloodyElbow.com, world champion grappler Lloyd Irvin said his home in Accokeek, Maryland was invaded by two armed gunman on Saturday morning at approximately 4:30am.

According to Irvin, the two gunman held Irvin, his son, wife and UFC light heavyweight contender Brandon Vera at gun point while demanding to be directed towards valuables like cash or jewelry.

While one gunman held Irvin's family hostage, another gunman directed Irvin to the the master bedroom. According to Irvin, he led the gunman toward his bedroom. Once in the bedroom, Irvin said he noticed the other gunman was far enough away down the hall to make a move to disarm the attacker in his bedroom. Irvin, an expert in Sambo defensive gun and knife techniques, was able to get ahold of the gun in the attacker's hands, first separating the clip from the gun and then removing the gun from the attacker's hands.

At that point, the attacker in Irvin's room ran yelling to his accomplice that Irvin had his gun and both gunman fled the house. It's not clear what, if anything, they were able to take with them. Police were called to the scene and have launched an investigation.

According to Irvin, no one in his family was physically hurt, although the psychological trauma at this point is considerable.

sanjuro_ronin
10-08-2008, 07:04 AM
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/10/6/629281/bloodyelbow-com-exclusive

Speaking exclusive to BloodyElbow.com, world champion grappler Lloyd Irvin said his home in Accokeek, Maryland was invaded by two armed gunman on Saturday morning at approximately 4:30am.

According to Irvin, the two gunman held Irvin, his son, wife and UFC light heavyweight contender Brandon Vera at gun point while demanding to be directed towards valuables like cash or jewelry.

While one gunman held Irvin's family hostage, another gunman directed Irvin to the the master bedroom. According to Irvin, he led the gunman toward his bedroom. Once in the bedroom, Irvin said he noticed the other gunman was far enough away down the hall to make a move to disarm the attacker in his bedroom. Irvin, an expert in Sambo defensive gun and knife techniques, was able to get ahold of the gun in the attacker's hands, first separating the clip from the gun and then removing the gun from the attacker's hands.

At that point, the attacker in Irvin's room ran yelling to his accomplice that Irvin had his gun and both gunman fled the house. It's not clear what, if anything, they were able to take with them. Police were called to the scene and have launched an investigation.

According to Irvin, no one in his family was physically hurt, although the psychological trauma at this point is considerable.

Risky, but sometimes you don;t have a choice and home invasions can turn ugly very, very fast.
Gun defenses with real (unloaded) guns are crucial.

RENEGADE_MONK
10-08-2008, 07:31 AM
That's crazy...glad to hear everything is ok for him and his family. I never heard about this happening and I live in his area in Ft Washington.

Xiao3 Meng4
10-08-2008, 08:08 AM
What a risk!

Disarming one guy while the family's being held hostage by the other... that could've gone much much much worse than it did. This is a story more about luck than skill.

sanjuro_ronin
10-08-2008, 08:13 AM
Should be Irvin SURVIVOR of home invasion.

What a risk!

Disarming one guy while the family's being held hostage by the other... that could've gone much much much worse than it did. This is a story more about luck than skill.

Indeed. but we don't know the circumstance and the last home invasion I read about in the news here ended up in a raping of the wife AFTER they gave them everythign they wanted...

Mas Judt
10-08-2008, 08:52 AM
You know, I was going to post about my experience with home invasion (the uh, invadee, not invader) - but thought it would sound like chest thumping. So instead, I thought I'd point out that Sambo really rocks. I don't play it myself, but used to spar with some KGB style Sambo guys - and they were just phenomenal martial artists. I never, ever hit somebody so hard in my life - saw them just go flying like a rag doll, and immediately jump back into the fray - at the time I was amazed. I get how they do that now - and they deserve real respect for the research and development Sambo has added to the global MA scene.

Good for Lloyd.

GeneChing
10-08-2008, 09:11 AM
I was tempted to move it to the MMA forum, but thanks to Kimbo (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51830), it got lively over there for a bit. S/R has been dying on the vine lately. I guess we don't have a lot of S/R on the KFM forum :eek::o

Of course, this is an MK thread, so he'll probably delete it later making this a total waste of my time. :mad::rolleyes:

David Jamieson
10-08-2008, 07:17 PM
I find this story odd because there are all sorts of crime stories about Accokeek, Maryland and police reports from Oct 4 on the net and nothing about this except the exclusive at bloodyelbow.

for instance: http://www.topix.com/county/prince-georges-md

or

http://somd.com/news/headlines/

weird...

SimonM
10-09-2008, 09:28 AM
So are you suggesting fact-checking is necessary? Surely nobody would try a publicity stunt that transparent in this day and age?

David Jamieson
10-10-2008, 06:55 AM
So are you suggesting fact-checking is necessary? Surely nobody would try a publicity stunt that transparent in this day and age?

surely you jest?

martial artists try publicity stunts to drum up business forthemselves all the time. It's S.O.P.

In this day and age, no one gets the benefit of doubt in my view.
Too much has eroded away and it is important to know reality.

Mas Judt
10-13-2008, 06:33 AM
It's even more important to know reality biblically ;)

SimonM
10-14-2008, 08:27 AM
I don't want to believe somebody would invent a story of home invasion just to give himself a bit more media attention.

That doesn't mean I can't believe somebody would. ;)