PDA

View Full Version : Fan Xudong info/age

Redfish
10-17-2008, 05:58 AM
Hi all,

Having a very interesting discussion in the new Facebook group. Someone (I don't want to say who unless he chooses to come on here, respecting privacy etc) has posted a lot of corrections to the recently posted history chapter from Master Kai Uwe Pel's book.

This guy's refuting of many points brings up so many interesting areas. He has a lot of information and has named one of the sources as a book written by Wang Rongsheng and passed down via his Grandson Wang Chuanyi.

Each point made can be turned into a nice post here but I want to start with one in particular and see what others think.

In the history we posted here, we put the birth date of Fan Xudong as 1841. Of course, we also write that it's not 100% certain and that there are a few contentions in the lineage timeline generally.

However, within the LGY family Seven Star Schools such as Chiu Chiman, Wong Hon Fun and Lin Boyan it is the most frequently cited date and we are happy with it for two main reasons:

1) We don't see why that generation of Luo's students would all lie about it or all have the wrong date. It seems to make sense.

2) The Shanghai Jingwu literature says that Fan Xudong himself was invited to teach after the re-opening of Jingwu by Huo Yuanjia's students (around 1915) but turned it down due to his old age. He then sent Luo Guangyu in his place.

If 1841 is about right, he would have been 74 in 1915 (for example).

Now according to the contradictory source, and I quote:

"No, he was born around three decades later than that".

This would put, for example, Fan Xudong at 44 in 1915

Can anyone offer more info on this?

Can we put together a rough time line that fits with the later (around 1870) birthdate? Perhaps the Jing Wu venture started later than the 1910's ... do we have alternative dates for when the four superlords started teaching in Jingwu?

B.Tunks
10-17-2008, 02:58 PM
what are you warning people for? you sound like someone's dad. and who is 'we'? i don't care about the content of your post i'm responding to your cheek. i read your all your posts and your general disrespectful attitude is wearing thin. snap out of it and you might earn yourself some respect.

T

Redfish
10-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Fair point Brendan. I will remove the last bit as it does have that tone.

I hope then it will read as intended. That is, someone responded to that PDF we put out and said it was basically all factually out. I'd genuinely like to see the complete alternative timeline. To put the criticisms into context.