PDA

View Full Version : Bows to the North Star

Nathan
10-16-2000, 08:19 PM
"Bows to the North Star" is a phrase found in the naming of some advanced Mantis forms.

I have heard it relates to the Chinese classic text known as "Journey to the West."

I would like to get an idea what others think this phrase means. Another, interesting phrase is "secretly watching the banquet."

Nathan

Kung Lek
10-16-2000, 10:47 PM
or "dragon looks to the pole star"

The pole star is as everybody knows used in navigation.

nuff said?

Kung Lek

LongfistMantis
10-17-2000, 02:37 AM
well, first off, apparently NOT everybody knows what the star was used for, otherwise the question wouldnt have been asked, so you might want to rethink your answer. Secondly, the "Pole Star" is also called the "North Star" or "Polaris". It has been used as a navigational tool, that is true, but to say that that is its only purpose is to say that you are only good for snide and closed off comments. We both know thats not true and im sure you could think of other reasons why both the star and the name might be used. In any case, I have noticed that many oriental form names often use "flowery" speech to conceal actual movment, such as things like "Ape steals the Peach". While this name may have some relevancy to the movements performed, i doubt it means that in the form one drags their knucles on the ground while making grunting sounds, then grabs a small fruit and runs away. So, the form may include "Bows to the North Star", but that may not mean that it has something to do with navigation or travel, or even use of the bowing gesture. Finally, and to be perfectly honest, anything that is said here on the nature of the form names is guesswork, since unless you happen to have studied with the man (or woman) who created the form, chances are there is no way you will ever know the *real* reason, and afterall, sometimes a name is just a name.

LongfistMantis /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Ericsepishii
10-17-2000, 04:21 AM
I am a little familiar with this set.
In fact I like this set quite a lot.

I believe that the "Bow" motion
is found towards the beginning part
of this set - it's a great attack
motion.

Other than that I am not too familiar
with what the name might mean in
relation to this fist set.

Turiyan
11-24-2000, 09:19 AM
The north star is supposed to be the area the chinese originated. From where the yellow emporer arrived on "flying chariots" apparently.

The REAL taichi:
http://www.wfdesign.com/tc/
http://www.wustyle.com/108.html