PDA

View Full Version : Improvised Weaponry

sanjuro_ronin
10-16-2008, 06:12 AM
Concealed and improvised weapons can be the great equalizers on the dreaded street.

Sometimes the most "everyday" of things can be quite lethal, things like a pen, a pencil, car keys, 12 ft python, cyanide spray :D

Sonny Umpada, the great knife fighter, told a story how he took out 2 guys with a pen that wanted his watch and we al know what Joe Pesci can do with one ;)

Any thoughts?

sanjuro_ronin
10-16-2008, 06:15 AM
Sneaky ******* for the win:

The other day I had a private training session with a couple friends, one was a 2nd BB in Hapkido and the other a oruple belt in BJJ and BB in judo.
We were doing stick and knife work in what we call our "reality session", after about a 45 min workout we chill for a bit, put on street clothes and head gear and do MMA and stick and knife work.
I decided to take a page from "The Gospel According to Marc Denny" and snuck in 2 folding trainers.
First in the MMA portion of it, I was in my buddies guard and and as I was breaking it he went for a triangle attempt to set my up for one of his fav moves, I decided this was an ideal time to "cheat", I non-chalantly pulled the folder and stabbed and slashed him 100 ways to Sunday.
Lesson learned, or was it?
During our FC stick work he took me down and went for the arm bar, smart boy that he is he went for the right arm, I being the sneaky ******* that I was went with it, turn into it as much as I could to give me time to reach with my left hand to my other folder in my left pocket and stabbed him again, over and over.

Point made:
Sport is great and the best way to test our specific skillsets but we also need to get out of our sport mode every so often and remember that, whiel sport is controlled with very limited unknowns, the situation is reversed in a "street" confrontation.
Just because someone is right handed doesn't mean we can lose track of their left, nor can we assume that we know where a weapon is.may be.

SimonM
10-16-2008, 09:21 AM
Handling a blade is one of the few activities I'd consider myself ambidexterous at. I am generally very left handed.

Lucas
10-16-2008, 10:45 AM
before I got into the habbit of carrying a knife with me, if i was in an area of town that was sketchy, I would find things on the ground I could use.

Carry a rock in my pocket.

I piece of a car from a wreck. broken reflector/metal scrap.

Once I put a shopping cart on the train tracks and it left miles of very thin sharp steel pieces.

If you are jackie chan or jet li you wear a belt when you dont need to, so you can take it off without your pants falling down and use it as a whip chain.

edit:

one of my fav. street sweeper blades. thin, sharp, and easy to put in a throat. easy to hid in your hand too.

uki
10-16-2008, 11:25 AM
let your fingernails grow, file them into points, and keep the dirt under them so that when you tear into someones flesh you can probably drop off some bacteria which will lead to further infection... i don't care what ya'll tend to think, but having your face clawed off is the fight-ender...

i have a small cow-horn i found while picking mushrooms... fits in the hand perfectly and doesn't set off the metal detector.

sanjuro_ronin
10-16-2008, 11:39 AM
let your fingernails grow, file them into points, and keep the dirt under them so that when you tear into someones flesh you can probably drop off some bacteria which will lead to further infection... i don't care what ya'll tend to think, but having your face clawed off is the fight-ender...

i have a small cow-horn i found while picking mushrooms... fits in the hand perfectly and doesn't set off the metal detector.

*shakes head*, dude...

uki
10-16-2008, 11:44 AM
*shakes head*, dude...what... was that alittle too much macgyver for ya? don't ask what we think if you don't wish to read what we have to say... eh?

sanjuro_ronin
10-16-2008, 11:47 AM
what... was that alittle too much macgyver for ya? don't ask what we think if you don't wish to read what we have to say... eh?

McGuyver?
LOL !
Seriously?
You are right though, on this forum, I should watch what I ask !
I am a little be confused as to why you think that sharpened fingernails will make that much of a difference?
I mean, if that was the case we all be throwing hissy fits like women !
:D

uki
10-16-2008, 12:08 PM
I am a little be confused as to why you think that sharpened fingernails will make that much of a difference?
it was the first thing that popped into my head at the thought of improvising weapons, yet this weapon is connected to the body and not external from it... your fingernails go where-ever your person goes... anywhere and everywhere... unless of course you have the bad luck of having them pulled out. in reality, everything is a weapon.

sanjuro_ronin
10-16-2008, 12:16 PM
it was the first thing that popped into my head at the thought of improvising weapons, yet this weapon is connected to the body and not external from it... your fingernails go where-ever your person goes... anywhere and everywhere... unless of course you have the bad luck of having them pulled out. in reality, everything is a weapon.

Granted, nevertheless, if people are able to fight on after being stabbed and slashed by STEEL blades, what makes you think fingernails and raking?

uki
10-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Granted, nevertheless, if people are able to fight on after being stabbed and slashed by STEEL blades, what makes you think fingernails and raking?raking goes for the eyes... no see... no fight.

sanjuro_ronin
10-16-2008, 01:13 PM
raking goes for the eyes... no see... no fight.

Hard to rake the eyes when you are getting punched in the face, heck, most guys miss the head completely much less get the eyes...

But I guess its AN option.

uki
10-16-2008, 01:23 PM
But I guess its AN option.the more options, the better the outcome.

cjurakpt
10-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Chan Tai San had fingernails like iron - I don't know if he filed them or anything, but they tapered into points...

as far as improvised weaponry...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0ScNLt2zNc

sanjuro_ronin
10-17-2008, 04:13 AM
Chan Tai San had fingernails like iron - I don't know if he filed them or anything, but they tapered into points...

as far as improvised weaponry...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0ScNLt2zNc

That is one of the best and most underrated fight scenes in the movies.
A good pen can be a lethal weapon, heck even a crappy one can do some damage.

As for the fingernails thing, while it holds a bit more credibility now that you mention GM Chan, I would still not rate it up there.

uki
10-17-2008, 04:36 AM
I would still not rate it up there.it's like cooking spices... you have many of them, yet if you use too much of one, you'll ruin the recipe.

CFT
10-17-2008, 04:54 AM
How pointy must the fingernails be? Can't see how you can hold a proper fist, unless you're conditioning your palms as well?

SimonM
10-17-2008, 06:47 AM
Being an intelligent high-order primate I'll use my rational brain to make use of tools to improve my competitiveness...

As opposed to depending on pointy finger nails.

uki
10-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Being an intelligent high-order primate I'll use my rational brain to make use of tools to improve my competitiveness...

As opposed to depending on pointy finger nails.sometimes there is nothing else to rely on... a skilled mind would take advantage of anything and everything.... assimilating, analyzing, categorizing, and storing it in the accessible reaches of the unconscious mind.

cjurakpt
10-17-2008, 01:50 PM
That is one of the best and most underrated fight scenes in the movies.
Yes! the first time I saw it, I was riveted - Cusack, BTW, is a student of Urquidez, which makes it even cooler; but yeah, it's pretty "real" - to quote Hobbes, it is, like life, "nasty, brutish and short"

As for the fingernails thing, while it holds a bit more credibility now that you mention GM Chan, I would still not rate it up there.
I think his focus was more for grabbing and poking, as opposed to raking, as they were not so much sharp and point but tapered stubs - really, really hard, taperd stubs...

uki
10-18-2008, 02:14 PM
some other great ideas are large conch shells that your hands can grip into to form shell-gloves.

books wielded with two hands onto the cranium.

deer antlers, cow bones.

samson of the old testament ripped a donkeys jawbone out and slayed 1000 philistines with it.

juggling clubs... some folks attempt to steal money out of the hat..

skeeballs can be held in the hand, much like iron juggle balls, to serve as a clubbing device...

throwing cinder blocks, bricks, and stones(aswell as holding them)

a nailgun.

block hammers can be thrown into the face or solar plexus.

concrete rakes funtion as a decent polearm.

trowels function similar to tonfu's, save with edges.

lets not forget beer bottles and scotch handles.

throwing clams...

soup cans...

how about running someone down with a shopping cart... :D

Lee Chiang Po
10-18-2008, 08:55 PM
When I was a young man I lived in an area where you had to have an edge. A very sharp one. I loved the old straight razor. The folders. I would slip the blade into something and break it off to about an inch long. It can take a lot of stabbing to kill a fellow sometimes, and if your own life depended upon it you might get killed yourself instead before stab wounds could stop an aggressor. Cutting an arm will reduce it to useless and even bleed you to death if the cut is right. A slight cut can take a life if it is placed right. I had 2 of these. One in a hip pocket and another one in a shoe. As time progressed I would almost always get stopped and searched by the local authorities and if caught with one would be jailed and fined. Maybe even worse if I was caught with it in a fight.
It got to where I could not carry anything that looked like a blade. I also had several of the hooked bladed carpet knives with razor sharp edges on them. They would grab flesh and not let go until it was completely severed. I eventually had to come up with other weapons of self defense. I had a nice looking pin. Remove the ink cartridge and pin tip and replaced it with a bicycle spoke that had a needle sharp tip on it. I could carry this in my shirt pocket and not draw attention to myself. One click and it had a very sharp tip and could easily penetrate a skull or chest. It could be removed and used as a throwing dart too. Also, back then the half dollar coin was very common. I would have at least 4 of these in each front pocket so that I could reach them with either hand. I practiced daily with these as throwing darts and you would not believe the damage one could do to a face or head. I could throw one completely through a wall into the next room unless it was insulated. 2 or 3 os these in quick succession and your aggressor or victim, which ever, would have taken a defensive posture or be trying to get out of the way and this would give me time to rush in and take advantage of it. Another common thing was to have taps put onto your shoes along the outer edges, front tips and back center of the heels. Made a lot of noise when you walked on concrete, but you could do nasty damage with them. I had a friend, a rather nasty individual, that would have razor inserts in the outer edges of his street shoes. And another good one was the old GI belts you could buy in army/navy stores. You could sharpen the edges to razor sharpness and used to slap with it could do some very serious damage.
Aside from all this, hands trained in sand buckets can cause a lot of hurt to an aggressor.
Survival fighting is not about sport or fighting fair. It is about winning and surviving.

uki
10-19-2008, 05:17 AM
Survival fighting is not about sport or fighting fair. It is about winning and surviving.my man!!! the reality of life...

TenTigers
10-19-2008, 12:21 PM
anything can become a weapon in th right hands. Take a credit card,bend it back and forth until it breaks and you can slit a throat with it.
I bought a ballistic pen-it writes and has an aircraft aluminum barrel with a knurled grip. You can buy a cross pen which is just as good. I now carry these.
I have these cool chinese bookmarks made out of brass with sharp edges.
metal watch bands have those clips that are similar to military belt buckles-these can also be sharpened.
you can break a lightbulb and the shards are deadly.
a metal business card holder can have a sharpened edge as well -goes great with your cross pen set, and watch.
Those metal notebook cases that the building inspectors carry are pretty neat.
I should change my name to Nicholai Hel.

TenTigers
10-19-2008, 12:23 PM
from now on, thanks to Uki, I will now also carry a pocket full of clams.

uki
10-19-2008, 12:24 PM
from now on, thanks to Uki, I will now also carry a pocket full of clams.cherrystones are the biggest i believe... :D

TenTigers
10-19-2008, 12:26 PM
my SPM teacher has pointy fingernails as well.
I play guitar, so it's a hinderance.

uki
10-19-2008, 12:29 PM
my SPM teacher has pointy fingernails as well.
I play guitar, so it's a hinderance.guitar strings are good for choking and severing the arteries in the neck... and obviously a guitar serves as a nice blunt tramua weapon.

TenTigers
10-19-2008, 12:35 PM
I also have steel capped black sneakers from sears. They look like regular reboks. I used to wear them when I did security. They're not very comfortable, and the toe's of my socks always got holes in them, but they did the trick.

cjurakpt
10-19-2008, 02:19 PM
how about running someone down with a shopping cart... :D

yeah, you gotta be real cautious around those old bags at the local supermarket...;)

uki
10-19-2008, 02:21 PM
yeah, you gotta be real cautious around those old bags at the local supermarket...;)especcially the motorized ones.

cjurakpt
10-19-2008, 02:26 PM
especcially the motorized ones.

yeah, they have those things set on "rabbit" more often then not...

lkfmdc
10-19-2008, 07:36 PM
improvised weapons? how about an automatic umbrella, open it in a guy's face, then stick something right through it, like, uh, a screw driver

(this post just for Chris Jurak PT)

cjurakpt
10-19-2008, 07:41 PM
improvised weapons? how about an automatic umbrella, open it in a guy's face, then stick something right through it, like, uh, a screw driver

(this post just for Chris Jurak PT)

oh, ya beat me to the punch - you KNOW I was thinking about that one, I just didn't get around to posting it

grrrrrrrrr

TenTigers
10-19-2008, 09:36 PM
yeah, you thought you was kiddin...

http://www.real-self-defense.com/umbrella1.html
this guy could have a showdown with LamaPaiSifu.
(I can only imagine what it can do to a walnut)

uki
10-20-2008, 03:36 AM
i suppose one of the best weapons one can wield is the ability to play the fool...

sanjuro_ronin
10-20-2008, 05:44 AM
anything can become a weapon in th right hands. Take a credit card,bend it back and forth until it breaks and you can slit a throat with it.
I bought a ballistic pen-it writes and has an aircraft aluminum barrel with a knurled grip. You can buy a cross pen which is just as good. I now carry these.
I have these cool chinese bookmarks made out of brass with sharp edges.
metal watch bands have those clips that are similar to military belt buckles-these can also be sharpened.
you can break a lightbulb and the shards are deadly.
a metal business card holder can have a sharpened edge as well -goes great with your cross pen set, and watch.
Those metal notebook cases that the building inspectors carry are pretty neat.
I should change my name to Nicholai Hel.

Shibumi is not un-reachable my friend !

TenTigers
10-20-2008, 08:03 AM
ahhhh, caught it.
I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that.:cool:
mucho cool points to Sanjuro!

sanjuro_ronin
10-20-2008, 08:06 AM
ahhhh, caught it.
I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that.:cool:
mucho cool points to Sanjuro!

I felt your intention with my proximity sense.

TenTigers
10-20-2008, 08:25 AM
If it wasn't for Nicholai Hel, I would never have learned about ,"Naked Kill," the dangers of a whiteout, "The Delight of the Razor," "Punishing," and the game of Go.
I loaned out my last copy, but Hel has a priceless quote on his opinion of Sociology.

sanjuro_ronin
10-20-2008, 08:28 AM
If it wasn't for Nicholai Hel, I would never have learned about ,"Naked Kill," the dangers of a whiteout, "The Delight of the Razor," "Punishing," and the game of Go.
I loaned out my last copy, but Hel has a priceless quote on his opinion of Sociology.

And the merchant class !
I actually tried some spelunking because of that book, LOL !
Not my bag of tea, but I am still curious about those pleasure houses in Morocco.
;)

TenTigers
10-20-2008, 08:35 AM
"By the soggy balls of John the Baptist!"
and other great epithets by Le Cagot

to this day, I am shocked that nobody ever made it into a movie.

sanjuro_ronin
10-20-2008, 08:38 AM
"By the soggy balls of John the Baptist!"
and other great epithets by Le Cagot

to this day, I am shocked that nobody ever made it into a movie.

True, they made the "eiger Sanction" from the same author.
I mean "would a cow lick Lot's wife" ?
It would be a way cool movie though, even better TV series perhaps.

TenTigers
10-20-2008, 08:41 AM
I spoke too soon-yet unreleased, Shibumi, starring Keanu Reeves as Nicholai Hel.
Keanu wouldn't have been my choice. More like a Brad Pitt, or Russel Crowe.
Years ago, a younger Christopher Walken would've been great.

sanjuro_ronin
10-20-2008, 08:50 AM
I spoke too soon-yet unreleased, Shibumi, starring Keanu Reeves as Nicholai Hel.
Keanu wouldn't have been my choice. More like a Brad Pitt, or Russel Crowe.
Years ago, a younger Christopher Walken would've been great.

Surely you jest !

TenTigers
10-20-2008, 08:56 AM
http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/426504/Shibumi/details
doesn't show a release date, I am totally stoked for this!

sanjuro_ronin
10-20-2008, 09:01 AM
http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/426504/Shibumi/details
doesn't show a release date, I am totally stoked for this!

Dude, I don't think they have even started casting yet, other then Keanu...

sanjuro_ronin
10-20-2008, 01:20 PM
By the way Bro, the Hel Character actually appeared in the Master of Kung Fu comic series in the early 80's as the Russian Assasin, Ghost Maker, the even mention the system "naked Kill".
I think in that 2 part series he is called Nicolai Alexandrovitch, though I am not 100% sure on the last name...