PDA

View Full Version : animal styles?

golden arhat
10-11-2008, 05:40 AM
why ?

surely your better off learning to fight as best you can as a human

you dont have claws or wings or fur or other natural weapons that they have so use your own no? :confused:

naja
10-11-2008, 06:31 AM
Monkey has some pretty nice footwork....

David Jamieson
10-11-2008, 06:47 AM
fur's a weapon?

cool!

http://www.meikathon.net/roflmao/facepalm4.jpg

SPJ
10-11-2008, 07:15 AM
monkey would sling feces at your face and get into your eyes.

:eek:

SPJ
10-11-2008, 07:18 AM
if we blow or sweep up the hairs and furs, they would get into your eyes, nose and throat

can't see, can't breathe--

cough and cough

oops hairballs

--

naja
10-11-2008, 07:20 AM
monkey would sling feces at your face and get into your eyes.

yea, really...... nasty stuff. Way too deadly for sparring..... :D

bawang
10-11-2008, 09:27 AM
lol that fool still talking what a wiener
respect the traditional culture and mindset of my people or gtfo why r u doing kung fu then
you dont even know whats an animal style. tell me whats an animal style? what do they do? u dont even fkin know. U GOOGLED IT

SanHeChuan
10-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Like you say we don't have claws or wings, we only have human weapons, so we are always only fighting like humans.

In animal styles the animals are allegorical representations of human qualities that we wish to express within our selves. It's a colorful way of explaining how you are suppose to do a movement.

So to answer your question, NO. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

uki
10-11-2008, 10:06 AM
some classic human styles are traditionally called... fat fuker fu, lazy beached whale, american idolized MMA, and way of the cowardly fist... i prefer the animal styles any day.:D

Hebrew Hammer
10-11-2008, 10:37 AM
why ?

surely your better off learning to fight as best you can as a human

you dont have claws or wings or fur or other natural weapons that they have so use your own no? :confused:

You've obviously never had your arm ripped off its socket by a grizzly bear!!! Don't knock it till you try it my friend.

Some possible reasons to mimic 'animal styles':

1)They are stronger faster more efficient killers.

2)Some animals can actually defeat opponents much larger or stronger than themselves

3)Some martial artists have too much free time and no friends.

Me, I prefer the Cooking styles of Kung Fu. I once saw this movie called the "The Six Cooking Styles of Kung Fu!" about a chef who develops his own styles to include:

Shark fin Soup style
Sweet and Sour Pork
Shrimp Fried Rice

I can't remember the others...wish I had bought meself a copy....it was hilarious and it made me hungry for some take out.

uki
10-11-2008, 11:03 AM
1)They are stronger faster more efficient killers.

2)Some animals can actually defeat opponents much larger or stronger than themselves

3)Some martial artists have too much free time and no friends.
the first animal that comes to mind here is the wolverine... despite it's ferocious reputation, it is also quite cunning, after chasing it's prey up a tree, it will patiently wait at the bottom until either the prey dies of starvation or becomes frantic in it's hunger and climbs back out of the tree... i have friends, they just don't visit.

GreenCloudCLF
10-11-2008, 11:41 AM
I'm a fan of the deadly fire ants. You can see their style represented pretty well in the abortion of a movie that was the last Indiana Jones.

uki
10-11-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm a fan of the deadly fire ants.no kidding. they are something else... my mom lived in florida fo 18 years before moving to maui... you couldn't stand outside without moving your feet. when i was younger i used to have my stepdads dog come and sit down for a doggy treat right on top of a fireant mound... it was funny at the time watching it drag it's arse across the ground, but looking back from a much more matured life, it was pretty cruel.

GreenCloudCLF
10-11-2008, 12:07 PM
no kidding. they are something else... my mom lived in florida fo 18 years before moving to maui... you couldn't stand outside without moving your feet. when i was younger i used to have my stepdads dog come and sit down for a doggy treat right on top of a fireant mound... it was funny at the time watching it drag it's arse across the ground, but looking back from a much more matured life, it was pretty cruel.

Now if you wet your bed and set fires you have accomplished the serial killer troika!:eek:

uki
10-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Now if you wet your bed and set fires you have accomplished the serial killer troika!just drink enough and the bladder will empty when it wants to... does blowing fire count? i learned the art in praha.

cjurakpt
10-11-2008, 01:10 PM
In animal styles the animals are allegorical representations of human qualities that we wish to express within our selves. It's a colorful way of explaining how you are suppose to do a movement. TCMA has deep links to Taoist practice (even the so-called Buddhist ones), vis a vis its shamanic roots where you'd invite the spirit of a certain animal (real or mythological) into you in order to embody certain properties that as humans, the ultimate chameleon, did not possess per se (not at all dissimilar from, say, Native American)

uki
10-11-2008, 01:16 PM
TCMA has deep links to Taoist practice (even the so-called Buddhist ones), vis a vis its shamanic roots where you'd invite the spirit of a certain animal (real or mythological) into you in order to embody certain properties that as humans, the ultimate chameleon, did not possess per se (not at all dissimilar from, say, Native American)tiger spirits are the best invites to invite.:D

Hebrew Hammer
10-11-2008, 04:00 PM
... i have friends, they just don't visit.

LOL, the ramblings of a man, who has no friends...:D Hang in there son...offer them a beer.

uki
10-11-2008, 04:04 PM
LOL, the ramblings of a man, who has no friends...:D Hang in there son...offer them a beer.sometimes i am thankful no one is there to accept it...

cjurakpt
10-11-2008, 04:59 PM
tiger spirits are the best invites to invite.:D

I'm a paper tiger at best, so that doesn't work for me; however, I have been having an on-going dialogue with the dragon for some years now...

GreenCloudCLF
10-11-2008, 05:00 PM
I'm a paper tiger at best, so that doesn't work for me; however, I have been having an on-going dialogue with the dragon for some years now...

All I do is spank the dragon...

SPJ
10-11-2008, 05:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_bVwbJqgAM&feature=related

there are 2 ways of mimicking the ways of the animals/insects etc.

1. take the shape/forms, xiang xing

such as 7 * mantis.

2. take the functions/spirits/meanings, qu yi

such as 6 harmony mantis, the moves have the same functions with the foreleg of the mantis, but the shapes/forms are not as apparent.

put 1 and 2 together

yes

it is called xing yi.

--

:cool:

golden arhat
10-12-2008, 03:21 AM
respect the traditional culture and mindset of my people or gtfo why r u doing kung fu then
you dont even know whats an animal style. tell me whats an animal style? what do they do? u dont even fkin know. U GOOGLED IT

i think all chinese people are good for making food and kung fu movies, what hagve they ever done for the world all they do is walk around with buck teeth and slitty eyes jeez they dont learn dont look at me like that silly wabbit.

(/sarcasm)

that felt good :D

golden arhat
10-12-2008, 03:28 AM

lol seriously tho

thanks for your reasoned and well thought out answer to my question, i think if your a representative of the "traditional culture" i'l reserve my respect for a culture that deserves it.