PDA

View Full Version : Some Sparring

WinterPalm
10-15-2008, 09:01 PM
Just a little clip from the other day.
I've been trying to work more on the knees in the clinch rather than throwing so the takedowns are pretty minimal in this session.

Highlights to look for:
1) Adjusting of the pants
2) The spinning backfist
3) The superman punch

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IhuWHA_WWc

sanjuro_ronin
10-16-2008, 04:16 AM
You really need to keep your hands up when kicking and punching...

uki
10-16-2008, 04:35 AM
and take the head helmet off, seems to be getting in the way of your vision and aim... actually, if you take all the pads off, you'll be more concentrated on defense and proper execution of timing your strikes... it seems the more pads people wear, the more shots they allow themselves to take...:p

sanjuro_ronin
10-16-2008, 04:40 AM
and take the head helmet off, seems to be getting in the way of your vision and aim... actually, if you take all the pads off, you'll be more concentrated on defense and proper execution of timing your strikes... it seems the more pads people wear, the more shots they allow themselves to take...:p

If they are training for Sanda, they need to train with the gear they will be fighting in.

Oso
10-16-2008, 05:25 AM
just a suggestion but you might want to tape off a section of floor to work on ring awareness.

oh, just thought...you might be fighting in an actual ring so no 'ring out' ???

SimonM
10-16-2008, 05:30 AM
If they are training for Sanda, they need to train with the gear they will be fighting in.

Uki isn't training for anything. He doesn't spar, he doesn't take martial arts classes nor is he a sifu. He juggles iron balls. That's his kung fu - kung fu juggling.

So his ignorance about training is excusable as being just part of his over-all training.

sanjuro_ronin
10-16-2008, 05:38 AM
Uki isn't training for anything. He doesn't spar, he doesn't take martial arts classes nor is he a sifu. He juggles iron balls. That's his kung fu - kung fu juggling.

So his ignorance about training is excusable as being just part of his over-all training.

Iron ball juggling?
Is this a chi kung version of tea bagging?

SimonM
10-16-2008, 05:50 AM
You just made me spray coffee out of my nose.

WinterPalm
10-16-2008, 05:52 AM
I'm the guy in the white gloves, if that helps. Yeah, my hands tend to float.

When I'm actively training for San Da competition we tape off a ring.

uki
10-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Uki isn't training for anything. anything is something.

He doesn't spar, he doesn't take martial arts classes nor is he a sifu.because there is no need to prove myself to anyone.

He juggles iron balls.heavy ones...

That's his kung fu - kung fu juggling.i doubt anyone would like me to bust them in the face with a palm strike...

So his ignorance about training is excusable as being just part of his over-all training.your ignorance blinds you to the fact that i am a mason and i can probably knock you right the *bleep* out... and that's simply because of my daily job. :p

SimonM
10-16-2008, 11:40 AM
:D I am not concerned.

uki
10-16-2008, 11:42 AM
:D I am not concerned.good. the feeling is genuinely mutual...

SimonM
10-16-2008, 12:15 PM
I think I hit a nerve here Uki... feeling like you might secretly be a LARPer?

WinterPalm
10-16-2008, 12:53 PM
This thread has gone in a magnificent direction I might add.

No, juggling metal balls is not martial arts. Hand eye coordination and motor reflex skills are something worth having, but certainly not all you need for martial arts.

Oh well.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-16-2008, 01:44 PM
i've been out of the game for so long id feel like an asshat trying to offer any criticisim or advice on your sparring. but i do think you should squat more.

also i really like the music choice. i could see naplam death being born out of that song which gives me warm fuzzies.

sanjuro_ronin
10-16-2008, 01:45 PM
i've been out of the game for so long id feel like an asshat trying to offer any criticisim or advice on your sparring. but i do think you should squat more.

lol !
Too perfect.

WinterPalm
10-16-2008, 02:19 PM

also i really like the music choice. i could see naplam death being born out of that song which gives me warm fuzzies.

At least you're honest.:D

I rarely get around to weight training what with kickboxing several times a week, bjj several times a week, then doing my conditioning...it just never factors up there as all that important. I do get to roll with guys much bigger and stronger, including randori...so that has to count for something.
Maybe if I squat more I will hold my hands up better?

uki
10-16-2008, 05:10 PM
This thread has gone in a magnificent direction I might add.and who would've thought you sparring could have such lasting implications to martial artists across the forums.

No, juggling metal balls is not martial arts.i like calling it a martial arts adjective.

Hand eye coordination and motor reflex skills are something worth having, but certainly not all you need for martial arts.true, which is why it is not the only thing i do. i'd be willing to place money on the fact that if you juggled nine pound iron balls daily for a few months that you'd be an even better martial artist than you are right now... like adding a new and flavourful spice to an old and bland recipe.

Oh well.perhaps you should stand like a mountain and blow like the wind the next time you spar... i personally don't like to expend extra energy in performing movements that i do not need; of course this is my particular angle of the vision. tigers like to stand still until the pounce...

I think I hit a nerve here Uki... of course... we all got them.

feeling like you might secretly be a LARPer?in all honesty... i have no idea what you are referring to, really.... what's with the acronym? i have seen it around the boards.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Maybe if I squat more I will hold my hands up better?

squatting more makes everything better.

David Jamieson
10-17-2008, 03:26 AM
Larpers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw)

Often found in wooded areas or in open fields on occasion.

MasterKiller
10-17-2008, 03:55 AM
squatting more makes everything better.

Squatting improved my Call of Duty 4 headshot percentages.

uki
10-17-2008, 04:33 AM
Often found in wooded areas or in open fields on occasion.ah ha.... nope, not me... does playing dungeons and dragons as a youth count?:D

SimonM
10-17-2008, 05:29 AM
My appologies Winterpalm. I'll take my continuing games with Uki to a different thread if you would rather have something resembling serious discussion. ;)

lkfmdc
10-17-2008, 05:51 AM
Uki isn't training for anything. He doesn't spar, he doesn't take martial arts classes nor is he a sifu.

He juggles balls, with his tongue. That's his kung fu - ball juggling.

there, fixed that for you.....

sanjuro_ronin
10-17-2008, 06:17 AM
there, fixed that for you.....

Back to the tea bagging thing eh?

GreenCloudCLF
10-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Just a little clip from the other day.
I've been trying to work more on the knees in the clinch rather than throwing so the takedowns are pretty minimal in this session.

Highlights to look for:
1) Adjusting of the pants
2) The spinning backfist
3) The superman punch

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IhuWHA_WWc

Hit up the tanning booth. Unless blinding your opponent with your whiteness is part of your skill. You are whiter than your gloves...:D j/k

TenTigers
10-17-2008, 11:35 AM
1)keep your guard up

2) although spinning backfist is a good "bail-out" you need to set it up offensively more. Hands dropped during this as well-see #1

3) target your strikes, too many of your flurries were only to his guard/forearms, rather than to specific targets (unless you were doing a Rocky Marchiano techniques, wher he would pummel his opponents' arms, and then when they couldn't hold them up, he would go in for the kill.-which you most likely weren't)

4) too much separation. Go in and stay in and finish him. Never give your opponent chance to recover, physically, or mentally.

5) mix up your strikes. Too much headhunting, not enough body blows. You are becomming too predictable, and then you will be open

6)attack the attack, don't play so defensively. You block, step back and then try to go in, rather than shutting him down immediately and finishing.

7) follow up, follow up, follow up

8)spin backfist to a spin kick was counterproductive. You were in, then you lost it by stepping back and throwing a telegraphed long range sweeping kick. Use your kicks to set up yuor hands, use your hands to set up your kicks. Learn to throw the spinning hook kick at closer range-check out vids of Kyokushin fighters. They drop their opponents with these from a closer range.
Of course if you do this poorly, without a good set-up, you can be hooked and swept, so it is a skill that must be understood.

9)keep up the good work!

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-17-2008, 01:28 PM
Squatting improved my Call of Duty 4 headshot percentages.

i had cancer once, but squatting got rid of it.

the doctors said it had more to do with the bone marrow transplant, but i only did the transplant to prove my girlfriend wrong when she said i wouldnt do it. what do the doctors know anyway. they probably don't squat at all.

GreenCloudCLF
10-17-2008, 01:30 PM
i had cancer once, but squatting got rid of it.

the doctors said it had more to do with the bone marrow transplant, but i only did the transplant to prove my girlfriend wrong when she said i wouldnt do it. what do the doctors know anyway. they probably don't squat at all.

Anyone who is squatting is wasting time that can be used doing deadlifts...

TenTigers
10-17-2008, 01:43 PM
"Anyone who is squatting is wasting time that can be used doing deadlifts..."

you obvioulsly have never been to a public toilet in Hong Kong.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Anyone who is squatting is wasting time that can be used doing deadlifts...

you have presented the only posssible valid argument that something could be almost as good or worthwhile as squatting. i'm not saying that you're right, but i admit that i can not prove you wrong. touche good sir.

WinterPalm
10-17-2008, 08:06 PM
1)keep your guard up

2) although spinning backfist is a good "bail-out" you need to set it up offensively more. Hands dropped during this as well-see #1

3) target your strikes, too many of your flurries were only to his guard/forearms, rather than to specific targets (unless you were doing a Rocky Marchiano techniques, wher he would pummel his opponents' arms, and then when they couldn't hold them up, he would go in for the kill.-which you most likely weren't)

4) too much separation. Go in and stay in and finish him. Never give your opponent chance to recover, physically, or mentally.

5) mix up your strikes. Too much headhunting, not enough body blows. You are becomming too predictable, and then you will be open

6)attack the attack, don't play so defensively. You block, step back and then try to go in, rather than shutting him down immediately and finishing.

7) follow up, follow up, follow up

8)spin backfist to a spin kick was counterproductive. You were in, then you lost it by stepping back and throwing a telegraphed long range sweeping kick. Use your kicks to set up yuor hands, use your hands to set up your kicks. Learn to throw the spinning hook kick at closer range-check out vids of Kyokushin fighters. They drop their opponents with these from a closer range.
Of course if you do this poorly, without a good set-up, you can be hooked and swept, so it is a skill that must be understood.

9)keep up the good work!

Thanks for the advice!

1) I'm always working on this.
2) I'm not a fan of using it aggressively, just defensively.
3.) I usually mix it up but the way the guy crouches and covers up makes it hard but I'm working on mixing up my angles more.
4) This was just medium contact sparring. If we go hard I try to do this.
5) I target the body and the legs with my kicks and throw these shots more often than other things.
6) I'm naturally a counter fighter-potshot type of guy. Again, something I'm trying to work on. In this vid I was really trying to work on just shielding the shots but usually I'm circling or clinching.
7) Yeah, again, something I'm trying to work on!
8) Rarely use these as the vid indicates! I'll keep that in mind though!
9) Thanks, I'll toss these things in next time and see how it goes!

WinterPalm
10-17-2008, 08:08 PM
Oh yeah, I don't mind the ball juggling or licking or whatever conversation in here.:D

SimonM
10-17-2008, 09:05 PM
"Anyone who is squatting is wasting time that can be used doing deadlifts..."

you obvioulsly have never been to a public toilet in Hong Kong.

See your metropolitan Chinese toilet; raise you rural Shanxi. :D

uki
10-18-2008, 04:05 AM
Unless blinding your opponent with your whiteness is part of your skill. blinding worked for the angels that came to lots house...

you obvioulsly have never been to a public toilet in Hong Kong.or italy.