PDA

View Full Version : more effective?

10-15-2000, 09:32 PM
what is more effective in both street fight and/or tournament?

jeet kune do?

eight step praying mantis kung fu?

BeiTangLang
10-15-2000, 10:05 PM
I say ,....
Neither are worth a **** if you know neither one.
Even when/if you learn them, it will depend upon the studen & teacher to decide how effective they are, so you see, your question is pointless & answerless.
Good luck in your search;
-BTL

"Ever dance with the Devil in the pale moonlight?"

8StepStudent
10-22-2000, 06:30 AM
Either 8Stepper is our friend 6hmantis or Ziggy in disguise, or either he is very humble. Anyways... Since I study 8 Step I'm kinda bias to answering 8 Step. I would also say 8 Step because it's truly a complete system whereas Jeet Kune Do isn't really, because Bruce died before perfecting it really.

Dreamer
11-04-2000, 01:50 AM
You say Jeet Kune Do wasn't finished. Jeet Kune Do is more than a style a way to learn what style fits you. Even if Mr Lee would have finished it you wouldn't be finished when you knew everying he could teach. I would definitely say that Jeet Kune Do is more effective since it allows you to use whatever moves and attacks that fits you. But that doesn't mean you would be superior to anyone practising PM.

<font color = "#000033"> [b]D[b]reamer</font>

Taijimantis
11-11-2000, 05:24 PM
/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif You know what? When I was teaching, often I would get the 9, 10, and 11 year old students would often ask "What happens if a guy gets you in a headlock like this, and you cant use your hands because they have been broken?" or "What if thirteen guys with bats jump you--What do you do?"

The hypothetical questions I heard, I am cerain that many of you instructors have heard. The difference is that the children didnt know any better. Perhaps they dont in this forum as well?

I was recently told a story about my sifu. When he was learning his art form Chiu Chuk-Kai, he was chosen as a sucessor because he never asked any questions. His attitude was that he went to CCK to learn Kungfu, not to hear about his family life or what kind of car he drove or anythig like that. He was given something to do and he did it. Eventually he became a grandmaster and the answers to all his questions he had himself!

All well and good Taiji, but what does this have to do with the post at hand? /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

It seems to me that people take these posts to heart, I have been guilty of it in the past myself. Jeet Kune Do is incomplete. But so is every other system or cocept. Matial arts if practiced correctly are continuously evolving. There is no perfect art or form, or style.

The sooner people stop this chest puffing and ***** measuring the better (And I know that there will be a statement edited by our faithful moderators, as it has been before. Just keep in mind that I do not curse or use vulgar language, I use the proper anotomical language like a grownup. So if you dont mind please let me make my point I am far less offensive than others have been). There is no one style better than another, or more effective. The fact is a good sifu will not teach you their style of Kungfu, but rather help the student develop their own version!

Have patience with these kinds of questions, or ignore them alltogether. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif the fact is they arent going away, someone out there thinks they are asking a legitimate, and intelligent question, when really all that is being asked is "If I had a gun, a chainsaw and a handgrenade, and I was inside a tank, and I was going to mug you, what would you do? /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif