PDA

View Full Version : Chin Na forms

hulkout
10-11-2008, 07:25 AM
I've recently gotten interested in learning Chin Na. There are a couple of schools around me that teach it? Does anyone know if Chin Na does much solo forms practice or is it virtually all partner drills and applications? I would only be able to go once a week, so I'd like a way to practice on my own solo. I also have a Mook Jong as well as a Martialarm from my Wing Chun practice. Maybe I could practice some of the locks on these.

mawali
10-11-2008, 07:57 AM
Chin na has never had forms!
It is a 'pure' art that was adapted /integrated into the many style out there.
There were training tools to integrate seizing, grasping, pulling similat to how the Okinawans used the various object to strenth the upper body.

Though there is only one Chin na, teachers today must separate into things like Taiji Chin na, Shaolin Chin na, Tsai li Fut Chin na so that the students can understand the particular style(s) training to integrate Chin na!

GeneChing
10-13-2008, 09:40 AM
The problem with qinna moves in forms is that they aren't obvious. You need to have a fundamental understanding of qinna before you can interpret them. Shaolin kung fu solo forms are packed with qinna moves, but many practitioners have yet to decode them.

As for two-person qinna forms, try this:
72 Joint Locks of Eagle Claw Chin Na (http://www.martialartsmart.net/dvd-ll00a.html)

TaichiMantis
10-13-2008, 12:11 PM
The problem with qinna moves in forms is that they aren't obvious. You need to have a fundamental understanding of qinna before you can interpret them. Shaolin kung fu solo forms are packed with qinna moves, but many practitioners have yet to decode them.

As for two-person qinna forms, try this:
72 Joint Locks of Eagle Claw Chin Na (http://www.martialartsmart.net/dvd-ll00a.html)

Yes, in our manits forms it's arm locking moves. My kung fu uncle, Randy Choy points them out in our version of bung bo.

The arm locking techniques are found in the following six postures. Review posture 13, "Dragging the lamb," posture 20, "Tyrant king invites his guests, posture 24, "Chopping opponent's elbow, posture 28, "Carrying and embracing hand," and postures 43 and 44, "Left and right rubbing palm

jmd161
10-13-2008, 12:54 PM
I've recently gotten interested in learning Chin Na. There are a couple of schools around me that teach it? Does anyone know if Chin Na does much solo forms practice or is it virtually all partner drills and applications? I would only be able to go once a week, so I'd like a way to practice on my own solo. I also have a Mook Jong as well as a Martialarm from my Wing Chun practice. Maybe I could practice some of the locks on these.

Chin na has never had forms!

Contrary to what's said about Chin Na/ Kum Na not having forms...we have actually three Chin Na/Kum Na forms in Hak Fu Mun. My sifu has condensed these forms down to one that he feels is sufficient. No matter forms or not chin Na/Kum Na is all hands on application, so the forms are just to remember the techniques.

jmd161:)

mantis108
10-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Chin Na moves in solo forms are generally not apparent; hence, some believe that they are hidden secrets. :rolleyes: There are, however, many partnered Chin Na forms available. Technically, all moves in any solo forms can lead to a Chin Na ending. It is after all stand up grappling. This is due to the nature of Kung Fu encompassed 4 categories of martial techniques - striking, kicking, grappling (mostly standing), and takedown. A good Kung Fu move is in fact a combination of a number of these components not just one movement one kill mentality. There is a level of sophistication involved which is why Kung Fu is indeed an art form.

Depending on the teacher, the when and how Chin Na is taught differ drastically through out the community. But the most popular method that is taught today is lock flow series which mainly is done in a partnered situation. Essentially, Chin Na has about 9 or so fundamental techniques but there are plenty of variations of each depending on whether it is use in passive or proactive situations. In other words, the same technique used in a defensive measure and an offensive measure is slightly adjusted, therefore, appeared to be somewhat different in execution but the principle behind it remains the same. So don't be fooled by the number of techniques as claimed by "experts".

While most if not of Chin Na techniques can be used on both standing and ground situation, it is important to bear in mind that it is best to observe Chin Na at the ground range follows largely the principles best laid out by BJJ which is to say one must observe positional play above all else. Also do not confuse ground and pound with ground fighting.

In reality, there is no reason whatsoever that Chin Na can not be taught on the very first day of your Kung Fu experience.

BTW, it is true that mantis forms have plenty of Chin Na and also have Chin Na specific forms (partnered).

Just a few thoughts.

Mantis108