PDA

View Full Version : Ip Man starring Donnie Yen

rindge
02-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Not sure if this has been posted already.

Rindge

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/22-Legend-of-Yip-Man-Cast-Announced.html

Sifu MASS
02-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Hi All,

I just spoke with my Sifu, Master Samuel Kwok. He told me that one of my Kung Fu brothers, Leo Au Yeung, is working with Sammo Hung on the fight scenes and working with the cast on their Wing Chun. I worked with Leo when I was in Hong Kong last September, and he is very good. If he has a say, the Wing Chun in the movie should be good.

I understand Ip Chun is also very involved in the project in advising on the historical details. With the cast they have for this movie, it should be a major movie in terms of promotion.

-Tony Massengill

sanjuro_ronin
02-25-2008, 12:31 PM
I can't help but feel that this may be a step down for Donnie, after his last couple of flicks he has shown that he can be the premiere asian MMA superstar, the choreography and his excellent technical ablity make his mixed MA moves come to life on the screen and while his past performances of "TMA" have been excellent, I think that this is a step back for him.

doug maverick
02-25-2008, 12:35 PM
there are actually two films one by wilson yip another by wong kar wai. yips version will be more like those old folk hero movies while wang's version will be more of a bio pic

LoneTiger108
02-25-2008, 01:27 PM
I can't help but feel that this may be a step down for Donnie... while his past performances of "TMA" have been excellent, I think that this is a step back for him.

The thing is, with Sammo involved with this project the film is bound to be released in a much bigger way than any previous Donnie flick. His talent is extraordinary so it will only help him get better mainstream movies in the future imo. Even Jackie made films like The Protector and Battle Creek Brawl before he was a household name!

Donnies presence far outweighed Jets in their Hero scene, so let's see how good he really is at Wing Chun! It's about time the oldskool Warriors Two genre film were updated...

doug maverick
02-25-2008, 06:29 PM
i donink sammo's involvment matters. as he is not as big of a star as he use to be and donnie right now is on the top of the heap in terms of modern day actioners. spl,dragon tiger gate,and flashpoint were all high grossed films both in hong kong theaters and DVD sale in the united states. this won't be donnies big film as spl was.

GeneChing
02-27-2008, 03:39 PM
Yen, Yip and Sammo? Save me a front row seat!

Bruce Lee's Master Subject of Biopics (http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iROdq20gHjCUr5KutdjbE8FOrL-gD8V2FPFG0)
By MIN LEE – 16 hours ago

FOSHAN, China (AP) — Bruce Lee is the master to many martial arts fans, but less is known about his master, Ip Man, a pioneer in the kung fu style that influenced Lee. Hong Kong filmmakers hope to change that by bringing Ip's story to the big screen.

On Tuesday, action stars Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung from the U.S. TV series "Martial Law" prepared to start shooting one of two planned movies about Ip. They joined Ip's sons in paying tribute to their father at his hometown in the southern city of Foshan, a four hours northwest of Hong Kong.

Performers staged a traditional Chinese lion dance featuring four bright orange lions on outdoor platform near a memorial hall that honors Ip.

Yen posed next to a bust of Ip and performed a series of maneuvers against a wooden mannequin — a common practice in kung fu's wing chun style, which is known for its practical, no-frills style.

Yen, a veteran action star whose credits include "Blade II," "Hero" and "Shanghai Knights," said his role as Ip would be his most challenging ever.

"We all know that teacher Ip Man promoted Chinese kung fu around the world. He's also the teacher of my idol Bruce Lee. So when I took this role I put a lot of pressure on myself," he said.

Yen's reverence for Ip's legacy is testimony to his storied reputation.

Born in Foshan in 1893, Ip started training around 1903 in wing chun. He arrived in Hong Kong in the 1940s to escape the Communist takeover of the mainland. In Hong Kong, he started out teaching kung fu to restaurant workers but broadened his reach to hundreds of students, including Lee, before passing away in 1972.

Lee, who died in 1973 at age 32 from swelling of the brain, studied under Ip for five years, according to his official biography on the Bruce Lee Foundation Web site.

The movie starring Yen isn't the only production about Ip Man in the works.

Famed Hong Kong art-house director Wong Kar-wai is also planning a biopic starring Cannes best actor winner Tony Leung Chiu-wai, although the timetable for the project is unclear.

Wong's Jettone Films has not released any information about the movie, but Leung said this week he planned to devote the second half of this year to studying wing chun and hoped to start shooting at the end of the year or the beginning of next year.

Yen's movie, a $5 million production directed by Wilson Yip, aims to start shooting in March in Shanghai and to be released early next year, Yip said Tuesday.

doug maverick
02-27-2008, 05:04 PM
WHAT!!!! Gene Ching post something without checking if it was already posted.Yip man biopic (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50222)

GeneChing
02-27-2008, 05:10 PM
I searched, but I must have only searched the Media forum. Oh well, that's easily remedied.

Sifu MASS
02-28-2008, 04:23 AM
Hi all,

Here is a link (http://video.sina.com.cn/ent/m/c/2008-02-27/185011034.shtml) to the opening ceremony at the Ip Man Tong for production of the movie. My Sigungs Ip Ching and Ip Chun were in attendance and addressed those in attendance. Donnie Yen demonstrates the dummy form.

Enjoy

- Tony Massengill

HtownShaolinBum
02-28-2008, 08:11 PM
I am just stoked that Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung and Wilson Yip are all teaming up again. SPL was pretty awesome and I look forward to this.

BTW, when the hell is Flashpoint coming out on DVD in the U.S?

doug maverick
02-29-2008, 10:17 AM
its already out on dvd in the us. if your waiting for the dragon dynasty release then go to their site (http://www.dragondynasty.com)

RAYNYSC
02-29-2008, 10:37 AM
You can find here in New York in fact it's been out here for at least 3 months give or take a month.....

HtownShaolinBum
02-29-2008, 05:56 PM
its already out on dvd in the us. if your waiting for the dragon dynasty release then go to their site (http://www.dragondynasty.com)

What the frick? I didnt know it was out already. Is it a good release? I am kind of a perfectionist and like to wait for a definitive release rather than buying a crap one and regretting it.

Edit: checked dragon dynasty. Trailer looks sweet! 2 disc edition coming out april 22. I think I can wait until then. I will want this edition to see the interviews. Donnie Yen gives pretty good interviews and they are usually in English.

doug maverick
05-17-2008, 04:47 AM
ok since people have seem to be sleeping on whats looking like one of the best kung fu films of all time. i decided to update everybody. filming has already commenced on yip man here is the full cast list:

Director
Wilson Yip

Producer/Presenter
Raymond Wong

Action director
Sammo Hung

Cast
Donnie Yen ... Yip Man
Simon Yam ... Zhou Qing Quan
Fan Siu-Wong ... Jin Shan Zhao
Lynn Hung ... Zhang Zhang Yong Cheng
Gordon Lam ... Li Zhao
Li Ze ... Yip Chun
Xing Yu ... Master Zealot Lin
Wong You Nam ... Shao Dan Yuan
Li Qi Long ... Green Dragon
Chen Zhi Hui ... Master Liao
Zhou Zhong ... Master He
To Yu Hang ... Hu Wei
Hiroyuki Ikeuchi ... Miura
Shibuya Tama ... Japanese General
Zhong Han Hao ... Clothing Factory supervisor
Lu Mei Fang ... Clothing Factory worker
Gu Yin ... Clothing Factory worker
Bian Zheng ... Clothing Factory worker
Ding Yi Lan ... Clothing Factory worker
Xu Ming Yu ... Clothing Factory worker
Fan Yu Lin ... Clothing Factory worker
Shi Rui Jun ... Clothing Factory worker
Wang Zheng ... Clothing Factory worker
Liu Jun ... Clothing Factory worker
Gao Yuan ... Clothing Factory worker
Yang Xu Feng ... Clothing Factory worker
Cai Rong Jun ... Clothing Factory worker
Wang Hui Liang ... Clothing Factory worker
Xu Chuan Jian ... Clothing Factory worker
Lu Kai ... Jin Shan Zhao's Bodyguard
Mao Wen Jun ... Jin Shan Zhao's Bodyguard
Jin Gang ... Jin Shan Zhao's Bodyguard
Zhang Bo ... Jin Shan Zhao's Bodyguard
Chen Ka Da ... Yip's Steward
Wang Xiao Fang ... Yip's Maid
Sheng Qi Rong ... Li Zhao's father
Han Meng Xin ... Li Zhao's daughter

as you see this film also has donnie reteaming with simon yam as well as sammo and wilson.

also here are some images from wu-jing.org:

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/ar...n-Yip-Man.html

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/ar...n-Yip-Man.html

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/ar...r-Yip-Man.html

and to cap it all off here is a press conference where donnie talks about getting an eye injury on the set of the film which is his second in his career his first was delivered by jet li's old stunt double hung yan yan on the set of once upon a time in china 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cDoDY-aNFA

also check out the awesome clips from the film. in my opinion and from the clips i've seen this film is going to be like fearless meets fist of fury. i can't wait, release date is looking like december 19 08. but i hope it comes out faster then that.

doug maverick
07-20-2008, 02:14 PM
just thought i'd give another update to this film:http://v.sohu.com/20080720/n258257758.shtml this vid has a good amount of footage of the film. the press conference is a few months old thou.

LoneTiger108
07-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Much better than the clip I saw on Youtube...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=W-i5XDtyymQ

An interesting mix :)

doug maverick
07-30-2008, 02:19 PM
here's some more behind the scenes footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnVgHtTsXjA

doug maverick
09-01-2008, 03:26 PM
yip man has finally wraped and is set for december 19, 2008 read up on it at wu-jing.org (http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/548-Its-A-Wrap-For-Ip-Man.html)

NJM
09-01-2008, 04:24 PM
Student: "Sifu Yip Man, we must protect the lineage!"

Yip Man: "Yes... we have to conceal the true applications of the forms, and drills... but how?"

Student: "Sifu, we can strip away the application, and give the true Chun to only the worthy."

Yip Man: "Excellent. We can call the true system "_ing _un", and the false, empty system "_ing _un!"

Student: "Posterity will thank us, Sifu, for saving them from years of lineage wars and whining."

doug maverick
09-01-2008, 09:58 PM
save the wing chun *****ing for the wing chun forum. this thread is about a kung fu movie.

NJM
09-01-2008, 10:45 PM
save the wing chun *****ing for the wing chun forum. this thread is about a kung fu movie.

No sense of humor, tut tut.

Lighten up.

doug maverick
09-01-2008, 11:29 PM
dude i got the joke. but you didn't get mine.

NJM
09-02-2008, 12:21 AM
dude i got the joke. but you didn't get mine.

**** star censor.

Shaolinlueb
09-05-2008, 11:47 AM
does donnie yen actually use wing chun in this? or jsut elements and tis all wushu fighting?

doug maverick
09-05-2008, 11:51 AM
and you'll have all the answers

Silent Assassin
10-13-2008, 10:12 AM
Ip Man (http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/kick-ass-trailer-for-ip-man/) trailer, starring Donnie Yen

Zenshiite
10-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Count me in.

Hebrew Hammer
10-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Looks tight!!! Nice to see a Wing Chun film.

sanjuro_ronin
10-14-2008, 04:17 AM
Ah Donnie, he can sell any MA out there, he is just that freaking good.
Looking forward to see this.

冠木侍
10-16-2008, 10:40 PM
All of his movies that I was able to watch were pretty **** good. This one looks as if it will fall into that category.

brothernumber9
11-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Yip Man movie trailer starring Donnie Yen as Yip Man.
http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=SHSs-_9Q-bk

peace&love
11-11-2008, 03:40 PM
I just watched the trailer, and this movie looks fantastic. I've always enjoyed playing hands, but I have never been big working on Wing Chun. My former sifu would have Saturday classes on Wing Chun techniques, but they were a small part of what we learned. I did visit a Wing Chun school and considered joining, but missed the variety that's found in many other styles. Seeing this footage though, makes me want to rethink some of that. Perhaps one day, I will take a closer look at learning Wing Chun in greater detail. One thing is for certain, the fight scenes in this film look great and I hope it has some emotional content and meat to it story wise as well.

GeneChing
11-12-2008, 10:36 AM
With the WKW/Tony Leung project, it's going to be dueling Ip Mans...:rolleyes:

"Ip Man" to Be Released in December (http://english.cri.cn/3086/2008/11/10/1221s422717.htm)
2008-11-10 16:48:13 CRIENGLISH.com

Hong Kong action movie "Ip Man" will open on December 19 in Chinese theatres for the year-end box office battle.

The movie, helmed by director Wilson Yip, is adapted from the story of Ip Man. It retells the life of the grand master of Wing Chun martial arts, known internationally as Bruce Lee's teacher.

Ip Man is played by kung fu star Donnie Yen. He spent nine months learning Wing Chun, Yen told the Dahe Daily.

One of Hong Kong's most popular partnerships, Wong Kar Wai and Tony Leung, will also make a biopic of the kung fu master. Their movie will start filming next summer, a report said.

TaichiMantis
11-28-2008, 06:59 PM
Any US release date, or only on dvd?:confused:

doug maverick
11-28-2008, 09:43 PM
hopefully it will get released but who knows. it comes out next month. csnt wait to see it.

iron_silk
12-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Since the Donnie Yen movie is approved by Ip Man's family (which hopefully means as accurate history and kung fu as possible) then why is Wong Kar Wai also making another movie of the same topic?

Is Wong Kar Wai movie also approved by the family?

Isn't the financial backers worried that no one want to watch a movie on the same topic again so close together? (even though Wong Kar Wai's movies are quite...eh...unique)

any thoughts?

doug maverick
12-01-2008, 12:33 PM
ok this is an easy answer. the donnie yen/wilson yip film is really not 100% acurate and is actually more of a folk lore kung fu movie ala wong fei hung. it deals more with the martial arts element more then anything else. WKW's film on the other hand will ofcourse be more of an art house peice an while it will have kung fu in it, cannot be construed as a kung fu movie more biographical, also the ip family has approved b oth movies. not that it matters mind you, plus both films deal with different phases of th masters life the DY/WY film deal with a younger ip man while the WKW/tony lueng one deals with an older ip man. as for investors, films are made about the same subject matter all the time and they do quite well. i remember after capote came out, a slew of other capote type film came right behind it all to some degree of success. Even still, look at wong fei hung, well over a hundred different movies have been made about him over the last 70 years or so, again with various degrees of success.

iron_silk
12-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Thanks Doug Maverick! I guess that makes sense and I look forward to seeing a bald Tony Leung.

I just watched Ip Man trailer...what's with him fighting a room full of guys in karate gi? I mean did this actually happen or did Donnie insisting of constantly fulfilling his "Fist of Fury" fantasy in projects he makes?

Just curious.

doug maverick
12-02-2008, 05:40 PM
i doubt that, that happened at least in that manner but hey you never know.lol, again this is more of a based on a true story type thing, alot of artistic license was taken im sure.

Lucas
12-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Any US release date, or only on dvd?:confused:

im guessing that maybe in a few locations only, if that. maybe some festival?

ill probably just buy a dvd from china as soon as i can ;)

doug maverick
12-02-2008, 08:24 PM
just a warning never get the mainland chinese release of any movie. they chop the **** out of it. look at spl thy cut alot out in the chinese version. i mean some stuff i understand like where the drug dealers are banging this girl out and she is naked, ok. but the dramtic twist at the end when he push's donnie out the window and he falls on top of sammo's characters wife and kid. u cant just take that part out. they did the same thing in quite few movies i can name PRC man PRC thats all i got to say. i woujld wit for the HK release. before getting any dvd.

冠木侍
12-03-2008, 12:05 AM
Hmm...I don't remember the part about the girl in the domestic release of SPL but the ending was there.

It'll get a dvd release eventually. Good thing I am patient.

doug maverick
12-05-2008, 09:59 AM
looks like yip man is going to be a hit

Positive Responses at Ip Man Test Screening
-- Ip Man --

Test screening for Ip Man was held in Beijing on Dec 4. Based on the survey sheets returned by the audience, it's an unanimous recommendation. Donnie Yen's portrayal of Yip Man was billed as the year's best performance. Donnie Yen has acquitted himself well as a great master, besting his two other works this year. High marks were also given to Fan Siu Wong, Lam Ka Tung, and Lynn Hung.

The first half of the film is filled with more laidback, humourous moments, amply showing Ip Man's kungfu. The second half is thoughtful, stirring and nationalistic, amply showing Ip Man's grandmaster spirit. As a traditional kungfu film, Ip Man's martial arts scenes were awarded 8 to 9 out of 10 by 85% of the audience, while full marks were given by the rest.

Ip Man premieres on December 14 and opens in theatres on December 16. Beijing Times

doug maverick
12-15-2008, 10:01 PM
ip man took in on its opening day, critics are claiming donnie yen's portrayal of yip man is as good as chow yun fat's li mu bai, i always take alot of these chinese reviews with a grain of salt since i know for a fact that most of those reviewers can be bought(sucks to say) i read a spoiler ridden review, and they took a huge liberty with this film that i wont even say just saying that the ip man in this movie can join fifty cents record label and no he doesn't rap, but think about it and you'll get it. but with that said i still cant wait to watch this one and i have been invited to watch it at my friends wing chun kwoon, so i'll get a immediate reaction from some members of the wing chun community.

GeneChing
12-16-2008, 10:15 AM
...reviewers don't make that much. It's a hard industry - reviewing - because everyone wants that job. Your opinion has to resonate across the most readers to retain a readership. It's tough starting out.

But back OT, Ip Man does look very promising, eh? Who will be the first here in with a review?

Donnie Yen takes on the role of his life (http://www.star-ecentral.com/news/story.asp?file=/2008/12/16/movies/2795492&sec=movies)
By MICHAEL CHEANG

Despite countless action movies under his belt, Donnie Yen confesses that it was no easy task playing the grandmaster of Wing Chun.

First things first – the title Ip Man is pronounced as “Eep-Man”, not “I-P Man”, and it’s certainly not a movie about a superhero called Internet Protocol Man going around saving computers from spam.

It is the biopic of one of the most celebrated martial arts grandmasters of recent times – Ip Man, grandmaster of Wing Chun.

Besides being a grandmaster of one of the most practised martial arts styles in the world, Ip Man is also known as the teacher of a certain kung fu legend named Bruce Lee.
The man: Ip Man (Donnie Yen) hones his skills on a Wing Chun wooden dummy.

In view of that, who better to portray the man than a martial arts actor who was once hailed as the actor with the closest fighting style to that of the late Lee himself – Donnie Yen?

While Yen himself was up to the task, he admits that it was no easy role to play.

In fact, during an exclusive interview with the American-born actor in Hong Kong recently, Yen explained that he spent more time researching and preparing for the role than any other movie he has ever done, as the movie is not only a biography about a well-known kung fu master who not only influenced Bruce Lee, but is also a master of the most practised martial arts style all over the world.

“To portray a character like this, any actor must be fully prepared to the most accurate and truest to both the historical facts and the characteristics of the character,” Yen said. “I spent a great deal of time researching and preparing for this role, far more than any other role I have ever done ... no, far more than every role combined!”

According to Yen, Ip Man is a character that is very different from the usual stereotypical kung fu master one usually sees in the movies.

“Ip Man was a very family-oriented man. He was also very subtle, and never forced his philosophy or style on others. His personality was like that of your next-door neighbour – very down to earth and humble, and I think this sort of personality will appeal to audiences of all ages and gender.

“You can relate to a person like this because he is a very soft spoken, down to earth and a nice guy. It just happens that he is a kung fu master as well!” he said with a laugh.

Living the role

Directed by Wilson Yip (SPL, Flash Point), the movie focuses on Ip Man’s rise to prominence during the 1930s, when the wushu craze was at its height in his home village of Foshan as well as the hardships he faced during the Japanese occupation of China.
The villain: Fan Siu Wong is Ip Man’s nemesis, Jin Shan Zhao.

The movie also stars Lynn Hung as his wife Cheung Wing-sing, Simon Yam, Lam Ka Tung, and Hiroyuki Ikeuchi.

Surprisingly, this is the first ever movie based on the legendary kung fu grandmaster, despite several attempts in the past.

Yen was cast in the role a decade ago by directors Jeffery Lau and Corey Yuen, but that particular project fell through when the production company went bust.

Thus, when he finally managed to make this movie, it felt as though he was fulfilling his destiny.

“I feel like I’ve always been destined to play this role. A decade ago, I was cast in the role and even signed contracts and received deposits for it, but the movie was cancelled,” he recalled.

“Then when I was in China (in 2007) doing An Empress and the Warriors, I received a call from (producer) Raymond Wong, asking me to do Ip Man. He also said that he had full support from the Ip family, particularly his eldest son Ip Chun.

“From that moment, I told myself I would spend more time than ever preparing for it.”

While preparing for the role, Yen not only did as much research on the legend as he could, he also tried to be Ip Man as well.

“I wasn’t just acting the role – I actually lived it. I was totally in that world to come out as accurate as possible. My mind and spirit was all about playing Ip.

“For example, I would wear his clothes all around the hotel, drink tea the way he used to, and even changed the way I walked and talked,” he said. “I usually do things and talk very quickly, but Ip is a lot more laid-back. So I adjusted my tempo, and slowed everything down.”

Physically, Yen also had to go on a special regime just so he could look like the master.

“For a while, I was pretty muscular so I had to go on a diet to slim down. I was eating one meal a day, sometimes just drinking a glass of water, just to make sure that physically, I would look exactly like Ip, who is very scholarly and slim.

“I would also discuss every single detail of the role with the director to make sure we got it right. Sometimes we even called Ip Chun to ask him if his father would do something like that.”

Action and direction

While the role was Yen’s hardest emotionally and mentally, in terms of the physical aspect of it, the actor was glad to have the equally legendary martial arts expert, Sammo Hung, around to direct the action sequences.

Yip and Yen decided to hire Hung mainly because of his experience on two past movies that involved the Wing Chun style – 1982’s The Prodigal Son and 1978’s Warriors Two (Zan Xian Sheng Yu Zhao Qian Hua).

“Those two films for me were the most accurate Wing Chun movies ever made, and our mission here is to top that,” said Yen. “It was also great to have Sammo on board to do the action, so that I could concentrate 100% on just acting the role.”

Ip Man also marks the fourth time that Yen and Yip are working together, and they both agree that this may be their best movie together yet.

“After working together three times, we are already familiar with each other’s strengths and weaknesses. However, this is probably the best collaboration we have ever had yet, in terms of the distribution of work, ideas and chemistry,” said Yip.

For director Yip, the greatest challenge of the movie was deciding on what period of Ip’s life to focus on. “In the beginning, we had a hard time deciding when to set the movie in. Do we choose the part where he meets Bruce Lee? Or his life during the Japanese occupation?” said Yip.

“Our biggest concern was that we would not be able to do justice to the memory of Ip Man, and would not live up to the expectations of his family.”

At the end of the day, Yen’s ultimate goal for the movie is not to showcase the Wing Chun fighting style, but to highlight the positive moral values that Ip Man stood for.

“We wanted to do this movie because Ip Man was a man who inspired the world and society as a whole. He was a man who believed in certain morals and principles, and we want to use this movie as a platform to convey those values to the audience. For me, that was the most important part of making this movie,” concluded Yip.

Ip Man opens in Malaysian cinemas on Thursday.

sanjuro_ronin
12-16-2008, 10:35 AM
I am really looking forward to this movie, not only as a an of DY and Sammo, but SPL and Flashpoint were quite excellent.
The trailer shows some nice fighting.

doug maverick
12-16-2008, 11:20 AM
In fact, during an exclusive interview with the American-born actor in Hong Kong recently,

guy needs to get his fact straight, considering donnie on move to the states when he was 11 or 12.

as for ip man, me either but i hope people know that this movie is like 70% inaccurate. at least thats the way its looking from the reviews i read and the trailers. it looks like they are gonna make ip man the new wong fei hung.

doug maverick
12-16-2008, 12:26 PM
just found this footage on facebook of all places.

behind the scenes 1 (http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=31100337977)

shooting diary (http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=33333487977)

Jimbo
12-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Looks like this will be a fun watch. I'm looking forward to it on DVD, as I'm fairly certain it won't get a U.S. theatrical release. *Maybe* in limited art-house release, which may or may not even come here. Though I agree that they'll probably be making Ip Man into the new Wong Fei Hong (and Huo Yuan Jia).

doug maverick
12-21-2008, 01:45 PM
are already doing, use the bruce lee connect. anyway here is donnie talking about ip man in english (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y67D9I5MRqg)

doug maverick
12-22-2008, 10:24 PM
Director eyes pop singer to star as Bruce Lee

HONG KONG — He lists Jet Li as one of his idols, penned a song called "Nunchucks" and his most recent movie is called "Kung Fu Dunk." Now he's in the running to star as the ultimate martial arts icon — Bruce Lee.

Hong Kong director Wilson Yip said Monday he's considering Taiwanese pop sensation Jay Chou for the role of Lee in the sequel to his recently released film "Ip Man," a biography of Lee's kung fu master.

Also in his sights to star as the king of kung fu cinema is another singer-turned-actor, Hong Kong's Aaron Kwok.

"Aaron Kwok will bring his unique qualities to the role of Bruce Lee. Jay Chou will bring his unique qualities. I will prepare a different script for each actor and see who is interested," Yip told The Associated Press.

He said Hong Kong actor Donnie Yen will reprise his role as the title character, Ip Man.

"Ip Man" is based on the life of the legendary master of wing chun — a kung fu style that traces its roots to a monk from the famed Shaolin Temple.

The film ends with Ip's move from his southern Chinese hometown of Foshan to neighboring Hong Kong to escape the Communist takeover of the mainland. It was in Hong Kong where Ip met 13-year-old Lee and took him under his wing.

Yip said the follow-up film will focus on Ip's relationship with his most famous disciple.

Polly Chan, a publicist for Hong Kong's Mandarin Films Ltd., confirmed that the company has plans to make a sequel but the final decision depends on the box office results for the original.

"Ip Man" took in about 30 million Chinese yuan ($4.4 million) on its opening weekend Dec. 12 in China, a solid performance in a country where a movie that makes 100 million yuan ($15 million) is considered a hit.

Lee, who died in Hong Kong in 1973 at age 32 from swelling of the brain, was born in San Francisco but grew up in Hong Kong, where he launched his big screen career as an international martial arts superstar. His credits include "The Chinese Connection," ''Enter the Dragon" and "Return of the Dragon."

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/140677/D...r-as-Bruce-Lee

so what do you guys think, im personally disappointed with the choices i dont think chou or kwok has the chops to play bruce.

GeneChing
12-23-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm not a fan of Chou. I liked him in CotGF (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43349) but thought Kung Fu Dunk (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49939) was silly. I really felt he was trying to do Lee in KFD and that's what spoiled it (apart from being a rip off of Shaolin Soccer (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46486))

Extra points to whoever can find a link to the nunchucks song. :D

I think right now the best man for Lee would be Danny Chan Kwok Kwan from The Legend of Bruce Lee (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48376).

doug maverick
12-25-2008, 04:06 AM
i actually hated him in curse of the golden flower, he didnt remind me of a warrior prince, it might be nit picking and im sure it is but his, movement his speech and even his got ****ed walk was way to modern and untrained. if your going to do a period peice you have to live in that period. watch all the great period films and even the bad ones and you'll see what i mean, about living in the period. i actually feel like i should start a petition or something. why don't they give the role to one of the jackie chan disciple winners, jack tu or because of his wing chun skills my boy jerry. at least they are young enough to play a teenage lee, hell jerry still is a teenager. or some other young martial arts talent thats out there. this is bruce mutha fu cking lee we are talking about.

Eddie
12-25-2008, 04:52 AM
this movie just hit the streets of china this past week or so. I got a copy, but it didnt work, and only saw on the net now that it has only been released in china about 12 days ago (though I can swear I've seen the posters even before that ... ).

Will wait another week or so to get a better quality of the dvd.

anyways, heres the trailor. http://www.ipman-movie.com/main_en.html

btw - the release of the movie is what sparked the argument between Wu jing and the Wing chun community in HK

doug maverick
12-26-2008, 12:09 AM
you been on the board for ten years, and u dont know that A. what u posted has already been posted and B. anything media related goes here, martial media and popular culture (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15) save the mods the trouble. and i figured thats what sparked it, which leads me even more to believe it a media ploy, because wujings movie is not doing so well.

Eddie
12-26-2008, 02:15 AM
I don’t know what your issue with me is, but give it a break please. I’m working over Christmas, Im bored, Im enjoying this forum. Theres not much else going on here.

Its either of topic banter or taking about the Green Grass monk over here. The main forum is all about American politics and MMA this and BJJ that …

If you have a personal issue with me, message me in private. Otherwise please ignore my posts if you have nothing to say.

;)

Infrazael
12-26-2008, 07:22 AM
Take a fawking chill pill Doug Maverick.

Don't know what your problem is with Eddie but he is legit and if you DO have a problem with him take it to PM's and stop polluting every fawking thread he participates in.

/End

hskwarrior
12-26-2008, 08:13 AM
yeah what they said! lol

now let's get back to the green grass monk okay!!!!!! :p

doug maverick
12-26-2008, 09:54 AM
Take a fawking chill pill Doug Maverick.

Don't know what your problem is with Eddie but he is legit and if you DO have a problem with him take it to PM's and stop polluting every fawking thread he participates in.

/End

uh yeah if you read my post. and my other post then you would know there is no problem with him at all. i think your the one who needs a chill pill.

CLFNole
12-26-2008, 12:51 PM
The only movie I cared for with Jay Chou was Initial D, the drifting in the movie was pretty cool and besides Wong Chow San played his dad.

iron_silk
12-26-2008, 08:59 PM
uh yeah if you read my post. and my other post then you would know there is no problem with him at all. i think your the one who needs a chill pill.

Doug we chatted before and I know you seem like a friendly guy.

And although the topic should be apart of a different section of the forum they take issue with the fact that you come across like the Forum Police!

The Mod's would (over time) simply come and say "it belong there" and simply move it.

But you my friend is there at Post#2 harping on people a little. No offense intended just my two cents.

iwingchun
12-28-2008, 03:11 PM
Hello everyone,

the videos of the movie above is here: http://www.wing-chun.ws/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=239-ip-man-trailer-bio&catid=36-giatacomments&Itemid=58 :P

Matrix
12-28-2008, 07:59 PM
I guess it's just me, but something about this movie doesn't seem to work for me. Maybe when I see the actual film, versus clips, I'll have a different opinion. I'm just not expecting too much. :o

Cheers,
Bill

First Blood
12-29-2008, 01:46 PM
As kung fu flicks go its certainly entertaining unless ur japanese then it might seem a bit of a p***take:)

Its on the internet now but it might be worth waiting to see it on the big screen.....i couldn't wait ;)

Dont take the movie too seriously as its probably more fiction than fact and you will wont be disappointed.

Now expect your class attendances to double :D

Lucas
12-29-2008, 02:02 PM
related thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52218)

ShawnObi
12-30-2008, 10:22 AM
These are total spoilers of the film.

Watch or avoid. Your choice....

Donnie Yen fight scene
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7MQ9ijlfM1o

Fan Siu Wong fight scene
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=P6RACcAQVxs

Donnie Yen vs Fan Siu Wong
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=lt34aHAFkV8

Fight for Rice
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=fRmcmhoQdH4

Factory workers vs Bandits
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=fUDUftPdlWw

Dojo fight
http://www.youtube.com/wa...NtTk&feature=channel_page

Final fight
http://www.youtube.com/wa...TuoM&feature=channel_page

Phil Redmond
12-30-2008, 07:53 PM
I just ordered a copy online. I hope it's worth it.

Phil Redmond
12-30-2008, 08:41 PM
These are total spoilers of the film.

Watch or avoid. Your choice....

Donnie Yen fight scene
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7MQ9ijlfM1o

Fan Siu Wong fight scene
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=P6RACcAQVxs

Donnie Yen vs Fan Siu Wong
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=lt34aHAFkV8

Fight for Rice
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=fRmcmhoQdH4

Factory workers vs Bandits
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=fUDUftPdlWw

Dojo fight
http://www.youtube.com/wa...NtTk&feature=channel_page

Final fight
http://www.youtube.com/wa...TuoM&feature=channel_page
I ordered a copy online so I'll wait. ;)

doug maverick
12-30-2008, 10:39 PM
i watched a few good ****. but not all cause then whats the point of watching the movie. phil u could just go down to mott street, across from bok lei po. they'll have it im sure.

TenTigers
12-30-2008, 11:37 PM
is it available in english and cantonese?

doug maverick
12-31-2008, 01:02 AM
not in english. but with english subs.

SimonM
12-31-2008, 07:04 AM
this movie just hit the streets of china this past week or so. I got a copy, but it didnt work, and only saw on the net now that it has only been released in china about 12 days ago (though I can swear I've seen the posters even before that ... ).

Will wait another week or so to get a better quality of the dvd.

anyways, heres the trailor. http://www.ipman-movie.com/main_en.html

btw - the release of the movie is what sparked the argument between Wu jing and the Wing chun community in HK

Eddie:

It's not uncommon for a DVD of an anticipated movie in China to hit DVDs a month before theatrical release. Somebody gets their hands on a studio copy, pirates the hell out of it and voila.

ShawnObi
12-31-2008, 07:15 AM
What site did you buy it from?

Lucas
12-31-2008, 10:10 AM
another related link: fight spoiler vids. (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=903620#post903620)

Phil Redmond
12-31-2008, 02:41 PM
What site did you buy it from?
On ebay but with no subtitles

RedJunkRebel
12-31-2008, 03:15 PM
I was able to see the movie in Cantonese. Although I don't speak Cantonese, other than martial arts terms... I loved it. For me, its the sheer idea of having a movie dedicated to Yip Man, and therefore our art, that is so exciting. I think I was more excited about seeing IP MAN than my wife was of seeing Sex & The City... and that's saying ALOT!.

Eddie
12-31-2008, 09:40 PM
yeah. We watched Madagascar 2 two nights before the world Premier ;)

First Blood
01-01-2009, 04:37 AM
Interestingly in the film when he fights the karate guys in the film you get a close up of Yip Man's bloodied fist with the first 2 knuckles red.......just curious are you suppose to impact using the first 2 knuckles in WC as i always used the last 3 ?

couch
01-01-2009, 07:39 AM
Interestingly in the film when he fights the karate guys in the film you get a close up of Yip Man's bloodied fist with the first 2 knuckles red.......just curious are you suppose to impact using the first 2 knuckles in WC as i always used the last 3 ?

Depends on your lineage. LOL

Go hit a heavy bag really hard with Wing Chun structure and the "which knuckles should I hit with" gets all sorted out. I tend to hit with the whole fist as this helps with impact and weird wrist angles that can appear on the bag and therefore in real life.

YMMV.

Shadow_warrior8
01-01-2009, 10:59 PM
I have watched the show, loved it

Its great to hear Sigung Ip Chun, and others talk about the movie, and it authencity of action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEd3sPd2UvY

Shadow_warrior8
01-01-2009, 11:03 PM

Wingchun

Kuen has Sam Jiem(3 sharps aka last 3 knuckles),

Palm has Sam Gwok(3 angles)

SimonM
01-02-2009, 01:09 PM
I think I had Underworld 2 and the Wish both about a month before the theatrical debut.

TenTigers
01-02-2009, 01:46 PM
JEEZ! WTF is WRONG with you guys! Take it to another freakin area!!!!

hahahahahahaha! Jes kidding!:p Oh, I kill me. That was good. No, really.I gotta stop, my stomach hurts.

Eddie
01-02-2009, 06:58 PM
My sifu can beat up your sifu Ten tigers.

My schools sow choy is better than your sow choy. Ours is more superior, and no other CLF school does it the same. The green grass monk .... ;)

Happy new year to you sir! :)

CLFNole
01-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Yip who? .........

Uh oh I better duck!!! :p

Just kidding for the WC folks, actually I am looking forward to both flicks but Donnie Yen's more.

doug maverick
01-03-2009, 09:15 AM
at least on this thread, there are literally three threads, one in the southern style and one in the wing chun section, **** nobody looks before they leap. ok enough

so last night i watched ip man, which was hands down they most talked about kug fu movie of 08, ong bak two was the only film that came close and only because tony jaa got in over his head. so i went into this film, not seeing as a biopic from the trailer it was plainly obvious that this would be a folk hero movie and that is exactly what it was. the story opens up with yip man man practicing on the mook joong and then moves to show kwoon alley(it was called dojo alley with my subs) and all the various schools practicing, then we see yip mans mansion and his family and son, and ip man is fighting a challenge with a fellow master(i skipped a dinner scene). the film was very reminiscent of fearless with the challenge match's and kung fu alley, with the exception that while huo yun jai was arrogant in the beginning ip man was more humble. the film also made me think of the famous ****ens line it was the best of time it was the worst of times. as you see fatshan go from a grand city with a booming industry to a decimated wasteland after the japanese invasion and occupation, all the prominent masters including ip man are forced to do manuel labor to feed there families, this is when the film kicks into high gear and goes into folk hero land, as ip man becomes a hero for the chinese people, blah blah blah you know the story you've seen it hundreds of time. ok my thing with this film is, why didn't they just make it a true to life biography. i mean its known that yip man did not start teaching till he was in hong kong and only did it to support his family, but in the movie they show him teaching some workers, also while i did hear he had ran into a problem with the japanese which caused him to flee fatshan, im sure it wasnt to the degree it was shown in the movie, i mean they just ripped that whole sale from the chinese connection, also im more then sure that yip man had two sons yet they only showed ip chun. one character i particularly liked was the japanese character which like in fearless wasnt the stereotypical japanese monster as portrayed in these types of movies but a warrior of honor, but the other character i liked was the stereotypical japanese monster, just for sheer entertainment his scenes made me laugh when he was beating people with this big ass stick.
now you ask how was the fights? donnie and sammo were trying to make the fights better then prodigal son.......no dice, while the fights were fantastic and well done they didnt even come close to the originality and sheer force of the prodigal son fights, which while sammo has got the accolades for it, the fights were choreagraphed by not just him but lam ching ying and yuen biao as well. the reason being is repetition, wing chun has a plethora of techniques, but donnie resulted in using just the same five or six over and over, which may work for a fighter but not in a movie. so while this film is getting a blow job from all the reviewers i gotta say i was a bit disappointed, but just a bit. donnie yens acting and wilson yips directing were at top peak if i do say so myself.

jack
01-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Is it still the same old story line. Chinese vs japanese or chinese vs western boxer.

Chinese Kungfu master was challenged by japanese kungfu master. Chinese kungfu master was being forced to with the japanese kungfu master & in the end he won the fight.:p

doug maverick
01-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Is it still the same old story line. Chinese vs japanese or chinese vs western boxer.

Chinese Kungfu master was challenged by japanese kungfu master. Chinese kungfu master was being forced to with the japanese kungfu master & in the end he won the fight.:p

there are no western boxers in this film. i saw it, its good, not great but good. you can check my review on the official ip man thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=904020#post904020) i say official because we down in the pop thread have been talking about this film for a year.

mickey
01-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Greetings,

I saw the clips that were posted on the other thread on this movie. First, let it be known that I have great respect for the Wing Chun style. I was very disappointed with the choreography. I did not like the way the character Fan Siu Wang was choreographed. the moves were much too slow. I saw no need to "dumb down" any other style to make Wing Chun look good on screen; that is to say that Wing Chun looks good on screen to begin with. Considering the number of high level Wing Chun practitoners that are still alive, why weren't they involved?

Question: Did anyone find the Chopping sword that the character Fan Siu Wang used a bit small?

mickey

jack
01-04-2009, 06:58 AM
In these chinese kungfu movies, u will always get to watch the common scenes:

Chinese kungfu master vs japanese karate master/sumo wrestler;
Chinese kungfu master vs western boxer/kickboxing champion;
Chinese kungfu master vs muaythai master

And the story always end with....... Chinese kungfu master won the fights.:D

The story doesn't quite attract me much but the fighting stunts are quite attractive to watch.

Almost A Ghost
01-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Just watched it last night. Entertaining, not the greatest, but probably the most realistic Wing Chun movie fight scenes you will ever see LOL.

For the history buffs, like myself, you're going to have to turn off that part of your brain to enjoy the film. ;)

First Blood
01-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Wonder what Yip Man's surviving friends and students in China thought of this movie ?

In the film was the factory boss son suppose to be Lun Gai (Yip Man's 1st student) ?

It was fact that he taught factory workers at a cotton mill and according to Yip Chun he did indeed jam a policeman's gun and popped the barrel out with his hands though not sure about the real circumstances of that incident.

Almost A Ghost
01-04-2009, 06:51 PM
^^^ The story, if I remember what I read correctly, is that Ip Man was a police officer and he did that to the gun of a guy causing trouble in a park. His sons served as consultants on the film, but the writers took a lot of liberty LOL

First Blood
01-05-2009, 11:21 AM
Sadly it does seem like Yip chun was invited to add marketing rather than real credibility !

GeneChing
01-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Some good action sequences for sure. As to it's authenticity to Wing Chun, well, Wing Chun people argue about authenticity of the different lineages so much that there's no way a movie would satisfy them. I'd say it's more authentic than Michelle Yeoh's Wing Chun (http://www.martialartsmart.net/dvd50012.html) (ironically also starring Donnie) but not nearly as authentic as Prodigal Son (http://www.martialartsmart.net/dvd60198.html). Still, if you want to see authenticity of kung fu, you shouldn't be looking for it in the movies. Same goes for the story. This is not a documentary. It's highly fictionalized, like Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story. It's entertainment, not history.

That being said, it was very entertaining. The first half of the film was well paced with lots of fun fights. What I like about Donnie is that he really adopts different styles in his films. If you look at Bruce, Jackie, Jet, or even Jaa now, they each have a signature style of fighting that's uniquely their own. You can see others trying to emulate that. Donnie goes the other way. He's a total chameleon when it comes to choreography. In this film, he blends wirework and some solid cinematography into a Wing Chun homage. Donnie acts with his body better than with his face. He even adopts the head-forward stoop that Ip Man has in photos (not sure if that was a product of age or his practice). I felt the second part of the film got a bit too melodramatic, somewhat failing to deliver on the action-packed promise of the earlier scenes. But in the end, it was satisfactory.

Donnie is painfully cool as Ip Man. He's the ultimate martial hero in the true sense of wuxia. Wing Chun should be proud that their grandmaster was depicted in such a glorious light. Is Ip Man the new Wong Feihung? Perhaps.

The sets were magnificent in detail and the style really seemed to capture the period (although I can't imagine old China was quite so clean ever). Many of the scenes used different color washes, often sepia tones, while picking up certain colors and amplifying them through special effects. It was akin to that classic red jacket scene in Schindler's List, but it worked in this film to give the feeling of vintage hand-painted photos of the period. It got a little overdone in some parts for me, but it worked overall.

My favorite part was to see Shi Xingwu in a very different role than he's played before. He was Coolie in Kung Fu Hustle (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28036)and a villain Flashpoint (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46000). He's also a former Shaolin monk from the Wushuguan who I met in 1995. It was good to see him play a good guy.

TinTin_57
01-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Just seen the film today and I was impressed. My favourite piece of action was when Ip Man takes out the 10 Japanese fighters.

Should help get the number of Wing Chun practitioners up this year ;)

sanjuro_ronin
01-07-2009, 01:14 PM
. Still, if you want to see authenticity of kung fu, you shouldn't be looking for it in the movies. Same goes for the story. This is not a documentary. It's highly fictionalized, like Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story. It's entertainment, not history.

That being said, it was very entertaining. The first half of the film was well paced with lots of fun fights. What I like about Donnie is that he really adopts different styles in his films. If you look at Bruce, Jackie, Jet, or even Jaa now, they each have a signature style of fighting that's uniquely their own. You can see others trying to emulate that. Donnie goes the other way. He's a total chameleon when it comes to choreography. In this film, he blends wirework and some solid cinematography into a Wing Chun homage. Donnie acts with his body better than with his face. He even adopts the head-forward stoop that Ip Man has in photos (not sure if that was a product of age or his practice). I felt the second part of the film got a bit too melodramatic, somewhat failing to deliver on the action-packed promise of the earlier scenes. But in the end, it was satisfactory.

Donnie is painfully cool as Ip Man. He's the ultimate martial hero in the true sense of wuxia. Wing Chun should be proud that their grandmaster was depicted in such a glorious light. Is Ip Man the new Wong Feihung? Perhaps.

Very well said Gene, especially the part about Donnie, he is such a superb MA that he can "sell" any system he puts his mind and body too.

RAYNYSC
01-07-2009, 08:38 PM
I have to agree with Gene it was very entertaining.

Shadow_warrior8
01-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Sadly it does seem like Yip chun was invited to add marketing rather than real credibility !

Really?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEd3sPd2UvY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=715PAhwbVj8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ip_Man_(film)

Shadow_warrior8
01-08-2009, 12:46 PM
i mean its known that yip man did not start teaching till he was in hong kong and only did it to support his family, but in the movie they show him teaching some workers, also while i did hear he had ran into a problem with the japanese which caused him to flee fatshan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vtky5gTTbs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtbDAlKxmis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GLue5dZZIk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yip_Man
In Foshan, being a police officer, Yip Man didn't formally run a Wing Chun school, but taught to several subordinates, his friends and relatives. Amongst those informal students, Lok Yiu, Chow Kwong-yue (周光裕 (六仔)), Kwok Fu (郭富), Lun Kai (倫佳), Chan Chi-sun (陳志新) and Lui Ying (呂應) were the most well known. Chow Kwong-yue was said to be the best student among his group of pupils, but he eventually went into commerce and dropped out of martial arts all together. Kwok Fu and Lun Kai went on to teach students of their own and the Wing Chun in the Foshan and Guangdong area was mainly descended from those individuals. Chan Chi-sun died young, and Lui Ying went to Hong Kong; neither of them taking on any students.

During the Japanese occupation of China, Yip Man refused several invitations to train the Japanese troops. Instead, he went to Kwok Fu's village house.

After the war, he returned to Foshan to be a police officer again.

At the end of 1949, being a officer of the Kuomintang, he decided to escape to , when the Communists had come to Foshan.

Sicilian Tofu M
01-10-2009, 11:34 AM
on the net
http://www.zshare.net/video/5366131489e271ee/

doug maverick
01-10-2009, 11:48 AM
dude by the dvd. support

RAYNYSC
01-10-2009, 02:37 PM
For those of you who are in the new york erea you can pick up a copy in china town. the name & address of the store is NY Music 151 canal street ny 10002 Phone# (646) 6131754.

Shaolinlueb
01-10-2009, 07:08 PM
dude by the dvd. support

aherm...........

;)

ZenMonkey
01-11-2009, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the information currently in Europe and was wondering how to get my hands on a copy of the movie. Greatly appreciated.

golgo
01-11-2009, 05:52 AM
you can buy the DVD om eBAY for about 6-8 dollars + shipping.

Copywrite infringement against the Chinese movie industry? That would be a travesty:rolleyes:

I am trying to wait and see if they release it in the theaters or not. Otherwise I will probably pick up a copy of the dvd.

wetwonder
01-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Click on this link, watch the movie, and let everyone know what you think. I really liked it. But I'm not Wing Chun so I don't know how accurate it is.

http://www.zshare.net/video/5366131489e271ee/

CHS
01-14-2009, 02:58 PM
FYI, Hong Kong recently released the Ip Man movie, starring Donnie Yen. Action director is Sammo Hung. The link below shows the trailer, with English Subtitles.

http://www.ipman-movie.com/opening_en.html

Did anyone watch it already?

Thanks. CHS

Almost A Ghost
01-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Sorry man, but that news is wicked old. I've seen it, it's good.

Sifu Moore
01-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Loved it, Donnie Yen did an excellent job. I love to see WC on the big screen we need more. Cant waitr for Part 2

Ultimatewingchun
01-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Okay, Shannon Moore (how the hell are ya', anyway?)...you sold me. One of my students has the movie and is all excited about having me come over to his house with some of the other guys to see it. I was thinking it was probably just another second rate flick until your post.

wetwonder
01-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Here it is: http://www.zshare.net/video/5366131489e271ee/

BrokenTitanium
01-17-2009, 08:27 AM
I saw it, it is a good movie. I will say that I can't wait for a part 2 if there is going to be a part 2.

Phil Redmond
01-18-2009, 12:28 AM
Okay, Shannon Moore (how the hell are ya', anyway?)...you sold me. One of my students has the movie and is all excited about having me come over to his house with some of the other guys to see it. I was thinking it was probably just another second rate flick until your post.
Come to 77 Mulberry St. in Chinatown some Sat. from 3:30 - 4:30 when I'm teaching class. I can give you a copy.

wetwonder
01-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Like I said, go onto your web browser, enter this page - http://www.zshare.net/video/5366131489e271ee/ - and watch the movie on your PC or Mac.

Phil Redmond
01-18-2009, 04:34 PM
I have it already but I found the whole movie on youtube.

Pt 1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9TjaZ-iGnc

Pt. 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iizOMnkngjk&feature=related

Pt. 3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNioEPAgdyk&feature=related

Pt. 4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L9kfX2lVRM&feature=related

Pt. 5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49_W3z7AtjI&feature=related

Pt. 6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr-GDB_yz5k&feature=related

Pt. 7. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDvazQ9YLCs&feature=related

Pt. 8. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uywj8hYF1oE&feature=related

Pt. 9. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7sXo3kC4xY&feature=related

Pt.10. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lWOOKpLzWA&feature=related

Pt.11. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj4KXtPipOM&feature=related

Mr Punch
01-23-2009, 09:29 AM
What a surprise: this whole movie is a racist piece of ****. :mad:

doug maverick
01-23-2009, 09:56 AM
What a surprise: this whole movie is a racist piece of ****. :mad:

whats racist about it? did the japanese not take over parts of china and slaughter hundreds, remember seeing holocaust like footage of the countless rows of dead bodies. im sorry did this not happen? are you one of those people who believe the holocaust was a figment of the jewish peoples imagination, hyped by mass media,to make the world suffer some type of mass hysteria where we all believe it happened. i mean granted to had some stereotypes but you cant expect political correctness from HK films, i mean look at that sammo film "don't give a ****" sammo was actually in black face, was that racist maybe.

Lucas
01-23-2009, 10:54 AM
some of the most horrific images i have ever seen are of what japanese soldiers did to chinese women and children. not to mention the beheadings of chinese troops and civs.

Mr Punch
01-23-2009, 11:17 AM
W...T...F are you talking about bringing up the Holocaust? I never mentioned that: of course it happened. And yes, of course the Japanese were responsible for a lot of horrors in China. So what? The FACT is Yip Man fled Foshan to protect his family from the Chinese Nationalists, who themselves massacred and summarily executed thousands, and whose Chang Kai Shek hated the communists more than the Japanese. The Chinese Civil war killed over 3,000,000 soldiers and uncounted (and covered up by Chinese historians) civilians. Mao is estimated to have killed 50-70,000,000 by some historians.

I don't think the Japanese have any right to complain that the Chinese complain too much, or to stop saying sorry. And I don't believe financial recompense is ever enough for those horrors, but it is one of the only legitimate ways of attempting to redress some of the balance.

Japan paid a billion dollars to the Philippines, Burma, Indonesia and Vietnam between '55 and '59 (more in today's money), and ten billion later. They paid $25 billion to China and Korea in assets, reparations and indemnity for refused reparations.

Plus, they have apologised a couple of times: here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_war_apology_statements_issued_by_Japan)

I would like my country to apologise more strongly to India, China, Palestine, Iran, Kenya, Iraq and countless other countries we ****ed up too, and go some way towards real investment in their futures too.

That doesn't change the fact that in this case, it was China's atrocity and it's high time they took responsibility for them and stopped blaming the Japanese every time they want to draw attention away from their failed policies.

I know it's only a movie, and it's like taking 'Red Dawn' seriously... but that piece of **** had a jingoistic effect on its viewers too, and that was 25 years ago.

Mr Punch
01-23-2009, 11:18 AM
some of the most horrific images i have ever seen are of what japanese soldiers did to chinese women and children. not to mention the beheadings of chinese troops and civs.
Sure. Again, so the **** what does that have to do with Yip Man fleeing the Kuomintang?

doug maverick
01-23-2009, 12:07 PM
idk you caught me on a bad day. i dont see the movie as being racist, stereotypical maybe, but racist no.

Cat Nap
01-25-2009, 10:37 AM
Anyone that says Sammo is past his prime is clueless. Sammo has always been at the top of his game and one of the most respected directors and choreographers in Hong Kong. That said, this is a role of a life time for Donnie who did top notch work in this film. It's a huge success and rightfully so - Yip Chun was involved, and between the direction, fight scenes, Donnie, Sammo and Wu Jing - all of it came together to make a classic on par with SPL or even The Killer. Anyone who doesn't believe it knows nothing about the Hong Kong film industry and the audience over there in Asia. For Wing Chun fans, this film is a treat. It can be pre-ordered now here:

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.549938/qx/details.htm

It was originally shot in Cantonese and this DVD, which is the special edition 2 disk set, is available in English subtitles. If you have a problem with movies with subtitles, God help you; you'll be missing a lot.

Here's a couple of reviews:

http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews_2/ip_man.html

http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/ip-man/

Enjoy folks....:D

P.S. Wong Kar Wai stated after making his last film that he planned on doing Grandmaster Yip Man with Tony Leung in the starring role. However, the rights for the film expired after five years so Mandarin Films got the rights and the film was made with Donnie and Sammo. To avoid any conflict over the title, it was changed to simply Ip Man. Good for Sammo I'm sure who would have been uncomfortable with a long drawn out fight between the two as he worked with Wai on Ashes of Time.

golgo
01-25-2009, 08:41 PM
The FACT is Yip Man fled Foshan to protect his family from the Chinese Nationalists, who themselves massacred and summarily executed thousands, and whose Chang Kai Shek hated the communists more than the Japanese. The Chinese Civil war killed over 3,000,000 soldiers and uncounted (and covered up by Chinese historians) civilians. Mao is estimated to have killed 50-70,000,000 by some historians.

That doesn't change the fact that in this case, it was China's atrocity and it's high time they took responsibility for them and stopped blaming the Japanese every time they want to draw attention away from their failed policies.

I just watched the movie this weekend. Yip Man didn't flee Foshan in the movie. I think the whole movie takes place before that time period. There will be a sequel, but I have a feeling it will take place with him already in Hong Kong (since it supposed to include Bruce Lee).

Cat Nap
01-26-2009, 03:17 AM
That's exactly what is going on with the sequel. It's already in the works and will take up when he enters Hong Kong and his experiences there with Bruce Lee. It would have been too long of a story so they broke it up to two movies. Donnie Yen will resume the role of Ip Man: right now they're trying to decide whether to go with an unknown for the role of Bruce or look at singer/actor Jay Chou or actor Aaron Kwok - neither of whom have a martial art background, so I hope they go with an unknown.

doug maverick
01-26-2009, 09:36 AM
yeah we were discussing that on the previous page cat nap. at the sheer disapointed in those casting choices, not because of the ma background just because, they suck.lol

Vajramusti
01-30-2009, 10:22 AM
The Sammo Hung, Donnie Yen, Wilson Ip movie.

Saw it yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. It deals with the pre Hong Kong pre 1950 adult life of Ip Man and his challenges and shifts in fortune. A thoroughly enjoyable kung fu movie.Well photographed, well acted and well directed.

joy chaudhuri

Cat Nap
01-30-2009, 01:31 PM
I wish I knew how true to the real story it was. Unless I'm mistaken, didn't Yip Man lose his first family during the war? I thought I read about this is some of the Bruce Lee bio's over the years.

doug maverick
01-30-2009, 01:38 PM
its not that true at all really. the genral consensus is that this was a folk hero movie. nothing more.but bits of truth are thrown in here and there

Lucas
02-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Sure. Again, so the **** what does that have to do with Yip Man fleeing the Kuomintang?

Not a **** thing :D

Lucas
02-02-2009, 09:11 PM
hey doug, ive always wondered what that is a picture of in your avatar thing.

is it a camera? or is it a cannon getting ready to blast me out of the water?

or is it something else

Shaolinlueb
02-02-2009, 10:10 PM
its doug with a camera. filming me getting my butt kicked by sexy nacho ninjetta's. but all this was too much and awesome for the small pic so he cut most of it out.

Lucas
02-02-2009, 10:19 PM
:Di thought i saw some nacho cheese in there...

;)

Lucas
02-03-2009, 10:42 AM
started watching this last night. got through part 3 then had to run and go to bed. but i really enjoyed what i had seen so far.

donnie is the sh!t

doug maverick
02-03-2009, 12:07 PM
hey doug, ive always wondered what that is a picture of in your avatar thing.

is it a camera? or is it a cannon getting ready to blast me out of the water?

or is it something else

yeah like lueb said its me with a film camera.

doug maverick
04-04-2009, 01:02 PM
read on brothers read on
Sammo Hung Steps in Front of the Silver Screen To Challenge Donnie Yen in Ip Man 2
-- Ip Man 2 --
At Ip Man pre-production press conference held on March 31, it's announced that Ip Man 2 would commence filming officially in August 2009. Producer Raymond Wong and director Wilson Yip express confidence for the sequel which has a bigger budget - 100m yuan, saying that the sequel will be even more exciting.
The sequel is set in 1949, right after Ip Man arrives in Hong Kong and is about how Ip Man introduces and propagates Wing Chun in the region, and taking in a few disciples. So, in terms of timeline, there won't be Bruce Lee, and they hope that there would be Bruce Lee in Ip Man 3. While the initial plot outlines for both are done, they would not be shooting Ip Man 3, which would involve Bruce Lee, back to back with Ip Man 2 as previously intended, as they haven't finalised negotiations with Bruce Lee descendants on the rights.

Above all, martial arts choreographer Sammo Hung - the mystery heavyweight actor mentioned before - will be playing a Hung Gar master in the sequel, and will again be going toe to toe - or rather, finger to finger as the case might be - with Donnie Yen since SPL. Sammo Hung says, "As boss didn't pay me in the first, I wouldn't appear in front of the screen. This time I'm getting paid, so I'll be playing a role too."

In Hong Kong, Wing Chun, as taught by Yip Man, is being viewed as a kungfu meant only for girls, while Sammo Hung's Hung Gar is being seen as a macho form of boxing, resulting in exchanges, conflicts and rivalry between the two, with major clash between the two screen titans being main highlight of the sequel.

Fan Siu Wong and Lam Ka Tung will continue to reprise their roles in Ip Man 2. Lam Ka Tung's Li Zhe will be enlisted in the police force once again in Hong Kong while Fan Siu Wong's Jin Shan Zhao will turn over a new leaf and retire from the martial arts world (or more appropriately brigandage), becoming an ordinary citizen, and making friends with Yip Man.

With his latest 2 films, Painted Skin and Ip Man, ruling the roost at the box office, Donnie Yen, has become a "hot commodity", and apart from a share of profits, is getting a substantial pay rise from 10m yuan to 15m yuan for Ip Man 2, says, "Ip Man is indeed my landmark production, this is the first time I'm getting nomination for Best Actor award. I'm grateful to the director, for giving me so much room, presenting an unseen side of Donnie Yen, and also broadening my acting career. It's also very rare for a kungfu film to receive 12 nominations.

"I was even approached this year to be in a romance this year. However, I had to decline due to schedule conflicts. This year, I wish to challenge different roles, to go beyond the limits of my histrionics, so the characters I accept have to give the audience a different feel.

"Currently, I'll be shooting 4 films this year: Dark October (Teddy Chan), Imperial Guard (Daniel Lee), Yip Man 2 (Wilson Ip), and another one - actually it's two, but I have to make a choice between them. I'm still thinking over it, but I'll definitely do one of them. If there are other scripts, they'd have to wait till next year.

"But my main focus is Ip Man 2, it's still in scripting phase. His life undergoes tremendous changes in Hong Kong, and his mentality also changes as well but he still keeps a humble and low-profile life. But he will face more events."

Meanwhile, Gordon Chan indicates that he's still working on the film Chen Zhen and intends to invite Donnie Yen, who has given verbal agreement, to play the eponymous martyr, "We all know that Huo Yuan Jia has a disciple, his name and status, but no one knows exactly what kind of person he is." Sohu, Sina, Henan News

On a separate note, Taiwanese producer Yang Pei Pei has managed to secure the rights to making a 40-part TV version of Ip Man. It expects to begin production in September, and Yip Man's sons Yip Chun and Yip Ching would serve as the consultants. The cast is not decided yet, though Yang Pei Pei, who's after realistic martial arts scenes, is eying a martial arts actor, such as Zhao Wen Zhuo or Wu Jing. EastDay

GeneChing
04-20-2009, 03:52 PM
...but I didn't think it would earn 'best film'.

Ip Man Tops Bill at HK Film Awards (http://english.dbw.cn/system/2009/04/20/000126084.shtml)
http://english.dbw.cn   2009-04-20 08:57:25

"Ip Man," a profile of the martial arts teacher of the same name starring Donnie Yen, took top honors at the annual awards ceremony, but the low-budget "The Way We Are" took home prizes for best director Ann Hui, best actress Paw Hee Ching, and best supporting actress for Chan Lai-wun.

Best actor went to Nick Cheung, who portrayed a kidnapper who struggles to care for his wife in the action thriller "The Beast Stalker." Liu Kai-chi took home a best supporting actor award for his work in the same film.

The action-filled "Ip Man" describes how the kung fu master resisted Japanese rule in his southern Chinese hometown during the World War II era. Ip's most famous disciple was Lee, who studied with him for five years starting at age 13.

Producer Raymond Wong said he felt bad that Yen and director Wilson Yip lost in their categories but was pleased with the best film award because it "honors everyone involved in the movie."

But the sentimental favorite of the night was "The Way We Are," a rare, locally flavored film at a time when the Hong Kong industry is increasingly catering to the booming Chinese mainland market with historical and kung fu epics.

Its competitors were mainly expensive blockbusters, including John Woo's US$80 million "Red Cliff."

Paw - who in the film played a single mother raising a teenage son in Hong Kong's suburban Tin Shui Wai district - recalled how director Hui struggled to find funding.

"Such a great director faced so much pressure. She didn't have money or a big cast, but she used great passion and a serious attitude to make this movie," Paw said after collecting her best actress trophy.

She said expectations were low for the film, "we all just wanted to help Ann make a meaningful movie."

Picking up her best director award, Hui said: "When I was a student, I thought winning a prize at Cannes was the best thing. But I've matured. Now I realize that receiving an award from your own people makes me the happiest."

Woo's "Red Cliff," about an ancient Chinese battle, missed out on the major prizes but collected a slew of technical awards, including best visual effects and two art awards for art director Tim Yip.

Woo was seen chuckling after organizers showed a parody of his classic 1986 gangster film "A Better Tomorrow" that portrayed its iconic trench-coat wearing character using duck heads instead of guns to fire at his enemies. The parody was part of a lighthearted tribute to "Stealing a Roasted Duck," a short from 1909 that was the first Hong Kong-made film.

Director Wong Kar-wai presented a lifetime achievement award to veteran actress Josephine Siao, a best actress winner at the Berlin Film Festival for the 1995 film "Summer Snow."

Cat Nap
04-20-2009, 05:15 PM
I did, it was a great film. I knew Donnie wouldn't get best actor but I knew the film would win big as a whole due to the overwhelming success.

doug maverick
05-07-2009, 01:11 PM
this article has to do with a few of donnies projects, including one where he and his mentor woo ping might reunite. but at the end they mention who is going to be in ip man 2, besides sammo as a hung ga master, they will also be introducing a disciple who was good at talking with his hands.

Wanted: Donnie Yen
Wilson Yip will be directing A Chinese Ghost Story next year. Nope, Donnie Yen won't be in this but there are other versions of Dark Tales that hope to cast him.

Media Asia will be producing a comedic version of A Chinese Ghost Story, possibly directed by Gordon Chan, with Miriam Yeung as Nie Xiao Qian, possibly Huang Xiao Ming as Ning Cai Cheng, while Donnie Yen is being sought to play Yan Chi Xia. Lensing begins in November. But given that Donnie Yen's schedule is already fully packed this year, the offer has been turned down, says his manager.

Yuen Wo Ping has long been planning Heroine/Swordswoman/A Touch of Zen, a movie adaptation of one of Dark Tales' short stories. Production is expected to begin by early next year. China Film Group is producing. And yes, Donnie Yen's on Yuen Wo Ping's cast list.

Chen Zhen would be the fourth film Donnie Yen is doing this year - the others being the ongoing production Bodyguards and Assassins, 14 Blades, which begins filming in Hengdian in mid-May, and Ip Man 2. Gordon Chan would produce and Andrew Lau direct. Budget is around 60m yuan. Production would begin in Shanghai this November. After much vacillation, Donnie Yen has picked this over another comedy.

Wilson Yip reveals that a major theme in Ip Man 2 revolves around Yip Man taking in a new disciple, someone especially good at fighting, "In Cantonese, we call fighting 'talking with hands", and this disciple was 'King of Talking with Hands'.

"In the 50s, disputes often erupted between various martial arts sects, much like the underworld. The story of Ip Man and this disciple took place amidst the hubbub. The film is about the spiritual disciple and physical training of kungfu."

And if Bruce Lee ever appears in this film, he would just be a little kid. Filming begins in August. NetEase, CCTV

and before people who are not in the know speculate. its wong shueng lueng(could have spelled his name wrong, wing chun people correct me) not bruce lee.

Three Harmonies
07-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Put up a short review of "Ip Man" for any interested. Check out www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com for the review.
Cheers
Jake

Vajramusti
07-01-2009, 04:46 PM
A good review Jake. Regards,

joy chaudhuri

doug maverick
07-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Put up a short review of "Ip Man" for any interested. Check out www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com for the review.
Cheers
Jake

only thing i would say about it is that ip man is not the founder of wing chun as you incorrectly stated. other then that good review.

GeneChing
08-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Ip Man seems to be doing well in the Asian Film Festivals in America (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=953710#post953710). I wonder if we'll get an art house release?

Sequel to hit biopic about Bruce Lee's kung fu master begins filming in China (http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5juzgIt1j_cl9V5bM5MHBr2Z1pZOw)
By Min Lee (CP) – 4 hours ago

HONG KONG — Chinese filmmakers have begun shooting the sequel to the hit biopic about Bruce Lee's kung fu master, Ip Man.

Director Wilson Yip, Hong Kong action star Donnie Yen and other cast members attended a traditional Chinese ceremony Monday honouring Ip in his southern hometown, Foshan, to mark the beginning of the shoot, Hong Kong production company Mandarin Films said in a statement received Thursday.

"Ip Man," which was released in December, was named best film at the Hong Kong Film Awards in April. It made 120 million yuan ($18 million) in China and another 25 million Hong Kong dollars ($3.2 million) in Hong Kong.

The sequel does not yet have an English name.

Ip trained in the wing chun style of kung fu, which traces its roots to a monk from the famed Shaolin Temple. He left for Hong Kong in the 1940s to escape the Communist takeover of the mainland. In Hong Kong, he taught kung fu to restaurant workers but broadened his reach to hundreds of students, including Lee, before dying in 1972.

"Ip Man" ends with his departure for Hong Kong. The 100 million Chinese yuan ($15 million) sequel, which will be released in the summer of 2010, focuses on his life in Hong Kong, the Mandarin Films statement said.

Lee will be played by the 10-year-old Chinese child actor Jiang Daiyan, and the film shoot will take place mostly on a set in Shanghai.

Hong Kong art-house director Wong Kar-wai is also planning a biopic of Ip starring Cannes best actor winner Tony Leung Chiu-wai.

sanjuro_ronin
01-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Ok, so I FINALLY got to see this movie.
I really did like it I must say.
Ah, if only WC looked like that in real life ;)
My wife really enjoyed the movie too, which is always a good thing.
Funny part, up until the fight vs the 10 Karateka she was not impressed with WC and then she was blown away !

<<SIDE NOTE:
She turns to me and says,'Isn't that what you did to Claudio last summer are his brothers bar-b-que?"
She was referring to my brother-in-laws brother who is a Cop and a MMA guy and how we were clowning around last summer. >>

I must say, Donnie can make any MA look good, that is a given, but he really sold the WC in this movie.
The historical crap aside ( Just like you have to put it aside in Fearless and such) it was a very enjoyable movie that made me wanna "Go Ip Man on someones ass!!!"

:D

SevenStar
07-07-2010, 09:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt34aHAFkV8&feature=fvw

anyone seen this? apparently there is also a second movie now.

GeneChing
07-07-2010, 10:03 AM
There are 5 Ip Man flicks we've been discussing.

This thread is #1. Here's #2 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56421). Here's #3 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57165)(in production). Then there's the others, Legend is Born (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57189), which just dropped I think and Grandmaster (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53227), which has been plagued with issues but has incredible potential given who is involved.

SevenStar
07-07-2010, 07:44 PM
lol, looks like I've got some catching up to do.

Faruq
08-15-2010, 07:49 PM
does anyone know what style Chen Zhi Hui ... Master Liao was supposed to be doing in the film?

vatesi
08-15-2010, 10:34 PM
Chow gar, i.e. Southern Mantis I believe.

Faruq
08-16-2010, 08:06 AM
Thank you.

GeneChing
10-28-2010, 11:42 AM
It's been shown at Festivals but this is the first run in a regular theater in our area. Ip Man opens at the 4 Star (http://www.lntsf.com/4-star_theatre) in San Francisco on 10/29/2010. Would that be enough cause for an SF KFM forum gathering? :cool:

GeneChing
10-29-2010, 10:09 AM
It would be fun on the big screen for sure. Also I want to support the 4 Star for running it. It's just finding the time to get up to S.F. for a movie...

Review: 'Ip Man' is a fun kung-fu throwback movie (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/10/29/MVVE1G2119.DTL&type=movies)
G. Allen Johnson, Chronicle Staff Writer
Friday, October 29, 2010

POLITE APPLAUSE Action. Starring Donnie Yen, Simon Yam, Lynn Hung. Directed by Wilson Yip. In Cantonese, Mandarin and Japanese with subtitles. (Not rated. 106 minutes. At the 4 Star.)

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2010/10/27/dd-ipman29_ph_0502451390_part6.jpg
Mandarin Films Distribution
Donnie Yen gets his big break in "Ip Man" after more than two decades of mostly supporting roles in Hong Kong movies.

"Ip Man" is a throwback to those chopsocky Hong Kong films of the 1970s - a period piece filmed on obvious but eye-pleasing studio sets with wall-to-wall kung fu and a simplistic, philosophical message.

If you're of a certain age, you might have seen films like this terribly dubbed, chopped up and on local TV at 3 a.m. - or you might have seen them in their full glory at Chinatown movie houses.

But this is a 2008 movie, a huge hit in China and Hong Kong that finally made Donnie Yen, a second and third banana for a quarter of a century, a major box office star. He is the It Man of the moment, even if his Ip Man is largely fictional.

Ip Man, or Yip Man, was a real guy. He lived from 1893-1972 and is considered the first martial arts master of the now popular Wing Chun style of kung fu - his many disciples included Bruce Lee. Wilson Yip's film focuses on Ip Man's life in his hometown of Foshon, China, in the 1930s, when the Japanese invaded much of China. Ip Man and his family - his wife (Lynn Hung) and their young son - are ousted from their family home by the Japanese, who use it as a military headquarters. Ip Man closes his martial arts school, sets his family up in a shanty and works in a labor camp.

It isn't long before he emerges from anonymity, as the Japanese are killing Chinese volunteers in martial arts tournaments designed to prove Japanese superiority. Ip Man takes up the challenge and becomes a rallying cry for the oppressed Chinese.

With amusing bursts of comic book dialogue ("My northern boxing has lost to your southern one!"), it isn't Shakespeare. But it's a highly entertaining, big-budget, kick-butt kung fu movie, the best of its kind since Jet Li's "Fearless" in 2006.

At its center is a charismatic star. Yen was born in China, raised in Boston and has been in Hong Kong movies since the mid-1980s, mostly in supporting roles (Western viewers might know him best from his fight scene with Li in Zhang Yimou's "Hero," or roles in Hollywood films like "Blade II" and "Highlander: Endgame"). Since "Ip Man" was released in 2008, he's had a string of hits - "Bodyguards and Assassins," "Ip Man 2" - and at age 47 is finally getting the fame he deserves.

Advisory: Lots of bone-crunching kung fu fight scenes, but otherwise clean entertainment.

ghostexorcist
01-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Has anyone else seen this funny parody of the last fight scene?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NXLIlNrYNA

GeneChing
11-01-2013, 10:06 AM
Enter to win a IP MAN GRAND PRIZE (http://www.kungfumagazine.net/index.html) (3 DVDS: Ip Man, Ip Man 2: Legend of the Grandmaster & Ip Man: The Final Fight)! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 11/14/13. Good luck everyone!

GeneChing
04-17-2015, 01:52 PM
Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for 'BEST OF DONNIE YEN' PRIZE PACK (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/sweepstakes-best-of-donnie-yen.php) including 5 Donnie Yen films on Blu-Ray™: IP MAN (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?52218-Ip-Man-starring-Donnie-Yen), IP MAN 2 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?56421-Ip-Man-2), ICEMAN (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?62460-Iceman-冰封俠), FLASH POINT (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?38795-Spl?), & LEGEND OF THE FIST (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?55650-Legend-of-the-Fist-The-Return-of-Chen-Zhen)!!! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 4/30/15.

GeneChing
05-04-2015, 11:48 AM
See our KUNG FU KILLER: ‘BEST OF DONNIE YEN’ PRIZE PACK winners (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68626-KUNG-FU-KILLER-%91BEST-OF-DONNIE-YEN%92-PRIZE-PACK-winners) thread.