PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Claw training

hulkout
10-09-2008, 02:44 AM
What's the best way to train the tiger claw. Since the tiger claw is a kind of smash and tear sort of technique, it wouldn't make sense doing it on a heavy bag. Maybe a wallbag filled with beans or rice? Any help would be appreciated.

uki
10-09-2008, 03:43 AM
a tiger claw is virtually useless without power behind it. practice and training should revolve around strengthening and conditioning the grip. once one has a solid(mason) grip, tearing and rending flesh is not tool difficult; now imagine what one would have to do to another which would warrant the wrath of a tiger, since is strictly defensive in nature, unless of course it is hunting.:D

hulkout
10-09-2008, 07:25 AM
I do practice strength training, so grip training is a vital part of my training. I do heavy pulls with the barbell like deadlifts. I also use Captains Of Crush hand grippers. I guess what I meant to ask was training the specific tiger claw action of hitting first with the palm heel and then crushing/ripping with the fingers.

uki
10-09-2008, 03:56 PM
I guess what I meant to ask was training the specific tiger claw action of hitting first with the palm heel and then crushing/ripping with the fingers.in iron ball juggling you can catch the ball with your palm heel first and then claw-grab it before throwing(releasing). this incorporates the traditional claw-grab bag in some aspects, yet the object you are catching and grabbing is an iron ball(the sphere being the shape of perfection). aside from moderated hand and palm conditioning by striking hard(or soft) surfaces, a general well rounded hand, wrist, arm strengthening practice routine, such as push ups on fingertips or back of tiger claw hand positoning will generally improve tiger claw and all other fists one can put the hands into.

RickMatz
10-09-2008, 06:11 PM
What's the best way to train the tiger claw. Since the tiger claw is a kind of smash and tear sort of technique, it wouldn't make sense doing it on a heavy bag. Maybe a wallbag filled with beans or rice? Any help would be appreciated.

I knew a guy who did this: He bought a newpaper every day, laid it out on his kitchen table, then with alternate hands, gathered up each page into a tight little wad.

He had extremely strong hands, fingers and forearms.

uki
10-09-2008, 06:19 PM
I knew a guy who did this: He bought a newpaper every day, laid it out on his kitchen table, then with alternate hands, gathered up each page into a tight little wad. i hope he read it.

He had extremely strong hands, fingers and forearms.more so than lets say... a mason? really i am not busting on you, but i rather found it quite comical... i bust my arse everyday i go to work throwing block, stone, and concrete around... hopefully you can see where my humor is sprouting from.

SoCo KungFu
10-09-2008, 08:47 PM

The iron ball juggling thing isn't a bad idea. Though I have no idea where you could get those giant balls!

Before anyone says it....guess what? Small potatoes make the steak look bigger :p

You might wanna PM cjurakpt on this too. Ask him about plyometrics and stuff. He can explain it better than like anybody.

uki
10-10-2008, 02:44 AM
The iron ball juggling thing isn't a bad idea. Though I have no idea where you could get those giant balls!i got mine from a metal fabrication shop for 20 bucks each, well they wer 18 from the catalogue, so the guy charged me two bucks extra... best 60 bucks i ever spent.

Before anyone says it....guess what? Small potatoes make the steak look bigger.
the bigger the steak, the more flossing of the teeth.

David Jamieson
10-10-2008, 03:41 AM
Along with others here on the forum, I have trained in Black Tiger Kungfu for some 14 years or so now. I can emphatically state that you guys are plucking at straws with what you think might be a good way to develop the skill.

If you want to learn, find a teacher and put the effort in. That's how you do it.

uki
10-10-2008, 03:54 AM
Along with others here on the forum, I have trained in Black Tiger Kungfu for some 14 years or so now. I can emphatically state that you guys are plucking at straws with what you think might be a good way to develop the skill.plucking at straws is precision practice... black tiger huh, so you have one of them concrete and iron dummies to practice on? a field of posts to form across? i've been a wood tiger for 34 years now...:p

If you want to learn, find a teacher and put the effort in. That's how you do it.a teacher doesn't practice for you.

David Jamieson
10-10-2008, 05:07 AM
A teacher shows you how to practice so you don't waste your time making up ineffective methods that you have no idea if they work or not.

A teacher is the one who stands on the shoulders of others and allows you to stand on his/hers so that you don't have to make all the mistakes that have already been made for you.

If you want to progress properly, get a teacher.

sanjuro_ronin
10-10-2008, 05:15 AM
I don't do clawing stuff myself, but I do work on these babies:

http://www.heavygrips.com/training/beginner.html

sanjuro_ronin
10-10-2008, 05:35 AM
I do practice strength training, so grip training is a vital part of my training. I do heavy pulls with the barbell like deadlifts. I also use Captains Of Crush hand grippers. I guess what I meant to ask was training the specific tiger claw action of hitting first with the palm heel and then crushing/ripping with the fingers.

I would assume that, if you wanna train the action of palm striking followed immediatly by gripping, that you would need to make a job specific target.

I would start out with a very strong canvas bag and filled it with mung beans ( any beans really but Mung are the traditional way), don't fill it too much you want to be able to grip after the strike.
You will progress from beans to sand perhaps, or in some systems they prefer beans to rocks to steel shot.
Since you wanna strike and THEN grab, throwing and catching won't work for you so you need to suspend it some how.
Start slow, about 10 reps per hand for the first week, add 1 rep per day, every day till you get to 50 and stay there ( its a typical rep format and you can "play" with as you like, just don't go progress to fast, especially when you get into the harder mediums).
Use some good quality Jow.

Other than that, you can get a wooden post, round, the diamter will depend on your hand size, attach or bury it to the ground, pad the target area to begin and strike and grab it, you will notice that you wil be using the vertical palm and claw for this (thumb side up).

uki
10-10-2008, 02:22 PM
A teacher shows you how to practice so you don't waste your time making up ineffective methods that you have no idea if they work or not.and where did the teacher get his understanding?

A teacher is the one who stands on the shoulders of others and allows you to stand on his/hers so that you don't have to make all the mistakes that have already been made for you.sometimes personally learning from your mistakes is better than having someone else do it for you.

If you want to progress properly, get a teacher.tell that to a river...

hulkout
10-10-2008, 03:23 PM
A teacher shows you how to practice so you don't waste your time making up ineffective methods that you have no idea if they work or not.

A teacher is the one who stands on the shoulders of others and allows you to stand on his/hers so that you don't have to make all the mistakes that have already been made for you.

If you want to progress properly, get a teacher.

I do have a teacher, a good one. He told me when I first started that a teacher can only show you one corner of a square. It's up to the student to find the other three. He also said that if all he does is turn out clones of himself, then he has failed as a teacher. Yes, free thought is encouraged and trying to figure things out on your own is not only acceptable, but necessary for real progress and individuality. Yes he does teach us drills, forms, sparring techniques, etc. But no teacher can possibly show you everything. It's not as if I'm his disciple living in his house like in ancient China.

uki
10-10-2008, 04:46 PM
now imagine the teacher who teaches he can only show you one corner of the triangle... :)