PDA

View Full Version : Do Most Fights Go to the Ground? (Research conducted)

naja
10-17-2008, 10:25 AM
"People who have been following MMA, submission grappling and martial arts since 1994 have been aware of the increasing emphasis placed on ground fighting. Yes, a lot of the push is because ground-fighting experts are trying to convince people to become involved in their martial art or trying to attract more students to their studios. However, there is an extreme seriousness to their claims as well. People can get injured, maimed or killed if they aren’t able to defend themselves.

As a serious MMA or submission grappling fan you’ve probably either heard or read the following claims:

Ninety to Ninety-five percent of fights go to the ground; or

Most fights go to the ground

These claims have become a part of the lexicon of grappling gurus and their participating disciples, including me. However, is it true? "

The article in it's entirety can be found here:
http://jiujitsu365.wordpress.com/2008/03/11/do-most-fights-go-to-the-ground-research-i-conducted/

sanjuro_ronin
10-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Fights that will end up on the ground, eventually:
Fights in which the grappler is the better skilled and wants it on the ground.
Fights where the bigger and stronger individual wants it on the ground.
Fights where people "fall" to the ground.
Fights where footing is in question
Fights where going to the ground is a "best option" for both fighters.
Fights where there is more grappling than striking.
And a few others.

Do 90% or more of the fights end up on the ground?
Nope.
Do more fights end up on the ground than not?
Yep.

naja
10-17-2008, 10:43 AM
aw.... did you even look at the article???

Here I am trying to kick up some dirt and you go an ruin it. :p

naja
10-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Here's another one that is somewhat interesting:

Going to the Ground: Lessons from Law Enforcement (http://ejmas.com/jnc/2007jnc/jncart_Leblanc_0701.html)

sanjuro_ronin
10-17-2008, 10:51 AM
aw.... did you even look at the article???

Here I am trying to kick up some dirt and you go an ruin it. :p

:p
To you too !
LOL !
I've read them all before.
Funny thing is, in my case, I have rarely gone to the ground in any fight I have had in "the street", all my years bouncing included.
I have thrown many to the ground and followed some there to usually GnP them to an extent, I think I may have choked out a couple on the ground but typically I try to choke them standing/kneeling.
Never subbed anyone on the ground.
In competition that is totally different.

TenTigers
10-17-2008, 11:44 AM
most of the fights in schoolyards go to the ground.
Most of the fights in bars/street one guy goes to the ground, while the other guy either straight out lit him up, or he GnP, or he and his friends stomp the sh1t outta him.(what can I say? I hang out in Biker bars)
That being said, since UFC has been around for over a decade, and MMA is the new wave, everybody and their uncle will try to take you to the ground. Just look on youtube-everyone's doing it, whether they have training or not, and now since every successful school has implemented some sort of MMA curriculum, from the serious gyms to the storefront belt McDojos, this is what you will encounter.
It has become a self-fulfilled prophecy, and now is the reality.

sanjuro_ronin
10-17-2008, 11:46 AM
most of the fights in schoolyards go to the ground.
Most of the fights in bars/street one guy goes to the ground, while the other guy either straight out lit him up, or he GnP, or he and his friends stomp the sh1t outta him.(what can I say? I hang out in Biker bars)
That being said, since UFC has been around for over a decade, and MMA is the new wave, everybody and their uncle will try to take you to the ground. Just look on youtube-everyone's doing it, whether they have training or not, and now since every successful school has implemented some sort of MMA curriculum, from the serious gyms to the storefront belt McDojos, this is what you will encounter.
It has become a self-fulfilled prophecy, and now is the reality.

Truth.
Of course, like all things, this too shall pass...

unkokusai
10-17-2008, 12:06 PM
everybody and their uncle will try to take you to the ground.

Thank goodness! I hope this 'wave' lasts for a while. I much prefer people trying to take me to the ground than trying to punch me in the head.

sanjuro_ronin
10-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Thank goodness! I hope this 'wave' lasts for a while. I much prefer people trying to take me to the ground than trying to punch me in the head.

Pansy.
Yes, I said pansy.

SimonM
10-17-2008, 12:26 PM
IF I'm involved than the fight will likely involve the ground eventually. I like smacking people with the planet.

It's the look on their face when they fly over my head: :eek:

unkokusai
10-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Pansy.
Yes, I said pansy.

What? I can't have a preference? sheesh

cjurakpt
10-17-2008, 01:54 PM
conclusion: obviously all but one of us on this forum are training the wrong art...

SimonM
10-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Hey, the majority of my wrestling training is directly drawn from Kung Fu. It's just the ground stuff I've had to import.

If I move I may start up Judo but that's because a lot of the schools that have websites were less than stellar... and the only CMA in the city is a wushu school... I don't dance around in silk pjs... that is not the part of CMA that has EVER interested me despite the fact that my interests have changed considerably over time and as I have gained experience.